Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464352 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4620 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
He's average now?  Sounded fantastic the two times I saw him live last year. I don't want him to replace JLB or anything, but JSS is not average.

This.  He was excellent when I saw him too, but that's not to say I want him singing in Dream Theater.  It's very possible that two guys can BOTH be excellent.  ;)   

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4621 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
He's average now?  Sounded fantastic the two times I saw him live last year. I don't want him to replace JLB or anything, but JSS is not average.

This.  He was excellent when I saw him too, but that's not to say I want him singing in Dream Theater.  It's very possible that two guys can BOTH be excellent.  ;)

I felt that he was very restrained with the SoA material because live, Scott was a totally different singer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4622 on: February 07, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »

I felt that he was very restrained with the SoA material because live, Scott was a totally different singer.

Oh yea, one of my biggest criticisms of SOA was JSS sounded not only restrained on the album, but the "yeah!"s and just basically singing all the songs very similar, but live he was a different animal.  Besides being very active on stage, his vocals were just fantastic.  He's a good front man.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4623 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »

Yeah he was exceptional live!  Much more restrained on the record, but still good. Hopefully, he will be let loose to kill it on the next record.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4624 on: February 07, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
Yeah, can't understand the hype surrounding JSS. He once was a good singer but is now average imo. Singing in place of JLB? No way!

B.Lee

To me, he’s basically a poor man’s Russell Allen. The first couple listens I gave to the album, I couldn’t shake the felling that Russ would’ve done a much much better job than JSS. Too bad he got really into the AMOB thing... which was literally a tragedy.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4625 on: February 07, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »
Oh yea, one of my biggest criticisms of SOA was JSS sounded not only restrained on the album, but the "yeah!"s and just basically singing all the songs very similar, but live he was a different animal.  Besides being very active on stage, his vocals were just fantastic.  He's a good front man.

Agree. His album performance was very tame and 'safe' and actually a tad boring. Saw them live and He was incredible. His stage presence, his 'act'.....his sound....he was great!!! I hope they allow or let him cut loose on the next album a bit more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4626 on: February 07, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
Yeah, can't understand the hype surrounding JSS. He once was a good singer but is now average imo. Singing in place of JLB? No way!

B.Lee

To me, he’s basically a poor man’s Russell Allen. The first couple listens I gave to the album, I couldn’t shake the felling that Russ would’ve done a much much better job than JSS. Too bad he got really into the AMOB thing... which was literally a tragedy.

Whoa man. I feel the exact opposite. I've never really been able to get into Allen. JSS is much better in my opinion. Though I do agree he was a bit too restrained

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4627 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »

B.Lee

Whoa man. I feel the exact opposite. I've never really been able to get into Allen. JSS is much better in my opinion. Though I do agree he was a bit too restrained

Madman, I'm with you.   Admittedly, I was blown away by a Star One song with him singing, but other than that, for the life of me I do not understand the infatuation with Russell Allen.  No, he doesn't suck, but he's not all that and a bag of chips either.  Average at best in my humble opinion.  I don't think Jeff is Freddie Mercury either, but he's got moments; I just wish the album had more separation in tone and range; I know he didn't want to sing in that higher register, but in my opinion, that music screamed (see what I did there) for that, just to create some frequency separation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4628 on: February 08, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »
I also dont understand the Russel Allen love, not a bad singer but also not one I would praise as highly as many here do.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4629 on: February 08, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
I’m not saying Russell is the best vocalist ever or anything like that, I just think he’d be a better fit than JSS for this band, but who says I’m right? :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4630 on: February 08, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

B.Lee

Madman, I'm with you.   Admittedly, I was blown away by a Star One song with him singing, but other than that, for the life of me I do not understand the infatuation with Russell Allen.  No, he doesn't suck, but he's not all that and a bag of chips either.  Average at best in my humble opinion.  I don't think Jeff is Freddie Mercury either, but he's got moments; I just wish the album had more separation in tone and range; I know he didn't want to sing in that higher register, but in my opinion, that music screamed (see what I did there) for that, just to create some frequency separation.

This is one of the few times I disagree with you Stads. Russell is far better than average at best. His tone and range is fantastic not to mention he can bring it live unlike many singers in the genre. I don't like his raspy style of the last few SX records but their ballads really show case his talent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4631 on: February 08, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »

B.Lee

This is one of the few times I disagree with you Stads. Russell is far better than average at best. His tone and range is fantastic not to mention he can bring it live unlike many singers in the genre. I don't like his raspy style of the last few SX records but their ballads really show case his talent.

Well, if the Star One song is any indication, then you have a point.  But that's the one exception to what I find to be a rather generic sounding approach. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4632 on: February 08, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
Early Symphony X is where RA shines. Amob and the last 2-3 Symphony X albums don't do justice to Allen's singing performance.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4633 on: February 08, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
Early Symphony X is where RA shines. Amob and the last 2-3 Symphony X albums don't do justice to Allen's singing performance.

V is a really great showcase for him, as are some of the albums prior.

The latter Symp X stuff, it's easy to lose track of how good he is because he really does do the heavy raspy thing like 90% of the time, but that other 10% is really great, but easy to miss.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4634 on: February 08, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »
I fully agree with Adami (it has been a while...)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Art

« Reply #4635 on: February 09, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »

This.

But JSS is also great.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #4636 on: February 09, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
I’m not saying Russell is the best vocalist ever or anything like that, I just think he’d be a better fit than JSS for this band, but who says I’m right? :lol
Not sure I agree. Russell Allen to me is at his best in music like early Symlhony X.  In the later Symphony X albums and AMob I don’t enjoy him nearly as much whereas I think JSS is perfect for SoS.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4637 on: February 11, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Part of the Russell Allen love is that the guy nails it live.

Part of the JSS dislike is that if you've only heard him in SOA, then you get an extremely limited take on what he can do. I hope the songs on the new record allow him to cut loose a little more.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4638 on: February 19, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
This discussion was sleeping for a week, but anyway ... by chance today, I was listening to Joel Hoekstra's 2015 solo CD, Dying to Live - an excellent hard rock / AOR album - where, I was forgotten, Russell and Jeff alternate vocals through the album, with great performances. And those of Jeff better than the ones he did on Psychotic Symphony, no doubt. I really like Jeff, but by comparison, it's clear to me that Russel has a stronger, more expressive and more diverse voice these days. Probably it would have been a better choice for SoA IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4639 on: February 19, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Yeah, but I don't think Russel Allen would forsake his place in Symphony X in order to take on the SOA obligations.  JSS is the right man for the job!
Russel is a powerhouse singer, no doubt about it. I'm just hoping to hear something new from SX with him in it.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4640 on: February 19, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »
Not to go to far off topic, but if you haven't heard the Level 10 album that Russ did with Mat Sinner in 2014 I highly suggest checking it out. If I remember correctly, Angry Russ only pops up in 2 songs or so. Most of the rest is melodic Russ. Pretty heavy album too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02NNqNocpY0
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4641 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
Part of the Russell Allen love is that the guy nails it live.

Part of the JSS dislike is that if you've only heard him in SOA, then you get an extremely limited take on what he can do. I hope the songs on the new record allow him to cut loose a little more.

JSS in his solo album last year is miles away from his SoA work.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4642 on: February 20, 2019, 08:26:35 AM »
Not to go to far off topic, but if you haven't heard the Level 10 album that Russ did with Mat Sinner in 2014 I highly suggest checking it out. If I remember correctly, Angry Russ only pops up in 2 songs or so. Most of the rest is melodic Russ. Pretty heavy album too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02NNqNocpY0
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!   :tup

Offline JPX

« Reply #4643 on: February 22, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
I also dont understand the Russel Allen love, not a bad singer but also not one I would praise as highly as many here do.

You've heard him sing right? wtf

Tell me another vocalist alive that could pull off The Sacrifice.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4644 on: February 22, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »

You've heard him sing right? wtf

Tell me another vocalist alive that could pull off The Sacrifice.

I've heard a handful fo Symphony X stuff and the AMOB singles and wasn't into it.  After reading somethings here about how some of his SX stuff isn't as good maybe I listened to the wrong stuff and I think many will write off AMOB so it's possibly I haven't heard his goods such as The Sacrifice (never heard it). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4645 on: February 22, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
Look, preface it by "it's my taste and I don't judge anyone else for liking him", but when Mike announced the 'Mob, everyone said "You've got to hear this guy".   And we got stuff like "mutherf*****n' psychosane!" and "Take one to the FACE!".  Then I was told, you've got to hear his REAL singing, on Symphony X.  And I've gotten two songs in two roulettes from Symphony X and was not impressed.   Now, it's "but you have to hear the RIGHT Symphony X..."   Ugh. 

Though in all fairness, I heard the track he did for Star One, and it was excellent (and more importantly, didn't sound like anything I'd heard by him before).   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4646 on: February 23, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
Look, preface it by "it's my taste and I don't judge anyone else for liking him", but when Mike announced the 'Mob, everyone said "You've got to hear this guy".   And we got stuff like "mutherf*****n' psychosane!" and "Take one to the FACE!".  Then I was told, you've got to hear his REAL singing, on Symphony X.  And I've gotten two songs in two roulettes from Symphony X and was not impressed.   Now, it's "but you have to hear the RIGHT Symphony X..."   Ugh. 

Though in all fairness, I heard the track he did for Star One, and it was excellent (and more importantly, didn't sound like anything I'd heard by him before).   

I'm sure there's at least one song that Russell Allen sings that I like but I wouldn't be able to tell you what it is at the moment. It might be on Star One but I haven't listened to that in a very long time. Not really a Symphony X fan or a fan of Jeff Scott Soto's work.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #4647 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
Look, preface it by "it's my taste and I don't judge anyone else for liking him", but when Mike announced the 'Mob, everyone said "You've got to hear this guy".   And we got stuff like "mutherf*****n' psychosane!" and "Take one to the FACE!". 

I got this far into the post and was already laughing my head off! Seriously, the Mob was such a terrible let down.

Offline Art

« Reply #4648 on: February 25, 2019, 06:58:50 AM »
AMOB is completely crap, no doubt. Total waste of Russell/Portnoy's chops.  I'll stick with my classic Symphony X (everything up until V) and Underworld, Russell kills on these records.  :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4649 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
So I listened to this album again after two months of not listening to it. Hearing this after listening several times to D/T the past few days does not do Psychotic Symphony any favors.

Offline Art

« Reply #4650 on: March 01, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »
Lat week i heard Derek's interview on Dean Delray's podcast, Let There be Talk.

I think it's 2 or 3 years old, so, pre-SOA.

The interview was cool, they talked about a lot of things (this is a great podcast if you like metal/rock interviews), but when they talked about Derek's period in DT he seemed so...butt-hurt. Kept avoiding calling the guys by their names (the singer, the drummer, the guitarist etc), kept calling it "nerd-music"...it kinda soured the whole thing.

I like his playing, but he seems to really be up his own ass...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4651 on: March 02, 2019, 10:46:25 AM »
Lat week i heard Derek's interview on Dean Delray's podcast, Let There be Talk.

I think it's 2 or 3 years old, so, pre-SOA.

The interview was cool, they talked about a lot of things (this is a great podcast if you like metal/rock interviews), but when they talked about Derek's period in DT he seemed so...butt-hurt. Kept avoiding calling the guys by their names (the singer, the drummer, the guitarist etc), kept calling it "nerd-music"...it kinda soured the whole thing.

Easy to say now, but I had that impression when Dream Theater made him a full time member in 1995 although he did seem pretty cool when meeting him a few times briefly in person. Not sure I would have remained a fan if Jordan didn't get the gig.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4652 on: March 02, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »
The way that Derek refers to guys in bands he's played with (the singer, the drummer, etc) has always struck me as a bit odd.

I mean, I play in bands, and if I'm talking with someone about some band I used to play with, I'll often just say "the singer did this" or "the guitarist did that" because using their first names would be meaningless.  I'm just relating a quick anecdote about something, and "what" they are in this context is more important than "who" they are.

But if someone is asking about Dream Theater specifically, then saying "the singer" or "the guitarist" or whatever just seems weird.  The interviewer knows who he's talking about, the audience knows who he's talking about, so why avoid naming them if not as some kind of slight to them?

I suppose it could just be the way he talks, but I don't think I've ever run into it before.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4653 on: March 02, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »

Yeah...personally I think there's plenty of evidence out there that point to him being pretty much a D-Bag. I know that when I took my kiddos to see SOA.....I was super impressed by everyone BUT DS. He sat in his little keyboard world and you could visibly see how disinterested he was to A) Be there and B) be playing music. He went through the motions when playing whereas the other guys laid it out there and were fantastic to watch!  He just looked mad and like he was pouting the whole time.

Then I recall seeing a video a week or two later on Youtube of a gig they'd just done and in that video he looked the same exact way. Maybe he's just not a happy person? Maybe he's super happy but just has resting A-Hole face....whatever it is he certainly looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4654 on: March 02, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »
For years I respected Derek as the former keyboardist of DT. He was in one of my least favorite DT lineups, but I still enjoyed his playing and thought he was a class act. Everything changed when the SOA campaign started and he showed his true colors. I think he never got over being fired and those feelings were dormant for many years, but when he and MP got the chance to be in another band together, and because both share the same bitterness against DT, they just flourished.