Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466641 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6055 on: January 28, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
I pretty much agree Bosk. I don't think I'd be happy if someone told me to write something more positive when my honest opinion was negative if it was all meant for fun, but I can understand it more from a professional standpoint.

I can be critical of bands here because it's a discussion forum and I feel I can share my honest opinion but I won't ever talk poorly about bands I make youtube videos of or when I comment on social media.  There's already too much of that, I'd rather focus on the positive in public space like that where a positive attitude towards the band might actually help the band vs. the non stop negativity on social media.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6056 on: January 28, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
Okay, but what good are professional reviews if they are all positive and no one wants to do any that are negative?  Not saying anyone should do a negative review for fun or for sport, but reviews don't mean a whole lot if they are all positive.

And I definitely agree with the earlier sentiment about prog reviewers.  Prog sites and fans are very protective about the genre, so the biggies of the genre are almost always gonna get reviews that are, at the very least, positive. 

In the case of Mike Portnoy, given his personality, I am sure most reviewers know by now that he is the type who would cut you off from any future interviews if you gave him a negative review, and probably advise others close to him to do the same, so they probably feel almost obligated to give anything he does a good review.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6057 on: January 28, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »
Indeed. These types of reviews mean little to me since they are usually positively biased. I don't want to read negative reviews for the sake of reading negative reviews, but I do want to know what the reviewer actually thinks of the album and not a sugar-coated version.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6058 on: January 28, 2020, 02:27:50 PM »
Honestly album reviews in general mean very little to me.  Only my own ears can tell if I will like music or not.  Same for other artistic reviews.  It's up to the viewer/listener's interpretation if they will enjoy it.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6059 on: January 28, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
I pretty much agree with Bosk, except for cases in which there is virtually no redeeming quality.

The last Yes album would be an album where there is no way I could write anything positive.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #6060 on: January 28, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »
Honestly album reviews in general mean very little to me.  Only my own ears can tell if I will like music or not.  Same for other artistic reviews.  It's up to the viewer/listener's interpretation if they will enjoy it.

Exactly. And I think this is also pretty obvious.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6061 on: January 28, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
I pretty much agree with Bosk, except for cases in which there is virtually no redeeming quality.

The last Yes album would be an album where there is no way I could write anything positive.

The cover is nice... wait, no, no it isn't.  You're right, carry on.  :)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6062 on: January 28, 2020, 09:09:29 PM »
When I used to write beer reviews I would refrain from doing so for a style that I don't care for, but if the brewer made something that should've been in my wheelhouse and I didn't enjoy it I had no problem writing a bad review.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6063 on: January 28, 2020, 10:46:04 PM »

Not to derail the thread, but I could write a mostly positive Heaven & Earth that's completely honest. I don't get the hate for it.

Unless you're talking about Return Trip, in which case, yeah :tdwn
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6064 on: January 28, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »
Cool to see that the show in Salt Lake sold out the 300 capacity venue and was upgraded to a 700 capacity venue. That’s got to feel good for them (well, Derek probably is still bored by it, but for the other 4 it’s great!)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6065 on: January 29, 2020, 03:05:45 AM »

Good musicianship, and while I can't think of or remember any riffs/lyircs or lines after a dozen listens or so....I can still listen to it and at least enjoy it. (other than Desolate July which I skip every time)
And just think, if Desolate July was a new Ozzy Osbourne song, it would likely be a big hit all over the radio right now. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bentower

« Reply #6066 on: January 29, 2020, 03:39:30 AM »
On the subject of Derek looking bored, I don't know if it's that or if he's trying to look tough and rock 'n roll.

That ascending-descending riff in Resurrection Day is pretty cool and probably the best part of the album for me. It'd been nice if they'd put in more catchy things like that.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6067 on: January 29, 2020, 05:58:46 AM »
He looked the same when I saw him live with Black Country Communion, back in 2012. I think it is just how he is (bored in whatever band he is in).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6068 on: January 29, 2020, 06:35:21 AM »
I haven't watched my old DT 5 Years in a Livetime DVD in a loooong time, I should again and see how Derek looked back then.  I remember thinking he brought a different vibe to the band, but I don't remember the "bored" look.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6069 on: January 29, 2020, 07:30:10 AM »
Maybe he's just upset nobody's let him bring his lava lamps back on stage.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6070 on: January 29, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »
 :justjen That's what's missing from SOA  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6071 on: January 29, 2020, 07:57:04 AM »
About Derek

-I believe addressed his demeanor during shows in the last Sonic Perspectives interview with Rodrigo from this forum. IIRC, he looks that way because he is thinking about the song. He doesn't have an iPad like Jordan to see the notes he has to play.

I personally don't have a problem with the way Derek plays. I'd rather have a good show with the proper notes and stuff and not a Derek missing parts here and there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6072 on: January 29, 2020, 08:05:11 AM »
I'd rather him miss a note and look like he enjoys what he does.  I can't imagine he truly is as annoyed as he looks otherwise why would he be doing this for a living, but he really needs to understand his negative vibe he gives off really is a turn off and should try to understand his demeanor is important in a live setting.  Doing a comparison to JR just makes me dislike him even more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6073 on: January 29, 2020, 08:10:58 AM »
He looked the same when I saw him live with Black Country Communion, back in 2012. I think it is just how he is (bored in whatever band he is in).

"Looking bored" and "being bored" are two wildly different things.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6074 on: January 29, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »

Is that what your wife tells you?

:biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6075 on: January 29, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »

Ha! It's how we've lasted this long.  :) :) :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6076 on: January 29, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »

Ha! It's how we've lasted this long.  :) :) :)

Well I'm glad somethings lasting long.

Sorry I'm done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6077 on: January 29, 2020, 08:17:31 AM »
I saw Derek with Dream Theater three or four times and he never looked bored. And I saw him with Billy Idol, he didn't have to play a lot, but he didn't look bored there either. So if he is now, something has changed.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6078 on: January 29, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
The only time I ever saw Derek live was at the Black Label Society "Unblackened" show in LA in 2013. He seemed to be having a blast, especially during Zakk's little acoustic shred interludes, where he basically followed him note for note on piano.

I think he may just be bored with SOA, BCC, etc.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6079 on: January 29, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
But... how are you bored with a band that you are a founding member of?  Like, I can understand if this tour is not doing well to feel that way, but even on the first tour?  on the bands live album?  During the meet and greet at progpower? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6080 on: January 29, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
But... how are you bored with a band that you are a founding member of?  Like, I can understand if this tour is not doing well to feel that way, but even on the first tour?  on the bands live album?  During the meet and greet at progpower? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6081 on: January 29, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
Doing a comparison to JR just makes me dislike him even more.

No. He didn't mentioned JR by name. I added that since JR uses an iPad to follow the music. I should have said "paraphrasing" DS from Rodrigo's interview...

I really don't know what the big fuss about DS being bored is. What about JM during the MP days? He does look more excited without MP in the band. Usually MP likes to be the center of attention and then you also have JSS....so there's at least two guys trying to pump up the crowd.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6082 on: January 29, 2020, 09:00:20 AM »
I see nothing wrong with being bored.

But it does kind of kill the vibe of a live show if it feels like someone is just going through the motions.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6083 on: January 29, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
Doing a comparison to JR just makes me dislike him even more.

No. He didn't mentioned JR by name. I added that since JR uses an iPad to follow the music. I should have said "paraphrasing" DS from Rodrigo's interview...

I really don't know what the big fuss about DS being bored is. What about JM during the MP days? He does look more excited without MP in the band. Usually MP likes to be the center of attention and then you also have JSS....so there's at least two guys trying to pump up the crowd.

Myung is not very interesting to watch either for me, but he doesn't look negative, he looks neutral really.  DT's live show would be much better if Myung/JP/JBL were a bit more animated, that certainly seems to be a big negative from many people who see DT live. DS vibe is very negative in my eyes and actually makes me dislike his performance because it makes me feel like he doesn't want to be there. JM doesn't really make me feel that way, but he does bore me a bit tbh.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6084 on: January 29, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
DT's live show would be much better if Myung/JP/JBL were a bit more animated, that certainly seems to be a big negative from many people who see DT live. DS vibe is very negative in my eyes and actually makes me dislike his performance because it makes me feel like he doesn't want to be there. JM doesn't really make me feel that way, but he does bore me a bit tbh.

I've seen DT for TA tour, the IAW anniversary tour and 2x for the Scene's tour....and Myung has been more animated than he's been in years IMO, that's not saying much though  :lol. JP and JLB actively attempt to 'get into' the performance and show. The one show I saw of SOA...DS looked utterly bored and almost mad that he had to be playing. Maybe he just concentrates hard....maybe he's just a huge dick....who knows, but the rest of his band mates were REALLY into it and put on a great performance. DS looked annoyed.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6086 on: January 29, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »
DT's live show would be much better if Myung/JP/JBL were a bit more animated, that certainly seems to be a big negative from many people who see DT live. DS vibe is very negative in my eyes and actually makes me dislike his performance because it makes me feel like he doesn't want to be there. JM doesn't really make me feel that way, but he does bore me a bit tbh.

I've seen DT for TA tour, the IAW anniversary tour and 2x for the Scene's tour....and Myung has been more animated than he's been in years IMO, that's not saying much though  :lol. JP and JLB actively attempt to 'get into' the performance and show. The one show I saw of SOA...DS looked utterly bored and almost mad that he had to be playing. Maybe he just concentrates hard....maybe he's just a huge dick....who knows, but the rest of his band mates were REALLY into it and put on a great performance. DS looked annoyed.

I have a picture of Bumblefoot from the NYC show, he looked right at my camera and smiled.  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi93M0VAjKP/ It's a huge contrast to DS.  That's engagement and even if he is dying inside, it shows he's trying hard to make others happy as an entertainer.  It worked for sure, that show won me over as being a fan of him.  I told him so when I met him after he played with Asia this past summer and then he smiled and took a selfie with me https://www.instagram.com/p/By00qovgao4/  THAT is how you make someone who never knew who you were into a big fan.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6087 on: January 29, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but I could write a mostly positive Heaven & Earth that's completely honest. I don't get the hate for it.

Unless you're talking about Return Trip, in which case, yeah :tdwn

Please tell me what you find good about this poorly sounding, poorly played and poorly composed album  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6088 on: January 29, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »
When I think about it,  what is a keyboardist really supposed to do to enhance the performance,  start headbanging or running around on stage?  I think he's probably stuck in the confines of keyboard land and has a lot of notes to concentrate on. I mean, what can he really do to put on a good show?  I don't think he's much of a key-tar guy.
 I think he just likes to put on his leather jacket and try to look cool, knowing he's the most ripped keyboard player in the business.  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6089 on: January 29, 2020, 10:13:50 AM »
When I think about it,  what is a keyboardist really supposed to do to enhance the performance,  start headbanging or running around on stage?  I think he's probably stuck in the confines of keyboard land and has a lot of notes to concentrate on. I mean, what can he really do to put on a good show?  I don't think he's much of a key-tar guy.
 I think he just likes to put on his leather jacket and try to look cool, knowing he's the most ripped keyboard player in the business.  :chill

But, who thinks he looks cool? He certainly doesn't.  And what could he do?  Smile is the easy answer, but if that's too difficult to do while concentrating, then just don't look like you hate everything and everyone.