Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467779 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #385 on: October 05, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »

We know one of the commenters.

Huh?

Wasn't that our own Kotowboy weighing in in the comments section?

Does anyone know what happened to him on DTF?  :huh:

Banned.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: October 05, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Probably for making comments like in that youtube video. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
Banned.

Oh is that why it's been so nice and peaceful in here?

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #388 on: October 05, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
I don't think DT is even aware that this is happening. And if they are, it's most likely something they laugh / scoff at and ignore. It's basically just noise to them. If you see the interview I did with JP and JM they basically say they don't pay much attention to social media and stuff. It's a promotional tool to them. They keep a distance exactly to restrict the exposure to unnecessary drama.
I agree concerning JP and JM but Rudess is active on social medias AND he is following Derek on Twitter so he must have read the tweets.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: October 05, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »
I don't think DT is even aware that this is happening. And if they are, it's most likely something they laugh / scoff at and ignore. It's basically just noise to them. If you see the interview I did with JP and JM they basically say they don't pay much attention to social media and stuff. It's a promotional tool to them. They keep a distance exactly to restrict the exposure to unnecessary drama.
I agree concerning JP and JM but Rudess is active on social medias AND he is following Derek on Twitter so he must have read the tweets.

Jordan is following over 3,000 people. It's highly unlikely he saw them... I follow under 200 people and I miss all sorts of stuff in the feed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
Anyway - that little piece of God of the Sun looks promising!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »

From what little I've heard it sounds the best of the three so far

Offline bill1971

« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »

It sounds like the most time went into it. Derek has been working on it for a while. Which is great! Despite my thoughts on DS and MP's attitude I am curious to hear this album. Sign of the Times is decent the other is a bit generic but anxious to hear the rest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
I couldn't tell from that clip whether they were saying they spent more time on that one (I actually got the opposite impression, because they mentioned how Derek basically wrote the whole thing before anyone else could really give any input, and they decided to leave it alone).  But what I did get is that Derek felt very inspired on it, which is often the best thing for composition of a song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #394 on: October 05, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »

It sounds like the most time went into it. Derek has been working on it for a while. Which is great! Despite my thoughts on DS and MP's attitude I am curious to hear this album. Sign of the Times is decent the other is a bit generic but anxious to hear the rest.
I couldn't tell from that clip whether they were saying they spent more time on that one (I actually got the opposite impression, because they mentioned how Derek basically wrote the whole thing before anyone else could really give any input, and they decided to leave it alone).  But what I did get is that Derek felt very inspired on it, which is often the best thing for composition of a song.

They may have spent the least time honing it in the studio but it may be the song that had the most time spent on it overall if Derek kept writing it on his own.  I think there was a discussion in the other thread about how they write but I (like others) think they should spend more time writing rather than devoting 2-3 weeks to pound out ideas.  If I'm not mistaken, Dream Theater would spend in upwards of 3 months writing an album from scratch.  Of course, I&W was written over the course of several years. If I could sum up my main complaint with the other two songs it would be that they are just kind of there.  Decent riffs, decent vocals, and basically seems like it was put together in a few days. 

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #395 on: October 05, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »

We know one of the commenters.

Huh?

Wasn't that our own Kotowboy weighing in in the comments section?

Does anyone know what happened to him on DTF?  :huh:

Mike called in one last favor to the Adrenaline Mob.

:hat

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #396 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
I'm also very much looking forward to this release. I find MPs & DSs behavior nothing but childish and embarrassing. They're grown men, not in the middle of their puberty. Also I love how DT simply said NOTHING about this whole nonsense. I haven't heard anything from the new album, but I gotta say the whole shenanigans by MP & DS have lowered my anticipation for the album a bit.

But has anyone ever thought of those two doing this on purpose and the absolute awareness that they're pissing off fans? A lot of people have become famous in music business through scandals... Not saying this is the case but what do you guys think?

Also I think they should have put more thought into the whole name giving thing. Sons Of Apollo sounds like MP talking about Kaleidoscope ("I just like the word I always wanted to make an album with it" - not exact words) all over again. And Psychotic Symphony? That's the most pretentious, prog-stereotypical album name ever. Same with Opus Maximus :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #397 on: October 06, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Yeah 'Opus Maximus' just sounds corny and egotistical but whatever.

As far as notoriety... if that's the path they wanna take, fine, but I won't give money to someone talking about their fans flipping burgers
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #398 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
With the climate and culture of the music industry in 2017 and with the type and style of this music, I doubt any kind of "drama" will gain them fans.

If this was the 1980's, yeah it might but I'm pretty sure the industry couldn't be more different from what it was then for a multitude of reasons.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #399 on: October 06, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
And Psychotic Symphony? That's the most pretentious, prog-stereotypical album name ever. Same with Opus Maximus :D

It's a very typical and cliched prog metal title... "Static Impulse" and "Impermanent Resonance" from James LaBrie aren't much better.

The titles are by far the thing I like the least about JLB's solo albums however, and I hope it's gonna be the same for this record as well!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #400 on: October 06, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »
And Psychotic Symphony? That's the most pretentious, prog-stereotypical album name ever. Same with Opus Maximus :D

It's a very typical and cliched prog metal title... "Static Impulse" and "Impermanent Resonance" from James LaBrie aren't much better.

The titles are by far the thing I like the least about JLB's solo albums however, and I hope it's gonna be the same for this record as well!

You certainly can't judge a book by it's cover and in this case an album by it's title. That said - I really like the title Impermanent Resonance.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: October 06, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
The title is fine. The album? Not so much.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #402 on: October 06, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »

You certainly can't judge a book by it's cover and in this case an album by it's title. That said - I really like the title Impermanent Resonance.

Yes all those albums are just named with two cool words put randomly together. But the term symphony always hints that this is going to be something extraordinary, which it usually isn't (not having heard PS, it still could be though). Just like the epic concept masterpiece beginning with a tuning orchestra. Mike has been in the Prog genre way too long; he must know that those things are just cheesy prog stereotypes.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #403 on: October 06, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »
Just to let you know, Jeff said in a interview that the album title came from one of his lyrics from the album. So, like it or not, it didn't came out of the blue at least.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #404 on: October 06, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
I don't. To me, "impermanent" comes across like such a useless word, a pretentious way of saying "temporary." Psychotic Symphony is worse though.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: October 06, 2017, 03:01:32 PM »
I don't. To me, "impermanent" comes across like such a useless word, a pretentious way of saying "temporary." Psychotic Symphony is worse though.

??? ??? It's what's called a synonym.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #406 on: October 06, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »

Well, of course. And I'd never use it instead of temporary, neither in speech, nor in writing, beacuse it comes across as pretentious. What's confusing you?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: October 06, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »

Well, of course. And I'd never use it instead of temporary, neither in speech, nor in writing, beacuse it comes across as pretentious. What's confusing you?

Just pointing out it is neither useless nor inherently pretentious... synonyms help color up a vocabulary... sorry

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #408 on: October 06, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »

Just pointing out it is neither useless nor inherently pretentious... synonyms help color up a vocabulary... sorry
Who said inherently? I distinctly stated "to me." For someone so keen on linguistics, you sure have a hard time interpreting a simple statement.

Anyway, if the songs are good, I don't really care what they're called. Also, Kansas already did "Opus Insert" and "Magnum Opus." Pretty good songs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: October 06, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
No need to attack my intelligence.

Sorry for the derail folks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:46:16 PM by Kattelox »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #410 on: October 06, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
Time to lock up yet another thread related to SOA, because this one has gone off the rails too.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #411 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »
You know, I'm thinking this is their plan. They released two 'safe' songs to give us a hint of the album. Most of these comments are made without even hearing the album. I can undertsand how they feel with people constantly giving them scrap when the album itself hasn't been released. That's why I think they're acting the way they are, being trolls to rile you all up.

Sure most of us don't enjoy what we heard so far and thats fine. Yet, just because he said its progmetal, and then released those more metal songs, doesn't mean the rest are not proggy. Also, he may have his own definition of what prog is? Like all of us do when we talk about progressive music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #412 on: October 06, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »
You know, I'm thinking this is their plan. They released two 'safe' songs to give us a hint of the album. Most of these comments are made without even hearing the album. I can undertsand how they feel with people constantly giving them scrap when the album itself hasn't been released. That's why I think they're acting the way they are, being trolls to rile you all up.

Sure most of us don't enjoy what we heard so far and thats fine. Yet, just because he said its progmetal, and then released those more metal songs, doesn't mean the rest are not proggy. Also, he may have his own definition of what prog is? Like all of us do when we talk about progressive music.

I feel like the majority of people who don't like the two new songs feel that way because they just don't like them.

Yes, some people might be let down because it's not prog but I doubt there's much "wow these two songs are great, but they're not technically what I assumed they would be....so I better hate them".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

« Reply #413 on: October 06, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »
About the album itself,  I've asked on insideout Facebook and MP said that the instrumental CD is without the solos. If anyone is considering to buy the 2 CD version, it's interesting to know that  :tup

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #414 on: October 06, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »
About the album itself,  I've asked on insideout Facebook and MP said that the instrumental CD is without the solos. If anyone is considering to buy the 2 CD version, it's interesting to know that  :tup

That's an odd decision. Why would they release the instrumental tracks without solos?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #415 on: October 06, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »

That's an odd decision. Why would they release the instrumental tracks without solos?

I think DT did the same thing. This way people can use them as backing tracks to practice the solo or whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #416 on: October 06, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »

I think DT did the same thing. This way people can use them as backing tracks to practice the solo or whatever.

I see.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #417 on: October 07, 2017, 05:13:57 AM »
For all German speaking people here: Nik Brückner has just released the first review on the Babyblaue Seiten website and it's pretty positive!
https://babyblaue-seiten.de/album_16873.html#oben
I guess all people who can't speak German could use Google translator :)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #418 on: October 07, 2017, 05:57:12 AM »

MP response:
Just rhythm tracks to make them that much different from the final mixes

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #419 on: October 07, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »
I wish they'd release individual stems instead for each instrument. That'd be way more interesting and everybody could create their own personalized mix.