Author Topic: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?  (Read 29640 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 03:07:24 AM »
Meanwhile, JR is a class act and would never pull any crap like that.

Never underestimate your heroes ability to disappoint you  :metal
Nah, that's not JR.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 03:53:27 AM »
Meanwhile, JR is a class act and would never pull any crap like that.

Never underestimate your heroes ability to disappoint you  :metal
Nah, that's not JR.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 05:11:32 AM »
I usually don't get involved in reviewers and their wisdom but the Norweigan review is so snobby that I was grossed out by the attitude. I think that reviewer needs to stop listening to Dream Theater- he obviously is over processing the shit out of it!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »
I usually don't get involved in reviewers and their wisdom but the Norweigan review is so snobby that I was grossed out by the attitude. I think that reviewer needs to stop listening to Dream Theater- he obviously is over processing the shit out of it!

Who's quote is this?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Jordan’s quote on my review of black clouds

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »

:o :rollin ::)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »

Would love to read that review  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
I remember the whole thing back when it went down, I believe. Or maybe a year or so later. You two sorted things out in the meantime, didn't you, Noxon?

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
I dunno.  Seems like all in good fun to me.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »

Would love to read that review  :biggrin:

Me too!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »
I would imagine it's this review.

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2009/04/26/dream-theater-black-clouds-and-silver-linings-ii/

I don't agree with everything, but I don't think it was that bad. I saw people ''over processing the shit out'' of the band's music more intensely than anything in this review  :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
My reason for bringing in the quote was just to counterpoint the "not JR" posts though. Yeah, we squared up after that. It's all good now. But it for sure wasn't fun when it happened.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
MP once told me to enjoy my piss break. Just sayin'
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »
MP once told me to enjoy my piss break. Just sayin'

Well....I mean, wouldn't you want to enjoy it? Seems like a very polite thing to say.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
I did enjoy it. Did the piss break happen during Repentance? Maybe.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »
I did enjoy it. Did the piss break happen during Repentance? Maybe.

Well that's good. I definitely wouldn't have gone then (seeing as it's my favorite part of the suite), so we could have alternated spots.

Team work! You piss during Repentance, I take a 14 or whatever minute dump during Shattered Fortress.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 03:02:57 PM »
14 minute dump?! Gives "Shattered Fortress" a new meaning.

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »
Im not sure if Derek was funnin' around or not. I don't know him or his sense of humor. But I do find that Jordan's cheese just isn't my chedder like Derek's is. Hopefully he was just pokin a bit.

Either way it's impossible to deny that Jordan is such a "composer" and an insane talent. Derek clearly fancies himself a rock and roller.

I'd still rather have Moore in the whole time than either. I miss that guy's vibe so much in that band.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
I would imagine it's this review.

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2009/04/26/dream-theater-black-clouds-and-silver-linings-ii/

I don't agree with everything, but I don't think it was that bad. I saw people ''over processing the shit out'' of the band's music more intensely than anything in this review  :lol
What the hell though? 4 out of 5? That long apologetic intro, then a 95% (extremely) positive review? How was this controversial? Is JR that thin-skinned that this bothered him? I find that really surprising. Do they expect no criticism and nothing but overly enthusiastic praise (much of this review seemed like that anyway) on a quid pro quo basis? He even called Jordan's unbearable ARoP solo QUOTE AWESOME UNQOUTE. :lol I rest my case. What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:15:11 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
Not sure what would make anyone think Derek is doing this in good fun. He's an asshole and he has shown that an awful lot lately. If this crap doesn't change real soon I might reconsider supporting SoA.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
Ya'll see this?

https://twitter.com/DerekSherinian/status/913910421219770369

As a keyboardist myself I think that tone stinks, at least from that quality of video, what I can hear. Don't play synth leads in the low register, please :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Ya'll see this?

As a keyboardist myself I think that tone stinks, at least from that quality of video, what I can hear. Don't play synth leads in the low register, please :(

#nofakery?  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Evai

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »
I think it sounds quite cool :) But it seems he's become a grumpy old man
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »
Ya'll see this?

I don't get it either. I don't know much about Ruddess' gadgets and stuff but it seems like he just uses them to get different sounds. It's not like he's an unskilled musician who can't play a "real" electronic instrument ???
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
Ya'll see this?

I thought the tone was okay, but what he actually played was boring and uninteresting.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »
Ya'll see this?

I don't get it either. I don't know much about Ruddess' gadgets and stuff but it seems like he just uses them to get different sounds. It's not like he's an unskilled musician who can't play a "real" electronic instrument ???

It's bizarre. JR is the last person in the world who can be accused of "fakery" or using effects as a crutch to hide his lack of skill.

And this is entering the realm of personal taste of course, but I think his compositional and songwriting ability is miles ahead of DS. Even purely his soloing style - which he is sometimes criticised for - his miles better than DS, and there's nothing "fake" about these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyWQblwGnkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do7d7DNxMIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USh-arMBwE

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »
Ya'll see this?

I thought the tone was okay, but what he actually played was boring and uninteresting.

Are you saying that playing a bunch of scales over and over is boring. 

Well, you're right. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2017, 10:02:37 AM »
It doesn't matter how many times Derek teases JR with the #noiPads #NoCheeseWiz #KingOfKeys things, he still lost the big DT gig to him lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
It doesn't matter how many times Derek teases JR with the #noiPads #NoCheeseWiz #KingOfKeys things, he still lost the big DT gig to him lol.

Exactly. While Derek’s busy tweeting about being the king of keys, Jordan’s busy actually BEING the king of keys in, probably, the biggest band of the genere  :biggrin:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
Ya'll see this?

Sounds exactly like a JR patch to me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
Im not sure if Derek was funnin' around or not. I don't know him or his sense of humor. But I do find that Jordan's cheese just isn't my chedder like Derek's is. Hopefully he was just pokin a bit.

Either way it's impossible to deny that Jordan is such a "composer" and an insane talent. Derek clearly fancies himself a rock and roller.

I'd still rather have Moore in the whole time than either. I miss that guy's vibe so much in that band.

I know I keep harpin on this, but you really do need to check out OSI (I'd start with Blood); his vocals and the whole atmosphere of everything just works so well. 

As a huge Moore fan myself, I can honestly say that his 4 OSI albums (and the Chroma Key stuff as well) is simply amazing.  If you are a fan of Awake-era DT and haven't checked out those releases, I highly recommend it.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »

I know I keep harpin on this, but you really do need to check out OSI (I'd start with Blood); his vocals and the whole atmosphere of everything just works so well. 

As a huge Moore fan myself, I can honestly say that his 4 OSI albums (and the Chroma Key stuff as well) is simply amazing.  If you are a fan of Awake-era DT and haven't checked out those releases, I highly recommend it.

I'll second that. I think the last OSI and the first two Chroma Key are among the best releases of any DT related project. All Kevin Moore releases are worth a listen but especially those three.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
OSI is nothing but noise to me. Noting about it I like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »

I'll second that. I think the last OSI and the first two Chroma Key are among the best releases of any DT related project. All Kevin Moore releases are worth a listen but especially those three.

Agreed.  No contest.  It's just a shame that KevMo doesn't even seem to be that interested in making music.   It's almost a crime that he's the most musically talented of anyone in the DT camp, and so disinterested in actually making music.  I like the first two CK albums and all the OSI stuff better than I like half of DT's material.   And DT's mid tier stuff is still some of the best music ever written.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »

Agreed.  No contest.  It's just a shame that KevMo doesn't even seem to be that interested in making music.  It's almost a crime that he's the most musically talented of anyone in the DT camp, and so disinterested in actually making music.  I like the first two CK albums and all the OSI stuff better than I like half of DT's material.   And DT's mid tier stuff is still some of the best music ever written.

I don't think I agree with the bolded part. Petrucci, Rudess and Mangini are, imo, much more musically talented than Moore.