Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467351 times)

Offline the keyboard wizard

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 05:45:53 AM »
To answer some questions that were asked in the previous thread:
the next song to be released is Lost in Oblivion...but it will be released on the 20th of October :D
Derek will use classic instruments especially his hammond organ. There's a song that was described as "Deep Purplesque" so you can imagine that it will be a B3 fest!
Stay tuned if you want a real description of the songs as, Your Majesty will publish the interview next week and we asked Derek and Mike to describe the album track by track :D
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »
Looking forwards to it, Keyboard Wiz.  Thanks for letting us know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
I'm sorta tired of seeing Billy in everything Mike does

I really don't understand this opinion - of actual bands that recorded original music, Winery Dogs is the only other MP band that Sheehan is a part of.

I get that he was in PSMS - which is just a live covers band - but still, even if you count that that's far from everything.

If you look at MP's albums of original music, Sheehan has only been on 2 Winery Dog albums. He wasn't in Flying Colours, Adrenaline Mob, Metal Allegiance, Neal Morse Band...

As someone else guessed correctly, I was more referring to how much Sheehan is with Portnoy recently. He's now in three bands with him in the last handful of years. Don't get me wrong, I love Billy Sheehan. Big fan of his starting with Mr. Big (which is the first time I heard him). But it's like he's MP's go-to bassist, and I wish he would have went elsewhere this time, that's all. I am sure his playing will be phenomenal as always.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 09:10:10 AM »
I for one am quite excited about this release. Have you noticed how MP avoided FII tracks in The Shattered Fortress shows? I'm sure he'll bring some of them back with SOA.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
Have you noticed how MP avoided FII tracks in The Shattered Fortress shows? I'm sure he'll bring some of them back with SOA.

I don't think SOA had anything to do with why they didn't play any FII tracks at the Shattered Fortress shows.  Mike only chose songs he wrote the lyrics for.  I think he knows there isn't a high demand for New Millenium, Just Let Me Breathe, or Burning My Soul.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
I for one am quite excited about this release. Have you noticed how MP avoided FII tracks in The Shattered Fortress shows? I'm sure he'll bring some of them back with SOA.
You'll get the answer next week ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »

Aside from the songs you know he was playing as part of the main feature you can say he avoided every album except Scenes and Awake. First SoA tour I would have to expect similar to the first Flying Colors or Transatlantic tour. Basically all their original material and a cover from each of their most well known bands.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »
Would not mind seeing this band have some fun with a Mr. Big tune.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
Would not mind seeing this band have some fun with a Mr. Big tune.

Addicted to that Rush!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
My guess is, after Portnoy's comments about Shattered Fortress being the last time he'd do DT, that Sons of Apollo will likely only do their own material, and covers perhaps from bands not associated with them. While that is a bummer to a degree, if that is indeed what happens, it makes sense to me. They are trying to forge a new identity entirely. So, it makes sense NOT to play stuff from their other bands.

I imagine Sons of Apollo would probably do their entire record in a headline set, and then maybe something from Deep Purple, or something along those lines.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
I could see that as well, maybe instead of each member doing a song from their past each one picks a song that was influential for them or something.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
Have you noticed how MP avoided FII tracks in The Shattered Fortress shows? I'm sure he'll bring some of them back with SOA.

I don't think SOA had anything to do with why they didn't play any FII tracks at the Shattered Fortress shows.  Mike only chose songs he wrote the lyrics for.  I think he knows there isn't a high demand for New Millenium, Just Let Me Breathe, or Burning My Soul.

I could see them playing those songs live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
My guess is, after Portnoy's comments about Shattered Fortress being the last time he'd do DT, that Sons of Apollo will likely only do their own material, and covers perhaps from bands not associated with them. While that is a bummer to a degree, if that is indeed what happens, it makes sense to me. They are trying to forge a new identity entirely. So, it makes sense NOT to play stuff from their other bands.

I imagine Sons of Apollo would probably do their entire record in a headline set, and then maybe something from Deep Purple, or something along those lines.

I took MP as meaning a headlining show of all DT tunes, not that he will never play DT tunes again. Unless I missed a quote.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
I could see that as well, maybe instead of each member doing a song from their past each one picks a song that was influential for them or something.

That would be awesome. Hopefully it won't be the prog standards, but some more fun songs. I like when SoA were covering VH and stuff at their first show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
Any time I see multiple necks/unnecessary things it just brings me back to the Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry video with the keyboardist standing behind 6 keyboards in the grass not even plugged into anything. It's silly, but if that's Billy's thing to have two necks, his call.  :lol

Or every picture of Rick Wakeman from 1974 through 1986.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Any time I see multiple necks/unnecessary things it just brings me back to the Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry video with the keyboardist standing behind 6 keyboards in the grass not even plugged into anything. It's silly, but if that's Billy's thing to have two necks, his call.  :lol

Or every picture of Rick Wakeman from 1974 through 1986.  :)

Me not being big on Rick's bands - here's ample time to let everyone be aghast - I had to go with a somewhat more obscure reference, but yes, that is spot on  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
JSS still has a damn good range for his age.....when he decides to show it.

The man can still belt out a pretty good version of Ill see the light tonight.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
A reminder:  This thread is for discussion of SoA.  That may include discussion of what Mike, Derek, and others are saying about the project and how they are promoting it, including respectful critique, if applicable and if you feel the need.  However, forum rules still apply in full force.  As stated in the original post in the thread:

2. You can constructively critique anything you want, but outright bashing or personal attacks on Portnoy or Sherinian (or the other members) will not be tolerated.

A lot of what was posted in the last couple of pages crossed the line, and what arguably didn't came close enough.  Those posts have been deleted.  Posts that come across as mocking the band or its members reflect poorly on the forum and will not be allowed.  This is a general warning.  Those that persist will be banned without further warning.  Keep it respectful.  If you can't, keep your thoughts to yourself.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
Even after everything, I am still looking forward to this release.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »

Not really looking forward to it at this point in time but will give it a spin on Spotify and if I like what I hear I will buy it despite all the hoopla.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »

Not really looking forward to it at this point in time but will give it a spin on Spotify and if I like what I hear I will buy it despite all the hoopla.

I am a huge fan of Derek and Mike musically, and Bumblefoot is pretty cool. I'm not going to go out of my way to buy it, but if I can listen to it on Google Music, I'll do so.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »

I never buy music anymore, but yeah, I'll listen on Spotify when the time comes, and go see the show if I like the album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »

I never buy music anymore, but yeah, I'll listen on Spotify when the time comes, and go see the show if I like the album.

Seems like the only physical albums I buy now are Dream Theater and JLB solo albums. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD that wasn't those. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
Seems like the only physical albums I buy now are Dream Theater and JLB solo albums. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD that wasn't those.

Dream Theater and Neal Morse. Only physical copies I still buy. Everything else is obtained through my $9.99 monthly Apple subscription. On occasion there are artists that haven't agreed to whatever terms are in place and aren't on there so I can't find them to hear them....but there are SO many good bands that are on there it really doesn't break my heart when those occasions. arise.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Not to go down this rabbit hole, but I still buy CDs of my favorite bands. Pink Floyd (David Gilmour), Mastodon, Pearl Jam, AiC, Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman, BtBaM, Insomnium, and a few others all get physical purchases from me.

Sadly, SoA will not.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
Any CD that I feel will get repeat listens will get bought.... right now I do not think I will listen to SoA more than once or twice.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »
Saw an interesting comment from someone on Blabbermouth under a story about the Galactic Cowboys. They said Cowboys / SOA 2018 tour. Never occurred to me, but I can absolutely see MP taking these guys back out with him. Could be a double headline since SOA only has one album of material.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2017, 03:33:20 PM »
Saw an interesting comment from someone on Blabbermouth under a story about the Galactic Cowboys. They said Cowboys / SOA 2018 tour. Never occurred to me, but I can absolutely see MP taking these guys back out with him. Could be a double headline since SOA only has one album of material.

For better or worse, MP has never been shy about playing covers. Just look at the introductory concert of Sons of Anarchy. In between calls of history being made were a long string of Van Halen and other modern relevant covers. I could see him calling for a headline gig for the new kings of prog, peppered with tons of cover tunes.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »

Just look at the introductory concert of Sons of Anarchy.

I still make this mistake too ;)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
I think the last CD I bought was The Astonishing. I usually just buy music through Amazon music that way it winds up right on my phone where I listen to it anyhow.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
I watched DS and MP talking about Signs of the Time (the only song I've heard and the only song I will hear) on Youtube, and it struck me that the genuinely seem passionate proud of the music, which I give them credit for.

Also I realized that they said JSS sounds likes "Kansas with balls", but I actually prefer the original Kansas without balls, and that Bumblefoot sounds like "Allan Holdsworth on steroids", but I actually like the original Allan Holdsworth without performance enhancement better.

One of my main issues with the song is the main riff itself - it's just not strong enough to build a song around. The kind of riff James Hetfield wouldn't even consider worthy of being used under a guitar solo in a B-side.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »

Just look at the introductory concert of Sons of Anarchy.

I still make this mistake too ;)

Lol, I had to read your comment and my quote twice to realize what was even wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
Also I realized that they said JSS sounds likes "Kansas with balls", but I actually prefer the original Kansas without balls, and that Bumblefoot sounds like "Allan Holdsworth on steroids", but I actually like the original Allan Holdsworth without performance enhancement better.

And that's okay. You can go and listen to Kansas. Or Allan Holdsworth. Some people wouldn't listen to either, but may enjoy their apparent influence on Sons of Apollo's music.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 04:57:01 PM »
I watched DS and MP talking about Signs of the Time (the only song I've heard and the only song I will hear) on Youtube, and it struck me that the genuinely seem passionate proud of the music, which I give them credit for.

One of my main issues with the song is the main riff itself - it's just not strong enough to build a song around. The kind of riff James Hetfield wouldn't even consider worthy of being used under a guitar solo in a B-side.

Personally I like my Yes on HGH and Pink Floyd on Amphetamines

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 05:07:53 PM »
Not to pile on, but the "... with balls" remark just kinda rubs me the wrong way, which is something I haven't been able to put my finger on before. They're marketing this as a super macho manly prog metal band. Kansas with balls! No anus puckering screams! We have metal swagger! It just strikes me all as lame and hell, and not even true. Their bassist is 64 years old, and has never been considered a metal artist. They're rocking double keyboards, double necked guitars, and a double necked bass with 4 strings on both. They're so overly worried about image they can't decide if they want to be the "more is more" prog wankfest band (which is fine), or the tough guy metal band that is taking cues from Anselmo. It's the same issue Adrenaline Mob fell into. Russ made his name singing about prophets and sages. MP didn't start getting full sleeve tats and dying his goatee (don't get me started) well into his 40s. Singing about knocking about wannabes (in AMob's case), and buying into a machismo version of progressive giants (SoA) is such a misguided poor attempt at credibility. It's like they're trying way too hard to maintain a trumped up and false image when it's all transparent and belies the actual music they're putting out. Over the top machismo from musicians who are trying to push their 'virtuosity' in a genre such as this just screams of ... well... I don't need to finish that sentence. That's probably my biggest turn off of this band, other than the actual songs.