Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467548 times)

Offline jcmoorehead

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2017, 06:59:48 AM »
I'm not sure if I'll be taking the stance of never buying anything from Portnoy again because of this, it depends on the project I guess and the attitudes of it. I'll probably still buy Neal Morse stuff as an example. (Although I've been saying I'd get Simultude for about a year now and still not gotten around to it  :P )

I am however one of the people who is going to be avoiding this particular project, I usually try to not let the attitudes of the artists dissuade me but the way Derek/Mike have been, especially with them now starting to have a go at the fans is really off-putting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
Luckily, LUCKILY, DT is smart enough to stay away from this sort of shit. Granted, they have a whole lot of problems in their own camp to deal with, but they definitely know that acknowledging any of this stuff means lowering yourself.

Or they just don't have an album to push at this point.   It's a really tough thing for me to read too much into "silence".  "Silence" is too easily "anything we want it to be".    For me, no indication of how they feel is exactly that:  no indication.    They could be pissed off, they could be laughing their asses off, they could be having a heart-to-heart with their management about how to move forward... who knows?    It's the worst sort of speculation. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »

I was at Night Ranger Friday - by myself (it was a fairground, and my wife and step-daughter were elsewhere in the fair) - and I can remember when Sing Me Away came on and some old fat guy (not me) and his girl looked over at me and we traded horns and cheesy guitar faces, but we were having a fucking BLAST.  That's what it's about.  Not this nonsense about what's a "real" review or not.   I don't give a flap about apps and wizardry and cheese.  Jack Blades is a walking block of cheddar as far as that goes, and yet there were 5,000 people (at least) rockin' out like it was a Beatles reunion.   I just want good, honest, heart-felt music.

What was the encore?  :metal

Sister Christian
(You Can Still) Rock In America

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »
Luckily, LUCKILY, DT is smart enough to stay away from this sort of shit. Granted, they have a whole lot of problems in their own camp to deal with, but they definitely know that acknowledging any of this stuff means lowering yourself.

Or they just don't have an album to push at this point.   It's a really tough thing for me to read too much into "silence".  "Silence" is too easily "anything we want it to be".    For me, no indication of how they feel is exactly that:  no indication.    They could be pissed off, they could be laughing their asses off, they could be having a heart-to-heart with their management about how to move forward... who knows?    It's the worst sort of speculation.

The thing is, even if they said anything, they'd say NOTHING. The only chance for honesty/a slip would be from James.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: October 03, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
They all seem fairly happy to me, maybe Mangini would like to be more involved but TA was a one off Petrucci project and not a standard DT album.  I'm sure he will be more involved this time around as he was with DT12.  Glad they haven't got involved in all the "banter" with DS/MP as they are far too classy to do so.  Their albums sell themselves based upon one of the most stellar, consistent back catalogues in rock/metal history.

Do we know any of this or is it speculation?   I admit I didn't follow it as closely as I perhaps should have (DT isn't "that band" for me anymore) but I never got the sense that it was a "one-off Petrucci project".  I know Jordan took great pride in his contributions to the record.   There is also little to indicate that he will again be "more involved this time". 

As for the last sentence, I'd be very surprised.   VERY surprised.  This is not the Maiden or Rush catalogue, after all.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
I'd say TA was JP's baby, but not a JP solo project by any means. JR was very much involved.  However, it was pretty much those two.  I'd say it's almost a guarantee that the other members are more involved in the next album, although that is just speculation on my part.  MM has expressed publicly that he wants to be more involved, I think it would be smart on DT's part to hear his ideas out at least.  I'd love some more JM lyrics as well. 

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2017, 09:09:34 AM »

Except they never used to "us vs. them" approach to sell any of their post-breakup records. Not to mention that the comments about the split from the DT side have been few and far between since 2011 or so.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
They all seem fairly happy to me, maybe Mangini would like to be more involved but TA was a one off Petrucci project and not a standard DT album.  I'm sure he will be more involved this time around as he was with DT12.  Glad they haven't got involved in all the "banter" with DS/MP as they are far too classy to do so.  Their albums sell themselves based upon one of the most stellar, consistent back catalogues in rock/metal history.

Do we know any of this or is it speculation?   I admit I didn't follow it as closely as I perhaps should have (DT isn't "that band" for me anymore) but I never got the sense that it was a "one-off Petrucci project".  I know Jordan took great pride in his contributions to the record.   There is also little to indicate that he will again be "more involved this time". 

Mangini has said multiple times on his social media/web that he's going to be much more involved on the next album. I just hope it actually happens.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »

Do we know any of this or is it speculation?

No, we pretty much know it.

As for the last sentence, I'd be very surprised.   VERY surprised.  This is not the Maiden or Rush catalogue, after all.   

Exactly.  Hence why it is both a "stellar" AND "consistent" back catalog.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
Did everybody see what Bosk just did there?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
Pretty impressive actually. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
:)  Nicely done.  Though I'd put Rush in with DT on the stellar and consistent back catalog.  I know not everyone likes their whole discography, but everyone disagrees (vehemently at times) about which ones are the weak ones.  :)  I know at least Stadler has my back on Grace Under Pressure being a *great* album...

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
Here is the interview. Lots of info and insights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7exJyAgjhk
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:13:05 AM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2017, 02:24:27 AM »
Here is the interview. Lots of info and insights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7exJyAgjhk
Very cool, interesting all around!

Some standout tidbits for me:
- The SoA logo/album cover is also a reverse Armenian coat of arms (where the eagle and the lion face opposite directions)
- MP actually said that he's "coming home" by playing prog metal again, confirming my theory about the lyrics he sang in Coming Home (later Derek calls it the MP theme song)
- They'll play DT covers live

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2017, 03:14:09 AM »
And I bet they will play Lines in the Sand.
Derek admitted in another interview that I did : https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2017/08/29/interview-in-english-derek-sherinian/  that I wanted to play Lines in the Sand and Hell's Kitchen (which makes sense).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2017, 03:33:51 AM »
Derek admitted in another interview that I did : https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2017/08/29/interview-in-english-derek-sherinian/  that I wanted to play Lines in the Sand and Hell's Kitchen (which makes sense).
Yeah, Lines in the Sand is an obvious choice, it will showcase Derek & Mike in the intro. Bumblefoot has a nice high singing voice, he can sing James' parts, while Soto sings the more raspy parts of Doug Pinnick. That chorus will come out great.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2017, 04:52:55 AM »
Something that struck me; MP is coming off "high" on the adrenaline from the Shattered Fortress shows and wants that type of energy again (which he didnt get as much from any of the other bands hes been trying out since 2010). But the nostalgia factor of Shattered Fortress was 90% of why the audience reacted as they did. FII does not have that same nostalgia factor, and the rest is all new tracks from a new album. I dont think the audience will have NEAR the same energy as they had at the SF shows.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:52 AM »
... so they've been (well, mostly Derek) been taking jabs at DT but they're going to play DT music live? Well... that's interesting... not sure why they don't play some of Derek's solo stuff instead, show us what the #KingofKeys is all about
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2017, 05:23:43 AM »
Something that struck me; MP is coming off "high" on the adrenaline from the Shattered Fortress shows and wants that type of energy again (which he didnt get as much from any of the other bands hes been trying out since 2010). But the nostalgia factor of Shattered Fortress was 90% of why the audience reacted as they did. FII does not have that same nostalgia factor, and the rest is all new tracks from a new album. I dont think the audience will have NEAR the same energy as they had at the SF shows.

Hmm, I don't know. I have seen him recently with the Neal Morse Band and the energy of those shows was as high as any great/fantastic concert I have seen. Sure, SF shows had special value for many DT fans, but great entertainers and a good crowd can come a very long way.

But there are possibly cultural differences as well. For example, I recently watched some Sonata Arctica clips of them playing in South America, and the crowd was really into their newest songs (and loudly singing along), whereas in homecountry Finland the crowd is (relatively) silent for almost any song, including classics.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2017, 06:09:54 AM »
- They'll play DT covers live

Are you kidding? I thought The Shattered Fortress was the "last time ever".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #300 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:12 AM »
They could play Anna Lee, which DS put as an instrumental on one of his solo albums. That way they play a DT and tune, and not.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #301 on: October 04, 2017, 06:20:25 AM »

Hmm, I don't know. I have seen him recently with the Neal Morse Band and the energy of those shows was as high as any great/fantastic concert I have seen. Sure, SF shows had special value for many DT fans, but great entertainers and a good crowd can come a very long way. .

The energi thing isnt something im assuming, it comes from MP interviews. ITS something he has commented on.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2017, 06:32:47 AM »

I'm not suggesting that Jordan did not contribute but this whole project (including whatever spin offs have happened or are intended) was Petrucci's vision.  He wrote the story and all the lyrics, he shut out the rest of the band apart from his writing partner Jordan when composing the music as he needed that focus as it had to be meticulously planned out.  It was not a flat out solo project but it was a one off in the way the album came together, very different to any of their other albums and, from stuff I've read, we will be going back to a more standard DT album next time around.

Maiden and Rush both also have excellent back catalogues, I agree, although there are one of two duds in the Maiden catalogue (Virtual XI and No Prayer For The Dying spring to mind).  Not many bands though have 13 albums released and not a bad one in there.  Sure there are some I like more than others but there's not one, I would say is a bad album or was just phoned in.  Maiden, Rush and DT are the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway I digress, this is not the DT thread, it is the SOA thread.  I will still give this a listen when it comes out despite the circus around it but it won't be a blind purchase like MP projects used to be.

« Reply #303 on: October 04, 2017, 06:49:57 AM »
They could play Anna Lee, which DS put as an instrumental on one of his solo albums. That way they play a DT and tune, and not.
Same interview : https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2017/08/29/interview-in-english-derek-sherinian/ Derek has no interest in playing Anna Lee.

@Skeever : Mike said it was the last time he would assemble a band to play only DT songs. And they are not going to play songs from SFAM, TOT or other albums recorded without Derek.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »
Yeah, Lines in the Sand is an obvious choice, it will showcase Derek & Mike in the intro. Bumblefoot has a nice high singing voice, he can sing James' parts, while Soto sings the more raspy parts of Doug Pinnick. That chorus will come out great.

I think playing BMS/HK/LITS is the way to go. BMS has MP lyrics (and he loves to play the DT songs he wrote the lyrics for) and has a great Derek keyboard solo. Also, these 3 songs flow so well toghether, that, imo, it's best to play them back to back.

As for using Bumblefoot's voice, I don't think they'll use it too much, maybe not at all. Don't ask me why...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »
The coolest thing about the latest interview is the fact that there's a nugget in one of the SOA songs that stemmed from the Scenes From a Memory demo.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »

Ever since they played LITS with PSMS I kept imagining how that song would sound with a different style of singing. It think it has the potential of sounding amazing live. Only a handful of weeks until we find out!!!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:12 AM »
The coolest thing about the latest interview is the fact that there's a nugget in one of the SOA songs that stemmed from the Scenes From a Memory demo.

I dont think thats what they said at all... More that they wanted to, to see if fans wouldve recognized it.

« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:59 AM »
No there is not. It's a joke they could do for the next album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2017, 07:46:03 AM »

Or they could just skip the Doug Pinnick parts altogether, since they absolutely ruin the song for me.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: October 04, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »
Maiden and Rush both also have excellent back catalogues, I agree, although there are one of two duds in the Maiden catalogue (Virtual XI and No Prayer For The Dying spring to mind).  Not many bands though have 13 albums released and not a bad one in there.  Sure there are some I like more than others but there's not one, I would say is a bad album or was just phoned in.  Maiden, Rush and DT are the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks for the clarification re: The Astonishing.    I appreciate that.

As for catalogues, I suppose I'll give you that.   I mean, I think there are debates to be had; is SC a "dud?  Some seem to think so (I don't).  Is p/g a dud?  I certainly think so, but others don't.   I think the thing I was going for was Rush as a reputation - I think well deserved - for having one of the most consistent catalogues in rock history.   They also came from a different time, having been given a three- album head start on their career, and having had a career where they actually evolve, meaningfully.   I don't like p/g at all, but I can't honestly say it's so far out of whack that it ruins the catalogue.  It's certainly a reasonable avenue of exploration from Signals and a logical precursor to Power Windows.   I also think Virtual IX is quintessentially Maiden, and suffers only for not having Dickinson on it, and that's not really the same as "losing the plot".  Anyway... good discussion.  Back to SoA.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
New Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vcUEf0v8E

Of course it starts off with Derek making remarks.

Regardless, fun to watch.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: October 04, 2017, 08:10:11 AM »
New Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vcUEf0v8E

Of course it starts off with Derek making remarks.

Regardless, fun to watch.

Yeah aside from that stuff it's a fun video.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Derek's remarks at the beginning sure are...interesting, and depending on how you feel about them may increase your distaste for him and/or this band.

Regardless, I'll let the music speak for itself and it sounds neat enough. Glad to see we've got minotaurs in there...so prog.

Anyone else notice a lack of Billy Sheehan? I wonder how late into the sessions he came on board...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
The thing that gets me is that Jordan has been the only member of DT that has publicly been friendly and seen with Mike since the split. To let Derek continuously make those comments, let alone laugh at them, makes Mike look really bad in my eyes.

And honestly, I don't get the comments anyway. You're a freakin' KEYBOARD player. Your whole thing is emulating sounds that you cannot make acoustically... that's what a keyboard does. So why are you making fun of someone who's doing the same thing you're doing, but in a more interesting way... oh, I guess I answered my own question
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.