Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467084 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
but it's a really weak move to so heavily slam a 7/10 review that was quite detailed in its analysis.

This. Not only does the review compliment them more than it calls them out for the moments of 'cheese' and 'been done' moments....it's very detailed and any intellectually honest reader can gleen from reading it that it was done in a fair, pragmatic way.

At this point the only reason I will ever purchase another musical output from MP or see him play live again is Neal Morse. So utterly sick of and disappointed by MP with this last Facebook whine fest being the straw that broke the camels back for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »
He finally does a project that actually interests me, and you know what? I'm not interested.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
Back to a portion of Noxon’s review that caught my eye - when he basically discussed a lot of great playing on the record, but he felt like there was a lack of that nailed on songwriter guy in the band. That’s an interesting observation from the perspective of listening to the entire record. Those were my thoughts after listening to the two singles, so it’s a bit disappointing to hear that carried through to the rest of the album, but not totally surprising when I think about it. All the guys in this band are great talents but have never been known as great songwriters.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:07:00 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
Hey, what do you know, another glowing review:  https://heavymag.com.au/sons-apollo-psychotic-symphony/

This one seems a tad more serious than the other two, but still - is there anyone "professional" reviewing this album?

"Initially, you’re not sure what way the album is going to go down the route of as it has an oriental feel at the start of track one followed by some guitar play from Bumblefoot."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
some guitar play from Bumblefoot."

Bumblefoot plays guitar? Gee I thought he was just there for his looks.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
Vented on that Facebook post, Derek responded, I felt bad and backtracked  :lol

But now he told me to get over it and I’m confused
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »

I read the new comments on the post and I love Sons of Apollo's approach to album promotion!! It's just so classy.

MP style: All the reviews are unanimously positive except the ones the aren't, and those are written by people with puckered anuses.

DS style: All the rude things I say are "Del Fuvian bravado" and you know they're true! And don't dare call me out you loser virgin! Don't you have a girlfriend?

JSS style: Reviews suck!! (except the ones on Koreaguitar)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »

"Focus on important things!"... said the guy who tweets daily about not using ipad apps  :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
I'm a big fan of a few of the guys in the band but I'm over it before I even hear it.

Banning myself from this thread  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »

Yeah this has nothing to do with 'oh that's just Derek's sense of humour!' anymore. He's being a dick. It's one thing to be a dick if you're also funny or witty or whatever but he's not. There's nothing clever or amusing about how he's been portraying himself lately, he's just being a prick for the sake of it.

Edit: I'm all about being a dick for the sake of it, but I'm also not a professional musician
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:07:29 PM by ganpondorodf »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »
Revisiting my earlier post, but I for one kind of like the form of "basic post grunge" that Sons of Apollo seem to represent. It's not my favorite genre, but I grew up listening to grunge bands and later stuff like Alter Bridge. I think it's a genre that can do decent music, when done well.

That said... out of the songs available to the public so far anyway... for that kind of straight-forward rock music, JSS and Bumblefoot pull it off. Sheehan is mostly on point, not distracting, but also not stealing the show.

And, that brings me to the point I can't help but make now... the worst things, by far, are the "Del Fuvia Brothers of Prog". Derek's 15 year old keyboard patches just sound so out of date, and inexplicable when, as a friend mentioned, there are a ton of vintage keyboard sounds that don't sound dated. And Mike's unremarkable playing is only highlighted by his unremarkable attitude.

So, can't believe I'm about to voice this heresy, but dammit I'm gonna say it. I might be more excited about this project if Derek and Mike bowed out.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
I admit I trolled a little on that Facebook post. I said I was looking forward to SoA playing the Royal in Glasgow (where DT played last time they were in Scotland, close to 2000 capacity), and Derek took the bait.

Oh me oh my...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
Revisiting my earlier post, but I for one kind of like the form of "basic post grunge" that Sons of Apollo seem to represent. It's not my favorite genre, but I grew up listening to grunge bands and later stuff like Alter Bridge. I think it's a genre that can do decent music, when done well.

I've been a follower of post-grunge music for basically my whole music listening life.  When I think of early post-grunge, the obvious bands would be Creed, Nickelback, Foo Fighters.  Then you got bands like Three Days Grace and Shinedown (when they were good, not like now though where they are not as great), Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin, Skillet and Alter Bridge.  I do think it is a genre that can do great music when done well (four of the five of my favorite albums in 2016 came from what qualifies as post-grunge bands.  The other one was from DT, of course) and it is a genre where I have heard some pretty bad stuff (Shinedown, Skillet, and Five Finger Death Punch's latest album was lacking a lot).

I can honestly say from what I heard from Sons of Apollo is that they aren't a post-grunge band which is all right.  They are more like something along the veins of classic rock sounds with a hint of prog metal, I guess.  I don't know.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
If you guys don't quit this bullshit talk of puckered anuses, excuse me... ani.... anytime someone Googles "Puckered Anus" this site is going to come up as a search result. "IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
If a Google image search of 'puckered anus' returns shots of Derek's face I'd count it as a win

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
Quote from Mike's FB:
Mike Portnoy: Hmmm...Not my favorite review...seems like some of the DelFuvian Bravado may have puckered the anus of the "Dream Theater Club"...
Oh well...everything can't be Astonishing!!

:facepalm:

:facepalm: for sure.

Anyway, good review Noxon. I feel like it was the first actual review of the album, the strengths and weaknesses and giving a good description of the songs. Thanks for posting.

Ok. FIRST, I am completely in "camp MP". That being said, how can a review that gives a pretty damn good detailed description of an album (with pros & cons) that receives a 7/10 be considered a bad "bias" review? I'm sorry Mike, but "THIS TIME" you're DEAD WRONG! Aside from the 2 officially released songs, I've only heard of one other "GOTS" (online) and while I LOVED the song, the review "completely NAILED it" on that one (the good and the questionable). I understand MP's derision of this site because there are SO MANY members that just have nothing better to do than to ignorantly rip him WRONGLY, but I believe he completely F'D UP on this one, by stating his quote. SO UNNECESSARY! I pay no mind to DS's quotes because, while he is a phenomenal keyboadist, he seems like noting but a "sarcastic shit stirrer" as a person and obviously has an axe to grind against DT.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
So nice you to join us, Mr President!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
It's no wonder Sherinian is such a big fan of Van Halen: he comes off a far less successful David Lee Roth.  Ya know, the guy who has so much arrogance that it's comical and just not believable.

On the other hand, I actually feel sorry for Portnoy at this point because, for all of his success, he comes off as a guy filled with a lot anger and bitterness, not to mention being such an overly sensitive soul that any criticism bugs the crap out of him.  It's gotta be hell be inside your own head as much as he is.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
Quote from Mike's FB:
Mike Portnoy: Hmmm...Not my favorite review...seems like some of the DelFuvian Bravado may have puckered the anus of the "Dream Theater Club"...
Oh well...everything can't be Astonishing!!

:facepalm:

:facepalm: for sure.

Anyway, good review Noxon. I feel like it was the first actual review of the album, the strengths and weaknesses and giving a good description of the songs. Thanks for posting.

Ok. FIRST, I am completely in "camp MP". That being said, how can a review that gives a pretty damn good detailed description of an album (with pros & cons) that receives a 7/10 be considered a bad "bias" review? I'm sorry Mike, but "THIS TIME" you're DEAD WRONG! Aside from the 2 officially released songs, I've only heard of one other "GOTS" (online) and while I LOVED the song, the review "completely NAILED it" on that one (the good and the questionable). I understand MP's derision of this site because there are SO MANY members that just have nothing better to do than to ignorantly rip him WRONGLY, but I believe he completely F'D UP on this one, by stating his quote. SO UNNECESSARY! I pay no mind to DS's quotes because, while he is a phenomenal keyboadist, he seems like noting but a "sarcastic shit stirrer" as a person and obviously has an axe to grind against DT.

Chaossystem upgraded to underline and bold. Neat!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »
Jeff Scott Soto has also just dismissed Noxon's review as a "misrepresentation" of their album. Apparently any fawning and wafer-thin veneration of the album is "just his perspective guys!", but a properly-written, balanced and in-depth appraisal is a "misrepresentation".

Anyway, good review Noxon, I thought it was well-researched and very fair.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
Yeah I don’t think I’m gonna buy the album now. I didn’t really mind Derek’s shitty comments, but this review thing is just too much. These guys don’t deserve my money.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2017, 06:59:55 PM »
Yeah, this is a bit too much.  Seeing these older artists, who have been succesfully in the game for a long ass time, pile on a well written review that gives a solid/good grade seems so odd. Sorry if this is all offtopic, but this review is written by a fellow member and I just want to say I think it is well written and ironically it makes me look forward to the album, which is kind of negated by the band's sad behavior.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
I realize that I really didn't need to say anything in response to Mike and Derek's comments, it just bothered me, especially coming off of Mike's great post after the Shattered Fortress show. I don't know how two musicians who have people saying that they are turned off by comments from musical heroes ripping on other musicians can be so passive and rude about it. I understand that they are proud of their work and want people to like it, but ripping down others isn't the way to do it. Most people don't care about all of the social media drama, and that's fine, it just seems like a weird way to market your product.

Also, I wasn't expecting that second response from Derek after I tried to be a bit more positive, it went a different direction then I was expecting.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bill1971

« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
I thought it was a very fair review. You even put that it's your opinion. Ironically didn't MP just defend the koreanguitar review because of his opinion?

Anyhow Im not going to say anything else because I believe the natural consequences of their behavior will harm them far more than what I will post. Also, they will not be getting my money.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »
Funny how, if they wanted, they could have almost unanimous support from the DT community.  But due to the way Mike and Derek are handling themselves publicly and privately, they are completely shooting themselves in the feet by alienating some of the fanbase.  Pretty shortsighted to alienate the very fanbase that started out predisposed to support them.  Oh well.  If this project flops, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I will say again:  As far as this site is concerned, follow the rules and be respectful.  But at the same time, this isn't Facebook or MP.com.  As long as criticism is constructive and doesn't become personal, it is permitted in the interest of open discussion. 

With regard to discussing the album:  If you have been given an authorized pre-release promo, you are authorized to post that.  If you have not, posting that you have heard it, that it has leaked, any details, or anything like the preceeding will get you banned from here.  No further warnings on the subject.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »
I wouldn't want spoilers anyway. I don't care about any controversial hoopla surrounding all this. It has no effect on me personally and won't stop me from buying the cd when it's released. I look forward to hearing it..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:56 AM »
I wouldn't want spoilers anyway. I don't care about any controversial hoopla surrounding all this. It has no effect on me personally and won't stop me from buying the cd when it's released. I look forward to hearing it..  :metal
I basically agree - I think it's a shame there's this drama, and I don't really understand why both the band and a chunk of the potential fanbase seem to think there need to be two "sides".

I'll also vouch for Kim, whose DT reviews are always similarly professional and quite neutral in tone, which I guess could be taken as being critical (I remember some fans feeling that way about some of his recent DT reviews) but are actually just objective, especially for such a dedicated fan. In this particular case, given the "sides", I wonder if the simple fact that it's from the DT fanclub could make it seem biased in SOA's eyes.

But anyway, all this nonsense doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music at all, and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far a great deal. Looking forward to hopefully getting my promo copy soon - we always seem to get InsideOut promos later than most other places, for some reason.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2017, 03:33:03 AM »
we always seem to get InsideOut promos later than most other places, for some reason.
It really depends as I already got my promo link for an album to be released after Psychotic Symphony (the new PFM to be precise) and the promoter told me that I would get the link one day before the album release (they don't trust me :D my relations with Inside Out are new so I think they are a bit distrustful which is understandable).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2017, 04:54:48 AM »
Regarding the DT.club supporting ex-members;

One of the things I stipulated as a non-negotiable requirement for me to take the reins of the new fan club I was building, as that I wanted full editorial freedom. The right to choose the content on the sites and social media that I control.

The reason for this was I wanted this to be a true "Dream Theater World" - not only uniting the fans all across the globe into one fan club, but to ensure that we would have the ability to objectively cover anyone and anything connected to Dream Theater. Current members, staff, ex-members, side projects and so forth. There's no Dream Theater breathing down my neck making sure I only post stuff they approve.

So I really don't get this bias argument. I have covered Charlie Dominicis attempt at crowdfunding. I have covered the Kevin Moore patreon and new tracks. I have covered Mike Portnoys bands (specifically Neal Morse Band, Shattered Fortress and Sons of Apollo as they're the ones that have been relevant during the period the fan club has existed). I don't take sides! I don't even see it as sides. It's a bunch of musicians creating music. Some of it good, some of it maybe not so good. What on earth would my gain be in being intentionally biased against Sons of Apollo? If anything, Sons of Apollo would provide me of yet another source for content. Sucking up to Mike and Derek would be in my best interest, if I was a man without any integrity. But I've prided myself on having the ability to try to stay objective and neutral even considering the fact that I have had personal access to people others simply do not have.

Now, let it be said: The bias "tag" only came after I started engaging Derek, so I might have brought that on myself :P

Online faizoff

« Reply #206 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:42 AM »
noxon, I thought your review was pretty good and odd as it may sound I'm really excited to hear the album now. It's an honest observation from a fan and as such written so. I will check it out when the album is out, regardless of the behavior meted out to you by the band members.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: October 02, 2017, 05:40:13 AM »
I definitely agree with whoever said that no matter how the album pans out, it looks like a good concert to attend. All of the guys are pretty good showmen, and I suspect the show would be an absolute riot.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #208 on: October 02, 2017, 06:28:14 AM »
Regarding the DT.club supporting ex-members;

One of the things I stipulated as a non-negotiable requirement for me to take the reins of the new fan club I was building, as that I wanted full editorial freedom. The right to choose the content on the sites and social media that I control.

The reason for this was I wanted this to be a true "Dream Theater World" - not only uniting the fans all across the globe into one fan club, but to ensure that we would have the ability to objectively cover anyone and anything connected to Dream Theater. Current members, staff, ex-members, side projects and so forth. There's no Dream Theater breathing down my neck making sure I only post stuff they approve.

So I really don't get this bias argument. I have covered Charlie Dominicis attempt at crowdfunding. I have covered the Kevin Moore patreon and new tracks. I have covered Mike Portnoys bands (specifically Neal Morse Band, Shattered Fortress and Sons of Apollo as they're the ones that have been relevant during the period the fan club has existed). I don't take sides! I don't even see it as sides. It's a bunch of musicians creating music. Some of it good, some of it maybe not so good. What on earth would my gain be in being intentionally biased against Sons of Apollo? If anything, Sons of Apollo would provide me of yet another source for content. Sucking up to Mike and Derek would be in my best interest, if I was a man without any integrity. But I've prided myself on having the ability to try to stay objective and neutral even considering the fact that I have had personal access to people others simply do not have.

Now, let it be said: The bias "tag" only came after I started engaging Derek, so I might have brought that on myself :P
Completely agree and I hope you didn't think I was saying anything otherwise.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »
I thought the review seemed balanced and generally pretty positive, actually made me want to give it a try moreso than before reading it.  The only thing I could see anyone taking offence to (if you're in the band) is the suggestion that none of them are great songwriters, no one probably likes hearing that!  It's a fair point though.

My only point on DS comment would be this.  It's only natural surely that the DT fan community would review a prog metal record where the band contains two former members of Dream Theater.  All things being equal, DT fans should be biased towards SOA because of this and they should be a large percentage of their fan base.  If DT fans are biased against this band (and DS clearly expects them to be based on his comment) then clearly DS/MP aren't doing it right.