Author Topic: Greta Van Fleet  (Read 9304 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Greta Van Fleet
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
I may be late to the party, but...What. The. Fuck?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXdM1rqSlSQ

These kids are like 18-19 years old.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Greta Van Fleet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
Thank God, someone else loves these guys too. I made a thread about them back in May and I think the only comment was about Greta Van Sustren.

These guys are talented. The Led Zeppelin comparisons are inevitable and even they have tried to shy away from it, but these guys have a bright future. Catchy riffs and great vocals make for some great listening. Highway Tune is my favorite track from them
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
Agreed. The Zep comparison is so strong it's almost gimmicky. Almost. But it's not. It's familiar and fresh. And I read something earlier where they said LZ is only a small influence compared to so much other early blues influences. But they're very good, and will be swimming in pussy for a long time I'm sure.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »
I've been hearing a lot of Highway Tune on a radio station I listen to often.  The Led Zeppelin-like sound in that is very evident, but in this day and age, it's quite refreshing and probably more refreshing now to have that sort of sound than say 1979 or something like that.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Someone posted about these guys several months ago over at MP.com. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. Astonishingly good debut. And yes, one of those opening screams (I don't recall which song off the top of my head) could quite easily have been Robert Plant from years gone by.

We were gutted to be in the US on holiday a couple of weeks ago when they played a date over here.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:29:28 PM »
Someone posted about these guys several months ago over at MP.com. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. Astonishingly good debut. And yes, one of those opening screams (I don't recall which song off the top of my head) could quite easily have been Robert Plant from years gone by.

We were gutted to be in the US on holiday a couple of weeks ago when they played a date over here.

My first impression of them was, "Did someone find the tapes of a band that Robert Plant was in that nobody knew and release a single for the public to hear?"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:11:31 AM »
When is their full length debut coming out? The 4 songs on Spotify are good but I need me a full album, these guys rule. I'm in the club that found them thanks to that MPForum thread. Even my coworkers like these guys and they never like music I find :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
Agreed. The Zep comparison is so strong it's almost gimmicky. Almost. But it's not. It's familiar and fresh. And I read something earlier where they said LZ is only a small influence compared to so much other early blues influences. But they're very good, and will be swimming in pussy for a long time I'm sure.

I really like these guys, but the bolded is a concern for me, they are really toeing the line of a Zep gimmick for me. I look forward to them releasing more music that maybe stretches out from the Zep sound a bit.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
Had a buddy put me on to these guys last month, and I've heard them on heavy rotation on the 'hard-rock' radio station around here.  Very nice EP for sure.  Am looking forward to a full-on follow up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
Had a buddy put me on to these guys last month, and I've heard them on heavy rotation on the 'hard-rock' radio station around here.  Very nice EP for sure.  Am looking forward to a full-on follow up.

Wikipedia tells me they're planning to release 2 more EPs which will make up a whole album's worth of music. I hope they just release a full length instead (unless they're planning to combine all the EPs into one album?). These guys could headline with just that, they're that good. Crazy that they just graduated high school. I feel old...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
I've seen this band name pop up here and there, and just today a local concert venue announced they are playing in May.  I had no idea what to expect but listened to one song on youtube and immediately thought LZ  (like others) but that doesn't stop my enjoyment, some pretty cool tunes.  I might have to check them out further and even go to the show.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 11:51:21 PM »
These kids are talented as hell. Yeah, they have a huge Zeppelin sound now, but once they grow into their own, they're gonna be really great, I think. Looking forward to hearing more from them.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 12:07:27 AM »
Timely thread bump because this popped up on Blabbermouth today

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/greta-van-fleet-recording-debut-album/
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 06:36:17 PM »
Saw them yesterday and they may have had the biggest crowd and best performance of the show from the 9 bands at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas.  Thought they sounded tight and the singer's voice was just so powerful.  Now I get what everyone is talking about with this band.

Greta Van Fleet - Edge of Darkness LIVE @ KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas 2018 LA Forum 12/8/18

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
Great video Cram!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
I like Greta Van Fleet. My wife bought the EP that came before this latest record (which we haven't got yet -- gonna have to fix that). They certainly have channeled Zeppelin, but I really enjoy the energy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
https://metalheadzone.com/prog-rock-legend-slams-greta-van-fleet-for-being-led-zeppelin-imitation/

Saw this pop up in my mobile Chrome suggestions and figured I'd see what this band is about. I've seen their name but never gave them any mind, especially since their logo was very derivative (cuz everyone is using that Stephen King book font), but after reading this snippet from Steven Wilson and watching the video at the bottom of the article, I'm a bit curious about this band.

It's been awhile since a new classic rock-inspired hard rock band has hit the scene with such a sound, and they have already won a Grammy for their 2nd EP. Has anyone listened to their debut album that came out last October? What are your thoughts? I haven't given new bands much of a chance in recent years, but these guys seem worth checking out...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
I love the song Age of Man

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
I love the song Age of Man

When I got the album, I thought this was my least favorite song and poor way to start the album, I've since come around on it, but still find it near the bottom of my song rankings.  But that's just because this is a very strong rock album IMO.  Yes, it sounds like bands before them, but it's very good music.  I love the 2nd song, The Cold Wind, I feel like that should have started the album.  I defintiely get a "Good Times Bad Times" vibe from this song, but it's rockin and has a nice short but sweet instrumental break.

One thing I disagree with SW is that they have the image.  They do not.  They look ridiculous.  I think their music is so strong it overcomes how ridiculous these kids look.  I can't say I care too much about his opinions otherwise, SW kind of comes off as a grumpy dude so him being negative to a much younger successful band that does something that SW himself likely loved as a kid is going to breed some negativity.  He's not totally wrong either.  I enjoy GVF's music, but you can't ignore their similarity to LZ.  We will see what the next 10 years brings.  Part of me thinks he might be right, they wont be around, but I think it'll be because of the pressure and negativity surrounding them because some people can't just grasp the idea of a rock band that doesn't play what they like is having success.  These guys got famous real quick and I could bet it gets to them and they break down sometime.  They just cancelled their euro tour cause of the singer's throat illness.  I could see the pressure push them further and they not only get physical breakdowns but mental as well.  I hope not, I'd love to see them grow into more of their own sound and allow their musicianship to shine without the comparisons.  We will see.

I am trying to see them in Queens in May, all of their concerts are sold out and the local one which is GA has tickets around the $200 mark on 2nd markets which is just absurd whereas the Queens show is much cheaper second hand and has seats so I can guarantee myself a view.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 09:57:29 AM »
https://metalheadzone.com/prog-rock-legend-slams-greta-van-fleet-for-being-led-zeppelin-imitation/

Saw this pop up in my mobile Chrome suggestions and figured I'd see what this band is about. I've seen their name but never gave them any mind, especially since their logo was very derivative (cuz everyone is using that Stephen King book font), but after reading this snippet from Steven Wilson and watching the video at the bottom of the article, I'm a bit curious about this band.

It's been awhile since a new classic rock-inspired hard rock band has hit the scene with such a sound, and they have already won a Grammy for their 2nd EP. Has anyone listened to their debut album that came out last October? What are your thoughts? I haven't given new bands much of a chance in recent years, but these guys seem worth checking out...

-Marc.
That was quite the slam by Wilson.  :lol I tried to listen to them but my interest faded pretty quickly.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 10:01:25 AM »
I like Steven Wilson and all but boy can he be one grumpy pretentious fuck. Kindly get the stick out of your backside, sir; sorry these guys who are 30+ years younger than you are enjoying some mainstream success with their natural gift. No, seriously, some of those comments he made have caused me to lose a little respect for him. For someone who seems to understand the creative process, the value of music, etc. so much, it is ridiculous to me that he is slamming these kids as a "boy band", a "piss poor imitation," "maybe one day they'll make a good record" etc. He even alludes to his jealousy right at the end talking about how he didn't have what they have.

Sorry to tell you Steve but you didn't write a good album until your 7th Porcupine Tree release. Your early records are like a terrible Pink Floyd imitation. And look at how you grew.

As for the album itself, it rocks. The band's great. I hope I get to see them live.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:09:05 AM by Kattelox »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
Fuck Steven Wilson. Seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 11:03:40 AM »
Not a fan. I can see they are talented, and maybe even good potential, but right now they sound like the past. If I want to hear a band that sounds like it's from the 70's, I'll listen to a band from the 70's. Back then, that sound was the result of people pushing music forward. Right now it's a result of people looking backwards. Not a huge fan of that, especially when their entire sound is built around it.

Glad everyone else likes them. Not my thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »
Not a fan. I can see they are talented, and maybe even good potential, but right now they sound like the past. If I want to hear a band that sounds like it's from the 70's, I'll listen to a band from the 70's. Back then, that sound was the result of people pushing music forward. Right now it's a result of people looking backwards. Not a huge fan of that, especially when their entire sound is built around it.

Glad everyone else likes them. Not my thing.

I’m with you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
Pretentious and grumpy are both fair terms to apply to Steven, but I don't really feel like he's that far off base here.

Online Adami

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
It’s also possible to disagree with him and not be so hateful and vitriol.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
No, what he said was stupid and arrogant and reeks of someone who is envious of a young act getting mainstream success. The guy is one of the biggest names in an entire genre of music and he's criticizing talented kids fresh out of high school who are getting some of the spotlight because they aren't doing what he thinks they should be doing and he acts like it's somehow bad for music. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth reading those comments when I respect him for what he does.

Online Adami

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
Yes. And it’s possibke to disagree with him and not be so hateful and vitriol.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
I don't think what I said was hateful at all, sorry if you took it that way.

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »

I thought the “no” in your post was in response to me. My bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »

I don't think anyone has been vitriolic in any way, especially considering that SW does seem a bit hypocritical here since his early career is full of music where he wore his influences on his sleeves.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

I don't think anyone has been vitriolic in any way, especially considering that SW does seem a bit hypocritical here since his early career is full of music where he wore his influences on his sleeves.

-Marc.

Fuck Steven Wilson. Seriously.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »
No, what he said was stupid and arrogant and reeks of someone who is envious of a young act getting mainstream success. The guy is one of the biggest names in an entire genre of music and he's criticizing talented kids fresh out of high school who are getting some of the spotlight because they aren't doing what he thinks they should be doing and he acts like it's somehow bad for music. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth reading those comments when I respect him for what he does.

I wouldn't go far as to say that what Greta Van Fleet is doing is bad for music, but I feel like it sure as hell isn't doing anything to push music forward.  I see them as a band that brings a refreshing sound to be nostalgic about rather than move rock forward to a bold, new, exciting direction.  I mean was Steven Wilson's tone in his comments was a bit more crass than it should be?  Probably, and I wouldn't want to describe them as a boy band version of Led Zeppelin that Steven Wilson did, but I wouldn't exactly think anything he is saying is all wrong.  Would they still be around 10 years later with what the success they have right now and the sound they have right now?  That's a big "we'll see" to look out for.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
Gotta give SW props for saying it like it is. This band being popular is great proof you don't need to be good or original to have success.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
Okay, I get it, but humor me: why should originality have ANYTHING to do with success? Success is determined entirely by the perception of the audience, and it seems like they're doing fine in that regard. If people enjoy it, who really cares if it's "original"? Almost everything has already been done before. It is incredibly, exceedingly difficult to make music that is actually new and pushes things forward. I see a lot of hate for Greta Van Fleet on my social media from people who listen to 300 new metal bands a year that do absolutely nothing new.