Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464281 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3535 on: February 23, 2018, 06:17:25 AM »
Is Hellraiser Leipzig a club or a festival? I thought it was a club?
I will try to make the show in Leipzig since I am from Dresden, but currently live in Austria. I sure would love to see this band. I think they kill it live.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3536 on: February 23, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
So....

I was thinking about this yesterday....

I'd love to see Sons and Haken tour together. But if it ever happened, who would headline?  Haken is the bigger band, but would Mike and Dereks' egos allow that? lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3537 on: February 23, 2018, 10:03:02 AM »
Mike opening for any band that isn't Rush/Metallica/Maiden... lol. Good luck with that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3538 on: February 23, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
Mike opening for any band that isn't Rush/Metallica/Maiden... lol. Good luck with that.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that.  If he were still in DT, I agree that that would likely be the general rule.  But that is because DT has earned that status, and not because of Mike's ego.  Mike is a smart businessman.  I think he understands that SoA isn't a name yet (although he surely feels they will be eventually; time will tell whether that happens or not).  I think as long as he felt it was a good pairing that would reach the type of audience they are aiming for, he would have no problem opening.  I'm just speculating a bit, but from everything I know, I'm reasonably confident in that position.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3539 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:55 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily assume that.  If he were still in DT, I agree that that would likely be the general rule.  But that is because DT has earned that status, and not because of Mike's ego.  Mike is a smart businessman.  I think he understands that SoA isn't a name yet (although he surely feels they will be eventually; time will tell whether that happens or not).  I think as long as he felt it was a good pairing that would reach the type of audience they are aiming for, he would have no problem opening.  I'm just speculating a bit, but from everything I know, I'm reasonably confident in that position.

I agree, I was just poking fun. Didn't Adrenaline Mob open up for Creed or something?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3540 on: February 23, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »

I agree, DT co headlined with Queensryche in 2003. Therfor every other night DT opened for QR

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3541 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:07 AM »

I agree, DT co headlined with Queensryche in 2003. Therfor every other night DT opened for QR

Close.  DT closed basically every night east of the Mississippi and vice versa.  So, yeah, basically right, but it wasn't literally swapping "every other night."  They basically did the same thing the summer before the QR tour when they co-headlined with Satch and had King's X opening. 

But just to put that in context with Mike's comments about them probably not doing many other "opening" slots if they weren't for a small handful of bands (Maiden, Metallica, Rush), I believe that comment was made a few years AFTER the TOT and, if I'm not mistaken, Octavarium tours (I don't remember for certain whether the latter is true, but I think so), which would have been AFTER that comment and after they would have headlined the Budokan and, if my memory is correct on the timing, Radio City as well.  So I think he said that in the context of them basically having achieved a level of success that would have justified the comments.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3542 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
I'd love to see Sons and Haken tour together. But if it ever happened, who would headline?  Haken is the bigger band, but would Mike and Dereks' egos allow that? lol

Are they?  I think it's too early to judge, but playing 500 capactiy venues on SoA first run is what Haken has done on their tours of the US.  Now SoA are playing larger venues.  On the other side, Haken has more music and been around so they may be a more known band name, but not sure they are a bigger band.  Also, SoA Coming Home music video has over 1 million views on youtube, none of the Haken videos have 1M.   That's not a be all/end all measurement, but something.

Otherwise, I'd love to see them tour together and I think Haken would be opening, but hopefully given a solid set length.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3543 on: February 23, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
Haken bores me to tears.  But judging from the Shattered Fortress tour, they have a very good live sound and energy, so I wouldn't mind at all seeing them on a bill with SoA. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3544 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »

Close.  DT closed basically every night east of the Mississippi and vice versa.  So, yeah, basically right, but it wasn't literally swapping "every other night."  They basically did the same thing the summer before the QR tour when they co-headlined with Satch and had King's X opening. 

But just to put that in context with Mike's comments about them probably not doing many other "opening" slots if they weren't for a small handful of bands (Maiden, Metallica, Rush), I believe that comment was made a few years AFTER the TOT and, if I'm not mistaken, Octavarium tours (I don't remember for certain whether the latter is true, but I think so), which would have been AFTER that comment and after they would have headlined the Budokan and, if my memory is correct on the timing, Radio City as well.  So I think he said that in the context of them basically having achieved a level of success that would have justified the comments.

Oh, I did not realize that. I know DT opened when I saw them at Universal Studios. That show got me back into QR. Seeing Fates Warning open for both of them was great as well. :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3545 on: February 23, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
Haken bores me to tears.  But judging from the Shattered Fortress tour, they have a very good live sound and energy, so I wouldn't mind at all seeing them on a bill with SoA.

Exactly the same for me. I really don't connect with them, but I would absolutely enjoy seeing them live I think.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: February 23, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Just got my ticket for the NYC show!  W00-h00!  I love the PlayStation Theater.  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3547 on: February 23, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »
Just got my ticket for the NYC show!  W00-h00!  I love the PlayStation Theater.  :metal

:metal I plan on being there as well, my favorite venue in NYC. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3548 on: February 23, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »

Exactly the same for me. I really don't connect with them, but I would absolutely enjoy seeing them live I think.

Saw them for the first time last year. They were incredibly tight and very high energy. Really fun concert.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3549 on: February 23, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »
Haken's keyboard player is very charismatic and fun to watch on stage.  It made up for the two guitar players being virtual statues. :lol  But yeah, that Haken show was great! :hat

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3550 on: February 23, 2018, 09:24:52 PM »
Haken's keyboard player is very charismatic and fun to watch on stage.  It made up for the two guitar players being virtual statues. :lol  But yeah, that Haken show was great! :hat

I couldn´t really tell the guitar players were like that because they played in the tiniest stage in Toronto. But Diego is cool, and Ross Jennings, even though he was out of tune MANY TIMES (I think it´s the risk of singing in falsetto and sustaining notes for a long time), was the coolest frontman. I loved the green glasses he threw to the audience on 1985.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3551 on: February 24, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »

This was my thoughts exactly. I would think that Mike’s top priotity is getting people to see and hear his band and if that means opening for another band, I think he would have no problem with that.  He always said in DT that the only bands they would open for were the Maiden/Metallica/Rush, but DT was/is much bigger than the bands he’s in now.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3552 on: February 24, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
Haken may have a pretty big name right now but I doubt they're a bigger draw than SoA.  From the youtube vids I saw, Haken were playing smaller venues than SoA was.  The SoA show I was at was packed although it was a relatively small club, it wasn't tiny. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3553 on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
I'd be stunned if Sons of Apollo drew a larger crowd than Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3554 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
Well, even though they released a mediocre record, Sons of Apollo has more name recognition in the band than Haken, so they had a head start right away, unlike Haken, who has had to build themselves up from the ground.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3555 on: February 24, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
My gut feeling is that SoA would be a bigger draw (at least here in the US), but I could be wrong. I think it’s probably close though. If they were to tour together I don’t think it would be unreasonable for them to co-headline. Haken never really clicked with me, but seeing how well those guys nailed DT songs at TSF show was impressive.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3556 on: February 24, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
I'm not opining whether Haken deserves the headlining spot more more or less, just that SoA at this point is a bigger draw.  Obviously a lot of that is due to name recognition.  A year and a half ago Haken played Reggies in Chicago.  400 capacity and they probably had 300 there.  Last week SoA played The Forge in Joliet, which is a bit of a haul from Chicago, yet they packed the place and capacity was a lot more, maybe by a couple hundred. 

I would imagine if they did a tour they would "co-headline" with SoA closing every night.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3557 on: February 24, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
Haken is too good to be co-headlining with a band so inferior to them. :P

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3558 on: February 24, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
In
Your
Opinion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3559 on: February 24, 2018, 04:24:47 PM »
In
Your
Opinion
Obvi
Ous
Ly
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: February 24, 2018, 04:29:31 PM »
 :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3561 on: February 24, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
In
Your
Opinion
Obvi
Ous
Ly

Are
You seriousl-
-Y imp-

-Lying it's a
Matter of
Articulation & not
Objectivity?

:hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3562 on: February 24, 2018, 05:14:55 PM »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3563 on: February 24, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
Haken shouldn't tour with these guys. Derek, in his many (failed) attempts to look cool by bashing DT, was making fun of Jordan's use of iPad apps, music software, other gadgets, etc.

Guess who uses the same iPad apps and gadgets as Jordan? Diego Tejeida of Haken.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3564 on: February 25, 2018, 02:38:34 AM »
Do we really need to point out that when someone makes a post, he's posting his opinion and not someone else's?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3565 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:02 AM »
In case it wasn't already clear, my post wasn't serious. Look at the acronym
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3566 on: February 26, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »
Was listening to Eddie Trunk’s show on yhe way home from work and after he switched back to music after taking some calls and played Coming Home from SoA, then Time Machine from TWD, then As I Am. I like all three songs and I know they’re friends, but just thought it was amusing that he’d play three straight MP songs.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3567 on: February 26, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
^^ I mean it would make some sense if he had MP over as a guest and it would make sense to play stuff that MP was a part of.  If that was not the case, then I guess some good promotion for the upcoming SOA show in NYC?

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3568 on: February 26, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
^^ I mean it would make some sense if he had MP over as a guest and it would make sense to play stuff that MP was a part of.  If that was not the case, then I guess some good promotion for the upcoming SOA show in NYC?

It’s funny because after he played those songs I started to wonder if MP was a guest, but he wasn’t.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3569 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
Eddie Trunk is cringe incarnate. He's like that awkward kid that hung out with the cool crowd to try and get some credibility by osmosis. Can't stand the guy