Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467322 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4655 on: March 02, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »
...and because both share the same bitterness against DT...

Don't you ever get tired of your crusade? :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4656 on: March 02, 2019, 06:56:20 PM »
Lat week i heard Derek's interview on Dean Delray's podcast, Let There be Talk.

I think it's 2 or 3 years old, so, pre-SOA.

The interview was cool, they talked about a lot of things (this is a great podcast if you like metal/rock interviews), but when they talked about Derek's period in DT he seemed so...butt-hurt. Kept avoiding calling the guys by their names (the singer, the drummer, the guitarist etc), kept calling it "nerd-music"...it kinda soured the whole thing.

I like his playing, but he seems to really be up his own ass...

While I agree with the posts since about Sherinian, I found that interview and listened to the segment where he spoke about his time with Dream Theater, and came away with a different impression than you did.  He referred to JP and JLB by name both at least once, and the "nerd-music" thing was in the context of him talking about how prog fans love to go to concerts and listen for any mistake, which, let's face it, is very true.

I did find it interesting that he said that part of the reason he joined Dream Theater was because he knew it would raise his profile, so while he has clearly not gotten over getting fired by them, it is likely he would have quit the band once he had a chance at an equally-paying (or better) gig that was more his thing (since I think most would agree he is more of a hard rock guy than a prog guy).  In short, he is likely bitter that he was fired before he had a chance to quit.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4657 on: June 03, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »

SONS OF APOLLO ‘Live With The Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony’ coming in August!

SONS OF APOLLO--former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (ex-Guns N’ Roses), Billy Sheehan (The Winery Dogs, Mr. Big, David Lee Roth) and Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Journey, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force) — are pleased to announce the release of ‘Live With The Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony’ on the 30th August 2019.

‘Live With The Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony’ documents the band’s remarkable one-off performance at the Ancient Roman Theatre in Plovdiv, Bulgaria alongside a full orchestra & choir, playing tracks from their debut album ‘Psychotic Symphony’ as well as a selection of tracks by legendary bands.

Mike Portnoy comments: “I’ve released several dozen live albums through the years with about a dozen different bands, but I have to say that this live release from Sons Of Apollo may indeed be the most special one of them all!! Everything was aligned that evening: an absolutely beautiful Roman amphitheatre and a perfectly gorgeous summer evening, one set of SOA material and one set of specially chosen cover songs, and to top it all off being joined by a symphony orchestra and choir…it was a magical evening for everybody in attendance and now we can share it with the rest of the world immortalized in this incredible live package.

This package will serve as a nice souvenir to capture the band’s first year on tour and should tide over all of our fans while we complete work on our sophomore studio release that will coming in Jan 2020"

The package will be available in many formats including Blu-ray, DVD, CD, Vinyl and Digital...more info coming soon!

The track-listing is as follows:

CD 1:
1. God Of The Sun
2. Signs Of The Time
3. Divine Addiction
4. That Metal Show Theme
5. Just Let Me Breathe
6. Billy Sheehan Bass Solo
7. Lost In Oblivion
8. Jeff Scott Soto Solo Spot (The Prophet’s Song / Save Me)
9. Alive
10. The Pink Panther Theme
11. Opus Maximus

CD 2: (Live w the Plovdiv Psychotic Symphony)
1. Kashmir
2. Gates Of Babylon
3. Labyrinth
4. Dream On
5. Diary Of A Madman
6. Comfortably Numb
7. The Show Must Go On
8. Hell’s Kitchen
9. Derek Sherinian Keyboard Solo
10. Lines In The Sand

CD 3:
1. Bumblefoot Guitar Spot
2. And The Cradle Will Rock
3. Coming Home

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4658 on: June 03, 2019, 08:26:19 AM »
at lease the cover art it's really good!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4659 on: June 03, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »
I'll buy the blu-ray, looks pretty cool.  Sure a covers set isn't terribly interesting, but I'm sure it's an enjoyable watch/listen.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4660 on: June 03, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
I'm excited for the Blu-ray.  I didn't see them live, but I know that pretty much everyone raved about their performances.  This looks like it pretty much has their entire set from that tour, plus the additional cover songs. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4661 on: June 03, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
I'll buy it. Feels like they should have done this after a 2nd album, but what can you do?

As far as the covers go, I guess I might be in the minority here (from what I've seen on DTF) but I have little interest in covers that try to be note for note replications of the original. I like covers that put an interesting spin on things, a (at least somewhat) interesting interpretation.

Based on the bootlegs and all of Mike's previous covers, I'm guessing these are as close to note for note replications as possible, plus a bit of an orchestra adding. Not super exciting, but might be neat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4662 on: June 03, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »
If I remember correctly some previous discussions, those classic songs are basically a "bundle" that comes with the orchestra. You can't ask a selected orchestra to learn an obscure B-Side or a japanese bonus track, so what they're already acquainted with is those classic songs everyone know, they most likely didn't learn them on the specific purpouse to play them with Sons of Apollo.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4663 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »
If I remember correctly some previous discussions, those classic songs are basically a "bundle" that comes with the orchestra. You can't ask a selected orchestra to learn an obscure B-Side or a japanese bonus track, so what they're already acquainted with is those classic songs everyone know, they most likely didn't learn them on the specific purpouse to play them with Sons of Apollo.

So the orchestra already knew how to play Lines in the Sand?

I'm not so sure about this bundle, but I'm sure they picked some safer songs to make it easier for them, maybe they had a say in that too.  But even songs like Diary of a Madman, I'm not entirely sure the orchestra has these songs up their sleeve.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4664 on: June 03, 2019, 08:59:05 AM »
I pretty much buy all MP live bluray releases, even if I'm not that interested in the material because they are always so much fun to watch and so many times they actually change my mind on liking the source material.

Can't wait to get this.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4665 on: June 03, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
I will absolutely get this.  As I said in the MP thread, this is probably the MP project I am currently the most excited about.  (It isn't my favorite, but that's another set of criteria)  And the show I saw last tour was fantastic, so I'm loving the idea of getting to revisit it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4666 on: June 03, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
Will definitely check this one out, loved the regular live show and the list of covers is pretty fun.

So the orchestra already knew how to play Lines in the Sand?

I'm not so sure about this bundle, but I'm sure they picked some safer songs to make it easier for them, maybe they had a say in that too.  But even songs like Diary of a Madman, I'm not entirely sure the orchestra has these songs up their sleeve.

My guess is there's some kind of extra charge for each song the orchestra has to learn and then they maintain a catalogue of popular songs to pad out setlists. I feel like MP doesn't usually go for the big obvious covers when he's building a setlist, we even talked briefly at a Metal Allegiance show about how crazy it is that he's done two full Yellow Matter Custard setlists without doing Hey Jude or Blackbird or Yesterday (although the point at the time was more about the overall strength and depth of the Beatles material). If you gave MP free reign to pick a Zeppelin or Aerosmith or Floyd song to cover I doubt his first choice would be Kashmir or Dream On or Comfortably Numb. Could be that other guys in the band had some input into the setlist, but I'm guessing they shelled out for the orchestra to learn a couple songs in the second set and then took some tunes that they orchestra already knows.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4667 on: June 03, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
" “I’ve released several dozen live albums through the years with about a dozen different bands, but I have to say that this live release from Sons Of Apollo may indeed be the most special one of them all!!"

More than the 20th Dream Theater anniversary that used an orchestra to play an entire set of their original material, including a 24 minute song and a 43 minute song, 13 years prior to this show? Well far be it from me to call Mike a liar, but... okay! Those classic rock songs must mean a LOT to the man! :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4668 on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
" “I’ve released several dozen live albums through the years with about a dozen different bands, but I have to say that this live release from Sons Of Apollo may indeed be the most special one of them all!!"

More than the 20th Dream Theater anniversary that used an orchestra to play an entire set of their original material, including a 24 minute song and a 43 minute song, 13 years prior to this show? Well far be it from me to call Mike a liar, but... okay! Those classic rock songs must mean a LOT to the man! :lol

I had the same thought. Sick and tired of MPs overselling. Everything new he brings out the always the best he's ever done. This band has released 1 (one) mediocre hard rock album and what do they do next? They release an opulent live album with  an orchestra and a choir that consists of 60% covers and solo spots because there is not enough material. I don't get this at all.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4669 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:54 AM »
That's a less polite but more honest version of what I was thinking!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4670 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
Eh, all musicians oversell when they have a new release coming out. Doesn't bother me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4671 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:37 AM »
It is what it is, it's hard to expect an artist to say otherwise even if it's kind of ridiculous to hear people always say their latest is their greatest.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4672 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
There are classier ways to do this. Look at Haken. Those guys are the most humble musicians I know and they still let us know that they are proud of what they are about to release. Without saying stuff like "this is the ultimate epic juggernaut masterpiece".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4673 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
True.  But if the options are:  (A) humble musicians that put out crap music that makes me want to claw my eardrums out, or (B) obnoxious musicians that put out solid music that I actually like, then I'll take option B.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4674 on: June 03, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
Yeah, it's not a good idea to tell bosk to look at Haken. :lol I'll actually skip both of these options and go for humble musicians that make awesome music. Good thing with how many artists there are today, there's always such an option.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4675 on: June 03, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
Without saying stuff like "this is the ultimate epic juggernaut masterpiece".

HAHAHA. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4676 on: June 03, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »
I'll actually skip both of these options and go for humble musicians that make awesome music. Good thing with how many artists there are today, there's always such an option.

Exactly.

Like Haken.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4677 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »
I'll actually skip both of these options and go for humble musicians that make awesome music. Good thing with how many artists there are today, there's always such an option.

Exactly.

Like Haken.

Exactly like Haken, yep. I'm not disputing that, I love Haken. I travelled to Hamburg this February on my birthday just to see Haken and do a Meet and Greet with them (it went great, too).

But I also know that bosk doesn't like Haken at all, so that's not an option for him. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4678 on: June 03, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
As far as the covers go, I guess I might be in the minority here (from what I've seen on DTF) but I have little interest in covers that try to be note for note replications of the original. I like covers that put an interesting spin on things, a (at least somewhat) interesting interpretation.
I'm in full agreement. That's the one issue I have/had with DT's covers. I'd rather hear a DT-ized version of a song, rather than their replication of it. It's why I love VH's You Really Got Me, WASP's Easy Living, Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower and Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light - and the originals much less.

I will absolutely get this. <snip> this is probably the MP project I am currently the most excited about.
This just about sums it up for me - looking forward to picking up a copy! 
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4679 on: June 03, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »
I'm in full agreement. That's the one issue I have/had with DT's covers. I'd rather hear a DT-ized version of a song, rather than their replication of it. It's why I love VH's You Really Got Me, WASP's Easy Living, Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower and Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light - and the originals much less.

Yeah, as an example, take a look at when DT covered Xanadu and when Big Wreck covered Closer to the Heart when Rush did the big 40th Anniversary edition of A Farewell to Kings.  DT sounded more note-for-note on Xanadu while Big Wreck took Closer to the Heart and put their own twist to it that didn't sound like the original and it works for a band like Big Wreck.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4680 on: June 03, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
Looking forward to the live album. The tour was a lot of fun.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4681 on: June 03, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »

I had the same thought. Sick and tired of MPs overselling. Everything new he brings out the always the best he's ever done. This band has released 1 (one) mediocre hard rock album and what do they do next? They release an opulent live album with  an orchestra and a choir that consists of 60% covers and solo spots because there is not enough material. I don't get this at all.

This man tells it as it is :lol

Seriously, I still don't get why bands record and release covers as part of the "main" deal in their upcoming albums, live or studio. Releasing one or two covers might be ok as bonus material, but if half of your upcoming live album are covers because you just don't have enough songs of your own, I don't think it's the best time to make a live album in the first place.

I have zero interest in this live release, but I'm actually looking forward to their 2nd studio album, since I did like a few songs from the first one.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4682 on: June 03, 2019, 03:26:40 PM »
I believe they were invited to perform in Plovdiv with an orchestra and a choir, which for any band is an offer that shouldn't be refused, so they did their best to come up with two sets, which seems to be the rule at this particular festival.

And how can you not use such a brilliant opportunity to record something like this? I know because I saw Opeth in the exact same setting and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was bummed that they decided not to record it. SoA ceased the day and went for it. I'm not a fan of the band, I didn't like the debut at all, but I'm with them on opting for recording and releasing this live show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4683 on: June 03, 2019, 03:38:29 PM »
I believe they were invited to perform in Plovdiv with an orchestra and a choir, which for any band is an offer that shouldn't be refused, so they did their best to come up with two sets, which seems to be the rule at this particular festival.

And how can you not use such a brilliant opportunity to record something like this? I know because I saw Opeth in the exact same setting and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was bummed that they decided not to record it. SoA ceased the day and went for it. I'm not a fan of the band, I didn't like the debut at all, but I'm with them on opting for recording and releasing this live show.

This man tells it as it is.  Those that don't like it don't have to buy it. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4684 on: June 03, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »

CD 3:
1. Bumblefoot Guitar Spot
2. And The Cradle Will Rock
3. Coming Home

The most underwhelming CD in the history of music.

I mean, couldn't throw a few tunes from disc 2 on this just to round it out?

Anyway, I'll probably still buy it. Gut instinct was to get the artbook but do I really need that from a band I'm only sort of into?

Would like to get DVDs and CDs but not pay "special edition" prices.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4685 on: June 03, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
Yup, and another example is Devin Townsend doing the same a year earlier with the orchestra.  They did one set of his full album and the DVD (I couldn't find it on bluray which is the only dissapointing part) is really awesome.  Looks and sounds cool.  Would be an awesome show to see for sure and while I think it's odd for a band with one album to put out a big production live album, who really cares?  If you aren't into it, you weren't going to buy it anyway.  I am pretty excited for it personally.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4686 on: June 03, 2019, 03:53:36 PM »
Yeah but I mean Devin could sing the Chinese takeout menu and I'd buy three copies

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4687 on: June 03, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »
And SoA could sing a set consisting of their first album and some covers, and I'd buy one copy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4688 on: June 03, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »

Quiescat diem?  :lol :lol :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4689 on: June 03, 2019, 08:26:32 PM »
I'll check this out, not sure if I'll buy it or not, I'll probably wait for some promotional stuff to appear on youtube.