Author Topic: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?  (Read 29639 times)

Offline DT2003

Re: Sherinian poking fun at Jordan?
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »
Absolutely no good. He's actually turned a lot of people off by doing this, myself included. In all honesty it's been nothing but drama with this band from the beginning. Let's not forget how Mike teased this band months ago and then when fans started putting two and two together based on what members of this band posted on social media, Mike blasted the fans and shut down all talk/speculation of the band on his forum. Between that and all the crap going on now, my interest in this band has diminished greatly. That plus the fact that the music so far sounds nothing like they described.

Agreed on all parts but the music. I don't like it not because it's not prog but because I don't find it to be good music, or at least not to my liking. But I get where you're coming from : when you advertise something as prog metal, the songs released should at least be prog metal. Otherwise, it's a lie.

B.Lee

The thing is I actually do think the music is good. If we weren't sold that these guys were gonna be the new kings of Prog and all that, then I think the reception of the songs released might be different. And I know I haven't heard the whole album, but from what I've read from those who have, it doesn't sound like the rest of the album is all that different than what we've already heard.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Apparently Derek thinks Jordan is the only other keyboardist in the world.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2017, 01:27:04 PM »
Absolutely no good. He's actually turned a lot of people off by doing this, myself included. In all honesty it's been nothing but drama with this band from the beginning. Let's not forget how Mike teased this band months ago and then when fans started putting two and two together based on what members of this band posted on social media, Mike blasted the fans and shut down all talk/speculation of the band on his forum. Between that and all the crap going on now, my interest in this band has diminished greatly. That plus the fact that the music so far sounds nothing like they described.

Agreed on all parts but the music. I don't like it not because it's not prog but because I don't find it to be good music, or at least not to my liking. But I get where you're coming from : when you advertise something as prog metal, the songs released should at least be prog metal. Otherwise, it's a lie.

B.Lee

The thing is I actually do think the music is good. If we weren't sold that these guys were gonna be the new kings of Prog and all that, then I think the reception of the songs released might be different. And I know I haven't heard the whole album, but from what I've read from those who have, it doesn't sound like the rest of the album is all that different than what we've already heard.

Oh, OK, my bad then. And you're right, Noxon has said that the rest of the album was in the same vein. So, not my cup of tea at all.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »

I wonder if Mike realizes that Diego Tejeida (his current keyboard player for TSF) also uses an ipad and a keytar... on Mike’s shows
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DT2003

« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »
Bill Hubauer from NMB uses an iPad too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »

I wonder if Mike realizes that Diego Tejeida (his current keyboard player for TSF) also uses an ipad and a keytar... on Mike’s shows

Wow, lol.  I didn't even think of that.  Shame on Mike for not sticking up for his current bandmates.  I'd be pretty pissed if I were Diego and Bill.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »

Wow, lol.  I didn't even think of that.  Shame on Mike for not sticking up for his current bandmates.  I'd be pretty pissed if I were Diego and Bill.

But then he'll be defending something Dream Theater related and we can't have that.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
So, since Derek is talking about no fakery and real instruments, I guess we can expect a lot of actual acoustic piano from him throughout the Sons of Apollo album. I hope he'll use a Steinway...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »

Yeah, Diego uses the Seaboard live and recorded the solo on The Architect with GeoShred (an app by Jordan). So, apparently, Mike is ok with Derek mocking some of his current band members.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »
Sherinian probably still uses a VCR and a pager because new technology is clearly lame.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
Remember in the "Making of SFaM" studio video, at about 4:30 when MP goes downstairs to introduce JR and how ecstatic MP was?  I can't link the video cuz it's not officially released but it's easy enough to find.

Man, how times have changed.  How someone can turn their back on people that were basically family for so many years so quickly and so harshly is something I hope I never experience.

I remember the day MP made his announcement JR doing a gentle piano improv (can't find the video), with vocals even, about how it's sad but also it's ok if he felt he needed to move on... and now here we are.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
Sad thing is that during all the crap that was going on it seemed like Mike and Jordan still had a good relationship.  I wouldn't blame Jordan one bit if he wanted absolutely nothing to do with Mike now.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2017, 01:50:52 AM »
Jordan's latest on FB talks about learning and incorporating new styles... maybe Derek should heed that advice

Join me in my first Carnatic style, GeoShred lesson- part 1. I had the chance to sit down with the amazing Mahesh Raghvan and learn some awesome pitch bending! I love to learn and incorporate new styles of music in my playing and doing that is a key to originality!  (Tip of the day)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155153601147989&id=8717682988

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »
Jordan's latest on FB talks about learning and incorporating new styles... maybe Derek should heed that advice

Join me in my first Carnatic style, GeoShred lesson- part 1. I had the chance to sit down with the amazing Mahesh Raghvan and learn some awesome pitch bending! I love to learn and incorporate new styles of music in my playing and doing that is a key to originality!  (Tip of the day)

This could be a response to Derek, and a classy one at that.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2017, 06:32:28 AM »
So, since Derek is talking about no fakery and real instruments, I guess we can expect a lot of actual acoustic piano from him throughout the Sons of Apollo album. I hope he'll use a Steinway...
Well...he won't. But if you want to hear him playing a grand piano, check BCCIV, cool album.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2017, 06:53:35 AM »

This could be a response to Derek, and a classy one at that.

It is most definitely a response.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2017, 06:59:07 AM »
It is most definitely a response.

If it is then it's a really classy one....

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »
Well...he won't. But if you want to hear him playing a grand piano, check BCCIV, cool album.

Well, I guess I was a bit too subtle with my comment. :lol It was a reference to another keyboard player who played on a Steinway piano (a ''real'' instrument) to record his piano parts (which there are a lot) on his band's latest double concept album.

But thank you for the recomendation. I'll check it out!

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
What sucks about this is that JR is probably the closest to retiring from Dream Theater due to his age. Derek could have burned a bridge if he was asked to return to DT if Jordan decided to hang his keys up. Just for the record, this is all speculation on my part.

Apart from Derek, Diego Tejeida from Haken would be a suitable replacement once Jordan calls it a career.

Tony Bennett is still performing and is in his 90s.   Jordon loves music and will not be retiring any time soon from 'music'.  From DT, I have no idea.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
What sucks about this is that JR is probably the closest to retiring from Dream Theater due to his age. Derek could have burned a bridge if he was asked to return to DT if Jordan decided to hang his keys up. Just for the record, this is all speculation on my part.

Apart from Derek, Diego Tejeida from Haken would be a suitable replacement once Jordan calls it a career.

Tony Bennett is still performing and is in his 90s.   Jordon loves music and will not be retiring any time soon from 'music'.  From DT, I have no idea.

Jordan will never leave DT.  Mark my words, place bets, whatever...he is in it until the end.  DT as a whole might slow down in 5 years or so but Jordan will be the last keyboardist DT has.  He is only 60 for gods sake.  Doesn't appear to have any mobility problems.  I'm sure is making more money than he ever has and while I'm sure he probably invested in a retirement plan and royalties might be a nice supplement, I doubt he is willing to give up his income.  Alice Cooper is still touring like crazy and he is almost 70.  He may not have to do blazing keyboard solos but his concerts are still physically demanding.  He probably could afford to retire more than Jordan also. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
Also, when in interviews have Jordan ever hinted at quitting? Iron Maiden are still going strong and running around the stage, and they do acknowledge that time is passing and I've read a remark from Nicko McBrain "Can you imagine me playing Run to the Hills at 70?" - I haven't read anything like that from Jordan, ever. I'd like to share the Sheperd's optimism on this one.

And about Alice Cooper - he's got Mick Jagger in his sight. He said that he's six years older than him and when he quits, he knows he has 6 more years 'cause he doesn't want him to beat him at longevity  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »
Alice Cooper!! :metal

(Derek was in his band once upon a time)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2017, 01:31:33 PM »

True! He was on the tours for Trash and Hey Stoopid, and so he got, as part of his backing band, to star with him in Wayne's World.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »

True! He was on the tours for Trash and Hey Stoopid, and so he got, as part of his backing band, to star with him in Wayne's World.

Took this from the Sick Things UK fan site....
Alice on Derek from From Keyboard Magazine, January 1998:

What was it about Derek that made you want to hire him?

Alice: There are a few people in this world who were born rock stars,and he is one. He came out of the womb with his boots on. Derek understands pompous.

And his pomposity didn't rub you the wrong way?

Alice: No, not at all. I look for that in people. He understands how to be pompous at the right time. That's what real rock stars have got to learn: when to be pompous. He knew exactly how to stick his nose up when I'd introduce him. He was the Emperor Caligula of rock. But we didn't expect him to have the charisma he had. Especially offstage. He's a lot of fun,and a good poker player.

What about his keyboard abilities?

Alice: Derek's great. He's an asset to any band he's in. I mean,the thing about him is that he can play anything.

Whats your favorite memory of Derek from past tours?

Alice: He once pulled four twos on the bullet train from Japan, and won a huge poker pot. I'll always remember that day..... him jumping up on the very conservative bullet train, screaming that he'd pulled four twos, which is an awfully good hand in poker.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Looks like that ability to be pompous at the right time wore off with time...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »

Not really. He's got people talking about SoA. People could just ignore him and not comment. But yet, people can't stop, and thats what fuels his fire.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »

Not really. He's got people talking about SoA. People could just ignore him and not comment. But yet, people can't stop, and thats what fuels his fire.

...but not his wallet. 

Offline DT2003

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »

I think he's turned a lot more people off to the band then he's turned on to it.  I don't think anyone wants to hear this music more now because of what a dick Derek is being.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »
Agreed. He's certainly gotten the band more attention, but is it good attention? I really don't think so, at least for the most part.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »

I think he's turned a lot more people off to the band then he's turned on to it.  I don't think anyone wants to hear this music more now because of what a dick Derek is being.

Thats the bad side of social media. People like him just can't help but have fun with it by being a pompous butt.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2017, 05:28:22 AM »
Attention alone doesn't pay the bills.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
Attention alone doesn't pay the bills.

I said it in the SoA thread already, but I don't see a band of 50-year-olds being successful enough to earn that much money. And I will still be convinced of it even if the album is very good, because in the eyes of the people who could make them successful- that is other people than the ones who will buy because they're MP, DS...- they're just a bunch of has-beens. All this is of course just my humble opinion.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »
I think SOA has the potential to be more successful in the European/South American market than in North America. I really don't think they will break into the US market just because the US market is very different and less appealing in the prog/rock genres. If SOA plays festivals in Europe and has a few headliner shows and/or tags along as a supporting band for a bigger act, I think they will succeed (again, mainly in Europe). And I think that's what the band member names bring: a bit of a credibility to the band based on the names.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
I think SOA has the potential to be more successful in the European/South American market than in North America. I really don't think they will break into the US market just because the US market is very different and less appealing in the prog/rock genres. If SOA plays festivals in Europe and has a few headliner shows and/or tags along as a supporting band for a bigger act, I think they will succeed (again, mainly in Europe). And I think that's what the band member names bring: a bit of a credibility to the band based on the names.

I agree about the South American market, but I was thinking that it may have more potential in the US market than in the European market because I consider the album to be more "straight" metal that prog. Of course I have only listen the 2 songs they've realeased so I guess we'll see.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2017, 02:09:09 AM »

And I guess we can expect him bringing an actual Steinway on tour.

The dude is a keyboard player! One can even argue if a keyboard is actually a "fake" instrument. Not that I say so - but an iPad is an electronic device, just like a keyboard.
any rock can be made to roll