Author Topic: Greta Van Fleet  (Read 9302 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Greta Van Fleet
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »
Seemed if you had a high pitched voice, you were called a Zeppelin clone. Both of which Whitesnake and Great White definitely were NOT.
Zebra either.

Kingdom Come on the otherhand...

I did like Lenny Wolf a lot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »
Seemed if you had a high pitched voice, you were called a Zeppelin clone. Both of which Whitesnake and Great White definitely were NOT.
Zebra either.

Whitesnake definitely wasn't; but Great White flirted with disaster a little bit.  They had that "Recovery Live!" CD with Immigrant Song and Rock And Roll on it (and Jack Russell looking like a lunatic with the chain saw; little did I know he actually did time for shooting someone while whacked out on PCP).

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
Still Of The Night has some resemblance to Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love (the atmospheric middle part) but other than that they aren't Led Clones. And despite Plant claiming that Coverdale always tried to cover him, I don't really hear it. Early Whitesnake was more Deep Purple than Led Zep, later Whitesnake more (hair) metal.

Kingdom Come were definitely closer, but I still liked them.

Great Van Fleet are in a similar vein and clearly influenced by LZ, but what I heard didn't really wow me and featured only a small part of what made Led Zeppelin great.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2019, 08:49:03 AM »
Aside from the part in Still of the Night where the guitarist plays his instrument with a violin bow, I never thought Whitesnake sounded like LZ, and even that part doesn't sound a thing like Dazed and Confused or Kashmir, the two most famous "Jimmy Page playing his guitar with a violin bow" moments.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »
I always get Coverdale and Sammy Hagar mixed up when I hear their songs on the radio. Plant isn't even in the picture.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 01:30:12 AM »
Zebra either.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Any time a male singer dared to sing above baritone for an extended period, the inevitable Plant comparisons would ensue as if he had a patent on the tenor range. As for Kingdom Come, they did bring the comparison on themselves with that Kashmir-ish progression during the verses of "Get It On" and some of Lenny's vocal phrasing, but overall, I'm not sure I'd call them a clone band. They had many other songs that were stylistically different than Zeppelin.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:36 AM »
Been listening to Anthem of the peaceful army a lot. Really love this album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
Been listening to Anthem of the peaceful army a lot. Really love this album.

Yup, played it for my brother the other day and he thought it sounded like Rush and enjoyed it as well

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
Yeah there's a big early Rush vibe on that album, I dig it. Might have to break it out tonight 'cause I haven't heard it in a couple months. Hope they're working on a second album!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
They played locally a week ago, it sold out instantly and tickets on the secondary market were running like $150 for GA and I really don't like that venue (Stone Pony Summer Stage) so I wasn't going to that for that price, but they are playing in Queens tonight in a small stadium (looks like a stadium for tennis) for a much more reasonable price, $60 for a seat.  I was on the edge for this, but it's beautiful out so heading out to go catch them play now outdoors :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:07 PM »
I've been listening to them A LOT lately. Specifically Anthem of the peaceful army. I really love that album. Age of man and brave new world are always in my head.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2019, 08:12:58 PM »
So their concert last weekend was pretty awesome.  They didn't sell out, but really packed the 14k capacity Forest Hills Stadium.  I got a last row ticket from a scalper for just under face value before the show.  They went on early, at 8pm before sun down and the singer said they wanted to perform during the transition from day to night, which is pretty cool.  They opened with Wild Thing, which I'm not sure they had done before.  Pretty cool coming out like that and then went right into the Cold Wind which felt appropriate, it was a really nice day but had become very windy in the evening and being where I was, you really felt that cold wind blowing and it's often heard in my videos making the audio shittier than it should be.  Anyway, their set was solid.  I wish they played a couple more songs, but they had some jams and whatnot to extend songs and keep them entertaining.  I eventually had enough of the cold wind and snuck onto the floor for the last few songs which was pretty fun.  Thought the singer sounded great and the band was tight overall.  I don't think they've really done their own headline show in a stadium like this before either and you could kind of tell.  The stage was huge and yet their set up was super small for it and the band never really strayed from each other so it kind of felt like they were playing to a smaller crowd than the reality.  It'll be interesting to see how they grow and evolve from here, but I've been amazed by the female support of comments on my videos.  It's clear from my experience, they've got a large female fan base.

Greta Van Fleet LIVE @ Forest Hills Stadium Queens NY 5/25/19

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2019, 05:42:47 AM »
Marc, I've watched a couple of your vids from the show. I'm not into them, and don't see that changing, but holy crap, what a turn out. The whole scene looked amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
Marc, I've watched a couple of your vids from the show. I'm not into them, and don't see that changing, but holy crap, what a turn out. The whole scene looked amazing.

I'll have to post my panoramic picture later when I get home, it was really a big turn out. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
Glad these guys are having some success. I don't know why they are picked on for channeling Zeppelin. I mean, The Struts are another big band coming on lately, and they channel The Rolling Stones and Queen. Every band emulates their influences. Hell, all those 70s bands emulated stuff that came before them at first.

DT was called a Rush clone back in the day. Queensryche was called an Iron Maiden/Priest ripoff at first. You have to give bands a chance to grow and develop, which is, I know, something that doesn't happen much these days, sadly.

Greta Van Fleet seems like a young, hungry band who has a lot of talent, and a knack for writing a catchy melody and hook. Looking forward to seeing where their career goes.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »
^^ Heck, Rush was deemed a Led Zeppelin clone with their self-titled debut and then they went all weird and had Neil do the lyric-writing and it worked out for the best.  I do want to see if Greta Van Fleet can go beyond the reputation of being a "Zeppelin" clone and do something to challenge that perception.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
^^ Heck, Rush was deemed a Led Zeppelin clone with their self-titled debut and then they went all weird and had Neil do the lyric-writing and it worked out for the best.  I do want to see if Greta Van Fleet can go beyond the reputation of being a "Zeppelin" clone and do something to challenge that perception.

I feel like they sound like LZ, but my brother says they sound like Rush.  I just think they wear their influences on their sleeve.  Their original, although similar, music is really good stuff.  I just think it's nice to see people really enjoying rock music again.  I feel like that's a rare thing these days and instead of harping on who they sound like we should support them to grow and bring more fans to the genre.  I got to imagine most of the young people going to see GVF probably aren't even that familiar wtih the bands they sound like, maybe these people end up buying LZ albums and whatnot. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
I think one main difference between GVF and Rush or DT or whatever, is their level of popularity along with their level as a band.

When DT was called a Rush clone, and Rush was deemed a whatever clone, they were NOT very popular whatsoever. They did not get very popular until they started finding their own voice.

Greta Van Fleet is becoming VERY popular sounding like Led Zeppelin. Their managers and record company overlords will likely not give them much leeway in finding their own voice. Which is a shame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Greta Van Fleet is becoming VERY popular sounding like Led Zeppelin. Their managers and record company overlords will likely not give them much leeway in finding their own voice. Which is a shame.

I feel like this is a rare time where I am seeing a band who is super young just blow up in this scene and I really hope what you said doesn't become true.  I'd hate to see this band go south because of shitty management.  But I also think of things like ego and three brothers and one friend, like are these guys going to be able to keep it together long term?  It will be interesting to see, I do hope the record label stays out of their music, but we all know how that goes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2019, 09:07:23 AM »
Looks like they are opening for Metallica during their South American leg, that's an interesting match up but pretty cool if you ask me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2019, 06:40:53 AM »
Saw them live last night.

Overall really good, but one one complaint is they stretched out the last 20 seconds of almost every single song and it was driving me insane. And it wasn't anything all that special, it was just teasing the ending to get the crowd to scream more. That's cool and everything to end a show or open a show, but it was like every god damn song and jesus, did it get old. It made the concert drag and by the end I was ready to go.

On a positive note, it is nice to see a band 100% in their prime, still giving 100% and full of energy.
And the Dude's voice is mental, and his ability to redline it for 2 hours strait is very impressive.

The vibe I got from how they were playing is that they are itching to do something more progressive on the next album, specifically with the new song? Black Flag exposition. A Longer more complex song and also more darker tone, which I am 100% down for.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2019, 08:21:08 AM »
I was at the show last night, too.  It started off with some great Philly cheese steak for me and my wife at a local establishment.  Even the opener was enjoyable to watch and listen to.  And, GVF was great.  I never went back and watched that SNL performance everyone crucified them for.  But, it must've been an off-night.  Or, they've gotten WAY better.  Because, they were on fire last night. 

They did stretch out virtually every song's ending.  The only time it really bothered me was when it turned into a drum solo.  You don't do that with the LAST SONG (or maybe it was the 2nd to last, I can't recall for sure).  To make matters worse, they had him backlit.  So, he was indistinguishable in the light to see what the heck he was doing.  Actually, that happened a lot where whoever was soloing was washed out in the stage lighting (no spotlights) and you couldn't see him.

As for the band itself, the players were great!  Josh's voice was spot-on all night long.  While I'm not the biggest fan of all his Plant mannerisms, he was incredible.  The guy has some killer pipes.  And, Jake's guitar playing was pretty sick.  One of the highlights for me was watching Sam when he was behind the keyboards.  Watching his feet go off on the bass pedals as he played the keys was awesome.

A few seats over from me in the upper balcony, there was a girl (probably in her mid-20's) going OFF, standing up, waving her arms and emphatically singing along with every song.  She didn't let up all show long.  It was great to see at a show.

Overall, it was a pretty good night for rock and roll. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »

They did stretch out virtually every song's ending.  The only time it really bothered me was when it turned into a drum solo.  You don't do that with the LAST SONG (or maybe it was the 2nd to last, I can't recall for sure).

I agree a million percent. I almost screamed. That is the worst place in a set to put a drum solo and he aint no Neil Peart. And even if it was some world class drummer, I still wouldn't have been down for it. Encore is the time to wrap it up and bring it home guys.

One thing that didn't help was that I did general admission. I need to seriously stop doing that. You are so packed in and there's no escape. You leave to go get a drink and you lose your spot and I was dying for some water. So there was a strong sense of feeling trapped and wanting to get out.

But it was a kick ass show none the less.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2019, 09:18:19 AM »
Glad you all enjoyed it, I had to sell my ticket yesterday because I've been sick and couldn't make it. Setlist.fm shows it as the same set they've been doing so I guess I didnt miss much at least, I thought being the second night and last show of the year that maybe they'd do something special like when they opened with Wild Thing at their biggest headlining show back in May that I went to in Queens.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »
One thing that didn't help was that I did general admission. I need to seriously stop doing that. You are so packed in and there's no escape. You leave to go get a drink and you lose your spot and I was dying for some water. So there was a strong sense of feeling trapped and wanting to get out.

Considering I was up in the mezzanine and my wife bought the tix, I didn't even realize it had a GA floor until the show was over and we were at the merch booth.  Overall, it was a pretty cool venue.  Kinda reminded me of NYC's Hammerstein Ballroom.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
The Met Philly is beautiful, only seen one show there since it re-opened and really enjoyed it.  I had GA for that show and it wasn't sold out so not too badly packed but I can imagine for last night it was probably tight.  I typically like chilling in the back of GA anyway, there's a slight rise at the back of the floor so you can see above everyone and then not worry if you need a bathroom or drink break.

Also looks like my youtube "rival" (I love calling him that, this guy blows anything I put out away) was at the show and pretty much recorded the whole thing (as separate songs).  I don't know how this guy is at like every concert in the area and always has top notch quality videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_zdbwdh4c

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
Hey, Phoenix... did the singer's stage presence come off as stiff and somewhat robotic to you?  I can understand it when he's singing.  But, when he's marching around on stage, he looks awkward and not always in sync with the music.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »
Hey, Phoenix... did the singer's stage presence come off as stiff and somewhat robotic to you?  I can understand it when he's singing.  But, when he's marching around on stage, he looks awkward and not always in sync with the music.

It was a little on the awkward side, but I definitely appreciated his enthusiasm. He's still pretty young so I figure he become more comfortable with as time goes on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »
New song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGkTzk6SdKs

Weird music video, trying to pull off that 70s vibe a bit too much but it just looks cheesy.  We get it, you guys are high :lol not a terrible song though, but nothing remarkable.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2020, 12:34:20 AM »
I enjoyed both song and video. Be nice to be that age again.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2020, 07:37:06 AM »
Hmm, I thought I posted in this thread a while back, but I guess not.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2020, 08:35:35 AM »
New track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0JElRGazOM&feature=youtu.be

:metal

Not crazy about the song, but I like how they are all together in the same room playing unlike a lot of the split screen stuff you see these days (which I understand given the pandemic) but just saying it's nice to see them all together.  I mean it's three brothers and their friend so no surprise they are all sticking around together during this. 

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2021, 02:40:46 PM »
Well I blind-bought their new album because the package/cover looked nice (derp) and I gotta say it’s actually pretty good. Broken Bells is a genuinely great song. Never thought I’d have anything positive to say about this band.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:54:02 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2021, 08:01:25 AM »
Well I blind-bought their new album because the package/cover looked nice (derp) and I gotta say it’s actually pretty good. Broken Bells is a genuinely great song. Never thought I’d have anything positive to say about this band.

I really like the new album.  It's very strong IMO.  I didn't love the singles before the release, but they are really growing on me as well.  The back half of the new album was what really sold me.