Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468190 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #490 on: October 09, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
Not gonna hate those packages I think they look great..

That's one thing I won't argue. the packaging and presentation looks awesome!!! Love the album cover.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #491 on: October 09, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
Yup, the design looks lovely.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #492 on: October 09, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »
Rush is one of the very few that really do operate as a democratic collective.

From what you know. Maybe their public statements are sarcastic? Maybe Peart writes every note and it's an elaborate joke to which we'll never be privy?

Offline bill1971

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #494 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:17 PM »

OR...maybe that's why DT ISN'T DT anymore! :tdwn

I have to admit, your hit and run style of posting, that always smacks of "DT sucks without MP; MP rules!" is nothing if not entertaining.  Keep up the good shtick.  :lol :lol :tup :tup

;)

I have never said "DT sucks without MP". They're still a very good band. But, IMO, they're not anywhere near as good as when he was in the band and calling the shot. Pretty simple. But, that's just MY opinion ;D

I didn't say you did; I said your posting smacks of that, which means you say it without actually saying it.  Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions, if you think they are a lesser band without their bossy ex-drummer, more power to ya, but the lack of substance in your posts is always glaring. You never seem interested in any real discussion, which is why I said you are a hit and run poster.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #495 on: October 09, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
does anyone else think the font used for Sons of Apollo resembles the Dream Theater font?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #496 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
Yes it has that glass/steel feel too, for lack of a better term.
I loved the cover from the beginning!

"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #497 on: October 09, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
or lack of a better english  ;D

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »
Still another 10 days left before the album drops, would be nice to talk about hating the music for a change.

Well, now you can hate the package in which said music will come in!

Very well done :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #499 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »

OR...maybe that's why DT ISN'T DT anymore! :tdwn

I have to admit, your hit and run style of posting, that always smacks of "DT sucks without MP; MP rules!" is nothing if not entertaining.  Keep up the good shtick.  :lol :lol :tup :tup

;)

I have never said "DT sucks without MP". They're still a very good band. But, IMO, they're not anywhere near as good as when he was in the band and calling the shot. Pretty simple. But, that's just MY opinion ;D

I didn't say you did; I said your posting smacks of that, which means you say it without actually saying it.  Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions, if you think they are a lesser band without their bossy ex-drummer, more power to ya, but the lack of substance in your posts is always glaring. You never seem interested in any real discussion, which is why I said you are a hit and run poster.

That's basically because I let Stadler do my talking for me. He's much better at it! ;)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #500 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:48 PM »
From MP Facebook:
We're gonna step up the Track Commentaries to give you MORE clips before the Oct 20 release...stay tuned for LABYRINTH tomorrow, followed by OPUS MAXIMUS on Fri and LOST IN OBLIVION on Monday!

Maybe a change of strategy to show more of the prog side of SoA? Cool, bring it on!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »
And a good way to get people to talk about the music rather than the Del Fuvianisms..... I approve

Offline pcs90

« Reply #502 on: October 10, 2017, 10:30:50 PM »
Smart move. Hopefully they stick to this strategy and stop the silly drama.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #503 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:31 AM »
Not gonna hate those packages I think they look great.. not gonna make the music sound better though

Still hoping that the rest of the songs fit me better than the released ones.
You're crucially missing DT and JP from that list.

There really aren't that many bands that are true democracies. And there's nothing wrong whatsoever with that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #504 on: October 11, 2017, 05:57:48 AM »
Smart move. Hopefully they stick to this strategy and stop the silly drama.

No such luck.

https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2017-10-10/strategic_wankery_an_interview_with_sons_of_apollo.html

And given the melodic and hugely intricate nature of Sons of Apollo, as well as their affinity for big, lengthy songs, many fans and commentators have compared the new group to Dream Theater. But that’s an idea that the Del Fuvio Brothers seem to soundly reject.

“Even though we have sick chops, we’re a rock band,” Derek states. “They’re a progressive band, there’s no rock n’ roll in their DNA. None of them have ever played in a rock band in their entire lives. We’re a whole different animal.
“That’s what separates Sons of Apollo from all the other prog bands out there, it’s that this band has serious rock pedigree. And you can’t download an app for that. If you don’t have it, you don’t have it.”

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #505 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:59 AM »
 :corn  :corn :corn :corn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »
Yep, the band that wrote the music to The Glass Prison has no rock in their DNA. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 11, 2017, 06:10:09 AM »
 :facepalm:

Jesus Christ, these guys just can't stop saying the wrong things
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #508 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »
I already can't wait for this fucking band to call it a day
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline devieira73

« Reply #509 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:50 AM »
Well, Derek keeps saying things in a... not too diplomatical way, but I understand what he's saying, I also agree that DT don't have that "rock and roll attittude" in its DNA. They seem like a bunch or nerds/geeks playing rock and that's why I identify myself with them so much. So what if they don't have that rock n roll vibe? In fact, I think its their charm.
I'm a tremendous fan of MP and, in different dregrees, I like all the bands he's involved. I like a lot Planet X, Platypus, Derek solo albums and BCC. But DT is my favorite band of all the time (still it is), my fave phase of the band is from I&W to Metropolis 2 and I do think the last 3 albums are better than SC and BC&SL (which I still like a lot). I also think JR>KM>DS (but for a close margin) and, at last, I think TA is a great album, it has some of the finest moments of the band, but have some flaws. ;D
That was just to say, I'm happy that SoA exists and I think we don't have to treat music like if we have to choose some side of it. I know, this applies to Derek or anybody too, and it would help if the musicians treated that in a more diplomatical or "letting the music do the talk" way (which I think DT do well).

Offline devieira73

« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2017, 06:52:33 AM »
Sorry, double post.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #511 on: October 11, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »

No kidding. Not that I ever developed an opinion towards Derek when he was in DT given he was FIRED so quickly, but this guy is just a friggin asshole. Period. Paragraph. End. It's not his 'funny' persona or some schtick.....more than enough evidence out there now to successfully diagnose him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #512 on: October 11, 2017, 07:01:52 AM »
Derek says DT has no rock and roll in their DNA, but SoA does.  At one time, he and Mike were 2/5 of DT.  Did they have rock and roll in their DNA then?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #513 on: October 11, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »
Derek says DT has no rock and roll in their DNA, but SoA does.  At one time, he and Mike were 2/5 of DT.  Did they have rock and roll in their DNA then?
Only then. Also only then DT had personalities! :rollin
Music:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=EgIIAlAU&search_query=sons+of+apollo

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #514 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:47 AM »
The idea to draw the attention of DT fans not happy with the latest outputs is ok, it's the execution that leaves a lot to be desired.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #515 on: October 11, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
Ok, not a lot of new music then! Cool intro/vocals, great bass lines in the end and a mini tour! :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »

No kidding. Not that I ever developed an opinion towards Derek when he was in DT given he was FIRED so quickly, but this guy is just a friggin asshole. Period. Paragraph. End. It's not his 'funny' persona or some schtick.....more than enough evidence out there now to successfully diagnose him.

Why don't we try shock treatment? It might really do him some help.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »
Yep, the band that wrote the music to The Glass Prison has no rock in their DNA. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Yeah for real.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »
They must just get a kick out of taking advantage of humans' tendency towards getting riled up at things. It's a conscious effort to ignore them. An analogy: Say someone gets bullied at school, then the bullied ends up joining the bully's side, so to speak. That's what this feels like to me. Portnoy fired Sherinian from DT (as he claims he was the one in control, he assumes responsibility for all decisions, including firing Derek). Now they've teamed up outside DT and have these ridiculous digs at DT.

Although technically, shouldn't DS be alienating MP with that statement? Portnoy was part of the DT that had/have no rock n roll in their DNA for 25 years. So Portnoy has no rock n roll in his DNA then.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #519 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
Well, they could always turn it around and saying that Portnoy was the only one with rock n' roll DNA - he was the most "metal" of them anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
I think Derek may have some WWE in his DNA.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #521 on: October 11, 2017, 08:02:16 AM »

No such luck.

https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2017-10-10/strategic_wankery_an_interview_with_sons_of_apollo.html

And given the melodic and hugely intricate nature of Sons of Apollo, as well as their affinity for big, lengthy songs, many fans and commentators have compared the new group to Dream Theater. But that’s an idea that the Del Fuvio Brothers seem to soundly reject.

“Even though we have sick chops, we’re a rock band,” Derek states. “They’re a progressive band, there’s no rock n’ roll in their DNA. None of them have ever played in a rock band in their entire lives. We’re a whole different animal.
“That’s what separates Sons of Apollo from all the other prog bands out there, it’s that this band has serious rock pedigree. And you can’t download an app for that. If you don’t have it, you don’t have it.”

I don't have a problem with what DS said here. It is truth. All of the guys in Sons of Apollo have played in blues-based rock bands, including Portnoy (Winery Dogs). The members of Dream Theater...really haven't. There's a swagger to that, that honestly, Dream Theater doesn't really have. Sure, they can play ANYTHING, but there is an attitude and swagger in rock bands that Dream Theater just doesn't have.

I get it -- DS is taking another swipe at DT. But this one, to me, really wasn't as bad. He's just stating the truth, bluntly.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 11, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »

These guys definitely say a lot of baffling things that can easily be tossed back at them.  I don't get it like the rest of you.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #523 on: October 11, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »
I get what Derek is talking about and he may be right. I don't take it as a bad thing. It's kinda like AC/DC has a swagger with their songs that just have this rock n roll thing. At this point I think DS is just saying shit along his line of humor and whether anyone likes it or laughs with him it doesn't matter.

It's hard to drown out the noise of all this back and forth jabs and frankly I'm trying not to care. So going by those comments of his I'm not sure it warrants the purchase of the instrumental version for me. I think I'll just stick to the regular CD.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: October 11, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »
I think Derek may have some WWE in his DNA.

Stone Cold Sherinian?