Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467177 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #5075 on: August 20, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »
I thought the '05 version of JLMB rocked pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5076 on: August 20, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
where was that from? Not Score I'm sure
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5077 on: August 20, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »

From the millions of boots from that tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5078 on: August 20, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »

From the millions of boots from that tour.
ah ok, I neither own nor collect DT bootlegs, so I couldn't have known. Either way, I'm open enough to listen to the live album, seems that those who reviewed it already seem to love it a lot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:28:34 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5079 on: August 20, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »
I remember Just Let Me Breathe was awesome at Gigantour one that actually remember from My first DT show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline max_security

« Reply #5080 on: August 20, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
Tony MacAlpine is the opening act on this mini-tour , not coming anywhere close to me though. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5081 on: August 20, 2019, 07:46:04 PM »

You can tell the fanbase isn't very big when Mike is suggesting people travel to multiple cities to see them

Maybe he should change the setlist from city to city  :lol

Not a good Sign...

...of the Times

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5082 on: August 20, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
Not good indeed, welp I heard MP has 86 other bands

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5083 on: August 21, 2019, 05:30:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvp1N7m7_Q&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2bQ3v0Sa2nKhdxJ3ynmSF42GmuklVRqCPxc5-JR6NjLDeyupOi4XOD9AE

New trailer. Actually makes me a little more excited. I'm surprised they put a few moments of Jeff struggling in the trailer but also a few other moments where he sounds pretty good.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5084 on: August 21, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
Yea.....I don't like how Jeff sounds at this show. Maybe it's just a bad night, but his range seems to be about 3/4 what it needs to be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5085 on: August 22, 2019, 01:44:05 AM »
Yea.....I don't like how Jeff sounds at this show. Maybe it's just a bad night, but his range seems to be about 3/4 what it needs to be.

He's like JLB....

Nah. But, JLB's and JSS's voices can't be captured on audio.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5086 on: August 22, 2019, 06:31:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvp1N7m7_Q&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2bQ3v0Sa2nKhdxJ3ynmSF42GmuklVRqCPxc5-JR6NjLDeyupOi4XOD9AE

New trailer. Actually makes me a little more excited. I'm surprised they put a few moments of Jeff struggling in the trailer but also a few other moments where he sounds pretty good.

I like how MP talked about this coming from management who had done all the other bands similar events there and that all those other bands (like Devin Townsend and Opeth) they performed full albums and special sets because they had so much material, but with only one album they decided to do the cover route.  It makes sense even as odd as it is to have a live album from them so quick, but it was an opportunity they seized.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5087 on: August 22, 2019, 06:35:53 AM »
Yeah, while I agree that, on general terms, a double live album after a band is just born is a bit silly, I don't fault them in the least for not having passed up on the offer to play in a great venue with an orchestra.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5088 on: August 22, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
I ordered this...wanted the Blu Ray, which seemed to only come in the 5-disc set (3 CD, DVD, Blu Ray).  It was only $30-ish on Amazon, so it's not that bad. 

Regardless of how Jeff might sound or the mix, I didn't get to see them play live and at least want a live release from them since I still really enjoy the studio album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5089 on: August 22, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »
Keep in mind though that only the editions containing the 3 CDs feature the entire concert. The Bluray/DVDs do not, they omit 2 or 3 (not sure right now)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5090 on: August 22, 2019, 07:01:37 AM »
I ordered this...wanted the Blu Ray, which seemed to only come in the 5-disc set (3 CD, DVD, Blu Ray).  It was only $30-ish on Amazon, so it's not that bad. 

Regardless of how Jeff might sound or the mix, I didn't get to see them play live and at least want a live release from them since I still really enjoy the studio album.
On Burning Shed, you can buy only the BD👍
https://burningshed.com/sons-of-apollo_live-with-the-plovdiv-psychotic-symphony_blu-ray?filter_name=Sons%20of%20apollo&filter_sub_category=true
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5092 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I'm fine with the 5-disc set, since it will have the full audio show.  I had to order some stuff from Amazon anyways, so I just tacked this on as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5093 on: August 22, 2019, 08:00:07 AM »
I wish there was a CD/BR only combo, adding the DVD in there just seems overkill, who needs both?  Because of that, I may just get the blu-ray standalone.  I'd like the CDs, but I'm more into the live videos and really want the blu-ray, not the DVD.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5094 on: August 22, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
I wish there was a CD/BR only combo, adding the DVD in there just seems overkill, who needs both?  Because of that, I may just get the blu-ray standalone.  I'd like the CDs, but I'm more into the live videos and really want the blu-ray, not the DVD.
the Bluray is shortened by two pieces though (Comfy Numb and Dream On), so you'll lose about 15 minutes. Just so you know. (apparently there were licensing issues for the video of the concert, not the audio, which is why the CDs feature the entire show. Please don't ask me why,I don't know why, I'm just paraphrasing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5095 on: August 22, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
Yea, but I can always stream that if I want to hear it, I don't really find that something I need.  What I really want is the full video in full HD and surround sound, sucks they couldn't get those on video.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #5096 on: August 30, 2019, 12:38:20 AM »
Now I have listen through the live record a couple of times and pity to say it but was Soto sick or doesnt he simply  manage high parties.
Unfortunately, the Sons material is too bad and cover versions give me nothing sadly. Then I rather see Brit Floyd If i  absolutely must watch a cover PF show. 3/6

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5097 on: August 30, 2019, 05:59:34 AM »
Now I have listen through the live record a couple of times and pity to say it but was Soto sick or doesnt he simply  manage high parties.

JSS has probably been at a lot of those and he looks like a guy who knows how to manage them  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5098 on: August 30, 2019, 06:25:52 AM »
Looks like my amazon order is delayed. 3rd or 4th time they've done this with a new release. Not happy, especially as I see other are getting their sets.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #5099 on: August 30, 2019, 06:52:53 AM »

JSS has probably been at a lot of those and he looks like a guy who knows how to manage them  ;)

Ehh ::) : :metal

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5100 on: August 30, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
The full audio show is up on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kfvTwY9K2SI2cvwrpZ1Z3i1HFzCZcYXBo

I listened to the first two tracks so far, and it's good.  I agree with Cram in this thread - it's a live show.  It may not be perfect, so be it.  The band sounds fine.  The crowd is lower in the mix and barely audible at times, but that isn't uniquie to this release and I've heard it in other live releases.  It does seem a little embarrassing though when Jeff is asking the crowd to sing along and you hear very little in response.   :lol  Then at times, the crowd noise is very audible when the band isn't playing or at the end of a song...maybe they're just lost in the mix when the band is playing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5101 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
I'm guessing the crowd just wasn't mic'd, and when you hear the crowd roar at the end of a song, it's just canned crowd noise added in post production.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5102 on: August 30, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
I'm guessing the crowd just wasn't mic'd, and when you hear the crowd roar at the end of a song, it's just canned crowd noise added in post production.

Maybe.  There is definitely crowd noise throughout the recording.  I'm hearing the crowd during Billy's bass solo.  It could be that it's just pushed lower during some parts and higher during others.

I think this is the case.  In God of the Sun, Jeff asks the crowd to sing along, and the crowd's singing isn't very loud with all of the other instruments playing as well.   In Jeff's solo spot, the crowd noise is pumped up with him having the crowd sing along. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:07:49 AM by Grappler »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5103 on: August 30, 2019, 08:07:22 AM »
Could be.  It just seems odd that they wouldn't have brought up the crowd noise during those parts where you would expect a crowd response.  Seems like that would be something that would be easier to miss if someone was just skipping through to song breaks to add boosted crowd noise vs. just controlling the volume throughout.  But I'm only guessing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #5104 on: August 30, 2019, 08:11:07 AM »
Could have been a quiet crowd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5105 on: August 30, 2019, 08:12:03 AM »
Well, the crowd was a bit far off the stage..That's how the Plovid Amphitheater is.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #5106 on: August 30, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
One of my beefs with live releases is that crowd noise is often brought way up in the mix or artificially inserted from another source. Kind of like audience laughter in a TV show.

The worst offender of this is a band called Stuck Mojo. They did a live album called HVY1 and you can tell the crowd noise is fake because it loops or repeats in different parts of the live album. They used the same audio loop in Fozzy's debut album on the first track. The guitarist and drummer for Stuck Mojo are in Fozzy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5107 on: August 30, 2019, 10:42:28 AM »
I kind of hate that; it's why I'm such a fan of the Dead releases lately.  All full shows (or close enough) and merely a taped document of what went down that night.  Clams and all, heckles and all, dead silence and all.   You can mock the Dead for a lot of things - they're probably the paradigm of a "sold" image at this point, since they are so far from the hippie ideal of the late 60's Haight - but "musical authenticity" isn't one of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5108 on: August 30, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »
...you can tell the crowd noise is fake because it loops or repeats in different parts of the live album.

Yeah, I've heard that criticism of a lot of live albums, including a couple of DTs' releases.  I have never paid enough attention to the crowd noise to notice it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5109 on: August 30, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
...you can tell the crowd noise is fake because it loops or repeats in different parts of the live album.

Yeah, I've heard that criticism of a lot of live albums, including a couple of DTs' releases.  I have never paid enough attention to the crowd noise to notice it.

Were you focusing on the music and performance?

Nerd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com