Author Topic: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?  (Read 29752 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
Maybe not the most musically gifted out of all band members, but he definitely had the best sense of atmosphere and how the instrumentation lends to mood and feel of the track. Out of all DT members, he would probably write the best film score
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lethean

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
Im not sure if Derek was funnin' around or not. I don't know him or his sense of humor. But I do find that Jordan's cheese just isn't my chedder like Derek's is. Hopefully he was just pokin a bit.

Either way it's impossible to deny that Jordan is such a "composer" and an insane talent. Derek clearly fancies himself a rock and roller.

I'd still rather have Moore in the whole time than either. I miss that guy's vibe so much in that band.

I know I keep harpin on this, but you really do need to check out OSI (I'd start with Blood); his vocals and the whole atmosphere of everything just works so well. 

As a huge Moore fan myself, I can honestly say that his 4 OSI albums (and the Chroma Key stuff as well) is simply amazing.  If you are a fan of Awake-era DT and haven't checked out those releases, I highly recommend it.

I'll second that. I think the last OSI and the first two Chroma Key are among the best releases of any DT related project. All Kevin Moore releases are worth a listen but especially those three.

Agreed.  No contest.  It's just a shame that KevMo doesn't even seem to be that interested in making music.  It's almost a crime that he's the most musically talented of anyone in the DT camp, and so disinterested in actually making music.  I like the first two CK albums and all the OSI stuff better than I like half of DT's material.   And DT's mid tier stuff is still some of the best music ever written.

I don't think I agree with the bolded part. Petrucci, Rudess and Mangini are, imo, much more musically talented than Moore.
+1 about not agreeing with the bolded part.  Who's more talented than who - I suppose that's down to our preferences.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2017, 09:44:21 PM »
Maybe not the most musically gifted out of all band members, but he definitely had the best sense of atmosphere and how the instrumentation lends to mood and feel of the track. Out of all DT members, he would probably write the best film score

With that, I can definitely agree! Kev should produce the next DT album  :biggrin:

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2017, 10:52:23 PM »
Just to clarify what I meant.    I didn't mean the most *technically* gifted.   That would definitely be Rudess, Mangini, Petrucci. 

I meant that he is the perfect mix of musically talented, and melodic "sixth sense"....(just because I'm not sure how else to put it). 

And even by saying that, I'm not saying that the other three LACK melody (as some have implied....but I don't agree).   I only mean that KevMo is *more balanced* than those other three.   He is a better embodiment of "the best of both worlds.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2017, 02:42:01 AM »
Out of all DT members, he would probably write the best film score

And to my knowledge, is the only one who actually HAS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okul_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Apocalypse_(2006_film)

And he's doing a patreon for his demos ; pretty interesting stuff so far. https://www.patreon.com/chromakey

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2017, 03:30:14 AM »
Im not sure if Derek was funnin' around or not. I don't know him or his sense of humor. But I do find that Jordan's cheese just isn't my chedder like Derek's is. Hopefully he was just pokin a bit.

Either way it's impossible to deny that Jordan is such a "composer" and an insane talent. Derek clearly fancies himself a rock and roller.

I'd still rather have Moore in the whole time than either. I miss that guy's vibe so much in that band.

I know I keep harpin on this, but you really do need to check out OSI (I'd start with Blood); his vocals and the whole atmosphere of everything just works so well. 

As a huge Moore fan myself, I can honestly say that his 4 OSI albums (and the Chroma Key stuff as well) is simply amazing.  If you are a fan of Awake-era DT and haven't checked out those releases, I highly recommend it.

I'll second that. I think the last OSI and the first two Chroma Key are among the best releases of any DT related project. All Kevin Moore releases are worth a listen but especially those three.

Agreed.  No contest.  It's just a shame that KevMo doesn't even seem to be that interested in making music.   It's almost a crime that he's the most musically talented of anyone in the DT camp, and so disinterested in actually making music.  I like the first two CK albums and all the OSI stuff better than I like half of DT's material.   And DT's mid tier stuff is still some of the best music ever written.

Well, actually, jammin, with all due respect,  yes, there is a contest, because it all amounts to personal preferences. And I also prefer KM over JR and DS in DT. For me, nevertheless, JLB has released the best material of any DT related side-projects.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
Just to clarify what I meant.    I didn't mean the most *technically* gifted.   That would definitely be Rudess, Mangini, Petrucci. 

I meant that he is the perfect mix of musically talented, and melodic "sixth sense"....(just because I'm not sure how else to put it). 

And even by saying that, I'm not saying that the other three LACK melody (as some have implied....but I don't agree).   I only mean that KevMo is *more balanced* than those other three.   He is a better embodiment of "the best of both worlds.

This.

I got what you meant and I very much agree.

And yes, the fact that he isn't more prolific has always seemed like such a shame to me.  But you know what?  The dude just wants to live his life, a life that by all accounts has been quite a trip.  I feel like his music has an 'old soul' feel that would be lost if he had been more a traditional musician.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »
It should also be mentioned that for those who don't know, KevMo has been a key part of the atmospherics on some of my favorite Fates albums.  He adds so much to APSOG and Disconnected.

I suppose I should add (bc this was originally about DS) that I see no reason, in any walk of life, to disparage or poke fun at another person professionally.  It's just bad business in my opinion.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
It should also be mentioned that for those who don't know, KevMo has been a key part of the atmospherics on some of my favorite Fates albums.  He adds so much to APSOG and Disconnected.

I forgot about that. Great albums!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »
KevMo is just plain awesome, flat out. He rules. You Go Now is in my all-time favorite albums. I tend to listen to it at the very least once a week for various reasons (shower tunes, at the gym, doing household chores, at work etc.). It's so chill and musically satisfying.

Re: Sherinian, I think I'm about to pull the plug on buying anything of his again. I can think of a lot nicer musicians I can give my hard earned money to. The same goes for Mike. These guys are world famous and have accolades and awards... why do they feel the need to be dicks?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
I wonder why he feels the need to take shots at Rudess like that.
And she listens openly

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »
It reminds me of high school jock behavior...say all sorts of demeaning/nasty things to someone, then call them too sensitive and say you were just joking when they get upset about it.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

(this applies both here and with how he's handling himself around SoA)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:20:38 PM by millahh »
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
Kinda immature if he is really trying to get Jordan upset.
And she listens openly

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
It was a big surprise for me how DS has been behaving online lately. I always had a different impression of him through the years, specially after watching him play in the WDADRU dvd.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
It's either insecurity or overconfidence...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
And even if they're not (which I am definitely not buying), they are certainly not less.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
It reminds me of high school jock behavior...say all sorts of demeaning/nasty things to someone, then call them too sensitive and say you were just joking when they get upset about it.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

You missed an essential 3rd link in the chain. It's:

1. Hurl needless and unprovoked jabs at people on the internet
2. Label anyone who takes exception to it as "humourless" and "over-sensitive"
3. Then proceed to cry about all the "negative poison on the internet" when people return the jabs right back at you.

It's textbook bullying behaviour and is usually out-grown around early adolescence.

Offline Evai

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
I think he feels he deserves more fame and recognition than he's gotten
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »
KevMo is just plain awesome, flat out. He rules. You Go Now is in my all-time favorite albums. I tend to listen to it at the very least once a week for various reasons (shower tunes, at the gym, doing household chores, at work etc.). It's so chill and musically satisfying.

Re: Sherinian, I think I'm about to pull the plug on buying anything of his again. I can think of a lot nicer musicians I can give my hard earned money to. The same goes for Mike. These guys are world famous and have accolades and awards... why do they feel the need to be dicks?

Especially when it's someones hard earned burger flipping money. Only stuff I have with DS is FIY and  a Planet X cd. And now this is all I will have.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2017, 06:19:46 PM »

My guess is that he feels inferior. He does not feel it was justified that DT fired him, he made that clear in the recent Eddie Trunk interview, so maybe it makes him feel better to criticize the guy who they replaced him with.  Whatever the case, it's very childish.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »

My guess is that he feels inferior. He does not feel it was justified that DT fired him, he made that clear in the recent Eddie Trunk interview, so maybe it makes him feel better to criticize the guy who they replaced him with.  Whatever the case, it's very childish.

Yet it was the guy sitting next to him that probably had the final say.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »

Not to rehash a lot of old garbage that's been ran into the ground on this site, but I'm guessing that MP's power within the DT entity has been greatly over-exaggerated. Raise the Knife lyrics being my soul piece of evidence from that time period. Speculate all you want, but he wasn't omnipotent within their decision making structure.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »

Not to rehash a lot of old garbage that's been ran into the ground on this site, but I'm guessing that MP's power within the DT entity has been greatly over-exaggerated. Raise the Knife lyrics being my soul piece of evidence from that time period. Speculate all you want, but he wasn't omnipotent within their decision making structure

No, but he was one of at least 3. You know who wasnt? Jordan Rudess. ehh, play ground shit that is easily seen who the instigator here is but whatever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
I cannot remember the specifics, but I remember Petrucci and Portnoy realizing how awesome the chemistry was with Rudess with making the LTE records and basically floated the idea that if he was ready to join the band (he had to decline back in '94), they would make it happen.  I think once Rudess said yes, they went back to LaBrie and Myung and told them they were going to make the move.  That is how I remember it, although I am sure the fact police will be by shortly to fact check me. :lol :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
That's how I always figured it happened because that's how MP used to talk about it in the Score documentary and in Lifting Shadows, now he seems to tell a different tale
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2017, 08:58:10 PM »
That's how I always figured it happened because that's how MP used to talk about it in the Score documentary and in Lifting Shadows, now he seems to tell a different tale

But Derek doesn't seem to realize this at all  :facepalm:

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:25 PM »

Not to rehash a lot of old garbage that's been ran into the ground on this site, but I'm guessing that MP's power within the DT entity has been greatly over-exaggerated. Raise the Knife lyrics being my soul piece of evidence from that time period. Speculate all you want, but he wasn't omnipotent within their decision making structure

No, but he was one of at least 3. You know who wasnt? Jordan Rudess. ehh, play ground shit that is easily seen who the instigator here is but whatever.

I won't argue that he wasn't involved. My point being that it doesn't lie squarely on his shoulders. People on this forum (and the old one that was part of the official site) have attributed entirely too much of the things that went on with DT to him during those years. Was it because he was the most "in your face" member, and handled most of their public stuff? Almost certainly. However, the fact remains that he was only a single vote. I mention Raise the Knife because one of the verses deals with him losing out on a vote.

Now, was he probably full of himself when he claimed that he didn't vote DS out in favor of Jordan? I'll buy that with no hesitation. But he couldn't make that happen alone.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
I won't argue that he wasn't involved. My point being that it doesn't lie squarely on his shoulders. People on this forum (and the old one that was part of the official site) have attributed entirely too much of the things that went on with DT to him during those years. Was it because he was the most "in your face" member, and handled most of their public stuff? Almost certainly. However, the fact remains that he was only a single vote. I mention Raise the Knife because one of the verses deals with him losing out on a vote.

Now, was he probably full of himself when he claimed that he didn't vote DS out in favor of Jordan? I'll buy that with no hesitation. But he couldn't make that happen alone.

I think people say that because Mike was the one that would say, and still says, that he was "the leader" of DT and always spoke of how much control he had there (wether this is true or not).

Of course he wasn't the only one pushing in that direction, but he was clearly very happy with Jordan being brought in and, at the time, didn't seem to care too much about Derek being fired, I mean... just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3DsCb-u4M

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:47 PM »

Sorry you are missing my point. MP is allowing the guy he/dt fired to talk shit about the guy he/dt hired because now he too  is no longer part of DT. Of his own volition.  Sour grapes and misery loves company and all that.. These 2 are now feeding each other with this stuff. Don't they have a new band with an album coming out. I remember something about that but then they started tweeeting this and facebooking that. BUT its the fans that are the trolls.
Eh, just want to add the good saying "do not bite the hand that feeds you"    even burgers derek.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:36:13 PM by Spiritus »

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »

Sorry you are missing my point. MP is allowing the guy he/dt fired to talk shit about the guy he/dt hired because now he too  is no longer part of DT. Of his own volition.  Sour grapes and misery loves company and all that.. These 2 are now feeding each other with this stuff. Don't they have a new band with an album coming out. I remember something about that but then they started tweeeting this and facebooking that. BUT its the fans that are the trolls.
Eh, just want to add the good saying "do not bite the hand that feeds you"    even burgers derek.

He's allowing him to talk smack? He might not be asking him to stop, but "allowing him"? That's a perfect example of what I've been saying. Mike Portnoy in no way, shape or form can control another person's actions unless it's one of his children. Could MP be goading him into saying these things? Maybe. Could MP be asking him to say these things? Maybe. But allowing him?  :mehlin

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »
But Derek doesn't seem to realize this at all  :facepalm:
You can't tell him either. He'll block you or delete your comment. Someone messaged me on Facebook saying he deleted their comment and blocked them on the posts about Noxon's review. He must have saw my exchange with Derek and messaged me about his comment. I'm interested to know what he said to get blocked and deleted
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2017, 11:03:59 PM »
And please let me clarify my point. Semantics is much of what got things to this point with MP to begin with. People have been critical of how he words things in social media and interviews. If we're going to be critical of the things that he says, shouldn't we be holding ourselves to a higher standard while discussing the topic?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2017, 04:41:28 AM »
I disagree. Frankly, we are just nameless joe shmoes on an internet forum; what we say is of eventually no consequence and is best ignored by any of the artists involved. In turn, I don't think there is any point to us trying to ride some moral high ground. Part of the allure of a forum like this is, short of breaking the rules, being able to say what you feel about an artist.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Pettor

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2017, 05:28:04 AM »
I think Sherinian just listened to Metropolis part 2 for the first time. I would also be jealous as shit after that.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »

Sorry you are missing my point. MP is allowing the guy he/dt fired to talk shit about the guy he/dt hired because now he too  is no longer part of DT. Of his own volition. Sour grapes and misery loves company and all that.. These 2 are now feeding each other with this stuff. Don't they have a new band with an album coming out. I remember something about that but then they started tweeeting this and facebooking that. BUT its the fans that are the trolls.

My thoughts exactly...