Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 468167 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #350 on: October 04, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
Imagine if the album is insanely good. Or obscenely bad. I'd wish for one of the two extremes just to see what happens  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #351 on: October 04, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
*sigh*

Can it just be about the music? I mean, yeah, there are egos involved, and DS said some stupid things that should have been kept private. But once you get the music, and put it on, can you separate the online drama from the tunes?

I know personally that if I am remotely connected to something, that no, I can't. I need distance. But in this situation, with very few exceptions, we're all just fans here. Nothing that goes on with DT/MP/DS affects us in any way in our real lives.

This is technically true but I don't think it's how the vast majority of us relate and react to the world. Chris Brown (for example) beating the shit out of Rihanna didn't "affect us in any way in our real lives" either but I still think it was understandable for people to have a reaction to it, and perhaps not want to support the guy's career. It's how we're wired as people, it's why we emotionally respond to news stories that don't 'directly affect us'. Even you, for example, are clearly annoyed by people being negative in this thread, even though it doesn't affect your life in any way.

To your point about separating the music from the drama once I've hit 'play' - absolutely I can, and I have. My reaction to this band's music is totally separate from my decision not to give them any money. When I play their songs, I care only about the songs, and the furthest thing from my mind is anything Derek or Mike have said or done. Buying the album is a different issue entirely, and not connected to my experience of the music. That part is based on a desire to one day see Derek Sherinian having to flip burgers to provide for his family and to then see how well he takes being mocked.

It's as I was saying to Stadler, when you dismiss and deride anyone who 'criticises' your music as 'biased burger-flipping Dream Theater fanboys' then it's you (Derek) who have taken it all beyond the music and made it personal, not us.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #352 on: October 04, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
I do wonder how John Lennon would have been perceived if he'd been around in the age of social media. He was one of the great songwriters of the 20th century but was also a complete piece of shit. How well known were his personal foibles at the time?

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #353 on: October 04, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
I enjoyed the video from the studio, funny to watch :) How was the working title from the end? ;) Fuck Stand 45? :p or probably I'm misspelling something very badly ;)

I thought it was Fuck Stain 45.

Which could be code for Donald Trump (the 45th president), whose initials are 'DT', which is also...ah fuck it, I'm probably over-analyzing it here.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #354 on: October 04, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »
It really is too bad. This should’ve been THE most exciting MP project and it has been bogged down by drama. I’ve always felt that the internet is generally good for music discovery and connecting with artists, but this release has proved to be an exception.

I mentioned early on that friendly competition is a good thing, I still stand by that, but this has crossed the line into distracting and somewhat childish. We don’t know how DT feels about it because they’ve been silent, but the one sidedness of the whole thing does not come off well.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #355 on: October 04, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »
It really is too bad. This should’ve been THE most exciting MP project and it has been bogged down by drama. I’ve always felt that the internet is generally good for music discovery and connecting with artists, but this release has proved to be an exception.

I mentioned early on that friendly competition is a good thing, I still stand by that, but this has crossed the line into distracting and somewhat childish. We don’t know how DT feels about it because they’ve been silent, but the one sidedness of the whole thing does not come off well.

Agreed. I admire DT for taking the high road and ignoring them -- as they should in their position.

As for connecting with artists, I've found it can be good and bad. This is an example of the bad for sure. To be honest, I've been slowly severing most of my ties on social media with artists as I see them ramp up with political posts and such, or band drama. Just not worth my time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »
Well, to be fair - DT are currently on tour celebrating Images and Words, and the last guy that posted an interview with James said he was instructed to ask mainly about Images and Words since that's what they were touring about, so unless someone sneaks in an interview a specific question, when would they even have time to address the situation? it's not that DT have a new album coming out soon and they're doing press where questions about another band with two ex DT members would be perfectly legitimate.

How would they even react now? Jordan posting a comment "We rocked the house in Indonesia, the fans seemed to not mind at all my apps while we were playing the album everyone was dying to hear, unlike Falling Into Infinity"? it would just be forced.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »
I don't really see why DT would give a shit. Are SoA gonna deprive them of ticket sales? I can't see a scenario where that's really a choice for many people.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
How would they even react now? Jordan posting a comment "We rocked the house in Indonesia, the fans seemed to not mind at all my apps while we were playing the album everyone was dying to hear, unlike Falling Into Infinity"? it would just be forced.

JR would be like #No Lavalamp
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #359 on: October 04, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
I don't think DT is even aware that this is happening. And if they are, it's most likely something they laugh / scoff at and ignore. It's basically just noise to them. If you see the interview I did with JP and JM they basically say they don't pay much attention to social media and stuff. It's a promotional tool to them. They keep a distance exactly to restrict the exposure to unnecessary drama.

It's a very one sided grudge shit fest.

And to the person saying "nothing that goes on with DT/DS/MP affects you in real life" - weeeeeell ;) But I'm a special case ;) But as such, the reaction from MP and DS to my review was pretty much the same as when JR reacted badly to my BCSL review. I'm worried about what I will be able to do with MP and DS going forward... Will I -want- to do anything? I mean, the reason I started "Dream Theater World" and named it as such was that I wanted to gather the "world" into one umbrella, on both sides. I wanted to cover all aspects. I wanted give exposure to everyone connected to DT. I don't even know if that is possible right now...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
*sigh*

Can it just be about the music? I mean, yeah, there are egos involved, and DS said some stupid things that should have been kept private. But once you get the music, and put it on, can you separate the online drama from the tunes?

I know personally that if I am remotely connected to something, that no, I can't. I need distance. But in this situation, with very few exceptions, we're all just fans here. Nothing that goes on with DT/MP/DS affects us in any way in our real lives. So, that said, are people REALLY going to not check out the record and go see them just because of their big mouths? REALLY? I mean, in bosk1's case, who has had direct contact with MP, and with members of Dream Theater because of this forum, I get it (trust me, I get it better than most).

But for the rest of us, come on...

Just put on the tunes and let all this promotional squabble and BS go away...

Music is an immersive experience.  If it wasn't then concerts would just be people playing music with the houselights on in whatever polo shirt they were wearing that day.  If it wasn't nobody would bother reading any interview with any band member or even looking at or caring about the album cover. 

But all of those things have an effect on our enjoyment or interest of a band.  I'd like to think I can separate all of that stuff from the music and I think I can for the most part you're fooling yourself if you think music is the only thing that matters. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
Day of The Dead. If there is a song like that on here. Then, I won't complain.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »

JR would be like #No Lavalamp

JR could also be like #IWasnttheonewhowasfired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vcUEf0v8E&t=178s

By the way in the youtube comments in the replies to the 1st comment about shots being fired Derek is getting destroyed.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #363 on: October 04, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
I'm interviewing Derek in a week, and was given a copy today. I won't say too much about it, but with the risk of being banned, I'll say this much: IT IS AMAZING!!!!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #364 on: October 04, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
I'm interviewing Derek in a week, and was given a copy today. I won't say too much about it, but with the risk of being banned, I'll say this much: IT IS AMAZING!!!!

Good to hear! Good luck with the interview.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #365 on: October 04, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
Thanks man. I have about 12 questions already - this was tough because a lot of the ones I had have already been addressed in other interviews - but if you have any suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »

Hmm, I don't know. I have seen him recently with the Neal Morse Band and the energy of those shows was as high as any great/fantastic concert I have seen. Sure, SF shows had special value for many DT fans, but great entertainers and a good crowd can come a very long way. .

The energi thing isnt something im assuming, it comes from MP interviews. ITS something he has commented on.

I have seen both The Neal Morse Band and The Shattered Fortress in the past month and a half. I enjoyed both shows, but enjoyed The Neal Morse Band show more as they are my favorite band right now and The Similitude of a Dream is one of my favorite albums of all time. With that said, the energy levels at the two shows was not even close. The energy at The Shattered Fortress show was through the roof and definitely the highest I've seen in the several shows I've seen with MP since he left DT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
I'm going to be greedy and say that I hope this goes no where just so Mike can focus his time and energy on Flying Colors 3 and The Neal Morse Band. I think Neal is the Angel and Derek is the devil on Mike's shoulder at this point. Mike needs a positive influence, not someone like Derek who is going to egg him on.

Yep, this is along the lines of what I have said for a while.

Even though I find Portnoy to usually have an overbearing and annoying personality, he usually seems more low key and likable when around Neal Morse.  Neal clearly brings out the best in him (not counting his temper tantrum when he was sick over in Europe a year or two ago).

On the flip side, all of those annoying personality traits he possesses seems magnified these days thanks to being around Sherinian so much.  Sherinian seems to bring out the worst in him.

I have seen both The Neal Morse Band and The Shattered Fortress in the past month and a half. I enjoyed both shows, but enjoyed The Neal Morse Band show more as they are my favorite band right now and The Similitude of a Dream is one of my favorite albums of all time. With that said, the energy levels at the two shows was not even close. The energy at The Shattered Fortress show was through the roof and definitely the highest I've seen in the several shows I've seen with MP since he left DT.

I am guessing you didn't see the NMB at Morsefest, right?  Their energy both nights at that was pretty high.  Not bad for a band full of older guys (vs the DT cover thing, which is Portnoy and a handful of young guys).

Offline DT2003

« Reply #368 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »

I am guessing you didn't see the NMB at Morsefest, right?  Their energy both nights at that was pretty high.  Not bad for a band full of older guys (vs the DT cover thing, which is Portnoy and a handful of young guys).

No unfortunately I wasn't able to go to Morsefest. Just to be clear when I was talking about energy I was referring to the crowd, not the bands. NMB (particularly Neal and Mike) certainly have plenty of energy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #369 on: October 04, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
Well, Dream Theater's music is heavier and more rocking than Neal Morse's, so that is naturally going to translate to a more energetic crowd, although the crowd was pretty bananas at Morsefest, especially the second night.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #370 on: October 04, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
On the general theme, my opinion is that this forced camaraderie between MP and DS had better be founded on something more than just a mutual grudge against Dream Theater, because if not then I can see 2018 being a difficult year for the band. They have said that they are spending all next year on this band, touring the world, which is great, but I simply don't see them being very successful. I honestly don't think this album is going to take off on any charts and I don't think they're going to be playing decent sized venues, and it'd be wise for Derek and Mike to practice now not simply lashing out at everyone who doesn't unconditionally love what they've done. It'll be interesting to see how this band survives the long, difficult road ahead as they hit the small clubs and play the gigs night after night. There are 5 strong personalities in this band (with rumours of small clashes already between Derek and Jeff), all of whom have known what comparatively big success is to varying degrees. If by March or April of next year Sons of Apollo haven't taken off, will we see the first unfortunate case of "scheduling conflicts"? I suspect so.

I agree. As you say, they don't seem to be willing to put the hard work into it. They want to become "the kings of prog metal" inmediately even before their first, and already controversial, album is released. To me, they're definitely going to be disappointed, not necessarily because the album is going to be badly received, but because they have some very unrealistic expectations, and a new band, doesn't matter who's in it, can't achieve that much in such short time.

I'm going to be greedy and say that I hope this goes no where just so Mike can focus his time and energy on Flying Colors 3 and The Neal Morse Band. I think Neal is the Angel and Derek is the devil on Mike's shoulder at this point. Mike needs a positive influence, not someone like Derek who is going to egg him on.

Bingo.

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #371 on: October 04, 2017, 11:20:37 PM »

I thought it was Fuck Stain 45.

That's what I heard, too...  :omg:

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #372 on: October 04, 2017, 11:26:23 PM »

Which could be code for Donald Trump (the 45th president), whose initials are 'DT', which is also...ah fuck it, I'm probably over-analyzing it here.

:rollin

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: October 04, 2017, 11:36:30 PM »
But as such, the reaction from MP and DS to my review was pretty much the same as when JR reacted badly to my BCSL review.

I've seen you reference this before but I don't think I've read the story behind it. Are you able to share what happened, please?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #374 on: October 05, 2017, 03:43:51 AM »

:rollin
:rollin :rollin :rollin
That kind of deduction is quite inspiring  :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #375 on: October 05, 2017, 06:16:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHSUT-ClRo8
DS and MP commenting on God of the Sun. That chorus reminds me a lot of the style of Rainbow or 80's MSG :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #376 on: October 05, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »
I like what I'm hearing!!! Can't wait!  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »

And to the person saying "nothing that goes on with DT/DS/MP affects you in real life" - weeeeeell ;) But I'm a special case ;) But as such, the reaction from MP and DS to my review was pretty much the same as when JR reacted badly to my BCSL review. I'm worried about what I will be able to do with MP and DS going forward... Will I -want- to do anything? I mean, the reason I started "Dream Theater World" and named it as such was that I wanted to gather the "world" into one umbrella, on both sides. I wanted to cover all aspects. I wanted give exposure to everyone connected to DT. I don't even know if that is possible right now...

I was talking about the average joe, not someone who has any sort of connection with the band in any regard. Obviously, the moment you have interaction that is more one-on-one, you're not an average joe any longer. You have some sort of connection with that person. If I didn't explain that fully, sorry. I thought I did. Trust me, I completely understand your perspective (and have gone through something similar myself).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHSUT-ClRo8
DS and MP commenting on God of the Sun. That chorus reminds me a lot of the style of Rainbow or 80's MSG :tup

I love DS's passion for the song, you can tell he is very proud of it. Looking forward to hearing it.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:20 AM »
On the general theme, my opinion is that this forced camaraderie between MP and DS had better be founded on something more than just a mutual grudge against Dream Theater, because if not then I can see 2018 being a difficult year for the band. They have said that they are spending all next year on this band, touring the world, which is great, but I simply don't see them being very successful. I honestly don't think this album is going to take off on any charts and I don't think they're going to be playing decent sized venues, and it'd be wise for Derek and Mike to practice now not simply lashing out at everyone who doesn't unconditionally love what they've done. It'll be interesting to see how this band survives the long, difficult road ahead as they hit the small clubs and play the gigs night after night. There are 5 strong personalities in this band (with rumours of small clashes already between Derek and Jeff), all of whom have known what comparatively big success is to varying degrees. If by March or April of next year Sons of Apollo haven't taken off, will we see the first unfortunate case of "scheduling conflicts"? I suspect so.

I agree. As you say, they don't seem to be willing to put the hard work into it. They want to become "the kings of prog metal" inmediately even before their first, and already controversial, album is released. To me, they're definitely going to be disappointed, not necessarily because the album is going to be badly received, but because they have some very unrealistic expectations, and a new band, doesn't matter who's in it, can't achieve that much in such short time.

Bingo.

Neal is his future and Derek is his past. I think with Derek he is living too much in the past and wants SOA to be the next DT immediately. It feeds into his bitterness of what he could have had, same with Derek. Neal is a fresh and separate entity from his past with a great musical future. Plus I agree Neal is so mush more positive and Derek is like a jealous kid.

Well, I have now analyzed people I don't know based on some interviews and tweets. Good grief. :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »

We know one of the commenters.

Huh?

Wasn't that our own Kotowboy weighing in in the comments section?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »

Huh?

Does anyone know what happened to him on DTF?  :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »

Huh?

Might be a coincidence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »

Huh?

Does anyone know what happened to him on DTF?  :huh:

Mike called in one last favor to the Adrenaline Mob.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »