Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467240 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3255 on: February 07, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
Yea, took me a minute to realize it was just three separate, unrelated quotes.

SHAME ON YOU BILL!

.........I can see where that was unclear. That wasn't a real post.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3256 on: February 07, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »
Something from FII makes sense for them to play, but I feel like LITS is a bit too "important" to play as a cover if that makes any sense. It would easily become the centerpiece of their set since it's vastly superior to their original songs and more well-known, and would only serve to remind everyone just how inferior the songwriting is on Psychotic Symphony. Something like Hell's Kitchen, Burning My Soul, or Just Let me Breathe would be much better choices IMO if they absolutely have to play DT material. I would just choose other covers that are relevant to the genre/style of their music.

"Vastly superior" is an opinion - taste - and means nothing.  I think that song is one of the five worst DT songs in the catalogue, so there's that.    If I we're going to criticize LITS as a specific choice, it's not because it shames everything else in the set, but because it's a massive let down.  I just watched an hour and 15 of this cool new band, and we end on LITS?  That's like having a steak dinner and finishing with kale for dessert.  But I don't think the choice of ANY song from FII de-legitimizes the band any more or less than it already has been.

I like Kale. :)

and Santa Clause...

and the Wizard of Oz

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3257 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »
I like Kale, too.  But if you give it to me as a dessert, we're probably going to be stepping outside to settle our differences.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3258 on: February 07, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
Until Raw Dog came out Just Let Me Breathe was always my least favorite DT song, so it's an understatement for me to say that any set that gets rid of Lines in the Sand and adds it has been majorly downgraded.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3259 on: February 07, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
That quote, wherever it came from was in reference to the difference between the 2 Winery Dogs tours. They padded the first tour with covers since it was 1 album. He made a comment that he wanted the second Winery Dogs tour to be only their songs to show it is a real band.

That was not clear at all.  In fact, it clearly seemed that either MP was confused about what band he was talking about, or that somehow Sons of Apollo would be a real band if they could play an entire show of Winery Dogs songs.

Because it is an MP quote, people are trying to find something to rip on him for even if what they find isn't actually there.

Or maybe because it's presented in a way to suggest that something is there.

Yeah...the way I read it was that Bill1971 was quoting an article about:  "MIKE PORTNOY On 'Prioritizing' SONS OF APOLLO: 'This Isn't Just Some Sort Of Recording Project; This Is A Real Band'"  As presented, it made it sound like he was saying SOA was a "real band" because they had the ability to play a set of exclusively Winery Dogs material (or, more generally, the ability to play songs done by the members' prior bands).  Apparently the point was that MP refers to all of his projects as "real bands" only to keep moving on to something different and only occasionally going back for more.  It's a little like a guy who refers to each woman he dates as his "girlfriend" but is really just a serial dater.

I like Kale, too.  But if you give it to me as a dessert, we're probably going to be stepping outside to settle our differences.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3260 on: February 07, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »
Just Let Me Breathe is a cool addition and I really like that song. And it's more in the vein of their other material, only better.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3261 on: February 07, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
I want to hear a metal version of The Pink Panther theme.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3262 on: February 07, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »
This is honestly what I'm most curious about from the set :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3263 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »

It's more of a Bumblefoot solo spot, he's done it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePt2KhXdhM8
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3264 on: February 07, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »

Ok, I will be outside anyhow when Son's of Apollo are playing in my kitchen.

To touch back to my post about MP saying Real band three different times. I think I am being a bit unfair. The Winery Dogs he would have continued but Ritchie bailed. Amob was not making much money and MP bailed, can't blame him for that. His intention I am sure was to make it his commitment. The jury is still out on Sons of Apollo.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3265 on: February 07, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »

It's more of a Bumblefoot solo spot, he's done it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePt2KhXdhM8

That was glorious!  Pretty much what I expected it would be, and everything I'd hoped it would be.

Mancini would've been proud.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3266 on: February 07, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »

Ok, I will be outside anyhow when Son's of Apollo are playing in my kitchen.

:lol

To touch back to my post about MP saying Real band three different times. I think I am being a bit unfair. The Winery Dogs he would have continued but Ritchie bailed. Amob was not making much money and MP bailed, can't blame him for that. His intention I am sure was to make it his commitment. The jury is still out on Sons of Apollo.

Yeah, I agree--I don't think either of those examples show any sort of chronic lack of commitment on Portnoy's part. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3267 on: February 07, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
I think it's interesting, and a little bit sad, that Mike uses the term "real band" as often as he does.  For so long, Dream Theater was his main gig, and everything else was just a side project.  One could argue that Transatlantic is a "real band" (as opposed to a group of guys who get together sometimes to make an album and tour), but things like AMob and Winery Dogs show how hard he's trying to get another main gig, a "real band" going.  He wants to be in a "real band" and seems to be trying to convince himself as much as everyone else that SoA is a "real band".

Honestly, I hope that Sons of Apollo manages to stay together long enough to make a second album.  Not only would it be hopefully more interesting than the first album, but I really do feel kinda sorry for Mike.  He wants so much to be in a "real band".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: February 07, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
I do feel bad in the regards that I think Winery Dogs has/had real potential to be that band.  They had some good success for a new band and while only my opinion, the music was fantastic.  But part of the problem of making bands out of members from other bands, is availability.  MP's best shot at a "real band" is with musicians who will commit to the band as thier full time job.  I feel bad Ritchie wanted to do something else leaving a hole in MP's schedule, but he had to know that was likely when forming such a band.  Same with SOA.  What happens when Mr Big wants to tour?  What about the holidays and TSO wants to tour? 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3269 on: February 07, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3270 on: February 07, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »

Hi, Mike Portnoy here, and boy do I have a product for you! Are you tired of your old music? Sick of playing the same old Flying Colors album? Not getting enough of me in your life? Well, put those fears to rest! Introducing "Sons of Apollo," the latest and greatest from me, Mike Portnoy! No need to switch to a different band - just throw on Psychotic Symphony, and enjoy the greatest music ever known! Who listens to Winery Dogs anymore? That's so 2013!  And the best part? Only $12.99! Order now and we'll throw in the Socks of Apollo for only another $4.99! Call now! 1-800-PROG GOD!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: February 07, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »

Hi, Mike Portnoy here, and boy do I have a product for you! Are you tired of your old music? Sick of playing the same old Flying Colors album? Not getting enough of me in your life? Well, put those fears to rest! Introducing "Sons of Apollo," the latest and greatest from me, Mike Portnoy! No need to switch to a different band - just throw on Psychotic Symphony, and enjoy the greatest music ever known! Who listens to Winery Dogs anymore? That's so 2013!  And the best part? Only $12.99! Order now and we'll throw in the Socks of Apollo for only another $4.99! Call now! 1-800-PROG GOD!

Shut up and take my money

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3272 on: February 07, 2018, 01:24:02 PM »

Panzerballett already did it:

https://open.spotify.com/track/5exT3yjWNsYN5HaWxCkuN4

Any news on videos from the performances?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: February 07, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
The Winery Dogs he would have continued but Ritchie bailed.

On the day SoA was announced (and would still today), I would have bet the farm that TWD wouldn't release another album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3274 on: February 07, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »
Until Raw Dog came out Just Let Me Breathe was always my least favorite DT song, so it's an understatement for me to say that any set that gets rid of Lines in the Sand and adds it has been majorly downgraded.

What in the name of fuck does this mean?

The God of Language is throwing me some serious challenges here

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3275 on: February 07, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
Not a gigantic fan of "Just Let Me Breathe." It is probably my least favorite tune on FII. But I sincerely hope they work more FII in as time goes on. I don't need or really want to hear them do A Change of Seasons. But as a big fan of FII, which DT all but generally ignores now, it'd be nice to see them do some material from it.

No dates out west for SOA yet. But if they are near me, looking forward to checking them out. It'll be a fun gig.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3276 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »
Not a gigantic fan of "Just Let Me Breathe." It is probably my least favorite tune on FII. But I sincerely hope they work more FII in as time goes on. I don't need or really want to hear them do A Change of Seasons. But as a big fan of FII, which DT all but generally ignores now, it'd be nice to see them do some material from it.

No dates out west for SOA yet. But if they are near me, looking forward to checking them out. It'll be a fun gig.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Raise The Knife either.

That's all I have for now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3277 on: February 08, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »

When I saw Guns and Roses in 2010 in Philly (at a small club) Ron was noticeably absent from the stage for about half the set (I understand he may have been having some physical issues) but he did take his solo spot.  It was (at least in part, as memory serves) the "Pink Panther Theme" and it was (again, memory) pretty cool.  Best of the solo spots, I'll say that. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3278 on: February 08, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
I was going to pass on this round of dates (the nearest one to me is about 4 hours away; I know, "real fan", I got it) in anticipation of a date closer (and at a favorite venue that Mike plays a lot) but more and more I feel like the "massive world tour" is diminishing in scope as we speak. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3279 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
I'll be in Orlando next week and just bought tickets for the show. We'll see how it goes. But this would be my first time seeing Derek play live so I'm stoked for that. He is my favorite keyboard player.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3280 on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
As the date gets closer and closer, I am getting more bummed about missing next week's show.  Gave my ticket to another DTF member so someone will enjoy it in my absence, but something about seeing these musicians in a small venue is really intriguing even if the album wasn't really that great to me.  And also, yea, I don't really know about the future of this band, but there's something unique about seeing the first run of shows.  Oh well, I can't just say no to work.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3281 on: February 08, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »
I'd like to seem them if they were only closer to Charlotte, or if that date feel on a weekend .

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3282 on: February 09, 2018, 08:31:26 AM »
I'd like to seem them if they were only closer to Charlotte, or if that date feel on a weekend .

I'd like to see them if they were closer to where I lived, or if it was a Friday or Saturday, or nothing good was on TV, or if liked the album.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3283 on: February 09, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
For a band who says they are dedicating all of 2018 to touring they sure haven't announced many shows so for and its February.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3284 on: February 09, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
For a band who says they are dedicating all of 2018 to touring they sure haven't announced many shows so for and its February.

They are hitting the European festival circle in the Summer. I think they will hit North America in the fall again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3285 on: February 09, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
It will have to be early Fall, because I think TSO starts touring in late Fall.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: February 09, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
But SoA is a REAL BAND, why would one of them go off and tour with another group??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3287 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
But SoA is a REAL BAND, why would one of them go off and tour with another group??

Especially for that never amount to anything band TSO

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3288 on: February 09, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »

Yeah, wasn't 2018 set of to be a full year of touring for SOA.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3289 on: February 09, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »

They are hitting the European festival circle in the Summer. I think they will hit North America in the fall again.

I don't know when the Euro festival circuit starts, but it's hard to believe they don't have at least a couple months between February 18 and whenever it starts.  Unless I missed something, they've got zero shows lined up west of the Mississippi.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:27:04 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung