Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467498 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #770 on: October 15, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »
Just to use one very broad parameter: which band is getting more movement in their thread here in DTF: Haken, Leprous, POS or Sons of Apollo?

Which band's members started to talk crap about their previous band and offended a big part of their potential market?

There's no such thing as bad publicity. I highly doubt anyone would not see them or any other band because "their keyboard player makes jokes about apps"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #771 on: October 15, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
Just to use one very broad parameter: which band is getting more movement in their thread here in DTF: Haken, Leprous, POS or Sons of Apollo?

That doesn't mean jack squat. Just about any band that gets talked about around here at all always sees a lot of chatter in the weeks/months leading up to the album's release, especially if that CD is by Dream Theater or a former member.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #772 on: October 15, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »

Who's coming out with a new album? When Haken cones out with a new album thst thread will be through the roof. It's all timing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #773 on: October 15, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
Haken just finished a huge North American tour... Dream Theater is touring extensively their most famous/best album, and yet a lot of people here seem more compelled to discuss this band. And not necessarily the music aspects of it. Are you guys 100% sure this doesn't mean anything?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: October 15, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »
 Dream Theater is not touring behind a new album but neither is Haken.  That's why you're hearing the buzz. Both come out new albums threads are going through the roof.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #775 on: October 15, 2017, 06:54:44 PM »
I dunno, there's not much to talk about with a tour. There's probably a good week of buzz before people lose interest.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #776 on: October 15, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
Haken just finished a huge North American tour... Dream Theater is touring extensively their most famous/best album, and yet a lot of people here seem more compelled to discuss this band. And not necessarily the music aspects of it. Are you guys 100% sure this doesn't mean anything?

100%, yep.  There was a ton of activity in the A-Mob threads, and most people agreed that they sucked major ass.  Mike Portnoy in general always creates chatter (which you know he loves, even if the criticism drives him nuts).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #777 on: October 15, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »

Which band's members started to talk crap about their previous band and offended a big part of their potential market?

There's no such thing as bad publicity. I highly doubt anyone would not see them or any other band because "their keyboard player makes jokes about apps"

Except it isn't as benign as "their keyboard player makes jokes about apps" - you'd know that if you read the thread  :biggrin: ;)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #778 on: October 15, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »

Except it isn't as benign as "their keyboard player makes jokes about apps" - you'd know that if you read the thread  :biggrin: ;)

Well, based on the interview he did that he posted, I think it's clear that he was in clear fan boy mode with this band.  :lol :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #779 on: October 15, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »
I read the thread. And yes, I love the album! 5 days until release day. I think you'll all enjoy it.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #780 on: October 15, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »

It does mean something. Just like it meant something when people were talking about Geoff Tate and his shenanigans.  Doesn't mean that it means something good though. I'm neither buying the album nor seeing them live, unless there's a change in behavior (or even, an apology). I won't be holding my breath for those things to happen, however.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #781 on: October 15, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »

It does mean something. Just like it meant something when people were talking about Geoff Tate and his shenanigans.  Doesn't mean that it means something good though. I'm neither buying the album nor seeing them live, unless there's a change in behavior (or even, an apology). I won't be holding my breath for those things to happen, however.

I think thatīs a bit extreme...I donīt think I would not see an artist I like because of his behaviour. Maybe if he was a neonazi of some kind. But because theyīre taking jabs at a band you like? I donīt approve this, and would never do it myself, but life is short, and I take all the chances I get to see artists Iīm interested in. Malmsteen in a major a$$hole, but Iīd still see him if I had the chance. But hey, thatīs just me.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #782 on: October 15, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Rodrigo Alta
Hey, both Derek and MP posted links to my interview... major fanboy moment for me!!!!
Not that surprising when you called the album mind blowing in the first question. Even if you believe that (I doubt many will) that was a total ass kissing way to start.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #783 on: October 15, 2017, 07:29:26 PM »
Hm but you're not starting from a neutral position. You're starting from a pro position. You already want to see this band, and their behavior just isn't enough to change your mind.

However, many of us are coming from a neutral position. It's not that we need a reason to not see them, we're looking for reasons TO see them, and some of us aren't finding that.

When we have the choice to pay X amount of (insert currency here) for an event, we have to see if we want to do that. Right now, the music they released thus far and their behavior is enough to put many of us into the "nah" category. We're just choosing NOT to see them. We're not holding tickets we already bought and then choosing to waste them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #784 on: October 15, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »

Hey, both Derek and MP posted links to my interview... major fanboy moment for me!!!!
Not that surprising when you called the album mind blowing in the first question. Even if you believe that (I doubt many will) that was a total ass kissing way to start.

You may not believe it, but that was an honest comment on my part. I really like it, and have been listening to it daily since it was sent to me to prepare for the interview.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #785 on: October 15, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »

You may not believe it, but that was an honest comment on my part. I really like it, and have been listening to it daily since it was sent to me to prepare for the interview.

That is fine, but I cringe any time an interviewer comes off like a total fanboy and you passed go and collected $200 after the first question. :lol

I'm neither buying the album nor seeing them live,

Same here.  If the album pops up on YT, I will check it out, but considering how bland the first two songs are, I have no interest in spending money on it.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #786 on: October 15, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »

I believe you (despite disagreeing). But it's weird to start with that then be excited that they linked to the review. Whatever, I'm not really in this thread, just thought it was a weird way to start an interview.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #787 on: October 15, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »

That is fine, but I cringe any time an interviewer comes off like a total fanboy and you passed go and collected $200 after the first question. :lol

I'm neither buying the album nor seeing them live,

Same here.  If the album pops up on YT, I will check it out, but considering how bland the first two songs are, I have no interest in spending money on it.

Are you implying that I got paid to compliment the album? That was not the case, I write concert reviews 100% for free. That website is done by volunteers - the only one collecting money is the website owner, and the source of income is advertising.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #788 on: October 15, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
Hm but you're not starting from a neutral position. You're starting from a pro position. You already want to see this band, and their behavior just isn't enough to change your mind.

However, many of us are coming from a neutral position. It's not that we need a reason to not see them, we're looking for reasons TO see them, and some of us aren't finding that.

When we have the choice to pay X amount of (insert currency here) for an event, we have to see if we want to do that. Right now, the music they released thus far and their behavior is enough to put many of us into the "nah" category. We're just choosing NOT to see them. We're not holding tickets we already bought and then choosing to waste them.

Great post!

Even though I am longtime Mike Portnoy critic, I still have no problem buying CDs he is one as long as the music is really good.  Shoot, I am all in on any future Flying Colors studio album, as well as Neal Morse and Transatlantic of course, but I am not "Team Mike" to where I reach for my wallet any time he has a new project.  So far, what I have heard from this project sounds pretty uninteresting, and like you said, the way they have handed themselves on social media tilted the scaled the wrong way. If the music was good enough, I could ignore the white noise.  So far, it is not.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #789 on: October 15, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »

Are you implying that I got paid to compliment the album? That was not the case, I write concert reviews 100% for free. That website is done by volunteers - the only one collecting money is the website owner, and the source of income is advertising.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I take it you have never played Monopoly.  :lol :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #790 on: October 15, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »

I believe you (despite disagreeing). But it's weird to start with that then be excited that they linked to the review. Whatever, I'm not really in this thread, just thought it was a weird way to start an interview.

Why is it weird to compliment an artistīs work at the start of an interview? Iīve seen a lot of interviewers do that. Maybe not that effusively, but first and foremost Iīm a fan, and I do this because I like to write about music - I did tell him that before we started. I donīt get paid ANYTHING to write my reviews. It would be nice of course, but thatīs not the case yet, and I have zero expectations that it will ever be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: October 15, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Rodrigo, if I may...it's cool.

I think Kev's Monopoloy joke was lost in translation.

It's just that Mike and Derek's comments have been real turn offs. So much so that many may not be willing to even support this project. You like it, that's cool. Honestly, I'd leave it at that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #792 on: October 15, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I take it you have never played Monopoly.  :lol :lol

When I was six years old, yes...but never again, and Iīm 43 now.

Anyway, I donīt buy EVERYTHING that MP plays in - I donīt have any Transatlantic or Neal Morse albums. And just the same, I own the official Dream Theater releases, but not Yellow Matter Custard or all the gazillion side projects. The last time DT played at my neck of the woods it was The Astonishing, and I chose not to go because I didnīt like that album one bit, despite having given it every chance it deserved. But theyīre coming to Toronto now for I&W and I plan on seeing them. Petrucci will be back next year with G3, and count me in - Iīll be there for sure. If I like the material, Iīll go see a band, like I said before. And I like MP live, he has a very cool persona - flaws and questionable choice of backing vocals considered.

Online Adami

« Reply #793 on: October 15, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
Also complimenting the band in the interview is fine and normal.

I watch people interview actors/directors all the time and they always include a compliment for the upcoming film. I never saw it as a problem.

Now, it CAN go too far, but it didn't seem like it did here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: October 15, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »

I watch people interview actors/directors all the time and they always include a compliment for the upcoming film. I never saw it as a problem.

I'm going there.  Where's my sexy pick with the robe I got you? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #795 on: October 15, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

I'm going there.  Where's my sexy pick with the robe I got you? :lol

The robe is....no longer here. True story. When I went to visit my mom and our cat (of 14 years) in Israel last May, I brought the robe with me to show off. At one point I laid it down on the bed and then it officially became the cat's. I had no say the in matter. He spent almost all day on that thing, so clearly he claimed ownership. He still has it there and it's his favorite thing in the world last I checked.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: October 15, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
It seems poetic.

Online Adami

« Reply #797 on: October 15, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
It seems poetic.

Actually I found one I took as a joke for a girl I was dating!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pcs90

« Reply #798 on: October 15, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »
For me personally, regardless of what may have been said by a band member, I will always give the music a chance if I have any interest in checking it out. I just do not care for this album. Their comments certainly don't help, but if the music stands on its own I could totally disregard them and enjoy the tunes. Just doesn't click with me. Meanwhile I love The Astonishing even though it is a bit cheesy. Different tastes.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #799 on: October 15, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »
For me personally, regardless of what may have been said by a band member, I will always give the music a chance if I have any interest in checking it out. I just do not care for this album. Their comments certainly don't help, but if the music stands on its own I could totally disregard them and enjoy the tunes. Just doesn't click with me. Meanwhile I love The Astonishing even though it is a bit cheesy. Different tastes.

I see your point. And the only comment I have is: give the other tracks a chance. The ones released so far are not the best representation of the album. You may enjoy the rest of it!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »

Good points.  For myself, I actually didn't start neutral - I started from a "pro" position.  I wanted to like it, I wanted to be excited for it; I wanted to be "all in" so to speak.  If I had stayed that way, I would have supported them even though the music turned out to be not what I was hoping for.  I would have recommended them to people I thought would like them more than I do.  I would have seen them live (I saw Adrenaline Mob after all; this should at least be better than that).  Now, no thanks.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #801 on: October 15, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Well then, I guess Harvey Weinstein's career is really going to take off now!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #802 on: October 15, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »
So, 4 days to release left, 20th October will be a very painful day for my wallet I suppose... New Europe, Trivium and SoA... I wasn't around here for 3 days, did I miss something? ;)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: October 16, 2017, 12:29:54 AM »
I wasn't around here for 3 days, did I miss something? ;)

Same people, same points. Same people, same points. Same people, same points. Same people, same points.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #804 on: October 16, 2017, 02:36:55 AM »
I wasn't around here for 3 days, did I miss something? ;)

Same people, same points. Same people, same points. Same people, same points. Same people, same points.

Welcome to the internet, you must be new