Author Topic: Greta Van Fleet  (Read 9381 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Greta Van Fleet
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2021, 07:08:18 PM »
Yeah, so this song is awesome and this album my surpass Gojira for my 2nd favorite release of 2021

Greta Van Fleet - Stardust Chords (Live)

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2023, 12:18:56 AM »
So I bought their new album and I think it’s their best album so far. Like it a lot.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2023, 08:12:10 AM »
I think the criticism Greta Van Fleet receives is unwarranted. Yes, they have a huge Zeppelin vibe. So what? Zeppelin was one of the best bands in the history of popular music. I absolutely loved The Battle at Garden's Gate. I bought Starcatcher, had it on in the background, but have yet to give it a deep listen.

Had tickets to see them, they postponed the show, and I couldn't make the rescheduled date, so as of yet, I haven't seen them live. Hoping that changes in 2024 or 2025. Great band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2023, 08:55:49 AM »
they just did a What's In My Bag?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22oEXsO9Zo

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2023, 09:15:21 AM »
I think the criticism Greta Van Fleet receives is unwarranted. Yes, they have a huge Zeppelin vibe. So what? Zeppelin was one of the best bands in the history of popular music. I absolutely loved The Battle at Garden's Gate. I bought Starcatcher, had it on in the background, but have yet to give it a deep listen.

Had tickets to see them, they postponed the show, and I couldn't make the rescheduled date, so as of yet, I haven't seen them live. Hoping that changes in 2024 or 2025. Great band.

Yeah, the criticism is a bit odd.  I aslo think they only really have one or two songs that sound like Zeppelin songs, but yeah, I think the singer and style fo the band is similar but who cares?  99% of bands wear their inspirations on their sleeve. Not sure why it's such a big deal here.  My only guess is that they have had incredible success early and people :cough: Steven Wilson :cough: are jealous of that.

I'd totally recommend seeing them live too.  Sucks it hasn't worked out for you yet, but when the time comes, you'll see for yourself just how good this band is.  I've seen them 5 times now and the 6th is this fall in NYC.  All those shows were incredible performances.

As for the new album, I have it but haven't given it listens yet.  Soon. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2023, 10:28:40 AM »

Yeah, the criticism is a bit odd.  I aslo think they only really have one or two songs that sound like Zeppelin songs, but yeah, I think the singer and style fo the band is similar but who cares?  99% of bands wear their inspirations on their sleeve. Not sure why it's such a big deal here.  My only guess is that they have had incredible success early and people :cough: Steven Wilson :cough: are jealous of that.

I'd totally recommend seeing them live too.  Sucks it hasn't worked out for you yet, but when the time comes, you'll see for yourself just how good this band is.  I've seen them 5 times now and the 6th is this fall in NYC.  All those shows were incredible performances.

As for the new album, I have it but haven't given it listens yet.  Soon.

I think it's the vocals.  I love Rival Sons (their new album is great, by the way) and musically, they are at LEAST as influenced as Zeppelin (some of the tiffs are straight off of Physical Graffiti) but Jay Buchanan doesn't quite sound like Plant as much as the kid from GVF does, so they get the criticism.  Both bands are excellent though. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2023, 10:33:46 AM »

Because bands like that make me feel like there's nothing new in rock, and the best thing to do is just completely rehash the past (even to the point of dressing, sounding, and acting like them). I get it, reissues are fun; nostalgia has its time and place. But I just can't get excited about it for too long.

I guess rock and roll has been "cruise ship entertainment" for a long time now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2023, 10:57:20 AM »

Because bands like that make me feel like there's nothing new in rock, and the best thing to do is just completely rehash the past (even to the point of dressing, sounding, and acting like them). I get it, reissues are fun; nostalgia has its time and place. But I just can't get excited about it for too long.

ut there's a fine line, though. I'm generally with you - why listen to the copies when you have the originals - but sometimes (and this is Rival Sons to me) they tap into something intangible.   I was driving from Rochester to home (5+ hours) and I put on Pressure and Time and Darkfighter from RS, and I had the window down, and it was primal.   I didn't really care if the riff was a slight variation on something else, in that moment it moved me.  I don't think everything has to be purely "original" to be able to connect.   

On that note, there hasn't really been anything "new" in rock since 1965, really.  Even the groundbreaking, legendary Beatles stuff was an offshoot of Dylan and the Beach Boys, just through a British filter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2023, 11:02:38 AM »

There's plenty of new things in rock, it's just not in this style or sound.  And as Stadler mentioned Rival Sons, there's plenty of "new" bands that are doing stuff that sounds like rock from the past. Rival Sons actually opened for GVF last fall. 

I really do wonder though if the haters have listened to a GVF album, vs. Highway Tune (their  first hit, which is the one song that sounds the most like LZ) because the full album is very musically interesting, to me at least.  Their last album, Battle at Gardens Gate is such a good album that goes way beyond just sounding like LZ. It was my album of the year and still holds very strong to me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2023, 11:27:55 AM »
Skeever,

Like Stads, I'm generally with you. But not in this case. They aren't cloning Zepp. They aren't copying. They are just playing and writing how they feel. There are similarities. It has happened through the history of music. My line is typically drawn when a band rips entire passages of songs off another band. That is not cool.

As my favorite songwriter and guitarist once said (paraphrase) "Nobody's original. Everyone is just uniquely derivative."

There's an organic feel to GVF that I really enjoy that gives me Zepp vibes. I dig it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2023, 11:40:26 AM »
The Tea Party sounds a fair amount like Zeppelin, but not to the point of almost copying songs or passages.

I've tried to recommend them to every one who is so into GVF, but rarely if ever do they say they checked The Tea Party out.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2023, 11:46:48 AM »
In full disclosure, I haven't listened to the album.
What I know about it is from singles where I heard it on the radar or in a store and thought, "Ah, Zep" only to find out that it wasn't later on.

I'll definitely take the posts above under advisement, and give both bands a listen soon.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »
The Tea Party sounds a fair amount like Zeppelin, but not to the point of almost copying songs or passages.

I've tried to recommend them to every one who is so into GVF, but rarely if ever do they say they checked The Tea Party out.

The Tea Party is a favorite of mine. Found out about them with Triptych. Been a fan ever since. Saw them on the Black River tour for the first time. Good comp to GVH. The Tea Party are a bit more refined and polished.