Author Topic: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?  (Read 29753 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
Derek is an old-school keyboard player, but he seems a little too proud of that fact.  I saw a YouTube vid of him, I think it had to do with Black Country Communion, where he talked about having a real Hammond B-3 and some other classic keyboards, because you really need that to get the classic sounds.  I mostly agree with him, and to some extent understand him taking shots at Jordan and all his "gadgets".  I mean, I'm old-school too, and a lot of that stuff does strike me as gimmicky.

But he's also being a dick about it.  He takes his shots, and if you feel he goes too far, then he's just joking around, having fun, and you just don't get it.  And he uses that as carte blanche to say whatever he wants, which is lame.  Jordan is continually looking for new ways to make music, new sounds, new devices.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
Derek is an old-school keyboard player, but he seems a little too proud of that fact.  I saw a YouTube vid of him, I think it had to do with Black Country Communion, where he talked about having a real Hammond B-3 and some other classic keyboards, because you really need that to get the classic sounds.  I mostly agree with him, and to some extent understand him taking shots at Jordan and all his "gadgets".  I mean, I'm old-school too, and a lot of that stuff does strike me as gimmicky.

But he's also being a dick about it.  He takes his shots, and if you feel he goes too far, then he's just joking around, having fun, and you just don't get it.  And he uses that as carte blanche to say whatever he wants, which is lame.  Jordan is continually looking for new ways to make music, new sounds, new devices.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, I mean, I prefer a real piano, Hammond, Rhodes, clavinet, etc any day. Without getting too off topic, the only keyboards which I really feel nail all of these sounds in one box would be the stuff from Nord. And I mean really nail them; a lot of keyboards can give you good results but the Nords have fooled a lot of people.

Anyway, if some app on an iPad has good sounds, I don't see what the problem is. Plenty of people use software instruments on stage via a laptop and MIDI keyboard. I do feel like every so often Jordan gets a few new apps or weird devices to promote so he just randomly adds them to a song somewhere, and I don't think I'd buy any of those "gadgets" either but as you said at least he's trying something new and looking to create new sounds. Derek basically always uses the same couple of sounds all the time now. Yeah, I made a version of his lead on one of my synths and yeah it's fun to play with because of how guitar-like it can be, but that's all he does it seems.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
Now he has made it to Progsphere, dunno if this is relevant here.
https://www.prog-sphere.com/specials/sherinian-poking-rudess/
any rock can be made to roll

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
You know, thats not really a jab at JR. Because most modern prog. Bands are using ipads and keytars, Haken. Hence why he says he's keeping it old school. Plus, he said "my" so he may have a an iPad and keytar but doesn't utulize them. You never know.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
iPad = Jordan, I don't recall any prog rock/metal people using iPhones or iPads in their music prior to 2009, at least any moderately well known musicians
Keytar = Jordan's Zen Riffer
apps = Jordan has released a bunch of apps and fiddles with them (and makes new ones) all the time
gadgets = Continuum, possibly just another shot at the keytar/etc.

Just my take since Derek and Mike have made numerous references to DT recently (we should make Metropolis part 3, etc.) and... yeah. I totally think they're directed at JR, I bet behind the scenes Mike has told Derek a lot about the DT camp and his split.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
iPad = Jordan, I don't recall any prog rock/metal people using iPhones or iPads in their music prior to 2009, at least any moderately well known musicians
Keytar = Jordan's Zen Riffer
apps = Jordan has released a bunch of apps and fiddles with them (and makes new ones) all the time
gadgets = Continuum, possibly just another shot at the keytar/etc.

Just my take since Derek and Mike have made numerous references to DT recently (we should make Metropolis part 3, etc.) and... yeah. I totally think they're directed at JR, I bet behind the scenes Mike has told Derek a lot about the DT camp and his split.

MP seems to have a schizophrenic attitude these days , having said one thing one day and saying completely the contrary now. Back to topic, I have never liked DS's public persona , so his shots don't surprise me in the least.

B.Lee
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:17:03 PM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline DT2003

« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
There is absolutely no doubt that he’s talking about Jordan specifically.  Derek is incredibly jealous of Jordan and has made that very apparent lately.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:41:46 PM by DT2003 »

Offline pcs90

« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
Derek is incredibly jealous of Derek
Jealous of himself, now that's pretty bad! :lol

Offline DT2003

« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
Haha that’s why I usually read my posts before posting. Guess I missed that one.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2017, 11:48:40 AM »
Jordan now on Facebook:

I was speaking with with a young and talented musician from India about becoming a musician in the world we live in. Specifically about music competitions and how the concept of competition doesn’t really work when it comes to artists and their creative spirits.
Instead of a lot of words about the subject- I offer this:
Song for Sanjay

"This" is an improv piece played on a piano (not on an iPad).

Different styles, different attitudes...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Jordan now on Facebook:

I was speaking with with a young and talented musician from India about becoming a musician in the world we live in. Specifically about music competitions and how the concept of competition doesn’t really work when it comes to artists and their creative spirits.
Instead of a lot of words about the subject- I offer this:
Song for Sanjay

"This" is an improv piece played on a piano (not on an iPad).

Different styles, different attitudes...
That piece was beautiful. It's pretty obvious he's seen Derek's comments, and his response is about as classy as it gets.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »
As for me, I just lost all my respect for Derek  :tdwn

I lost my respect for Jordan a long time ago, so I don't really care
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
Just my take since Derek and Mike have made numerous references to DT recently (we should make Metropolis part 3, etc.)

Where was this? I want to read that  ;D
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2017, 01:48:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/XaG6BbAP5BY
Here is the link. They did a lot of references to DT during the interview knowing we were DT fan club.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »

What has Jordan done to lose your respect? Serious question. Jordan strikes me as one of the nicest guys you could possibly meet. I talked with him once too and he just oozes kindness and respect.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Yeah, no kidding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

What has Jordan done to lose your respect? Serious question. Jordan strikes me as one of the nicest guys you could possibly meet. I talked with him once too and he just oozes kindness and respect.

Yep, want to know that as well.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »

Yep, want to know that as well.

Me too!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
I think he's making reference to an old Black Clouds review to which Jordan responded something like 'stop overanalyzing things' (to noxon, I believe). They posted that a couple of pages ago in this thread.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
I think he's making reference to an old Black Clouds review to which Jordan responded something like 'stop overanalyzing things' (to noxon, I believe). They posted that a couple of pages ago in this thread.

Yeah, I guess that's the same as constantly talking shit about someone.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2017, 12:25:21 AM »

Yeah, I guess that's the same as constantly talking shit about someone.

No kidding : you take a one-off comment and equate it to a non-stop taking jab at someone?!? Well.....

B.Lee

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:43 AM »
Not to mention the fact that Jordan read my rebuttle, instantly realized he'd done goofed and apologized.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »

It was an online encounter I had with him once, he was outright pissy towards me, around the time before the Astonishing came out.

Not so sure I want to get into the specifics but he's too sensitive for his own good. I'm not really wanting to go bitching about him but I don't have the same respect I once had.
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2017, 04:48:32 AM »
Here is the link. They did a lot of references to DT during the interview knowing we were DT fan club.

Lol, this was sort of funny, you can tell they're not being too serious about it. Quite a stark contrast to the very blunt reaction to being asked about Metropolis pt 3 by a fanclub thing in 2005? 2003? Can't remember. Where he just looked very emotionless at the camera and said "no", no smile or anything  :mehlin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2017, 06:24:57 AM »

It was an online encounter I had with him once, he was outright pissy towards me, around the time before the Astonishing came out.

Not so sure I want to get into the specifics but he's too sensitive for his own good. I'm not really wanting to go bitching about him but I don't have the same respect I once had.

Specifics would help -- Jordan again seems like one of the nicest guys ever, to me, so I find it hard to believe he'd be 'outright pissy' towards a fan!

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2017, 08:25:49 AM »

Lol, this was sort of funny, you can tell they're not being too serious about it. Quite a stark contrast to the very blunt reaction to being asked about Metropolis pt 3 by a fanclub thing in 2005? 2003? Can't remember. Where he just looked very emotionless at the camera and said "no", no smile or anything  :mehlin

Lol I’ll never forget that
https://youtu.be/7DIaFsB2TIQ

Around the 2 minute mark

Offline Evai

« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
And then in the next question, he announces that James Labrie has no balls
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »

Specifics would help -- Jordan again seems like one of the nicest guys ever, to me, so I find it hard to believe he'd be 'outright pissy' towards a fan!

No one is perfect though - all of my encounters with Jordan he's been really nice and down to earth, but I'm sure even he has his moments every once in a while. We all do.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »

I really wish we had the specifics, though I can  understand why you wouldn't want to get into it. I almost never hear anyone having a bad experience with JR, whether in person or online so it's  just a bit interesting.

« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »

Lol, this was sort of funny, you can tell they're not being too serious about it.
That's why I posted that video: to show that Derek is definitely not serious about that. We sometimes chat on Messenger and he is really a funny guy and do not hesitate to poke fun at DT but it's just for the fun. He likes to be pushing buttons and to see how the fans react, like a child who's spitting at the crowd from a balcony and loves to see the people's reaction.
Imagine what would've happened if the "making history" video was released back in 1997 before FII was released and especially after it was released. We would've said that Derek was presomptious and he was not making history but the worst album in DT's history (it's definitely not my opinion but we all know how the majority of the fans reacted when it was released).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
He likes to be pushing buttons and to see how the fans react, like a child who's spitting at the crowd from a balcony and loves to see the people's reaction.

That's not a very flattering description for anybody to be given. Hope he likes it!

« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
Well, maybe I shouldn't have used the comparison with a child spitting ;) It works better with water bombs :D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
I've met Derek once, outside of a Black Label Society concert  (he was playing keys with them for a dvd shoot). He joking gave my buddy and I shit for wearing DT shirts (we didn't do it intentionally). Then chatted for a couple minutes and got a picture with us. Didn't get a negative vibe from him at all. Totally unexpected... made my night.

I really do hope most of the shit talking is just in jest.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
I really do hope most of the shit talking is just in jest.

Of course to him it's all for fun. I'd be surprised if he's harboring a 20 years old grudge but waited until now to unleash it. He doesn't realize the (relative) harm he may do, and that most of the times he's not that funny.

Also, it looks like it's everything he's saying. One or two good jokes... only the most stiff people would be annoyed by it. Taking shots at DT *every* time he tweets something... it gets old fast.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Yazman

« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2017, 01:58:47 AM »
No gadgets? God forbid a progressive metal band actually be progressive and innovative.