Author Topic: Greta Van Fleet  (Read 9305 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Greta Van Fleet
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 01:34:56 PM »
Gotta give SW props for saying it like it is. This band being popular is great proof you don't need to be good or original to have success.

So Steven Wilson is a genius? Since when has this been news?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Gotta give SW props for saying it like it is. This band being popular is great proof you don't need to be good or original to have success.

So Steven Wilson is a genius? Since when has this been news?

No he's not. He's a pretty good progressive rock musician who definitely could be hit back with this argument himself (though to a lesser extent) as he has borrowed elements in his music too, but he is 100% right in everything he said. Terrible band - check. Shamelessly ripping off a band nowhere near the same level - check. Forgotten in 10 years - no way to tell yet but probably yes.

Could have been a Nickelback member saying these quotes and I would have said "yeah thats correct". :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »
Two highly subjective opinions there. He is not 100% right.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
Okay, I get it, but humor me: why should originality have ANYTHING to do with success? Success is determined entirely by the perception of the audience, and it seems like they're doing fine in that regard. If people enjoy it, who really cares if it's "original"? Almost everything has already been done before. It is incredibly, exceedingly difficult to make music that is actually new and pushes things forward. I see a lot of hate for Greta Van Fleet on my social media from people who listen to 300 new metal bands a year that do absolutely nothing new.

As someone who thinks making throwback music isn't the worst thing in the world, this kind of defeatist mentality in bold is something I don't jive with.

I'm sure music listeners in decades past have thought the same thing, yet look where we are now. It's only this type of mindset that sets the progression of art backwards and hinders growth.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »

Whether you agree with him or not, SW has always had strong opinions on bands that mimic other bands. It's a general sentiment I can agree with but then sometimes it comes back to bite him, like when he was bashing a lot of quite popular prog bands (i believe transatlantic, flower kings) saying they were everything that was wrong with progressive rock because they went backwards for inspiration instead of forward, but then he put out Raven a year later and it was essentially a homage to 70s prog rock.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »
Okay, I get it, but humor me: why should originality have ANYTHING to do with success? Success is determined entirely by the perception of the audience, and it seems like they're doing fine in that regard. If people enjoy it, who really cares if it's "original"? Almost everything has already been done before. It is incredibly, exceedingly difficult to make music that is actually new and pushes things forward. I see a lot of hate for Greta Van Fleet on my social media from people who listen to 300 new metal bands a year that do absolutely nothing new.

As someone who thinks making throwback music isn't the worst thing in the world, this kind of defeatist mentality in bold is something I don't jive with.

I'm sure music listeners in decades past have thought the same thing, yet look where we are now. It's only this type of mindset that sets the progression of art backwards and hinders growth.

It is not a defeatest mentality to point out how difficult it is to be original, and it also doesn't hinder growth to point it out either.

Whether you agree with him or not, SW has always had strong opinions on bands that mimic other bands. It's a general sentiment I can agree with but then sometimes it comes back to bite him, like when he was bashing a lot of quite popular prog bands (i believe transatlantic, flower kings) saying they were everything that was wrong with progressive rock because they went backwards for inspiration instead of forward, but then he put out Raven a year later and it was essentially a homage to 70s prog rock.

I don't think it does any favors for the stereotype that prog rock musicians/fans are music snobs especially about mainstream acts, which is something I'm a bit surprised Steven Wilson himself isn't apparently aware of (or perhaps he just doesn't care, which is more likely).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:05:27 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
I dont get why they got so popular.

They're alright. Not my cup of tea. They're really hardcore with the '70s style though. Even going for the look.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2019, 04:48:44 PM »
Just on the idea that lots of bands aren't 100% forward thinking, etc.

I can't speak to Porcupine Tree's first few albums. Never heard them.

But when an artist is inspired by certain things and incorporates those sounds (be they 70's, 80's, whatever) into his/her music, that is one thing. When a band just sounds EXACTLY like bands from a certain decade or style that is long established, and have began their career in that sound, it's a different thing.

You can grow by incorporating older elements into your sound. But then you just create your sound out of older sounds only, it's not forward thinking at all.

Not saying it's a bad thing, or that no one else does it. Plenty do. But it's very different than paying homage or something when you're already established.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
Have ya'll even listened to their album? Age of Man doesn't sound a damn thing like Led Zeppelin.

(EDIT: I agree with most of the points in your post there, Adami. I just think you're arguing something that isn't fully applicable to Greta Van Fleet. It's disingenuous to dismiss them as nothing but a Zeppelin carbon copy.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:12:16 PM by Kattelox »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »
Have ya'll even listened to their album? Age of Man doesn't sound a damn thing like Led Zeppelin.

I got that song in my roulette this round! Definitely not Led Zeppelin. I can vouch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »
:corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »

(EDIT: I agree with most of the points in your post there, Adami. I just think you're arguing something that isn't fully applicable to Greta Van Fleet. It's disingenuous to dismiss them as nothing but a Zeppelin carbon copy.)

Not sure I ever typed Zeppelin.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »

Not sure I ever typed Zeppelin.

Like I already said, I agree with what you're saying in that post, I just don't think it's 100% applicable to Greta Van Fleet because there's more to the group than their alleged clone nature. All that matters at the end of the day is that they make music people like, just like any other artist out there.

Online Adami

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
Of course. I'm glad people like them. They're talented kids. Nice to see it's paying off for them. I was just explaining why 1) I don't like them very much and 2) why their sound isn't the same as simply not being 100% original all the time. That's all. Not saying they're bad or that people shouldn't like them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »
The few songs I've heard scream " we want to be Led Zeppelin", but they weren't bad. Nothing that deserves an award though, and nothing that makes me want to keep listening.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2019, 01:20:12 AM »
I am going to repost what I posted under a music video of theirs, to demonstrate how I feel about this band:

They sound a lot like Led Zeppelin, yes (duh), but then again, Led Zeppelin also sounded like a lot of older artists. BUT, GVF only sounds like the more basic/easy rock tunes by Led Zeppelin, far away from their real masterpieces Kashmir, Stairway, In The Light, Achilles. But their stuff is still awesome. And at least, real music made by real musicians with real instruments is going viral again. So, in conclusion, I have no idea how to feel about this band.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 06:32:21 AM »
I don't think it does any favors for the stereotype that prog rock musicians/fans are music snobs especially about mainstream acts, which is something I'm a bit surprised Steven Wilson himself isn't apparently aware of (or perhaps he just doesn't care, which is more likely).

Bingo.

Online Adami

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2019, 07:05:56 AM »
This is also a problem when a rock band (or any band that writes their own stuff) gets a lot of popularity before/around the time of their first album.

They haven't really been around long enough to truly develop their sound or find themselves. Most bands get popularity around 3 or so albums in, sometimes even later. These guys are being judged as kids who are still finding themselves. And sadly labels will likely pressure them to just stay with their current sound because it's what made them popular, stymying their ability to really grow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2019, 07:50:23 AM »
This is also a problem when a rock band (or any band that writes their own stuff) gets a lot of popularity before/around the time of their first album.

This for sure, SW reads like someone jealous of their success and well, there's good reason to be.  I understand that and it plays a role in many people's dislike of them.  They have't "earned it" but that's the way life works sometimes.  They caught a break when others did not. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »

This for sure, SW reads like someone jealous of their success and well, there's good reason to be.  I understand that and it plays a role in many people's dislike of them.  They have't "earned it" but that's the way life works sometimes.  They caught a break when others did not.

SW being jealous of anyone's success is his own issue.  I'm a prog guy - even the other genres I like like metal are better when they have an element of prog in them - and I have a hard time with Wilson's material.  The only Wilson work I really like is Fish's "Sunsets On Empire".   I do believe that bands/artists generally get the level of success they "deserve", and so him being jealous says more about him than it does Greta Van Fleet. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
I don't think Steven Wilson is "jealous", his music and general attitude has always been pretty contrarian. For better or worse, a lot of his artistic vision along the line seems to have been a reaction to things he did not like about the overall rock scene. He has always been open about things he did not like at a given time - other bands, production styles, even listening format - and his own music has always tried to provide an alternative to those thing, even if Wilson later embraced them (like having his music on Spotify). I agree with him about GVF though, there's not much to like and thinking about them just makes me sad that hard rock is now just another nostalgia genre.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Finally checked this band out and they sure do sound like Zeppelin knockoffs.  Not sure how anyone could listen to Safari Song and Highway Tune and think they aren't trying to sound exactly like Zeppelin.

That aside, I get why they are popular, as this is like throwing red meat to the portion of the masses who, believe it or not, are still craving mainstream hard rock.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 03:54:40 AM »
I still haven't gotten around to listening to GVF so I can't really comment on them being Zeppelin knock-offs or not yet, but if they are and that's the music they enjoy creating then good luck to them. Every band/artist has to start somewhere, and mimicking your idols is generally where most will begin.

I did however have to comment on Wilsons stuff, I'm a fan of Steven Wilson although I do admit I have to be in the mood to listen to him and some of the Porcupine Tree stuff did take a while to click for me. I just find his comments to be really bad form,

I made a similar comment to this on a facebook post earlier but I think considering his own little rants at concerts about how people who didn't enjoy his 'pop' stuff were musical snobs and also ranting about how 'kids these days' don't know what an electric guitar is, him having a go at a young band that clearly have a passion for it does smack of hypocrisy.

They're not exempt from criticism by any means and everyone is entitled to an opinion but I think just straight up attacking them like he did does him no favours and makes him look a tad silly.

EDIT: Finally started to check them out, Safari song definitely does sound like Zeppelin but *shrug*, it sounds good to me. I'm into it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:45:08 AM by jcmoorehead »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
True, good music is good music, and while it sounding too much like another band can be a bit oft-putting at first, I can usually get past it, even the music holds up and is good enough.  We'll see if this band passes the smell test in that regard.

As for SW's comments, he is British.  A bit of cheekiness is to be expected. :P

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
True, good music is good music, and while it sounding too much like another band can be a bit oft-putting at first, I can usually get past it, even the music holds up and is good enough.  We'll see if this band passes the smell test in that regard.

As for SW's comments, he is British.  A bit of cheekiness is to be expected. :P

Yeah, I can definitely understand why it might be off putting to some. Especially when it comes to a band like Zeppelin in which people do have this really strong emotional connection. Zeppelin were a force, they were huge and helped pave the road for hard rock, so when a new band comes along and sounds like them I can see why people would have a fairly negative reaction.

I do really like what I'm hearing from this first EP though, it is incredibly Zeppelin like which is fine by me. I like Zeppelin so I like this too. it's not bad to my ears. As you say though, whether or not they can build or remain consistently good with it remains to be seen. I like to be optimistic and hope they will.

Haha, see i'm the opposite with my form of Britishness, i'm too polite to be overly critical. I'm always trying to find something good to say  :laugh:

Haha, that is true as well. See I'm the complete opposite, I'm British and can't find it within myself to be nasty about stuff like that  :laugh:

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »

They haven't really been around long enough to truly develop their sound or find themselves. Most bands get popularity around 3 or so albums in, sometimes even later. These guys are being judged as kids who are still finding themselves. And sadly labels will likely pressure them to just stay with their current sound because it's what made them popular, stymying their ability to really grow.

Agreed. My biggest complaint about GFV is not the comparison to Zeppelin (other than their sometimes denial of it in interviews... c'mon). but rather the lack of diversity in their sound. I have the two CDs on my iPod and listening to both albums back-to-back, it simply gets kinda boring after a while. Kinda like listening to AC/DC or The Ramones for an extended period. Everything starts to sound the same. I can see exactly what you are saying Adami and that could end up being a long-term issue with GVF...

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »

They're alright. Not my cup of tea. They're really hardcore with the '70s style though. Even going for the look.

I like their music. The LZ comparison isn't a bad thing IMO. However, do you really think mainstream media would be promoting this band if they were 35+ and looked like Lemmy (RIP). They are good looking guys, barely old enough to legally drink, and IMO they are for the youth fanbase. Not a 51 year old like me. And that's not a bad thing if younger people start enjoying music of a better, let's just say, quality.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »

I like their music. The LZ comparison isn't a bad thing IMO. However, do you really think mainstream media would be promoting this band if they were 35+ and looked like Lemmy (RIP). They are good looking guys, barely old enough to legally drink, and IMO they are for the youth fanbase. Not a 51 year old like me. And that's not a bad thing if younger people start enjoying music of a better, let's just say, quality.

Yeah, nope.  :) :) :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
70s fashion didn't even look good in the 70s. "What's he wearing?" "A sofa."

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2019, 06:37:13 AM »

I can't help but wonder if there are any Greta Van Fleet fans who shit on the likes of Kingdom Come, Whitesnake, and Great White for being "Zeppelin clones" back in the '80s.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2019, 07:18:32 AM »

I can't help but wonder if there are any Greta Van Fleet fans who shit on the likes of Kingdom Come, Whitesnake, and Great White for being "Zeppelin clones" back in the '80s.

GVF fan and I'm looking forward to seeing Whitesnake soon, David's voice is pretty much garbage these days but I'd like to see them in a smaller venue doing a full set.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »

GVF fan and I'm looking forward to seeing Whitesnake soon, David's voice is pretty much garbage these days but I'd like to see them in a smaller venue doing a full set.

Was thinking EXACTLY the same thing about Whitesnake.   

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »

I'll say something that's fitting for the controversial opinion thread - in their prime, Lenny Wolf, David Coverdale, and Jack Russell were all better live singers than Plant. I saw Whitesnake and Great White together, and while Whitesnake was good, Great White was fucking flawless.

I also remember Zebra being thrown into the mix of "Zeppelin-esque" bands, and I never understood it. Granted, Randy Jackson did play in a Zeppelin tribute band, but Zebra sounded absolutely nothing like Zeppelin to me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 03:53:18 AM »

I'll say something that's fitting for the controversial opinion thread - in their prime, Lenny Wolf, David Coverdale, and Jack Russell were all better live singers than Plant. I saw Whitesnake and Great White together, and while Whitesnake was good, Great White was fucking flawless.

I also remember Zebra being thrown into the mix of "Zeppelin-esque" bands, and I never understood it. Granted, Randy Jackson did play in a Zeppelin tribute band, but Zebra sounded absolutely nothing like Zeppelin to me.

I don't know about "better than Plant" - he's a rock god for a reason - but you don't have to sell me on Jack Russell.  The dude is fucked up, but he owns a voice from the heavens.  I just got his solo record - "For You" - and his band is out of this world (Bob Kulick, Tony Levin, Billy Sherwood, and Vinnie Colaiuta).  I just wish the songs - written by Kulick, Sherwood and Russell - were a shade better. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 06:22:30 AM »
Seemed if you had a high pitched voice, you were called a Zeppelin clone. Both of which Whitesnake and Great White definitely were NOT.
Zebra either.

Kingdom Come on the otherhand...