Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464377 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6125 on: February 02, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6126 on: February 03, 2020, 01:26:05 PM »
This reminds me of something crappy today's metal scene. There's really not a lot of "we're taking this band on tour because we like them even though they're on a different label" anymore. You'd think a lot of bands would jump at the chance to take SoA on tour with them - they come with an inbuilt audience, they're seasoned professionals, they're musicians' musicians (so they all individually have fans in those bands Mike mentioned). But the bands they're interested in opening for don't think about these things, and the folks who do haven't given them an invitation. Why should they, when there is a bunch of up-and-comers on every label who are willing to pay for an opening slot all year round for any band that's even vaguely in their wheelhouse?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6127 on: February 05, 2020, 04:46:39 AM »
The Toronto show was incredible. I haven't had this much fun in a concert in a long time. Much better than the show of the first tour. And honestly, more spontaneous than the last DT show I saw.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6128 on: February 05, 2020, 05:26:26 AM »
MP answered about that on the interview I did with him:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sons-of-apollo-didnt-want-to-mess-with-its-good-chemistry-on-new-album-mmxx/

"Honestly, none of us want to be out there in clubs playing for our existing fanbase"

Wait... isn't Mike the one who said if you want more tour dates, you gotta travel to come see them? How can you expand to a wider audience if you say things like that  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6129 on: February 05, 2020, 05:41:23 AM »
MP answered about that on the interview I did with him:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sons-of-apollo-didnt-want-to-mess-with-its-good-chemistry-on-new-album-mmxx/

"Honestly, none of us want to be out there in clubs playing for our existing fanbase"

Wait... isn't Mike the one who said if you want more tour dates, you gotta travel to come see them? How can you expand to a wider audience if you say things like that  :lol

Yeah, that is a loaded statement for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6130 on: February 05, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »
I'll see you there on Thursday :metal

Beers tomorrow?  I've got to see how early I can get out of work for sure, but if I can make it, I'd be down.

Also, for those who have seen the show, what time does Tony McAlpine come on?  8pm?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6131 on: February 05, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »

9pm in Toronto. His show was great, and having Aquiles Priester with him was a good strategy - he's a fan of Tony's, and it shows. The band that played before Tony is horrible, and clearly they payed for their slot on this tour. Horrible riffs, and not on par with the other players on the same bill. The only thing worth noting about their set is that they have two left handed guitar players, something I don't think I've ever seen in any other band.

Beers tomorrow?  I've got to see how early I can get out of work for sure, but if I can make it, I'd be down.

Also, for those who have seen the show, what time does Tony McAlpine come on?  8pm?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6132 on: February 05, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
There's another opening band? I didn't even know, and then SOA goes on when?  9PM Tony time seems late. But honestly works out better for me, I'll have no issue catching his full set then. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6133 on: February 05, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »
SOA started at 10pm.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6134 on: February 05, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »
damn thats a late show... definitely glad I'm staying over in the city tomorrow night, thanks for the info Rodrigo  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6135 on: February 05, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
Between the weather - we're getting icy rain and snow tomorrow - and the time, I'm probably out for tomorrow.  Bummer.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6136 on: February 05, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
Maybe he's just upset nobody's let him bring his lava lamps back on stage.

I wonder what happened to that guy.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6137 on: February 05, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »

I'm down :metal With a little luck I'll be out of work at 5:30, 6pm at the latest, and then it takes me 25 minutes to get there. The website says doors at 7 and show at 8, and it sounds like the first band before Tony is worth seeing.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6138 on: February 05, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
damn thats a late show... definitely glad I'm staying over in the city tomorrow night, thanks for the info Rodrigo  :tup

The set times may vary depending on the venue. Most Toronto venues publish the set times on the day of the show, which helps.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6139 on: February 05, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »

The set times may vary depending on the venue. Most Toronto venues publish the set times on the day of the show, which helps.

Somewhere said 7pm and somewhere said 8pm (stubhub where I bought the ticket vs. ticketmaster), which is why I asked... but I could have just went right to the venue's website which says 7pm doors, 8pm show subject to change.

I'll PM you Bill

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6140 on: February 07, 2020, 08:10:36 AM »
Really awesome show last night  :metal :metal

The Portnoys were in the house, saw Mike with his wife and daughter walk in (the guy next to me ran to him and got a pic as he walked into the venue).  I just watched the family come with Dad, pretty cool.  Chatted with the guy who did the recent MP interview, nice guy.  Anyway, the band sounded awesome and Gramercy Theater holds about 500 and was pretty packed for them.  The highlights were definitely Bumblefoot's guitar playing again.  He was just so awesome.  Very fun to watch him play and he makes it look fun, plus... I think he was the better singer over JSS.  Honestly, thought JSS sounded off.  I thought maybe he was losing his voice (listening to my videos... sadly confirms he sounds a bit weak in his voice).  MP and Billy were their usual awesome selfs, having seen that due a few times with SOA and TWD, they just got the rhtyhm section down really well.  Both are fun to watch live.  Derek... I actually enjoyed him.  Yes, he has the resting bitch face, but honestly seemed just fine with "being into it".  I didn't focus on him too much, too much talent on one stage, but honestly didn't feel the negativity I had felt before from watching him.  Maybe it's also because I watched from the back?

Hung around after the show with a few guys just BSing.  Only one way in and out of that venue, so slowly they started trickling out. 

Tony MacAlpine:

Billy Sheehan:

Bumblefoot:

Also got a pick from Ron  :metal JSS came out and maybe it was his manager or something told everyone he needs to save his voice and wanted to just go to the bus.  So I said thanks and he said you're welcome.... and Derek literally ran out and away before anyone could talk to him  :rollin  I didn't see MP, unless he was there until after 1:30am.  Great night for sure

So some videos:

Sons of Apollo - Desolate July (dedicated to David Z and Kobe Bryant) Live @ Gramercy Theater NYC

Sons of Apollo - Wither to Black Live @ Gramercy Theater NYC

Sons of Apollo - Burn (with Tony MacAlpine) Live @ Gramercy Theater NYC

awesome nice to hang with Axeman again, another concert in the books.  I'll have a my full video up later tonight after I get home from work.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6141 on: February 07, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
Bummer about Jeff's voice.

Even though I've kind of defended Derek's stage presence, its lame of him to not stay and chat and take a few pics. I guess no one is entitled to it, but you would think he'd put more effort into making a good impression since the band hasn't had as much success as I think everyone expected. Just going with what everyone else said about other interactions, is he even into this?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6142 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:37 AM »
Obviously there are countless stories of Mike hanging around after the shows with fans, but over the past three, four years, I've seen Mike about six or seven times, and almost every time he's hung in the venue for a LONG time after the show.   At the SOA show I saw on the last tour, several of us hung for quite a while after the show, and at one point the bouncer - who was the son of one of the people hanging, so I don't think they were running "interference" - said "they look like they're going to be there a while" (and because he was working, he wasn't thrilled with that). 

NYC is by far the best for that "sidewalk meet".  I got to hang with Gary Barden and chat for two cigarettes, and he was an exceedingly nice guy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6143 on: February 07, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »
As much as Mike is known for spending time with the fans, I wouldn't expect him to if his family were at a show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6144 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:26 AM »
Bummer about Jeff's voice.

Even though I've kind of defended Derek's stage presence, its lame of him to not stay and chat and take a few pics. I guess no one is entitled to it, but you would think he'd put more effort into making a good impression since the band hasn't had as much success as I think everyone expected. Just going with what everyone else said about other interactions, is he even into this?

Honestly, I don't expect any of them to come chat or take pics or do anything besides hit the tour bus.  I'm not entitled to that at all, especially when people pay for meet and greets.  However, it does make difference in terms of winning people over to make an effort to be nice.  Billy honestly didn't seem like he wanted to take pics.  He came out, asked us all to hold on and went to the bus real quick and then kind of asked everyone who wanted a pic to come get one quickly.  He was nice about it, very business like from him and even that is awesome.  Like I said, he doesn't have to do that, and even not wanting to, putting the effort makes a big difference.  I really respect him. 

Also, there wasn't many of us.  Maybe 6 or so.  It was super late and rainy and cold.  Ron was sweet though, with his wife and child.  He's such a super nice guy, I really like him a lot as a musician and person.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6145 on: February 07, 2020, 09:15:06 AM »
You make nice points cramx3. I too have your approach, if I meet someone's all for the better, but if I can't, it's not that I consider them entitled assholes. I paid for the show, the chance to chat and / or take a picture is a bonus, I'll never hold a band member responsible for avoiding a crowd, everyone has the right to have a moody day, feeling tired, needing to rest (especially the singer) or whatever.

About "People paid for meet n' greet"... I'm torn about that. It's a revenue, it's an exchange - the band needs support and money and they give you something in return. Do you really need the 37th black shirt with a logo on the front? no, but it's a trade, you shell out some cash, you have a band shirt. Same with the meet n' greet, I don't think bands who do it think of themselves are people worth money to be met - it's once again a trade, you give them money, instead of giving you a shirt they give you some of their time, a guaranteed occasion to say Hi, and a professional photo (or whatever the package entitles).

When I saw Halestorm they did have a meet n' greet, yet I waited around after the show, and they all came out and I took pictures with all of them, heck, I actually kissed Lzzy Hale  ;D on the cheeck, but I did kiss her. For free. While people paid to stand in line and being instructed by the tour manager "One item only, don't shake the hand of the drummer too hard" or whatever.

Anyway, as you said, in the age of social media and selfies let's all remember that meeting the band after the show is a bonus and not an obligation. I'm just happy I basically met anyone I wanted to, and that only the size of the venue sometimes prevented it. I can't remember ever being shunned away on purpouse by a musician.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6146 on: February 07, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
...heck, I actually kissed Lzzy Hale  ;D on the cheeck, but I did kiss her. For free.

Okay, well this just went from "yeah, this is a perfectly reasonable position" to "creepytown" real quick.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6147 on: February 07, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »
 :lol

That is pretty awesome though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6148 on: February 07, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »
I actually kissed Lzzy Hale  ;D on the cheeck, but I did kiss her. For free.
:metal

:hefdaddy

:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6149 on: February 07, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »
I actually kissed Lzzy Hale  ;D on the cheeck, but I did kiss her. For free.

You win.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6150 on: February 07, 2020, 02:06:19 PM »
Does the restraining order prevent you from seeing a lot of shows?  :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6151 on: February 07, 2020, 11:32:38 PM »
Show tonight in Jim Thorpe was awesome, with the encore in particular standing out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6152 on: February 08, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »
...heck, I actually kissed Lzzy Hale  ;D on the cheeck, but I did kiss her. For free.

Okay, well this just went from "yeah, this is a perfectly reasonable position" to "creepytown" real quick.
I'm into appropriate boundaries and all but some people in bands are major huggers, why deny them the opportunity  :heart and this was in Italy, where greeting someone with a kiss on the cheek goodbye or hello is more common than it is in your neck of the woods.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6153 on: February 08, 2020, 05:56:00 AM »
Actually all I wanted was a pic of her pretending to kiss me, with her lips near my cheek, but as usual my nervousness got the best of me and all I could say was "Can I get a kiss?", to which she tapped her cheek with the finger in a "go for it" gesture, and so  I did kiss her  :biggrin:

Sorry for having given the impression that I launched forward against her as soon as she came out of the venue kissing her before she had a chance to understand what was going on  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6154 on: February 08, 2020, 09:14:26 AM »
I kind of thought Bosk was joking, you didn't write that out in a creepy way IMO, but also I believe I've read your story on this forum before but that's so damn awesome.  Also I know little about Lzzy, but she definitely comes off as a cool person that would totally be fine with that (obviously she was). 

Anyway, didn't finish this until late last night, but here's my full video from the NYC show, over an hour of music (audio and video came out excellent  :yarr )

Sons of Apollo & Tony MacAlpine LIVE @ Gramercy Theater NYC 2/6/2020 *cramx3 concert experience*

also, I love this picture (it's actually a still from my video TBH)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6155 on: February 08, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »
Got my media book today and wasn't expecting much based on all of the comments. Well, I have almost one listen under my belt and this thing is head and shoulders above the debut. The riffage is there, the songs sound great. I'm really enjoying this record.

I also noticed that the instrumental mixes seem to be slightly different. I did some comparisons and the instrument separation and crispness seem much better on them, at least the 2 I checked out. I usually don't enjoy instrumental versions of lyrical songs but these seem to hold up rather well.

All in all, very satisfied so far.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6156 on: February 08, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
Cram...you are crushing life right now. :metal

I watched the Burn Video. Damn, that was great. Loved Ron singing the Hughes part. perfect.

So nice to see Tony performing.

Great pic with Billy!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6157 on: February 09, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »

I'm into appropriate boundaries and all but some people in bands are major huggers, why deny them the opportunity  :heart and this was in Italy, where greeting someone with a kiss on the cheek goodbye or hello is more common than it is in your neck of the woods.

Shit, I'm not a hugger and a lot of my board-gaming friends (both genders) are, so sure, let's hug, how can I decline.

Also I think I'll go to that SoA show we're getting in March. Not a fan of the band's music but I'm sure I'll find ways to make it fun.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6158 on: February 09, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
From JSS Facebook:
“ And that's a wrap...for now! Two weeks off to recharge and we take this over to Europe next! Thanks to the greatest band in the land, Sons Of Apollo, our faithful crew, all the local promoters/venues/staff and most of all, everyone who came out in numbers to see us, we surpassed all expectations and that only means you're not getting rid of us anytime soon!! ...”
It seems that it won’t be the only US leg and the band did fine for this tour cicle  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6159 on: February 10, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
The NYC show was packed.  It was about 1/4 the size of the venue they played last time in NYC, but packed none the less is a good thing.  Also, from a few people I spoke to at the show, it was their first time seeing them.

Anyway, coolest thing happened over the weekend.  I posted some videos/pics on my instagram and Bumblefoot not only liked it, but followed me.  Maybe it's because that's the second selfie together he's liked on my instagram.