Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467585 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #525 on: October 11, 2017, 08:38:16 AM »
I get it -- DS is taking another swipe at DT. But this one, to me, really wasn't as bad. He's just stating the truth, bluntly.

"None of them have ever played in a rock band in their entire lives. We’re a whole different animal."

That's the part I have trouble with.  We all grew up playing in rock and roll bands.  Taking cheap shots is bad enough, but just plain making shit up is a different level of heinous.  Fuck Derek.

By the way, Derek, it's Progressive Rock -- by definition, a subgenre of Rock.  Saying DT is not a rock band is just stupid.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #526 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »
Alright, I finally managed to get a promo link from the French promoter. If you have specific questions, you can ask. If the mods want a proof, I can send a screenshot of my promo link. All I can say already, is that I totally agree with noxon's review.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #527 on: October 11, 2017, 08:45:44 AM »

I get it -- DS is taking another swipe at DT. But this one, to me, really wasn't as bad. He's just stating the truth being a dick, bluntly.

fixed that.

Derek and MP can't have it both ways. Are you 'the new kings of Prog' like you billed yourself up until your first singles came out which revealed....ehhh....not so much royalty going on.....or are you a rock band with occasional 'sick chops'? Take your pic because in Derek's own definition they can't be both? Can't be progressive AND be in a 'rock band'.....he said it, not me.

Kuddos to those of you who can ignore him and MP's continued swipes at DT. More power to you. I can't ignore it when someone continues to insult people I look up to, and yes I look up to JP/JR/JMX and JLB. (Love MM also, but his history w/ me is new) What their music has done for me personally can't be quantified in words so when jealous a$$hats like Derek start slinging mud at them it ticks me off.

And, this whole Del Fuvio brother act or whatever it is...really...is this a middle school club?....is not only old already....it's just an "excuse" and fall back for them to say..."just playing, you don't 'get' us" when they say utter ignorant and ridiculous crap like this.

These guys are too talented NOT to have some cool sounding songs/riffs on this album...I'm sure there will be some moments. But at this point in my eyes they are just some really hot chic with a smoking body who you really want to shag...then when you start talking to her everything she says is racist, she burps and farts every three seconds and you find out she has anal warts. Not interested. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bill1971

« Reply #528 on: October 11, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »
Smart move. Hopefully they stick to this strategy and stop the silly drama.

No such luck.

https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2017-10-10/strategic_wankery_an_interview_with_sons_of_apollo.html

And given the melodic and hugely intricate nature of Sons of Apollo, as well as their affinity for big, lengthy songs, many fans and commentators have compared the new group to Dream Theater. But that’s an idea that the Del Fuvio Brothers seem to soundly reject.

“Even though we have sick chops, we’re a rock band,” Derek states. “They’re a progressive band, there’s no rock n’ roll in their DNA. None of them have ever played in a rock band in their entire lives. We’re a whole different animal.
“That’s what separates Sons of Apollo from all the other prog bands out there, it’s that this band has serious rock pedigree. And you can’t download an app for that. If you don’t have it, you don’t have it.”

Ok Derek, so what? Most of my favorite bands haven't, Rush, Dream Theater, Yes, Queensryche, Pink Floyd. I don't understand how that is a selling point.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #529 on: October 11, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »
There's The Jelly Jam as well, which seems like a rock band to me.

(Whether it's considered "rock and roll" or not - I guess that depends. I've heard people say that Van Halen isn't rock and roll - they're hard rock.)

From my perspective, there's a way to say something and a way not to. If you want to describe your band as having more hard rock or rock and roll influences, great. Go for it.  No need to bring up apps and stuff like that.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: October 11, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
Lava lamps and shag carpeting, omg SO hardcore you guys.  :\

Offline emtee

« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »
From what I've heard they are not going to be "a whole different animal"...they are going to be the same kind of animal
I've heard many times before. And yes, IMO, it all falls under the rock header. Prog. Metal. Blues. It's rock music.

It's feeling kind of like Spinal Tap. Let's see if DS goes for the sausages during their performances.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #532 on: October 11, 2017, 08:57:54 AM »
Derek says DT has no rock and roll in their DNA, but SoA does.  At one time, he and Mike were 2/5 of DT.  Did they have rock and roll in their DNA then?

Well, whether you agree with the comment or not, you have Derek Sherinian (Alice Cooper, Yngwie Malmsteen, Kiss, Black Country Communion) and Mike Portnoy (Adrenaline Mob, A7X, Twisted Sister, Metal Allegiance) versus Jordan Rudess (Annie Haslam, Prefab Sprout, David Bowie).  I understand the impetus for the comment, just not the need or the execution.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: October 11, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »

I get it -- DS is taking another swipe at DT. But this one, to me, really wasn't as bad. He's just stating the truth being a dick, bluntly.

fixed that.

Derek and MP can't have it both ways. Are you 'the new kings of Prog' like you billed yourself up until your first singles came out which revealed....ehhh....not so much royalty going on.....or are you a rock band with occasional 'sick chops'? Take your pic because in Derek's own definition they can't be both? Can't be progressive AND be in a 'rock band'.....he said it, not me.

Kuddos to those of you who can ignore him and MP's continued swipes at DT. More power to you. I can't ignore it when someone continues to insult people I look up to, and yes I look up to JP/JR/JMX and JLB. (Love MM also, but his history w/ me is new) What their music has done for me personally can't be quantified in words so when jealous a$$hats like Derek start slinging mud at them it ticks me off.

And, this whole Del Fuvio brother act or whatever it is...really...is this a middle school club?....is not only old already....it's just an "excuse" and fall back for them to say..."just playing, you don't 'get' us" when they say utter ignorant and ridiculous crap like this.

These guys are too talented NOT to have some cool sounding songs/riffs on this album...I'm sure there will be some moments. But at this point in my eyes they are just some really hot chic with a smoking body who you really want to shag...then when you start talking to her everything she says is racist, she burps and farts every three seconds and you find out she has anal warts. Not interested.

I was wondering what your point was, then I saw anal warts. I get it now.  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline DTA

« Reply #534 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »
I'm still waiting for a clip of anything that sounds remotely proggy and not "Adrenaline Mob + Keyboards".

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: October 11, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
Lava lamps and shag carpeting, omg SO hardcore you guys.  :\

Don't forget that very metal 'soul patch'    :metal   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: October 11, 2017, 09:04:39 AM »
I was wondering what your point was

point is you either have class or you don't. You can't download an app for it.....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #537 on: October 11, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
'Del Fuvian Bravado' - is 'Del Fuvian' Armenian for asshole?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #538 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »
Right, this thread has descended into insults directed towards Derek and Mike, which is not cool. Cut it out now. Next person who does that is getting a week off.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:37 AM »
Smart move. Hopefully they stick to this strategy and stop the silly drama.

No such luck.

https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2017-10-10/strategic_wankery_an_interview_with_sons_of_apollo.html

And given the melodic and hugely intricate nature of Sons of Apollo, as well as their affinity for big, lengthy songs, many fans and commentators have compared the new group to Dream Theater. But that’s an idea that the Del Fuvio Brothers seem to soundly reject.

“Even though we have sick chops, we’re a rock band,” Derek states. “They’re a progressive band, there’s no rock n’ roll in their DNA. None of them have ever played in a rock band in their entire lives. We’re a whole different animal.
“That’s what separates Sons of Apollo from all the other prog bands out there, it’s that this band has serious rock pedigree. And you can’t download an app for that. If you don’t have it, you don’t have it.”

Ok Derek, so what? Most of my favorite bands haven't, Rush, Dream Theater, Yes, Queensryche, Pink Floyd. I don't understand how that is a selling point.

You might not be the only one buying this.    I'm not saying I agree with his comment - I don't (see above and see below) - but my first handful of records were Kiss, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, and Zeppelin.   I got into prog later, but even when I did, the prog that got to me the most was the prog that could ROCK.  Yes was a ROCK BAND at heart, as was Genesis m(when Collins joined), whereas a lot of prog just wasn't.   Crimson was awesome when it rocked (Red, "Fracture").  At the time, I thought they sucked when they didn't (it took me a long time to get into the Discipline/Beat/3OAPP trilogy), and was thrilled when they went back to the "heavy" for Thrak and (especially) the Power To Believe.   

This particular quote isn't selling me, because a) I've heard two songs, and b) that's not what I'm looking to this band to give me, but I can definitely see why the idea might appeal to some. 

The thing that got me into Dream Theater was that it was a cool and new amalgamation of things.  I like to say "Iron Maiden and Rush, with Steve Perry singing".   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »

point is you either have class or you don't. You can't download an app for it.....

No, no, your comment was that she was hot but all these other things ruin it for you, and I was joking that it wasn't ruined until the anal warts.   It was funny in my head.  ;) 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #541 on: October 11, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »

No, no, your comment was that she was hot but all these other things ruin it for you, and I was joking that it wasn't ruined until the anal warts.   It was funny in my head.  ;)

:lol It was funny, I got it at least. That said - I tend to agree with Gary's larger point.

Also - isn't DT pretty much known for making Progressive Metal a thing? Meaning they are in some form a metal band? Since when is metal not rock?

This discussion of genre labels is tailor made for DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: October 11, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
If Derek was talking about a Rock N Roll swagger, than I guess he is right. I do think him and MP have more of a rock n roll attitude than the guys currently in DT.  But there's some pretty awesome hard rock moments in DT's music that to me, if someone said they aren't a genre of rock or they don't have rock in their DNA, then I think they are way off base. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #543 on: October 11, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
If Derek was talking about a Rock N Roll swagger, than I guess he is right. I do think him and MP have more of a rock n roll attitude than the guys currently in DT.  But there's some pretty awesome hard rock moments in DT's music that to me, if someone said they aren't a genre of rock or they don't have rock in their DNA, then I think they are way off base.

I guess they do have more rock n roll swagger as a band than Dream Theater. In that case I am now going to buy the album. How can I resist?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »

Nah... you can still shag her.  Just wear cloths-pins for the nose, ear-buds for the ears (maybe listen to Repentance while your working up a lather), and double the condoms up (thinking of Murr).  Some anti-fungal spray for cleanup afterwards and your good to go...

But I do see Gary's point.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline pcs90

« Reply #545 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
Yeah...I understand what Derek's saying, but at the same time, as usual, it wasn't the best way to say it. Also pretty sure the members of DT did grow up playing in rock bands, no? Or at least JP and JM...

I like variety in my music. DT has really heavy moments that rock hard. They also have lots of more emotional moments, really technical prog ones, etc... The vibe I get is this new album will have a very similar sound throughout, which so far does not interest me. We'll see...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #546 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:49 AM »
I must have missed the memo that Rock and Roll is the measuring stick for good music. As if the existence of it immediately put a band into the next higher shelf.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #547 on: October 11, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
That quote really caters to the fans that say MP was DT.

I'll check out those clips when released, if I remember about them. Or else I'll just wait till the album is out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #548 on: October 11, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
I get what Derek is talking about and he may be right. I don't take it as a bad thing. It's kinda like AC/DC has a swagger with their songs that just have this rock n roll thing. At this point I think DS is just saying shit along his line of humor and whether anyone likes it or laughs with him it doesn't matter.

It's hard to drown out the noise of all this back and forth jabs and frankly I'm trying not to care. So going by those comments of his I'm not sure it warrants the purchase of the instrumental version for me. I think I'll just stick to the regular CD.

yup, exactly what I am thinking as well. I also only purchased the standard CD. Not really into buying instrumentals. Had they did some covers on a second CD, that would have been an automatic purchase.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #549 on: October 11, 2017, 12:30:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd9H-qdUR8

Jeff is such a difference in personality from the Del Fuvio bros

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #550 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
I just got off the phone with Derek, and he was so cool!!! I'll publish the interview in Portuguese in a few days.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »

I had never heard the guy before, and out of that interview only I can say I really like the guy. As you say, miles away from what MP and DS are doing right now, he should probably call them and ask them to tone it down a little bit.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #552 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
JSS seems like a great guy. When I first heard he was in this band I went back and found some vids of his brief stint with
Journey and I was thinking we were going to get more of his Perry'esque vocals...more mid to higher range but so far
he is far more like Russel Allen than I was suspecting. I hope there are some songs where he can utilize that range in his
voice. The dude can truly sing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
I get it -- DS is taking another swipe at DT. But this one, to me, really wasn't as bad. He's just stating the truth, bluntly.

"None of them have ever played in a rock band in their entire lives. We’re a whole different animal."

That's the part I have trouble with.  We all grew up playing in rock and roll bands.  Taking cheap shots is bad enough, but just plain making shit up is a different level of heinous.  Fuck Derek.

By the way, Derek, it's Progressive Rock -- by definition, a subgenre of Rock.  Saying DT is not a rock band is just stupid.

Derek was with Myung on Platypus, before they became a trio as The Jelly Jam. This means, since none of the DT guys has ever played in a rock band, that Platypus was never rock? That’s cool, Derek  :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
Why did Derek leave Platypus?

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #555 on: October 11, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
Key issue is whether or not JSS has heard that I took one in the face

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: October 11, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
Why did Derek leave Platypus?

Not sure but I googled it and came across this interview with DS. https://www.ram.org/music/articles/sherinterview.html

How do you feel about the whole dream theatre situation?

I feel that bands change members all the time. They had a distinct vision of where they want to take the band and I have no hard feelings. The last four years have been very good for me and I've had a lot of good opportunities. I don't want to get into a negative thing because I don't have any bad feelings.. Jordan is a friend of mine and he's an amazing keyboard player and I'm sure they'll do great with him.

Nice way to show it...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #557 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
I don't think Derek 'left' Platypus. I don't know much about that group other than it became The Jelly Jam without Derek there, but it seems like they just called it a day after the second album and then the guys formed a 'new' group.

Also: Interview with MP in 2000 as part of a 'who do you prefer?' questionnaire:
Kevin Morgan or Derek Sherinian = Who’s Kevin Morgan? Do you mean our first keyboard player Kevin Moore? If so, my answer is: Jordan Rudess.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #558 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
I remember that interview! It was brutally honest both with the questions asked, and the answers given.

That Metal Sludge site had an habit of doing interviews like that - I still remember one with Ripper Owens and one of the questions was "How long do you think you have before they boot you out and bring back Rob Halford?"  :biggrin: (His reply was "Longer than you'll be around", adding that it was a joke, he took all the interview in good spirits)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #559 on: October 11, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

I had never heard the guy before, and out of that interview only I can say I really like the guy. As you say, miles away from what MP and DS are doing right now, he should probably call them and ask them to tone it down a little bit.

Jeff is really awesome. I interviewed him seven years ago as we were approaching Christmas 2010 -- https://breakdownroom.net/jss-110.html. Talk about down to earth. What's not in that article (and should have been, looking it back over), was the story of Jeff as a person. He called me after getting back from Christmas shopping on a day off from TSO, exhausted, talking about life, etc. Totally down-to-earth, and as non-egotistical as they come. Sure, he was talking to the media, but if you do enough of these interviews, you can tell who is legit, and who isn't. JSS is.

I called him one other time in prep for a bigger story I ended up ultimately not doing, to see if he was up for an interview (he was), and he completely remembered the piece I did earlier. Nice guy, and here's hoping Sons of Apollo does well for him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!