Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467375 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5635 on: December 05, 2019, 11:57:42 AM »
Surprising to see that Goodbye Divinity has 1,1 million views on YouTube already. Good for them, but I can't help but wonder what caused that spike this time around. I listened to it twice and was underwhelmed enough to not make that thrice until I have the album in my hands.

Coming home hit 1 million views fairly quickly too.  The guys have a lot of fans around the world who will and have checked it out. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5636 on: December 05, 2019, 12:04:05 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5637 on: December 06, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5638 on: December 07, 2019, 03:31:19 PM »
Surprising to see that Goodbye Divinity has 1,1 million views on YouTube already. Good for them, but I can't help but wonder what caused that spike this time around. I listened to it twice and was underwhelmed enough to not make that thrice until I have the album in my hands.

Coming home hit 1 million views fairly quickly too.  The guys have a lot of fans around the world who will and have checked it out.

They are actually doing very well on at least yt for this type of music. Some of the Plovdiv live clips have hundreds of thousands of views as well. And Coming Home is at 3 million now even.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5639 on: December 07, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
I wonder if Mike will ever dedicate himself
fully and completely to any band. As a long time
fan, I would truly enjoy a recorded performance
where he demoed, refined, and attempted to
create something special.

From a business standpoint that doesn't make a lot of sense. Unfortunately we now live in a different time from when that was sustainable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5640 on: December 07, 2019, 09:34:15 PM »

They are actually doing very well on at least yt for this type of music. Some of the Plovdiv live clips have hundreds of thousands of views as well. And Coming Home is at 3 million now even.

Might look good on paper but I don't understand how that translates into meaningful revenue.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5641 on: December 08, 2019, 03:20:13 AM »

Might look good on paper but I don't understand how that translates into meaningful revenue.

Well, I wasn't talking about revenue, just that their online numbers are good.

But going into that, I know these days you need merch at concerts for revenue. But doing well at social media at the very least means people are listening to your material and that you can reach an audience to promote your material. Translating to ticket sales is difficult, but these days merch is also a big online bussines, but maybe not in metal. Furthermore, using youtube analytics they should be able to determine where there is the most interest. If a big chunk from the views come from a certain country/location, they could decide to focus on building an audience there.

Last time they canned part of their festival tour in EU I recall, I think that was bad luck/a big mistake, because that is where you can win audiences in these circles of music. Still, at least in the Netherlands they should be able to do better, they were sold out in advance and I could not see them.

It is clear that at the very least in the US they aren't happy and the promoters are not excited too. Hopefully they find a way to find their spot.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5642 on: December 08, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
I'd imagine someone at the record label or promoters run some sort of analytics on youtube to get an idea of an audience reach.  It only makes sense as one way to judge a band with a set of statistics.  Is there correlation to ticket sales or merch purchases?  I don't know, but I'd imagine so.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5643 on: December 08, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
I doubt YT views show much of anything.

We have no idea how many people make up those views, since one person could watch it 10 times. We don’t know how much of it they watched. Maybe they turned off after a minute. Maybe they hated it. So a million views just says that. It was viewed to some extent that many times. Doesn’t mean a band has a ton of fans.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5644 on: December 08, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »

But going into that, I know these days you need merch at concerts for revenue. But doing well at social media at the very least means people are listening to your material and that you can reach an audience to promote your material. Translating to ticket sales is difficult, but these days merch is also a big online bussines, but maybe not in metal. Furthermore, using youtube analytics they should be able to determine where there is the most interest. If a big chunk from the views come from a certain country/location, they could decide to focus on building an audience there.

It is clear that at the very least in the US they aren't happy and the promoters are not excited too. Hopefully they find a way to find their spot.

That does make some sense to analyze where the fan base might be and target accordingly but as other have said how trustworthy are the numbers  that would be used?

As far as the US goes, that's a big problem for many bands. It's not limited to just Sons of Apollo.  The US doesn't seem to be a very gig friendly place unless you are crazy huge and have a verifiable track record. It hasn't been for a while not but apparently this problem seems to be getting bigger.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5645 on: December 08, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »

We have no idea how many people make up those views, since one person could watch it 10 times. We don’t know how much of it they watched. Maybe they turned off after a minute. Maybe they hated it. So a million views just says that. It was viewed to some extent that many times. Doesn’t mean a band has a ton of fans.

Well you actually do know all of that via youtube analytics.  And it would be a odd if the people who have money involved aren't analyzing that data.  Google has sooo much data if you look for it.

and I just checked my own channel, for this specific example I can see the average times a person viewed any given video, How many unique viewers, where they are located, view duration, do they watch another video, where did they come from to find the video, so much data.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5646 on: December 08, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
Is anyone else imaging someone chanting #MPWarriors while hitting F5 non-stop to rack up the views count? :P

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5647 on: December 08, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »

Well you actually do know all of that via youtube analytics.  And it would be a odd if the people who have money involved aren't analyzing that data.  Google has sooo much data if you look for it.

and I just checked my own channel, for this specific example I can see the average times a person viewed any given video, How many unique viewers, where they are located, view duration, do they watch another video, where did they come from to find the video, so much data.

Totally, I was more responding to the idea that they have a lot of views and therefor they are doing very well. From our perspective, all we see is the final number. I'm sure the band is well aware of everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5648 on: December 08, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
Is anyone else imaging someone chanting #MPWarriors while hitting F5 non-stop to rack up the views count? :P

I know this is a joke, but I don't think it works this way.  Only for your first 300 views will this work from my understanding.  To get a view after 300 might require watching it for a period of time or some other analytic, I don't know and youtube hasn't shared publicly what counts as a view after 300.  Maybe it is just someone refreshing, I don't know, but being it changes after 300 for advertising purposes, I'd imagine there's some algorithm involved that takes other things into account.  Once advertising is involved, they will try to make sure there isn't fraud involved (fake views and therefore ads being served to people not actually watching)

Totally, I was more responding to the idea that they have a lot of views and therefor they are doing very well. From our perspective, all we see is the final number. I'm sure the band is well aware of everything.

Oh ok, yea more views does not equal being more successful.  There's so much more that goes into it.  Anyone can go viral, doesn't mean people are coming back for more or more importantly, giving you their money. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5649 on: December 09, 2019, 07:40:18 AM »

Well, I don't think anyone here said that. But the fact that they get millions of views surely is not a bad sign. There are many projects/videos from popular artists that get way less attention online.

That does make some sense to analyze where the fan base might be and target accordingly but as other have said how trustworthy are the numbers  that would be used?

As far as the US goes, that's a big problem for many bands. It's not limited to just Sons of Apollo.  The US doesn't seem to be a very gig friendly place unless you are crazy huge and have a verifiable track record. It hasn't been for a while not but apparently this problem seems to be getting bigger.

I don't know if (metal) bands/promoters use these metrics, but I do know in this day and age youtube/social media analytics are used for a variety of marketing purposes, and depending on the data, there might be some valuable insights. If it really is a bunch of fans watching the same video over and over for years, then (to a degree) the data will show that. If there is a large spike in some area, perhaps due to word of mouth or algorithms, then that could potentially be tracked with data.

There are many factors such as, view duration (people who hate it are more likely to turn it off), audience retention (people who like it are more likely to watch their other material as well), re-watches, engagement (comments, other interactions, the overall tone of these), types of audiences and overlap with other audiences (for a large overlap a co-tour can be considered, for example). Typically a combination of these factors can be used to profile potential consumers.

In the end, nothing is for certain, the world is far to complex to boil down to some assumptions based on a couple of metrics, but I would not underestimate the applications of internet analytics either. It is increasingly how this world is operating.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5650 on: December 09, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
In the end, nothing is for certain, the world is far to complex to boil down to some assumptions based on a couple of metrics, but I would not underestimate the applications of internet analytics either. It is increasingly how this world is operating.

And yet we do that all the time.  :) 

(Not saying this to undermine your point - I think you're spot on - but just to make a general observation.)

Online goo-goo

« Reply #5651 on: December 09, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
The Spotify/Youtube/Streaming analytics is a real thing. That was one of the main reasons King Crimson toured South America this time around. I think David Singleton or Robert Fripp addressed this on one of their diary entries.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline emtee

« Reply #5653 on: December 11, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
Pretty cool intro fill.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5654 on: December 12, 2019, 08:18:19 PM »
https://open.spotify.com/track/0upqZcB5Dq5xeIgYWol8Z4?si=5LPNpOpvSi-E7Ia4Tm3ztQ
Another really good song. The arrangements seem truly more worked this time (and I liked the first album a lot).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5655 on: December 13, 2019, 12:02:05 AM »
YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofULQhk0ZQ

I'll be honest: I hate this song.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bentower

« Reply #5656 on: December 13, 2019, 03:39:33 AM »
More YEAH!'s from Soto, more NOT REALLY's from me.
Run-of-the-mill prog metal with an instrumental section lifted out of In the Name of God. So far this appears to be worse than the debut.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5657 on: December 13, 2019, 05:15:23 AM »
I've always thought it is a real interesting idea, this band. Great players and performers get together and make a hard rockin', muscular, brand of prog. But the combination isn't working for me. The intro and vocal sections are all reminiscent of 1980's MSG, which is good (except for the "yeah"), but the instrumental section seems shoehorned in. Bumblefoot's work is interesting, but just not enough to make the instrumental work in the framework of the larger song. I enjoy listening to MP play, but I'm a bit bored with DS.

I keep giving it an honest listen but I'm going to have to pass if these first two songs are indicative of the album. I suspect, much like the first song, I'd enjoy it more if I could see them play.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5658 on: December 13, 2019, 06:26:44 AM »
Song is taken down and comments disabled.  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5659 on: December 13, 2019, 06:28:53 AM »
Song is taken down and comments disabled.  ???
strange, I'm able to listen to it via YT (and I'm actually doing that right now and I dislike it, which was to be expected) I'm not saying you're wrong though bosk, no no.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:38:42 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5660 on: December 13, 2019, 07:25:28 AM »
An OK song...

Sounds like C tier Odyssey-Underworld era SymX prog metal. Didn't do much for me, but i did like the first song they released from this new album.

So who knows? Might be good or not, but i will give the album a fair chance.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5661 on: December 13, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
Can I have those five minutes of my life back? :lol

Okay, the song wasn't that bad, but it was pretty generic and bland.  Reminds me of most of the songs from the first album in that regard.  Too bad, as this band has a lot of talent, but the songwriting just isn't there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5662 on: December 13, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #5663 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:00 AM »
So much talent but this band is sadly very boring. It seems that Mike is to much involved and you hear that. No progress at all. So sad!
Boring song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5664 on: December 13, 2019, 08:44:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8K02hqnBxE

This link worked for me

:tup  Thanks, man.

After initial listen:  Good song.  Darker than what is on the first album, and I like that.  So far, I'm liking what I am hearing from album #2, so will likely buy. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5665 on: December 13, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
It's so cool they used that low E-string chug; it's so unique and special.  I don't think I've heard that before (well, except for about four of the songs on the first album). 

Not impressed. 

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5666 on: December 13, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
First 2 songs are BETTER than anything on the debut album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5667 on: December 13, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »
It's so cool they used that low E-string chug; it's so unique and special.  I don't think I've heard that before (well, except for about four of the songs on the first album). 

Not impressed. 

I see the Portnoy haters are out early this morning.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #5668 on: December 13, 2019, 09:00:11 AM »
Not really liking this one. It's pretty bland for me. Nothing sticks out. I think the thing I dislike the most is the vocals.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5669 on: December 13, 2019, 09:00:50 AM »
I liked the first one better bit think it is a solid song.