Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467398 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3780 on: April 17, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted but I came across this today.  Jeff and Ron are fucking hilarious.  I was cracking up throughout. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZyJqxKcj0

There's also a Winery Dogs episode with Ritchie and Billy and Billy was pretty funny too. 

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #3781 on: April 19, 2018, 06:22:47 PM »
I will say....

Labyrinth kicks so much ass...especially live. That has to be my favorite song.

Bumblefoot and JSS shine on this song, makes me wonder...is BS the weakest of the group?
Still don't understand why BS has a double neck.

I will say though....Labryinth is what the rest of the album should've been.

The lower neck features just a regular scale, while the higher one is fretless. And by the way, I talked to Billy Sheehan after their concert in São Paulo and he told me Ron tunes the fretless neck as a 7 string guitar with only 6 strings (getting rid of the high E and adding a low B), so that's different too. That's the same reason why Billy uses a double neck bass, he tunes the lower neck in EADG and the higher one in BEAD (from low to high).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3782 on: April 19, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
I will say....

Bumblefoot and JSS shine on this song, makes me wonder...is BS the weakest of the group?

The lower neck features just a regular scale, while the higher one is fretless. And by the way, I talked to Billy Sheehan after their concert in São Paulo and he told me Ron tunes the fretless neck as a 7 string guitar with only 6 strings (getting rid of the high E and adding a low B), so that's different too. That's the same reason why Billy uses a double neck bass, he tunes the lower neck in EADG and the higher one in BEAD (from low to high).

Ron’s double neck guitar is very cool and serves a purpose. Billy’s double neck bass is just a gimmick, he could do just that way easily if he had a 5 string bass.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #3783 on: April 20, 2018, 05:13:51 AM »
I will say....

Ron’s double neck guitar is very cool and serves a purpose. Billy’s double neck bass is just a gimmick, he could do just that way easily if he had a 5 string bass.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind as well, but then he proceeded to explain that the strings are in the shape or an arch which, for him, is the ideal one when it's a 4-string bass. Whenever you add another string, that shape changes a little bit by becoming flatter (a 6-string bass has them all almost totally flat), so he prefers adding a whole neck instead of just adding another string. Absolutely not practical, but I guess he can get away with that kind of stuff (it's Billy Sheehan, after all!).

Offline DTA

« Reply #3784 on: April 20, 2018, 05:19:18 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted but I came across this today.  Jeff and Ron are fucking hilarious.  I was cracking up throughout. 

There's also a Winery Dogs episode with Ritchie and Billy and Billy was pretty funny too.

That was fun. Jeff and Ron are so damn likeable. I'm also surprised to see that much alcohol on the bus with MP involved, though I guess he has it under control by this point.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3785 on: April 21, 2018, 05:27:46 AM »
Saw them in Toronto last night, and haven't had this much fun in a concert for a loooong time!!! Jeff is a monster on stage, and walked around the crowd when they played And the Cradle Will Rock. The band was on fire, even though there were some issues with the P.A. I took some pictures with Billy, Mike and Bumblefoot after the show. Derek had family in the house and didn't hang out, and Jeff was resting after the show.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3786 on: April 21, 2018, 06:42:23 AM »
Sons of Apollo seems like the type of band that would put on a great show, regardless of what you might think of their album.  The album is something that they threw together in a week, by their own admission.  At this point, they've played it all many times and are comfortable with the material, and they're all seasoned professional musicians.  They can play their own stuff, or cover some other good songs, do it up, have some fun with it, and everyone in the place has a good time.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3787 on: April 21, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Their album does really feel like it was thrown together in a very short amount of time.. I did listen to it again with a fresh perspective, and it was a bit better. Signs of the Time is probably my favorite.

They could still have a bright future. This lineup has a lot of potential, and if they make a more focused effort with their sophomore album, they could be in a great position for the future.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: April 21, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
I'm not sure how much stock I put in the "future" and "potential" of a band where one of the members is 65 and everyone else is in their 50s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3789 on: April 21, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
I'm not sure how much stock I put in the "future" and "potential" of a band where one of the members is 65 and everyone else is in their 50s.

I am not, at all, a fan of this band, but BS seems to be the least involved or interested member thus far. I'd imagine he'd be the easiest and most likely to replace if necessary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #3790 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
I just realized the other day that Dug Pinnick would probably be a really good fit for this band if Sheehan ever stepped out. He could offer alot vocal wise, and he and Soto even have similar vocal tones. Plus his bass playing is equally out of this world.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3791 on: April 21, 2018, 05:28:42 PM »
I don't care if the album was recorded in 1 week or even one day.....I love it and would put it up against any of the post Portnoy DT albums with no issue.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3792 on: April 21, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »
I don't care if the album was recorded in 1 week or even one day.....I love it and would put it up against any of the post Portnoy DT albums with no issue.

Same here.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3793 on: April 21, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »

I am not, at all, a fan of this band, but BS seems to be the least involved or interested member thus far. I'd imagine he'd be the easiest and most likely to replace if necessary.

Agree. Of all the bands/projects Billy is currently on, he seems most excited about Mr. Big and TWD (if they're "still a thing").
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline max_security

« Reply #3794 on: April 22, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »

Agree. Of all the bands/projects Billy is currently on, he seems most excited about Mr. Big and TWD (if they're "still a thing").

A lot has to do with his sound as much of it gets lost behind keyboards or guitar players with wider sounds so a three piece band with thinner guitar tone is where he wants to be I would guess. He just moved from LA to Nashville too so I'm thinking he has enough going on to be just a dude in a band for a change.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3795 on: April 22, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »
I just realized the other day that Dug Pinnick would probably be a really good fit for this band if Sheehan ever stepped out. He could offer alot vocal wise, and he and Soto even have similar vocal tones. Plus his bass playing is equally out of this world.
I don’t know if you made this comment because of Billy’s age and maybe a lot of us don’t know that, but Dug will be 68 in September!  :omg: (and he’s still rocking very much IMO!)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3796 on: April 22, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »

And it would lose royally to all three records in each match-up.  :coolio

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3797 on: April 22, 2018, 08:41:13 PM »
I don’t know if you made this comment because of Billy’s age and maybe a lot of us don’t know that, but Dug will be 68 in September!  :omg: (and he’s still rocking very much IMO!)

No, no, in the name of all that is holy, NO.  Please, no.  His vocals ruined Lines In The Sand for me; Sons of Apollo is teetering on the edge as it is, to have those style vocals in there now would be the death knell for me and that band.   

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3798 on: April 23, 2018, 08:09:10 AM »
Whatever. Doug Pinnick's vocals are great. Very unique, and I loved what he did on Lines in the Sand.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3799 on: April 23, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »
Whatever. Doug Pinnick's vocals are great. Very unique, and I loved what he did on Lines in the Sand.

Exactly.  This is exactly why one should never take a Kiss fan seriously when it comes to opinions on what is and is not good music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3800 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
I went to the show last night in St. Louis. Took my two sons as my oldest REALLY wanted to see MP and the other wanted to see another concert. They had a blast and at one point they were both down right up on the stage just digging it......it was cool to see as a parent. My oldest's night was made when MP saw him throwing up the 'devil horns' during 'Sign of the Times' and he pointed his drum stick directly at him in acknowledgement.

I'm gonna offer a fair opinion on this show. It's no secret that DS and MP tainted my initial opinion of the release due to their juvenile behavior leading to the release. They were tacky and immature and it soured me big time on the album. So much so that I didn't give it a fair shake when it was first released. It wasn't until months later that I spun it again and found a couple of the songs enjoyable and took the album for what it was and not what DS and MP tried and lied like hell to convince everyone what it would be. That being said...

The stars of the show are JSS and Bumblefoot. JSS sounds pretty frickin' awesome live and he improved every song with his live performance. It resembles what was recorded for the album but it's so much more powerful and energetic. The dude ran the show and was engaged with the crowd....interacting....just a real solid 'front man'. I was really impressed with him and hope that 'if' they do another album they unleash him to sing like he did at this show and not water him down like they did on the album.

Bumblefoot was a blast to watch. He was all over the stage making sure everyone got an up close shot of him jamming....and the venue they played in St. Louis really allows you to get up close. I honestly had no idea that he was that talented of a player....but he really is. And he has a really good voice as well. He filled the night with good back ground vocals.

Billy on Bass amazes me that he's 68 and playing like he does. It's pretty incredible actually. To tour and keep that pace at his age. Has to be so draining for a 30 year old, much less someone nearing 70! He had a cool solo and all in all put on a great 'show' himself. Again, I can't believe the dude is that old and still performing like he does.

MP was MP. He's a showman and incredible drummer. I think these songs don't particularly highlight his abilities but he is crisp and on point and like the others I've mentioned thus far.....a good showman. He did take a couple holidays on the double bass parts in 'God of the Sun' and 'Sign of the Times' which annoys the hell out of me personally when he does that and he doesn't have to play the songs note for note but when you're expecting the double bass to power those parts and it's just the single kick drum it does change the song. But that's a nit pic.

DS. Easily the most forgettable member of the band and boring part of the show. I do not find his playing all that inspiring or inspired. If I had to sum his contribution up in one word it'd be 'boring'. All the other guys....including a 70 year old man.....were REALLY in to it and selling that experience and DS was what looked to me going through the motions. His 'sound' is not that alluring in the first place then couple that with his ho hum approach and like I said.....he's easy to forget being that his band mates all brought their game faces and he looked like he wasn't expecting to start.

Anyway....if you like this band I'd definitely say go see them. I am/was impartial to them and only went because my kiddos wanted to see MP play live. That being said.....JSS and Bumblefoot really impressed me and made me glad I went because they alone may have swung my opinion of the band in general and actually make me look forward to a second album from them....just to see what a touring cycle of bonding and getting to 'learn' each others abilities more and perhaps more time in the studio to craft and album could lead those guys to produce.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3801 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »

Yep, this.

And JSS's singing on Psychotic Symphony isn't that far from Doug Pinnick's singing imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3802 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »

Exactly.  This is exactly why one should never take a Kiss fan seriously when it comes to opinions on what is and is not good music.

I'd take Gene Simmons singing over that wounded cat wail that was the backing vocals on "Lines In The Sand".

(In all seriousness, it has nothing to do with any of this; as a general rule I like more traditional, legato type singing, like Sting, Freddie Mercury and Elton John.   I'm not a fan at all of that quasi, pseudo "soulful" melismatic singing.    Compare Glenn Hughes in Deep Purple (which I can't stand) and his singing on, say, Seventh Star by Sabbath or in Black Country Communion, which I love very much).   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3803 on: April 23, 2018, 08:46:51 AM »

Yep, this.

And JSS's singing on Psychotic Symphony isn't that far from Doug Pinnick's singing imo.

And the aspect of Sons that I've been most critical of?    JSS's singing.    I wish they went in a more "Freddie Mercury"/"Steve Perry" avenue than the monochromatic, generic sort of vocals that JSS delivered on the record.  And I know he could have done it, he's done it before.    I just think that the entire album is so same-y; all the instruments -  the guitars, the bass (the way Billy plays), the keys, the vocals - are all competing in the same frequency range and  it makes the record - for me - very unremarkable.   

Compare this to, say, The Who or Led Zeppelin circa 1972.   The Who:  you had Entwhistle playing a deep, rumble-y, but still melodic bass.  You have Daltrey up over the top with the higher register, trebly vocal.   You have Townsend in the middle with a more mid-range, heavily distorted guitar.   And the icing on the cake was Townsend's backing vocals and the chocolate jimmies that were the synthesizers they used to flavor the mix.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3804 on: April 23, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
Nice to see you had a good time gmiller, as well as your sons.  I'm planning on catching them May 18th.  Should be a fun show.  I've spun the album recently after a long time of not listening and it may have been slightly more enjoyable.  I still really like God of the Sun.  Great song. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3805 on: April 23, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
I like Pinnick. I don't like Soto. That's my contribution.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3806 on: April 23, 2018, 09:01:53 AM »
Nice to see you had a good time gmiller, as well as your sons.  I'm planning on catching them May 18th.  Should be a fun show.  I've spun the album recently after a long time of not listening and it may have been slightly more enjoyable.  I still really like God of the Sun.  Great song.

They came out and punched us in the fact with God of the Sun followed by Sign of the Times. Really good back to back songs that just set the pace. I was pleasantly surprised by the show but like I said, if not for the desire of my sons to go see MP I'd not have gone. Glad I did....it was a good show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cirone328

« Reply #3807 on: April 23, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
Just like the song says, "Never Enough".

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3808 on: April 25, 2018, 07:53:25 AM »
Wanna take a tour of their tourbus?

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3809 on: April 25, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
So luxurious.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3810 on: April 25, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
Ron continues to impress me  :lol

Also surprised they had so much booze, although they admit half the band doesn't drink

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3811 on: April 25, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »
Ron continues to impress me  :lol

Also surprised they had so much booze, although they admit half the band doesn't drink

Yeah. It's probably the crew members that do most of the drinking.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3812 on: April 25, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »
Wanna take a tour of their tourbus?

hahahaha. If you've seen one tour bus, you've seen em all. But the chemistry between those two is awesome. I may bring an onion to the show this week and leave it on stage.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3813 on: April 25, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »
That was pretty cool. Haha when they find the random Jack bottle "Whose is this ?".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3814 on: April 25, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
Dug is older than Billy is...
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi