Author Topic: Managers, Supervisors, and just all around organized and responsible peeps....  (Read 4299 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Okay. As some of you know from my blabbing in the chat thread, I am getting another promotion. My supervisor put his 2 week notice in, and as of October 1st, I am assuming his role. Here's my issue: I am very unorganized. What tips do any of you have regarding managing people, organization,  reheating pizza, etc?

One of my biggest issues is going to be staying on top of EVERYTHING that needs to be done. Basically the only thing that has a definite "Here do this thing by the end of the day" is payroll, everything else, from scheduling, emails, hiring, disciplinary action, training, etc is up to me and how I want to work it. I'm looking for a good android planner / scheduling app to help me out, as I am incredibly forgetful at times. Anyone have any amazing tips? *insert Archer JUST THE TIP joke here*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Carry a pocket notepad and a pencil. Write things down. Check things off. Make sure the page is complete at the end of the day. It's a whole lot easier to scribble down "sexually harass Melinda" than it is to add it to an app or organizer, and you're more likely to check it at the EOD.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
The time management matrix ("quadrants") from Steven Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People...this thing can be a life-changer, done properly.

https://www.planetofsuccess.com/blog/2015/stephen-coveys-time-management-matrix-explained/

Also, maybe have a look at Getting Things Done, I use a couple of tricks from that (and generally keep obsessive to-do lists).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Set a list like EB said and tackle one at a time.  I say this  because there are some points where you're tackling five things at a time that are added on. so when you make a list, work on that one thing while other things get thrown at you and then get back to that list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
reheating pizza

Toaster oven is the way to go.  No microwave.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

Offline Skeever

In all seriousness, create a prioritized "To Do" list for yourself at least weekly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
-Treat others how you like to be treated.
-Prioritize!!
-When it comes to remembering things, Outlook is a godsend for me at work. You can set a million little reminders that way you never forget to do anything.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
We have a list that was made on Excel that called LSW.

Leader Standard Work.

It allows us to list, prioritize, for the day and week's agenda.  Ordering, top 5 needs ext.  It helps a ton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Regarding to-do lists, one trick to making them work better is to list the next step of a certain activity, rather than the the whole activity (e.g. "buy cleaning supplies" instead of "clean apartment").  It makes it clear what you have to do, and makes it easier to make progress on complex activities.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I originally commented on never using outlook

Then it dawned on me that I used it when I was working my county job last year.

I'm going to check it out.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
-Prioritize!!
-When it comes to remembering things, Outlook is a godsend for me at work. You can set a million little reminders that way you never forget to do anything.

I've never used outlook. I thought it was just basically an email service?

My current job is the only place I've ever used it, but it works extremely well.  Very easy to organize everything, not just emails.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
-Prioritize!!

My current job is the only place I've ever used it, but it works extremely well.  Very easy to organize everything, not just emails.

There are many features and a calendar is a big one for setting up meetings/reminders/whatever.

My opinion is simply a notepad.  Write things down, have the notepad available, and use it.  My job doesn't require me to be terribly organized, but at times when things are getting hectic, I always keep notes on what I need to be on top of.  I'm attached to my work laptop so I just have an informal notepad of notes on it for things.  Obviously there are better ways, but you are going to have to figure out what works best for you and what keeps you working at it.  Sometimes things more complicated end up leaving you not using the tool, just keep it as simple as it needs for you to be effective using it.

also,

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Lethean

-Prioritize!!

Agreed.  It has a calendar as well as tasks.  For both, you can have reminders popup.  And you can make them recurring as well - every month, 2 weeks, week, daily, etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jay, you should have two lists.

One is things that need to be completed daily, and another for weekly tasks.

Also, what kind of business is this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, what kind of business is this?

Security. The account is a 48 acre gated community. 500+ residences. My company provides 24 hour security, access control, etc.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
To each their own, but LISTS.   However you do it, LISTS.

Online mikeyd23

For real, with all the tech tools available to me at my job, the thing I always come back to is my handwritten list of "to-dos".

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

For real, with all the tech tools available to me at my job, the thing I always come back to is my handwritten list of "to-dos".

Yea me too, but to each their own.  For some they need the more organized tools.  For me, my notepad (digitally now, both on phone and laptop) is what I use.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Dude my desk is LITTERED with envelopes, half-pieces of paper, whatever, with lists on them.    It's crude, but it works for me.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So a few things that come to mind on being a manager..

I work for a major supermarket chain where I spent 16 years as a Store Manager, and have seen all kinds of styles of managers. Some guys are such assholes, yet they seem to be looked upon positively by upper management. I never could manage like that. I generally did not want conflict for conflict's sake. I have to come to this place everyday, and I can't have manufactured conflict. There's enough legitimate conflict for that.

1. I always felt that I needed to be honest. I worked hard to not lie or fib, even handling confidential info. I would always say that I cannot get into it or comment on it. My people appreciated my honesty.

2.  I also felt that it was my job to help my associates succeed. You have to learn the difference between someone asking you for help, or if they are dumping things in your lap.

3.  When my people approached me, I had to remind myself that what they are bringing to my attention is important to them, and important to their job.

4. I never talked business on my first walk around the store, unless I walked into a train wreck.  My current manager, and my last manager greet me everyday with something negative. It sucks. I tried to set the exact opposite tone.

5. People's jobs are tough enough. I felt what I owed them was leadership and guidance.

6. I never asked a question that I already knew the answer.

7. I tried to visibly do something to help every department in my store everyday. That was sometimes tough in a Union environment (meaning there were limits to what I could "do"), but when my people understood that, they were more than appreciative.

I'm sure I'll come up with a few more.

Everytime I got to a new store, I'd also explain my "Open Door" policy.
If the door is open..come on in.
If it's closed...do NOT knock on it. You can page or call my extension, but do NOT knock.
If it's kind of closed, but left open a bit, you can come in, but it better be important.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm loving the feedback I'm getting here.  I've already started laying a basic list of goals I want to get done per day, week, and month. Small obvious things, that probably won't be so obvious once I get into the thick of things, like the schedule. Making sure I have a schedule  (or at least a tentative one) posted for my guys by the 20th of each month (That's a big one, as my outgoing supervisor would let things go until we were a week into the NEW month before posting THAT MONTH'S schedule).

I also have the full backing from my 2 leads. Every idea I've bounced off of them regarding management and changes have been met with positivity. Keep in mind, I've worked with both these guys for years, as normal guards, then as all 3 of us as leads, then my Assistant Supervisor position (which was just a Lead on Steroids), and now this.

This is going to be such a learning experience...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Making sure I have a schedule  (or at least a tentative one) posted for my guys by the 20th of each month (That's a big one, as my outgoing supervisor would let things go until we were a week into the NEW month before posting THAT MONTH'S schedule).

Jay, that's a great idea. One thing I learned is NOTHING is more important to people than their schedules. Their lives are budgeted on their hours worked, and they base ALL of their life's activities around their work schedule. Giving them clarity is a great thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was a hotel general manager for 7 years so here are some things that I found useful.

1. As stated earlier in this thread, LISTS, make them and hold people accountable. I was managing housekeepers/maintenance/front desk staff, everyone had tasks I that I wanted completed.

2. Let everyone know their schedule as far ahead as possible and if possible try to keep it consistent, people want to know when they are working. Hold your employees accountable. Outlook is great for scheduling

3. Be fair and try not to play into employee drama.

4. Ultimately you are the one to answer for your team so hold your team to a high standard

A little personal note; I became a general manager of a staff of 15 at the age of 22 and the biggest mistake is that I tried to be friends with my staff. There is nothing wrong with having a positive work relationship with your employees but in the end keep it as professional as possible. Make sure the job is getting done above all else and make sure to call people out on their bullshit. If you have a great staff and stay organized your job will be much, much easier.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A little personal note; I became a general manager of a staff of 15 at the age of 22 and the biggest mistake is that I tried to be friends with my staff. There is nothing wrong with having a positive work relationship with your employees but in the end keep it as professional as possible. 

Very true. Great advice.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I'm gonna gather that the work won't vary much from week to week or pay period to pay period. Whatever the time period is, set a fixed plan of what each day should entail. For example, beyond actual cooking, I also have a list of chores that never sway for each week, and each one has a set day that it must get done on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I was a hotel general manager for 7 years so here are some things that I found useful.

1. As stated earlier in this thread, LISTS, make them and hold people accountable. I was managing housekeepers/maintenance/front desk staff, everyone had tasks I that I wanted completed.

2. Let everyone know their schedule as far ahead as possible and if possible try to keep it consistent, people want to know when they are working. Hold your employees accountable. Outlook is great for scheduling

3. Be fair and try not to play into employee drama.

4. Ultimately you are the one to answer for your team so hold your team to a high standard

A little personal note; I became a general manager of a staff of 15 at the age of 22 and the biggest mistake is that I tried to be friends with my staff. There is nothing wrong with having a positive work relationship with your employees but in the end keep it as professional as possible. Make sure the job is getting done above all else and make sure to call people out on their bullshit. If you have a great staff and stay organized your job will be much, much easier.

This.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
I recently heard the phrase "Your culture is the worst behavior that you tolerate".  I wish I'd have heard that earlier in my career, and been more forceful about drawing some clear lines as opposed to trying to talk someone into being compliant and following the rules...which didn't work.  That guy became my first (and hopefully only) termination.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
So I've figured out how to use the calendar and the event alerts on Outlook. I meet with the outgoing supervisor tomorrow for a few hours, and then again on Wednesday for "training".  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to get extremely nervous. An email went out to  the HOA and Management company (our client) regarding the change. I feel as if I am now officially under the microscope.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:51:12 PM by JayOctavarium »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I feel as if I am now officially under the microscope.

Yup. Everyone is looking at you. Your bosses, your people, and your customers.

Be honest and genuine. Remember, there's a big difference between making a suggestion and making a decision. You will have to own the outcome.

Offline Lethean

So I've figured out how to use the calendar and the event alerts on Outlook. I meet with the outgoing supervisor tomorrow for a few hours, and then again on Wednesday for "training".  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to get extremely nervous. An email went out to  the HOA and Management company (our client) regarding the change. I feel as if I am now officially under the microscope.

I think it's perfectly normal to feel nervous - and it's a good thing because it shows you're taking it seriously and want to do well.  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay. As some of you know from my blabbing in the chat thread, I am getting another promotion. My supervisor put his 2 week notice in, and as of October 1st, I am assuming his role. Here's my issue: I am very unorganized. What tips do any of you have regarding managing people, organization,  reheating pizza, etc?

One of my biggest issues is going to be staying on top of EVERYTHING that needs to be done. Basically the only thing that has a definite "Here do this thing by the end of the day" is payroll, everything else, from scheduling, emails, hiring, disciplinary action, training, etc is up to me and how I want to work it. I'm looking for a good android planner / scheduling app to help me out, as I am incredibly forgetful at times. Anyone have any amazing tips? *insert Archer JUST THE TIP joke here*

Don't put pressure on yourself, be confident and believe in yourself.  Don't push processes on yourself to try and stay on top of things, find your own way, do your best and trust yourself and allow and trust others below and around you.  Being nervous is natural, but don't let it control you.

Be yourself and don't worry about what your staff may think of you.  Include them, make them feel valued and create a culture but don't be something you're not, they will see through it and won't respect you.  Having your staff respect you and work for you will make your job a hell of a lot smoother and easier.

Another big tip, don't overthink everything and face it as it comes.

I have been a supervisor for about 10 years.  It's a hard role, but you can learn a lot about yourself as a person and use the opportunity to grow and develop yourself.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:15:06 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Know when to recognize the times when No is an acceptable answer (to an employee, or to the client), and when no response is the best option.  I still remember to this day (early in my career) an email that a customer sent to me and my boss that (in retrospect) was clearly baiting.  I asked him what he was going to do about it.  His response "nothing, I deleted it".

It's not always necessary to be "right".

Also, work on the art of letting people have your way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Know when to recognize the times when No is an acceptable answer (to an employee, or to the client), and when no response is the best option.  I still remember to this day (early in my career) an email that a customer sent to me and my boss that (in retrospect) was clearly baiting.  I asked him what he was going to do about it.  His response "nothing, I deleted it".

It's not always necessary to be "right".

Also, work on the art of letting people have your way.

Related, you don't always have to give people what they want...but you have to make them feel heard and taken into consideration.  Active listening is key here.  >80% of the time, someone will be ok with a situation where they were told know, but felt that the other side understood them and showed empathy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's the thing I always keep in the back of my head:  remember all those times you were a junior staffer and blathering on to anyone who would listen about how "management" doesn't know shit about how its' REALLY done, and how you'd have all the answers if they would only give you the chance?     

You've now got that chance. 

The point is not that now you get to implement all those changes; no, the likelihood is now you're going to see why things were done the way they were done.  But always remember that it's still about those people that report to you, and it's (part of) your job to create that bridge.