Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467723 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #630 on: October 12, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
Good God keytars need to fucking die.

I've honestly never understood the hatred.  Keyboard players are essentially nailed to a spot because of their gear, not unlike drummers.  Someone figured out that you could package a keyboard in something portable and allow keyboard players some mobility.  What's the problem?

In the end, I think it will always come down to the impression that the keyboard player is trying to look like a guitar player. Even more so, while a guitar, especially with string bending, has some justification for physically getting into the motion, keyboards are just plastic levers that you could push with your nose if you wanted to. So when a keyboard player makes theatrics as if he was wrangling with the instrument to get that bombastic sound, it strikes a lot of people as fake, far more fake than what guitarists do.

Well you mention theatrics.  I do kind of see how sometimes when playing a keytar, some players do as you say and it does look a bit cheesy.  I don't think the instrument in and of itself is cheesy though personally. 

Coen Janssen from Epica seems pretty cool especially with his keyboard stand that moves around the stage.

He IS damn cool, especially when he goes crowd surfing in a song and still continues to play the keytar  :)

and what about this?  What kind of keyboard is this?  This one is a mobile keyboard but not in the shape of a guitar.  Is that less, more, or equally as cheesy?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #631 on: October 12, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
Lucky for us the Red Hot Chili Peppers never had a keyboard player.  Imagine playing keyboards in a sock?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #632 on: October 12, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »

I've honestly never understood the hatred.  Keyboard players are essentially nailed to a spot because of their gear, not unlike drummers.  Someone figured out that you could package a keyboard in something portable and allow keyboard players some mobility.  What's the problem?

In the end, I think it will always come down to the impression that the keyboard player is trying to look like a guitar player. Even more so, while a guitar, especially with string bending, has some justification for physically getting into the motion, keyboards are just plastic levers that you could push with your nose if you wanted to. So when a keyboard player makes theatrics as if he was wrangling with the instrument to get that bombastic sound, it strikes a lot of people as fake, far more fake than what guitarists do.

Well you mention theatrics.  I do kind of see how sometimes when playing a keytar, some players do as you say and it does look a bit cheesy.  I don't think the instrument in and of itself is cheesy though personally. 

Coen Janssen from Epica seems pretty cool especially with his keyboard stand that moves around the stage.

He IS damn cool, especially when he goes crowd surfing in a song and still continues to play the keytar  :)

and what about this?  What kind of keyboard is this?  This one is a mobile keyboard but not in the shape of a guitar.  Is that less, more, or equally as cheesy?

I remember JR once uploaded a video of him playing a christmas song on that same keyboard. It looks kind of uncomfortable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #633 on: October 12, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
The funny thing about keytars is that professional music critics have pretty much universally panned that instrument for decades, yet in one of the new Arcade Fire videos, Régine Chassagne is playing a keytar.  I am sure the heads of critics everywhere are still spinning since Arcade Fire is one of their darlings. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #634 on: October 12, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »
Who's Arcade Fire?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #635 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »
^^ It's all right, TAC.  You don't need to know who they are.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #636 on: October 12, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »
Get him a warm glass of milk and send him to bed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #637 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »
Who's Arcade Fire?
It's an old pinball machine
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #638 on: October 12, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »

Pitch-bending on a keytar is accomplished via wheel or ribbon controller.  It is a physical action not unlike bending a string.  There's also modulation which can be applied either via touch-sensitivity or the other wheel, both physical actions as well.  The sound being produced is electronic rather than electric, but simply plucking a guitar string didn't produce the screaming feedback and distortion you hear coming from the guitar either.  Ultimately, keyboards and guitars are just different ways of producing pitched sounds.

Keyboardists think of it as enjoying the same degree of mobility as a guitarist, not "trying to look like a guitar player".  That's an association made by the observer.  And because there are few basic layouts which are feasible for a mobile keyboard -- right hand here, left hand here -- they end of looking like guitars.  But again, that's an association made by the observer.  If guitars didn't exist, it would just be the shape of a mobile keyboard.

I remember JR once uploaded a video of him playing a christmas song on that same keyboard. It looks kind of uncomfortable.

That looks horrible to play.  The only possible justification for that design is that it doesn't look like a keytar.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:49:30 PM by Orbert »

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #639 on: October 12, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »

I believe he also used it during the ending of The Mirror early on the Along For The Ride tour.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline DT2003

« Reply #640 on: October 12, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »

I'm with ya', Orbert.

I agree as well. When Jordan plays his keytar, it definitely seems like one of the high points of DT shows as far as the crowd goes and it gives him a chance to let loose.  I felt the same way about Diego at The Glass Prison show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #641 on: October 12, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »
That looks horrible to play.  The only possible justification for that design is that it doesn't look like a keytar.

Nah, I think he actually prefers it.  He usually has a big grin while playing it, and he is quite proficient, playing some pretty intricate parts when he has it on.  And he will sometimes have it on for stretches of a few songs at a time, so it probably isn't nearly as uncomfortable and awkward as it looks once you are used to it.  You can't tell from the pic, but it has a padded brace that rests up against your belt buckle area to keep it stabilized and out a few inches from your torso, just like some drum racks for marching drummers.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #642 on: October 13, 2017, 03:53:24 AM »
I think these two dudes are incredibly kewl:

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #643 on: October 13, 2017, 05:04:17 AM »
If coolness was a factor, we wouldn't be listening to prog
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #644 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »
Without the album out yet, we're still going in tangents and offtopic, but we've moved from the online comments of Derek and Mike to an history of coolness of keyboard players over the years, I'd say it's an improvement.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: October 13, 2017, 06:47:28 AM »
Without the album out yet, we're still going in tangents and offtopic, but we've moved from the online comments of Derek and Mike to an history of coolness of keyboard players over the years, I'd say it's an improvement.

They still have 7 more days to say things they shouldn't on the internet which will put us back on track :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #646 on: October 13, 2017, 07:09:32 AM »
About Opus Maximus (edited :D):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3addS-uEkmo

I thought the origin of the title was kind of a joke with prog rock, but it is much cooler in fact. And, really, Max is really excellent on Phases. Listen to Kek, sincerely it's my favourite prog metal song of the year.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:23:25 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #647 on: October 13, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »
Geddy Lee's foot is cooler:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #648 on: October 13, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »

Nah, I think he actually prefers it.  He usually has a big grin while playing it, and he is quite proficient, playing some pretty intricate parts when he has it on.  And he will sometimes have it on for stretches of a few songs at a time, so it probably isn't nearly as uncomfortable and awkward as it looks once you are used to it.  You can't tell from the pic, but it has a padded brace that rests up against your belt buckle area to keep it stabilized and out a few inches from your torso, just like some drum racks for marching drummers.

It takes about 1.3 seconds for your fingers to adjust to the smaller keys, but the asymmetrical curve to the keyboard itself looks really weird and seems like it would be horrible to play.  Maybe the adjustment there isn't so bad, either.  Obviously I've never played one, never even seen one before.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #649 on: October 13, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
Labryinth and Opus Maximus sound pretty good. Thats what I was expecting from this project. Especially Labryinth.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #650 on: October 13, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »

It takes about 1.3 seconds for your fingers to adjust to the smaller keys, but the asymmetrical curve to the keyboard itself looks really weird and seems like it would be horrible to play.  Maybe the adjustment there isn't so bad, either.  Obviously I've never played one, never even seen one before.

A guy from a local band played the entire 45' minute set of their show with that, when I saw them in summer, he didn't seem really bothered by it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #651 on: October 13, 2017, 07:46:19 AM »
I was going to post a picture of Zorak:

But then I found this. Game over, folks:

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline emtee

« Reply #652 on: October 13, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
This has turned into a keyboard thread.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #653 on: October 13, 2017, 07:55:04 AM »
This has turned into a keyboard thread.

We're just waiting for more unnecesary tweets by Derek  :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #654 on: October 13, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »

A guy from a local band played the entire 45' minute set of their show with that, when I saw them in summer, he didn't seem really bothered by it.

Okay, now I'm actually curious.  What keyboard is that, and who's the guy in the picture?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #655 on: October 13, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
Coen Janssen, keyboardist for Epica. 

Check this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2eePiXahI

Or see 35:51 onward from this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXRxp-sDVY

Watching those clips, you can see a couple of advantages to that design for a "mobile" keyboard.  A keytar design doesn't easily allow for playing with both hands.  This does.  A flat keyboard mounted the same way could work, but I think for moving around, which is the whole point, it looks like this design provides a better center of gravity. 

EDIT:  Actually, here is the site for it where they discuss it and have some Epica videos that highlight Coen playing it:  https://nu-motion.com/?lang=en
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:51:21 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #656 on: October 13, 2017, 08:45:30 AM »
I liked the Labryinth story of...Mi-No-Taur. Then they decided not to use that word. Haha.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #657 on: October 13, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
I love MP but the over the top hype for this project is a bit obnoxious. (Just my opinion)
And Derek is coming off as an ass clown, but taking very unnecessary shots at JR.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #658 on: October 13, 2017, 08:49:41 AM »

Or see 35:51 onward from this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXRxp-sDVY

Watching those clips, you can see a couple of advantages to that design for a "mobile" keyboard.  A keytar design doesn't easily allow for playing with both hands.  This does.  A flat keyboard mounted the same way could work, but I think for moving around, which is the whole point, it looks like this design provides a better center of gravity.

Haha the best part is when he plays them on Simones baby bump.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #659 on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
The new video for the making of Opus Maximus is up. Actually no obnoxious comments from either one of them. It was actually pretty nice that they named it after Max Portnoy for his 18th birthday.
I was afraid MP would say it is the MOST complex piece I have ever written on any band or something, but he didn't so shame on me. :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #660 on: October 13, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »
The new video for the making of Opus Maximus is up. Actually no obnoxious comments from either one of them. It was actually pretty nice that they named it after Max Portnoy for his 18th birthday.
I was afraid MP would say it is the MOST complex piece I have ever written on any band or something, but he didn't so shame on me. :)

Well, he DID say something similar for an instrumental track (forgot the name) on TSOAD (he compared it to TDOE), and it ended up being ... meh, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #661 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:02 AM »

EDIT:  Actually, here is the site for it where they discuss it and have some Epica videos that highlight Coen playing it:  https://nu-motion.com/?lang=en

Interesting.  In the picture upthread, it looked like the curve was asymmetrical, but it must've just been the angle, and he's a pretty big guy so I guess that's why the keys didn't look full size.

It still seems to me that one of the main selling points is that it isn't laid out like a keytar.  For people instantly turned off by the keytar design, I suppose that's a plus.  The ability to use both hands is definitely a plus.  The only thing, therefore, distinguishing the Revo-1 from any other controller that you could mount and wear around is the curved shape, because it would otherwise look like someone just mounted a controller on a harness so they could walk around with it (which is basically what it is).  So the curve distracts from that.  A guy walking around with a keyboard attached to his waist would look kinda stupid, but if it's a curved keyboard, then that's obviously much cooler (sarcasm, but of indeterminate degree).

So for keyboardists, the choices would seem to be the keytar design ("you're trying to look like a guitarist!"), this (which kinda screams "gimmick" but at least isn't a keytar) or fixing a regular keyboard with a strap and wearing it in front of you (which I've seen but can't find a picture for).  Or just standing behind your keys.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #662 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »
Well, yeah.  But this one is curved!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #663 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

Well, he DID say something similar for an instrumental track (forgot the name) on TSOAD (he compared it to TDOE), and it ended up being ... meh, imo.

I guess he learned his lesson. That track on TSOAD was good but song writing is Neal Morse's strength and not crazy instrumentals. he mentioned throwing in some parts of unreleased Metropolis Part 2 which Derek played on. I wonder if he would have to give Petrucci a writing credit on that track?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: October 13, 2017, 11:09:43 AM »
I think these two dudes are incredibly kewl:

:lol I love the treadmill, I think it's great

If coolness was a factor, we wouldn't be listening to prog

And yea at the end of the day, this.  :lol