Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464225 times)

Offline Peace and Love

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2017, 06:46:08 AM »
Quote from Mike's FB:
Mike Portnoy: Hmmm...Not my favorite review...seems like some of the DelFuvian Bravado may have puckered the anus of the "Dream Theater Club"...
Oh well...everything can't be Astonishing!!

:facepalm:

This kind of knee jerk response from the dude that said that all 2 of the reviews before this one were "unanimous" makes me realize that the competitiveness with Dream Theater is not coming only from DS. The fact that MP immediately equates a neutral-to-positive review to "not as good as The Astonishing" does reveal something about his own mindset.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »
Anyone else notice that Derek looks a whole lot like a slightly younger Paul Stanley?

No, he looks like the Kardashian Mom.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2017, 07:11:16 AM »
Honestly, reading that entire conversation between MP, DS, and noxon was surreal.

Everytime DS puts his foot in his mouth I think, "OK, this has got to stop soon, maybe MP will ask him to refrain" but he is the gift that keeps on giving - completely oblivious to how his "humour" is perceived by others. He even participated in MP's twitter Q&A yesterday, asking him "how do you feel about breathy vocals?".

There are rules in place here to prevent me from honestly saying what I think of him, and that's probably for the best...

I realize this is the second SoA thread, and it was started to get away from discussions about things like this. But I agree. I have to bite my tongue on what I *really* want to say because Mike and Derek are showing no class at all and they're actually fueling a divide. He made it sound like a guy asked a stupid question over Twitter and several of his fans jumped on it calling the guy (who asked a perfectly acceptable question) 'dumb,' 'an idiot', etc. - they're doing the exact opposite of trying to keep 'peace and love' despite Mike saying that's all he wants. Disgusting
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
Quote from Mike's FB:
Mike Portnoy: Hmmm...Not my favorite review...seems like some of the DelFuvian Bravado may have puckered the anus of the "Dream Theater Club"...

:facepalm: for sure.

Anyway, good review Noxon. I feel like it was the first actual review of the album, the strengths and weaknesses and giving a good description of the songs. Thanks for posting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
What are we thinking the shelf life on this "real band' is? 

2 years before there is a member change.

3 years before they take a "break."

I'm taking the Under on both. :lol :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2017, 08:28:57 AM »
^ not sure really, I think it’ll depend on what the expectations of the guys really are at this point. They’ve been hyping SoA up as the next great thing, but that might just be PR. They, behind closed doors, may have a realistic expectation of this thing moving a few thousand copies the first week and playing to a few hundred (maybe 1,000 depending on the market) people on tour per show. If that’s the case, I could see this lasting maybe a couple albums and tour cycles.

On the other hand if they actually have other, bigger expectations and they don’t feel the band is meeting those, it could be a short run. Time will tell.

Online Skeever

« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »

Yup, and let's be honest. Bumblefoot and JSS have better things to do than stick around in a flop of a band where two members can't stop stirring media drama up for the most childish reasons.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
I think JSS is actually more excited with his solo album than this Sons of Apollo gig.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155669711004454&set=a.10152002648949454.1073741829.509689453&type=3&theater

Well, okay then :)

Noxon, thanks for sharing the review! It's really detailed, very good read.
My only "criticism" about your review is that you wrote so many really good things about the album and, in the end of it all, you say '"it's not a bad album". It seems that you thought the album is better than that.
By the way, I'm pretty sure, I'll think this album will be excelent. I mean, reaaally pretty sure  ;). I'm glad I've pre-ordered the media book edition.
But I'm feel really sorry the way MP and Derek treated you on that. You made a totally professional review.They are really promoting this CD totaly the wrong way. Unfortunately they're constantly pushing away the perfect public for this CD.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »
That's fair feedback - I will alter my statement. When I said "it's not a bad album", i could just as well have been saying "It's a good album" - because it is, even if it has a few flaws.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »
Well, I left the review with the impression that there's a lot of good playing, but not good song writing.  Which doesn't, to me, translate to a "good" album.  (I would agree with the lack of good song writing, by the way...)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »
And I wouldn't change that sentence - unless you really really want to - that's how you felt when you wrote it, and it's probably pretty accurate. 

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »

I'll go under as well. Mainly because the Scientologist will be turning 65 soon after their world tour starts - and it's pretty hard to play heavy music that's this rich in balls and chunk at that age. I imagine touring in a heavy metal band is very taxing as you get in your 60s. That double neck bass guitar looks heavy - can't be easy on the back and neck muscles.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
SOA has to release more music to make that the focus of this promotion. Not these social media shenanigans of their own making.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
I don't know why I bother to keep poking my head in here. Too much drama when all I care about is the music. I briefly took a quick look at the review but really didn't read much beyond a certain comment which summed everything up for me:

Unfortunately, the drama has already colored some potential fans expectations of the album… I hope you can look past the silly drama and judge the music on its own.

That pretty much ain't gonna happen with the majority of the people visiting this thread.

To be clear, I'm not apologizing or defending anything that is happening in social media. The fact is, I Don't Care. I really don't. As I think I said in the locked thread, if I cared about the behavior/political leanings/childishness of musicians then I would have very little music in my life. I don't know them on a personal level so I could care less about a perceived insult that is potentially aimed at me.

Eh, whatever. I said my peace.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lethean

« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
I have no idea how long this band will last or how successful it will be.  I think it will be more successful than you might think, just because each member of the band has their own fan base and there will be at least some portion of each of those fans who like the album, or at the very least, want it for their collection.  I know a few guitar player friends who are interested in it just to hear Ron Thal, and don't really care if (they think) the songs aren't that good.  There will also be those who do like the songs.  They may not be selling out arenas, but I think they'll do well enough. 

What I'm pretty sure is not going to happen is this:  Mike said that this is what his prog/DT fans have been waiting for since he left Dream Theater.  I don't think said fans are going to find that this album delivers that at all.  He presented this whole project as if it would, as if DT fans were the target audience, but I think the audience has shifted.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
Quote from Mike's FB:

FFS Mike. Seriously? I love listening and watching him play drums and think he's an incredible musician but this is an utter Dick thing to say. There is no defending this brat like statement either because this childish response was related to a review that didn't spend the entire article blowing smoke up he and Derek's a$$. He needs to come to grips with the fact all these 'bands' that he's tried to start to eclipse DT just ain't gonna ever be near DT in talent, recognition and most of all CLASS.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
Oh dear...

Well just a few weeks to go to hear it I guess.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
The frustrating things for me in all of this is that I am following this band because of Jeff Scott Soto. Wow, JSS is in an all-star band that built themselves up as the new kings of prog, maybe he will finally get the big break he really really deserves even though it's already late in his career.

But based on what's happening (and what I have listened to) so far, it ain't gonna happen.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »

Yup, and let's be honest. Bumblefoot and JSS have better things to do than stick around in a flop of a band where two members can't stop stirring media drama up for the most childish reasons.

I do honestly wonder how into it Bumblefoot (or JSS) will be.  I suspect the same thing happened with Ritchie Kotzen.  New band comes along and it's kind of exciting.  There's a potential to make some better money with it.  In the end, the money made is comparable to what you made doing your solo thing.  The crowds might be a little bigger but you're getting a smaller share of the profits.  You also have to compromise a lot more.  So you go back to your solo stuff.  The money is about the same but you're happier. 

Just a theory. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
It seems a very strange marketing ploy to piss of your intended market.
Not very bright.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
Anyone else notice that Derek looks a whole lot like a slightly younger Paul Stanley?

No, he looks like the Kardashian Mom.

He always reminds me of Liberace...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2017, 10:40:21 AM »
It seems a very strange marketing ploy to piss of your intended market.
Not very bright.

Especially when it seems like it's the ONLY market.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »

Just saying.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
He does.  Wow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
It's like he got a hair implant and a slightly botched face job.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
It's like he got a hair implant and a slightly botched face job.

It's like they called the same doctor.

Dr. Love.
:neverusethis:

I was just thinking about a SOA live show, and I bet JSS would do a killer Lines In The Sand.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
I don't think MP can live without drama. He feeds off it. Derek is just a bitter troll though. Actually, they're both bitter.

And no, Mlike. Not everything can be The Astonishing, especially not Sons of Apollo. Tell Billy his bass sounds like ass.

Offline majo

« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
Honestly, reading that entire conversation between MP, DS, and noxon was surreal.

Everytime DS puts his foot in his mouth I think, "OK, this has got to stop soon, maybe MP will ask him to refrain" but he is the gift that keeps on giving - completely oblivious to how his "humour" is perceived by others. He even participated in MP's twitter Q&A yesterday, asking him "how do you feel about breathy vocals?".

There are rules in place here to prevent me from honestly saying what I think of him, and that's probably for the best...
link please? if it's still put there.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
I don't think MP can live without drama. He feeds off it. Derek is just a bitter troll though. Actually, they're both bitter.

And no, Mlike. Not everything can be The Astonishing, especially not Sons of Apollo. Tell Billy his bass sounds like ass.
Yeah, that bitterness is getting heavy and way too awkward. They're like a couple of old friends you don't want to see anymore because they've become overbearing with negativity. I wish they'd cut their losses already.

Billy's bass tone is great though. Don't tell me you don't love this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK78q3D6q6w

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »

it's in the original link already posted in this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155669711004454&set=a.10152002648949454.1073741829.509689453&type=3&theater

click on "comments"

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
I don't really care too much about the silly trash-talk from the SOA camp, but it's a really weak move to so heavily slam a 7/10 review that was quite detailed in its analysis.

Offline majo

« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »

it's in the original link already posted in this thread:

click on "comments"

thanks.
Just read it and jeez... those guys (DS especially) act like 12 yo. Butthurt with everything which isn't a pure praise.  :loser:
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about I guess?

Yeesh. I get the need to promote a new release but they could maybe do that by emphasising what they think is good about their product rather than insulting something/someone else? Can you imagine if JJ Abrams promoted the Star Wars movies by being passive aggressive about Star Trek?