Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468327 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #665 on: October 13, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
The new video for the making of Opus Maximus is up. Actually no obnoxious comments from either one of them. It was actually pretty nice that they named it after Max Portnoy for his 18th birthday.
I was afraid MP would say it is the MOST complex piece I have ever written on any band or something, but he didn't so shame on me. :)

Billy's solo on Opus Maximus is incredible. Aside from that, he's rather tame in the album, compared to The Winery Dogs and Mr. Big

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #666 on: October 13, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »
The new video for the making of Opus Maximus is up. Actually no obnoxious comments from either one of them. It was actually pretty nice that they named it after Max Portnoy for his 18th birthday.
I was afraid MP would say it is the MOST complex piece I have ever written on any band or something, but he didn't so shame on me. :)

Billy's solo on Opus Maximus is incredible. Aside from that, he's rather tame in the album, compared to The Winery Dogs and Mr. Big

To me, this is great news  :biggrin:

Well, he DID say something similar for an instrumental track (forgot the name) on TSOAD (he compared it to TDOE), and it ended up being ... meh, imo.

I guess he learned his lesson. That track on TSOAD was good but song writing is Neal Morse's strength and not crazy instrumentals. he mentioned throwing in some parts of unreleased Metropolis Part 2 which Derek played on. I wonder if he would have to give Petrucci a writing credit on that track?

I don't think they'll give any writing credit to JP at all. Same with DT not giving Derek any writing credits on SFAM (because they took out all Derekisms anyway).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #667 on: October 13, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
That was a joke, just an idea they had just to see if people would have noticed it. They did not actually used riffs from the Metropolis pt 2 demo on the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #668 on: October 13, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: October 13, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
It looks like Simone and Coen of Epica, right?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #670 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »
It looks like Simone and Coen of Epica, right?

It is.

Source: I looked it up when bosk  posted the video links
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #671 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:41 PM »
Plus bosk said so in this post. :P

Coen Janssen, keyboardist for Epica. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #672 on: October 13, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
:lol  Been listening to them all morning after posting that.  They've become on of my most-listened-to bands over the past year or two.  Can't get enough of their sound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #673 on: October 13, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
*tolls the bell for Stadler*

Shame. Shame.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #674 on: October 13, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
:rollin :metal  Orbert, did you watch the entire song from the Graspop video I linked to?

Or see 35:51 onward from this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXRxp-sDVY

I have never just watched that one before.  About halfway through the song, he jumps off the stage and is walking back and forth between the barricade and stage while playing, hi-fiving fans, and taking selfies.  :lol  Then he crowd surfs with it on at the end of the song.  Yeah, you can't really do that with a standard keyboard rig.

Man, I REALLY wish this show had an official BluRay release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #675 on: October 13, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
:rollin :metal  Orbert, did you watch the entire song from the Graspop video I linked to?

Or see 35:51 onward from this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXRxp-sDVY

I have never just watched that one before.  About halfway through the song, he jumps off the stage and is walking back and forth between the barricade and stage while playing, hi-fiving fans, and taking selfies.  :lol  Then he crowd surfs with it on at the end of the song.  Yeah, you can't really do that with a standard keyboard rig.

Man, I REALLY wish this show had an official BluRay release.

Thanks for posting that, I already liked Epica and these days I was listening more of them, now with these posts I'm wishing I would have seen them lilve when they were in Mexico a few weeks ago.

Well, I think we were from talking about DS tweets to wether or not Keytars are cheesy to Epica's keyboard player (and curved keyboard).

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #676 on: October 13, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
I watched the first link, but "35:51 onward" in the second link is like half an hour, and ain't nobody got time for that.  Also, by then I kinda felt like I'd seen enough, though I must admit that I've never seen a keyboard player crowd surfing while playing (and I still haven't).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #677 on: October 13, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
I watched the first link, but "35:51 onward" in the second link is like half an hour, and ain't nobody got time for that.  Also, by then I kinda felt like I'd seen enough, though I must admit that I've never seen a keyboard player crowd surfing while playing (and I still haven't).

Well, no, I just meant that one song that starts at 35:51--not the entire rest of the show (unless you so choose).  Do yourself a favor and watch it.  It's just a lot of fun seeing him (and the rest of the band) have so much fun.

Well, I think we were from talking about DS tweets to wether or not Keytars are cheesy to Epica's keyboard player (and curved keyboard).

Wait, why are we talking about DS tweets in the Epica thread?  ???

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #678 on: October 13, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
Bosk I warn you, do not further derail this thread any more!!

Also, if they'd release Labyrinth as the first single, all those in need of a good progmetal song would've been satified.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #679 on: October 13, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »

:ontome:

Offline bill1971

« Reply #680 on: October 13, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »

Well, no, I just meant that one song that starts at 35:51--not the entire rest of the show (unless you so choose).  Do yourself a favor and watch it.  It's just a lot of fun seeing him (and the rest of the band) have so much fun.

Wait, why are we talking about DS tweets in the Epica thread?  ???

because Derek tweeted

"And no girly bent keyboards, we swear!"

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #681 on: October 13, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »

Also, if they'd release Labyrinth as the first single, all those in need of a good progmetal song would've been satified.

I'll say thats true. JSS vocals sound great so does that awesome string intro.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #682 on: October 13, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
I'm late to the discussion, but a shirtless Richard Wright playing the keyboard sections of Echoes in the Pompeiian ruins is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. And him bashing the hell out of the piano on A Saucerful of Secrets on the same video would be a close 2nd.

Keyboardists can be cool. The very sharply dressed Tony Banks (Genesis) on The Way We Walk DVD is a case in point, or Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish) on End of an Era.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #683 on: October 13, 2017, 02:49:11 PM »
I'm late to the discussion, but a shirtless Richard Wright playing the keyboard sections of Echoes in the Pompeiian ruins is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. And him bashing the hell out of the piano on A Saucerful of Secrets on the same video would be a close 2nd.

YES
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #684 on: October 13, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »

Oh, I did watch it for a while, several minutes at least.  Just not the whole thing from that point on.

I'm completely torn on this.  As a keyboard player who's often wondered what it would like to front a band, or even just be able to move around while playing, I think any device which facilitates this is good.  But as a lover of watching live performances, part of me will always see it as a gimmick.  Coen strolls back and forth across the stage, seemingly just because he can.  To me, that's not just enjoying the mobility, but showing off.  Hey, it's Rock and Roll, and showcasing is a big part of that, so for many that's not a major crime.  But most guitarists don't do that.  They'll move around because it's boring standing in one place all the time, and because they can.  But it tends to look more natural to me.  During a jam, walk over here, make eye contact with the bassist and smile, make a face at the drummer, strike some Awesome Rock Poses, that kind of thing.  Coen seems like "Hey check me out!  I'm walking around, back and forth, while playing a keyboard!"

Double standard?  Absolutely.  Coen is moving around because it's boring standing in one place all the time, and because he can.  Exactly the same thing I said about guitarists.  But at some point it becomes distracting.  Most of the time, your attention is still supposed to be on the singer.  A bunch of guys walking around behind her/him doesn't add to the stage show; it confuses it.  During instrumentals, the rules are different, but it should still look natural.  Maybe that's my problem.  After all these years, it just doesn't look natural for a keyboard player to be moving around like that.  Get the fuck back to your corner and stay there!  Leave being cool to the guitarists.

Also:

If coolness was a factor, we wouldn't be listening to prog

I know, it's green.  But it's also true.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #685 on: October 13, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »

Keyboardists can be cool. The very sharply dressed Tony Banks (Genesis) on The Way We Walk DVD is a case in point, or Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish) on End of an Era.

I don' t know that anyone's ever referred to Tony Banks as "cool"  :lol

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #686 on: October 13, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
Keyboard is important to a lot of music, and often sounds cool. But the visual aspect of playing keyboards just never looks anything other than a bit dorky at best and downright embarrassing (See: keytars) at worst.

Fight me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #688 on: October 13, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »
For the first time weŽll really get to see Jeff Scott Soto shine with a great band behind him.

lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #689 on: October 13, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
For the first time weŽll really get to see Jeff Scott Soto shine with a great band behind him.

lol

Off of my aura. :lol :lol :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #690 on: October 13, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
Keyboard is important to a lot of music, and often sounds cool. But the visual aspect of playing keyboards just never looks anything other than a bit dorky at best and downright embarrassing (See: keytars) at worst.

Fight me.
All rock/metal/prog is dorky and embarrassing, that's what makes it entertaining.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #691 on: October 13, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »
My interview with Derek in English: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/derek-sherinian-keyboadist-of-sons-of-apollo-interview

I read the first one, but my Portuguese is pretty limited. However, glancing over this, I think I got most of it. :)  I figured out the "strategic wankery" line from context and having heard them say it before.  Which is good, because what it looks like in the Portuguese translation is a bit more, um, direct...

Edit: but did he really say they have octopus pedigree?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: October 13, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »

Fight me.

Fisticuffs at dawn, sir. *leaves the bar in a huff*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #693 on: October 13, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »

Fight me.

Fisticuffs at dawn, sir. *leaves the bar in a huff*

I'm down the middle, I suppose.  Most of the time, I don't really think of anything as cool or not cool; if I really like the music, that's enough, and it probably makes me think more favorably of the band visually as a result.  I don't believe I've ever actively thought that Jordan looks either cool or embarrassing with his keytar - but, I like to watch him when he brings it out, so I suppose that means I think it's cool.  I have no problem with keytars and if there's a moment in a show where it really makes sense for all of the focus to be on the keyboard player, then by all means, let's see it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #694 on: October 13, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
My interview with Derek in English: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/derek-sherinian-keyboadist-of-sons-of-apollo-interview

I read the first one, but my Portuguese is pretty limited. However, glancing over this, I think I got most of it. :)  I figured out the "strategic wankery" line from context and having heard them say it before.  Which is good, because what it looks like in the Portuguese translation is a bit more, um, direct...

Edit: but did he really say they have octopus pedigree?

Yes he did.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
No problem, let me know what you think of the interview - should I have asked anything else?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: October 13, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
I think 'Octopus Maximus' would have been an even cooler song title, personally

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #698 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
I think 'Octopus Maximus' would have been an even cooler song title, personally

Did Mike put Octavarium nuggetz here too?  :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #699 on: October 13, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »
The only reason I am still paying attention to this thread is for the silliness of their comments and the entertainment that results in this thread as a result. :lol :lol
Same here!

I'll admit that's why I'm still here.

I may eventually get this (with the instrumental version) but I don't really have to decide until I find out about tour dates and even then I might just grab a ticket on the day of the show. Or I might not.