Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468135 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #420 on: October 07, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »
On Black Clouds MP said that the idea was to people hear more clearly the arrangements beneath the solos.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online devieira73

« Reply #421 on: October 07, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
Just an idea that I had and I never saw any band do: to make as a bonus CD an instrumental version of the album replacing the vocals melodies by guitars, keyboards or another instrument.  This would be more work for the band for sure, but I think this could be really cool!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #422 on: October 07, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »
I'm curious to find out what covers they'll play live. Burn and "...and the cradle will rock" sounded amazing! Maybe some Queen or The Who would be a great fit.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #423 on: October 07, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
I'm curious to find out what covers they'll play live. Burn and "...and the cradle will rock" sounded amazing! Maybe some Queen or The Who would be a great fit.

Definitely some Deep Purple, I think it fits their vibe a bit more if they wanna do some classic rock/metal stuff. Maybe a Rush tune, something heavier like "The Necromancer"?

In reality, they'll probably play covers of their respective past bands (non-DT), though it'd be interesting to hear MP try to nail some of Derek's solo and Planet X stuff.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #424 on: October 07, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
I wish they'd release individual stems instead for each instrument. That'd be way more interesting and everybody could create their own personalized mix.

And possibly make some interesting songs. Don't think Mike or Derek want that

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 07, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet...

Mike Portnoy on Sons of Apollo: "It's the way it was in Dream Theater, where I'm calling the shots and I'm in control."

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-sons-of-apollo-its-the-way-it-was-in-dream-theater-where-im-calling-the-shots-and-im-in-control/

My immediate thought was... and maybe that's partly why you're no longer in DT? :o

Personally, I think he and Derek would really be wise to stop bringing up DT on social media and in interviews and just let the music speak for itself.

EDIT: Let me clarify... I just felt like one of his reasons for leaving DT was because he was burnt out the band and was seemingly handling too much responsibility, so him taking on the same exact role in SoP seems... ironic.  So that's why I said maybe that's part of the reason he's no longer in DT.  If it's what's best for him and the band so be it, but the whole "I'm calling the shots" persona should be kept private within the band, in my opinion.

:)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:04:22 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #426 on: October 07, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »

Mike Portnoy on Sons of Apollo: "It's the way it was in Dream Theater, where I'm calling the shots and I'm in control."

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-sons-of-apollo-its-the-way-it-was-in-dream-theater-where-im-calling-the-shots-and-im-in-control/

My immediate thought was... and maybe that's partly why you're no longer in DT? :o

Personally, I think he and Derek would really be wise to stop bringing up DT on social media and in interviews and just let the music speak for itself.

I haven't read that one but I watched the interview linked on the last page (or two pages ago?). Portnoy said he was calling the shots like he did for the last 10 years he was in Dream Theater but the music writing was collaborative. I'd really like to see this go down because I always wondered how a drummer or singer who don't play any other instruments write music. Not saying it couldn't be done but it would be interesting to see. I'm guessing Sherinian and Bumblefoot did most of the real writing.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #427 on: October 07, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
I was hoping the headline was grossly overstated and that the article wasn't like that, but I was wrong. He blatantly states multiple times that he is not only the man completely in charge of SoA but that he was also completely in charge of DT.

He also says that Sheehan just kind of came into the project near the end and only contributed a little and that JSS had some contribution, but not a ton.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #428 on: October 07, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
Just an idea that I had and I never saw any band do: to make as a bonus CD an instrumental version of the album replacing the vocals melodies by guitars, keyboards or another instrument.  This would be more work for the band for sure, but I think this could be really cool!

Alestorm recently did this, but, eh, they replaced the vocal melodies with crappy dog key patches and added the word "dogs" in each song title. So I guess it is not entirely what you are looking for  :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: October 07, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
I'm guessing Sherinian and Bumblefoot did most of the real writing.

I'm actually pretty psyched to hear Bumblefoot on this album.  I'm not really familiar with any of his past work aside from Chinese Democracy, which I only listened to a couple times, so I'm going in pretty fresh with him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:54:32 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: October 07, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #431 on: October 07, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
I'm just getting so tired of the quantity over quality work ethic of MP. He says he wants complete control so he doesn't have to deal with hundreds of emails about arrangements, but that's what collaboration and creating music is. I know he's not bringing in riffs or anything so why does he imagine that his say is somehow more important (or correct?) than the actual creators of the music? What's the point of shitting out lackluster album after album rather than taking lots of time and creating something really unique and interesting? I'll never understand how taking time in the studio to refine the music and live with it a bit before recording is seen as a negative thing in his world.

SoA could've been a rival to Haken in the prog-metal realm, but it's just another cash grab with no real longevity since his bandmates will most likely get tired real quick of having to deal with his need for complete control. I'm sure there'll be some cool moments but the two songs released so far are as bland and stale arrangement-wise as it gets. I knew how the songs would go before I even finished them.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #432 on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:56 PM »
I'm just getting so tired of the quantity over quality work ethic of MP. He says he wants complete control so he doesn't have to deal with hundreds of emails about arrangements, but that's what collaboration and creating music is. I know he's not bringing in riffs or anything so why does he imagine that his say is somehow more important (or correct?) than the actual creators of the music? What's the point of shitting out lackluster album after album rather than taking lots of time and creating something really unique and interesting? I'll never understand how taking time in the studio to refine the music and live with it a bit before recording is seen as a negative thing in his world.

SoA could've been a rival to Haken in the prog-metal realm, but it's just another cash grab with no real longevity since his bandmates will most likely get tired real quick of having to deal with his need for complete control. I'm sure there'll be some cool moments but the two songs released so far are as bland and stale arrangement-wise as it gets. I knew how the songs would go before I even finished them.

This is a problem with juggling so many musical projects. Portnoy may not have the time to spend months doing serious writing (or overseeing the writing?) then record & tour just for one band. On top of that they have to merge the schedules of the other guys since they're all doing different projects too.

Online devieira73

« Reply #433 on: October 07, 2017, 07:32:11 PM »

Alestorm recently did this, but, eh, they replaced the vocal melodies with crappy dog key patches and added the word "dogs" in each song title. So I guess it is not entirely what you are looking for  :lol
:D no, I was thinking more in a Satriani style.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #434 on: October 07, 2017, 07:39:02 PM »

OR...maybe that's why DT ISN'T DT anymore! :tdwn

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: October 07, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »

Touché.  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #436 on: October 07, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »

They sound like DT to me. Natural progression after BCSL would see even more lead MP vocals including even more ridiculous tough guy vocals and other elements that don't sound like DT.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #437 on: October 07, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »

Even if that's the case, it's probably for the best when it comes to my enjoyment.  I've enjoyed all of their three post-MP albums quite well.

Online Adami

« Reply #438 on: October 07, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
Last I checked, DT was still DT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #439 on: October 07, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »

Ugh...

Online Adami

« Reply #440 on: October 07, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure DT is still DT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #441 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »

They sound like DT to me. Natural progression after BCSL would see even more lead MP vocals including even more ridiculous tough guy vocals and other elements that don't sound like DT.

This.  I like all of DT's albums, and I was *really* upset when MP left DT.  But when I started to accept that this is how it was and he really wanted to do other things and wasn't going to be in the band anymore, the first silver lining for me was the thought of no more MP vocals.  These last 3 albums have been incredible and I'm not sure they would have been so good with MP trying to push things in a different direction and insisting on singing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #442 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:36 PM »

This is a problem with juggling so many musical projects. Portnoy may not have the time to spend months doing serious writing (or overseeing the writing?) then record & tour just for one band. On top of that they have to merge the schedules of the other guys since they're all doing different projects too.

Also, shouldn't bands tour in support of an album within a month or two?  With Mike juggling all of these bands he isn't free until 2018.  If they do a tour in January then the album will be over 2 months old.  Unless this new band takes the world by storm and is played all over radio, the lack of promotion through touring may hurt it pretty bad. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #443 on: October 07, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »

Also, shouldn't bands tour in support of an album within a month or two?  With Mike juggling all of these bands he isn't free until 2018.  If they do a tour in January then the album will be over 2 months old.  Unless this new band takes the world by storm and is played all over radio, the lack of promotion through touring may hurt it pretty bad.

I think that's more because of JSS than MP.  I believe JSS is doing TSO again this year so he won't be available to tour until next year. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #444 on: October 07, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »

If this album is what Portnoy's vision was for Dream Theater, I'm glad he left.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #445 on: October 07, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »

I think that's more because of JSS than MP.  I believe JSS is doing TSO again this year so he won't be available to tour until next year.

True.  Maybe they should have delayed the release.  Then again, if Mike had more time earlier in the year they could have finished the album sooner (I think they took a few months break between recording and finishing it), put it out in august and toured through September/October. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #446 on: October 07, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »

True.  Maybe they should have delayed the release.  Then again, if Mike had more time earlier in the year they could have finished the album sooner (I think they took a few months break between recording and finishing it), put it out in august and toured through September/October.

I thought I read or heard in an interview that Sons of Apollo would be touring all next year.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #447 on: October 07, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »
Yeah that's what they're saying.  Nothings been announced yet.  I just think if they're going to start touring in February then maybe they should have waited to release the album in January.  It's just that most bands tour in the month after the release.  Strike while the iron is hot. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #448 on: October 07, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
MP has said in front of the other members that heŽs the leader of SOA. And thereŽs one onterview where Derek openly acknowledges that. I really donŽt see a problem with him saying that. IŽve said this many times here and IŽll say it again - thereŽs a lot of people in this forum that while seemingly try to have a positive attitute towards MP, always try to pick things here and there to find fault in what he does. Relax people! HeŽs doing just fine, juggling a gazillion different bands, heŽll tour and promote whichever band he wants when the right time comes...and hey, look at the activity in DTF: Dream Theater is on tour, but the most talked about subject here is, hands down, Sons of Apollo. Some of us care about MP A LOT MORE than weŽre ready to admit.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #449 on: October 07, 2017, 10:20:02 PM »
MP has said in front of the other members that heŽs the leader of SOA. And thereŽs one onterview where Derek openly acknowledges that. I really donŽt see a problem with him saying that. IŽve said this many times here and IŽll say it again - thereŽs a lot of people in this forum that while seemingly try to have a positive attitute towards MP, always try to pick things here and there to find fault in what he does. Relax people! HeŽs doing just fine, juggling a gazillion different bands, heŽll tour and promote whichever band he wants when the right time comes...and hey, look at the activity in DTF: Dream Theater is on tour, but the most talked about subject here is, hands down, Sons of Apollo. Some of us care about MP A LOT MORE than weŽre ready to admit.

I've no problem with that. Even if I end up disliking the album, I still hope the band is successful because I like the musicians.

Online Adami

« Reply #450 on: October 07, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »

Is there anything wrong with him controlling the band? Nah.

Does it make people excited or help him look better to publicly brag about being in control? Nope.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #451 on: October 07, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »

I have to admit, your hit and run style of posting, that always smacks of "DT sucks without MP; MP rules!" is nothing if not entertaining.  Keep up the good shtick.  :lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #452 on: October 08, 2017, 03:21:03 AM »
I think the timing of the song releases is a bit unfortunate. They released Sign of the Times and Coming Home in pretty short succession, and now there's a drought of positive news that is instead filled with drama that's turning off a lot of people. Releasing the songs a bit closer to the actual album release would have been better I think.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #453 on: October 08, 2017, 03:39:19 AM »

Definitely some Deep Purple, I think it fits their vibe a bit more if they wanna do some classic rock/metal stuff. Maybe a Rush tune, something heavier like "The Necromancer"?

In reality, they'll probably play covers of their respective past bands (non-DT), though it'd be interesting to hear MP try to nail some of Derek's solo and Planet X stuff.

-Marc.

No I'll See the Light Tonight and a famous Guns n' Roses tune as set closers? if I had to round up a setlist made of only one album with cover songs, I'd place in the middle of the set the more specific ones (like Lines in the Sand) and close it off with songs everyone knows.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: October 08, 2017, 04:55:56 AM »
I thought the headline for the article might have been overblown and taken out of context tto but that's certainly no the case.

This is absolutely mine and Derek's band. We essentially put it together and produced the album and he and I are kinda doing this as partners, with the understanding that I am the leader, to be honest. I don't want to sound brash, but it's the truth. When Derek approached me about doing this last year [he said] 'Let's finally do it and get a singer and turn it into a real band.' I was like 'Look, I already have FLYING COLORS, METAL ALLEGIANCE, THE NEAL MORSE BAND, THE WINERY DOGS. I can't handle another band where I have to get a thousand e-mails every morning from everybody making a decision.' So I said to him, 'If I do another band, it has to be the way I ran DREAM THEATER. It has to be the same dynamic. I have to have creative control. I have to be able to call the shots, make decisions on my own and everybody's got to trust me and my direction as a leader.' And Derek was like 'Absolutely. We'll be partners in terms of business and in terms of producing the album,' but beyond that, it's the way it was in DREAM THEATER where I'm [calling] the shots and I'm in control. I just had to have that to be able to move forward with this band. Everybody is cool with it and understands it and supports that."

:facepalm:

This band is going to last a long long time.  ::)  So let me get this straight, Mike has too much on his plate, so for him to be in with this band he has to take on the full responsibility and take on a bigger workload for the runnings of the band.  He has to have full control, because it wouldn't be possbile to split responsibilies because talking to the other bandmates and answering emails everyday about business decisions is just too much.  Right Mike, wake up to yourself.

Derek: Hey Mike, I think we should start a proper prog metal band with a kickass singer.  We can call it Sons of Apollo.
Mike: Hey Derek, what a great idea, I'm glad I thought of it

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.