Author Topic: MP forum Roll Call  (Read 23800 times)

Offline Chris Hinton

Re: MP forum Roll Call
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
Man, I wish the MP forum was still around so I could post this in the compression thread...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
HAHAHA. 

"I can hear the difference between ones and zeros." 

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »
HAHAHA. 

Well, obviously. The more zeros there are the better the bass sounds. Gives you that round and fat bottom end.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
Fat bottom ends make the rockin' world go round.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Vaterman

« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
Little late jumping on this thread. Vaterman here, same as the MP forum. Lurker since 2000, member since 2003. Still sad about the Forum shutting down. This will be my new daily go to. For the record I'm not digging DS vibe and smack talk either. Need to update my avatar and other vitals.

Thanks for starting this thread and bringing us all home.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2017, 01:12:59 AM »
HAHAHA. 

Yeah, it's called djent
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lethean

« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
HAHAHA. 

I think I only lightly participated in those discussions, but I did read a lot of them, and wow.  I can rarely (very very rarely) tell the difference between an mp3 and a wav.  To claim that you can tell the difference between  lossless compression and a wav?  I'd like to put that to the test with a blind listening test.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
HAHAHA. 

I think I only lightly participated in those discussions, but I did read a lot of them, and wow.  I can rarely (very very rarely) tell the difference between an mp3 and a wav.  To claim that you can tell the difference between  lossless compression and a wav?  I'd like to put that to the test with a blind listening test.

.wav IS lossless, isn't it?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lethean

« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
HAHAHA. 

.wav IS lossless, isn't it?

Yes. But there was someone claiming they could tell the difference between a wav and the lossless compression formats like flac.  I don't think anyone else was buying it. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
It's my understanding that it is.

For me, I am skeptical of any claim that we can knowingly and reliably hear the difference (on a consistent basis) between the higher scan rates and lossless.   I think it's like anything else; we WANT to hear a difference and so we do, for whatever reason.   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
I think I'm probably perfectly happy, and probably better off, not being able to hear the difference.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
That's kind of how I feel. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Me personally, I can tell the difference between 128 KBps and 320 KBps mp3s. I do, however, have a very tough time telling the difference between 320 and FLAC/WAV. It was only a few years ago when I upgraded my computer and had a newer audio chip and a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones that I could sorta tell there was a difference between them..

Now since I buy a lot of bluray audio albums, I can really hear a good difference in the full BR format and the mp3/flac counterparts.

But in the end I settle for 320 for most of my music on casual listen, when I want to really immerse myself, that's when the blurays come out.

Another thing I noticed, I've tried the premium versions of  Spotify, Google music, Amazon prime and Microsoft Groove music. I find the best sound ones to be that played by Groove. Everyone else has something always lacking. In this case I'm talking about playing the tracks on my iPhone with the stock headphones, the same tracks sound the best on Groove, too bad that service is closing out after end of this year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
My Spotify experience got a hell of a lot better when I set the download/stream quality to 'extreme' and also used the options in the audio settings to personalize my own experience. Put your headphones on in a quiet environment and follow the instructions as it plays beeps and adjusts the playback to your hearing. Pretty cool stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Anyone here use Pono?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
I'm not familiar with it, so no. But I just looked it up, and see that the portable music player is $450 on Amazon. Even if I could tell the difference, I don't trust that I wouldn't lose or drop the thing and damage it. My iPod still works, but I have dropped it a few times, and while I'd be upset if it broke, I'm not afraid to carry it around and use it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2017, 06:41:26 AM »
Anyone know in touch with or contact the user DTD from the MP forum? I hope he's here lurking.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:56 AM »
It took me a few months, but I made it.  I actually joined DTF several years ago when Portnoy left DT (even have the email still to prove it!), but for whatever reason had to rejoin with a brand new account recently (using the exact same login/account info).  I figure my account probably got deleted due to too much inactivity on my part or something.

Anyway, I always liked the MP.com and DTF communities- been around both for a long time- maybe 12 years or so, though I rarely post.  If no one remembers me (no worries!) I used to have good (and very civil/thoughtful) discussions with Bails, Stadler, Dave in Manchester, Spunky, and lots of others.  Aside from music discussion, the stuff that some might remember me from were topics like copyright and creator's rights, future of music under streaming/free distribution models, whether music/art can be objectively better/worse than other music/art, and tons more.  I had to mostly pull out over the last couple years- had to lurk because I just didn't have enough time to keep participating in the conversations at the level I felt I'd need to.  So lurk mode is the usual for me these days.

My real claim to fame, and I doubt he even remembers this, was turning Dave in Manchester on to Moon Safari!   :coolio

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Pardon if this is against the rules but anybody who was part of the MP Forum, there are some people who have not joined up here, but there's a link in my signature to where a bunch of us stragglers picked up the slack and formed a 'refuge' community of sorts. I know they'd be more than happy to see ya'll.

Offline Mindinsky0

« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
Hey guys I finally got in. I used to go by "When me and n. portman unite" on the MP Forum. I sure miss that place. i learned about so many great bands, had many lols and many arguments as well.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »
sorry to bump an old thread, but for those who may still use Mike Portnoy's forum just for research/as a resource like myself (I was angra1 there for 18 years), per a Facelift to the site overall, the Forum itself is sadly gone for good.

The only way to find all that history now of course is through The Way Back Machine.

there are a couple of different Facebook Groups as well for those who use FB.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »
Man, that’s a damn shame. There were some pretty amazing convos archived over there.

Online faizoff

« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2021, 07:12:09 PM »
sorry to bump an old thread, but for those who may still use Mike Portnoy's forum just for research/as a resource like myself (I was angra1 there for 18 years), per a Facelift to the site overall, the Forum itself is sadly gone for good.

I for one am really sad it's gone, it's been a big part of my online presence for about the same time as you. I used to go there quite frequently even after the forum closed to read on discussions on various bands, shows and movies. I think I was there just a week or so back before it closed. Man was that such a memorable place when I joined back in 2003. Real bummer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »
I joined the MP forum in 2003 or 2004. I posted as TC but didn't post a ton. I usually just checked in as it was the only place to get DT news, and the nightly setlists.

I actually registered at DTF about the same time, and just found the set up here easier to navigate as a forum.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2021, 07:16:44 PM »
I lurked there for a bit but never registered.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2021, 07:25:43 PM »
I kinda hated it at the time, but I sincerely miss the purple.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2021, 07:42:09 PM »
Sad.  I spent a lot of time there, and made some friends (I think).  Most are here, so that's good, but it was a different feel (not better not worse, just different).  Then there was always the chance for a sighting.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »

I for one am really sad it's gone, it's been a big part of my online presence for about the same time as you. I used to go there quite frequently even after the forum closed to read on discussions on various bands, shows and movies. I think I was there just a week or so back before it closed. Man was that such a memorable place when I joined back in 2003. Real bummer.

yeah for nostalgia alone it really holds a ton of history. I spent some time on there over the last 9 months compiling a list of 80's Pop Hits. There were 2 topics on there that were extensive that I may not have been able to get anywhere else.

I may still use The Way Back Machine, if for no other reason, but in trying to compile release dates for certain albums (I'm trying to compile an Albums Calendar List for my blog).,as you often conflicting info from different sites. But using the actual Search Function on the Forum is a lot easier/quicker than weeding through many pages on the Way Back Machine.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2021, 11:24:03 PM »
That's a shame. :(  I would go there occasionally as well to search for something/jog my memory.  I wish he would have left it up for history.  For some reason I'm surprised he didn't.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2021, 11:44:58 PM »
I for one am really sad it's gone, it's been a big part of my online presence for about the same time as you.

It was my only online presence for a few years. But after he left the band things got really strange there and when I stopped posting I actually asked Wey to delete my profile and all my posts. I don't recall 'why' I asked him to do that.....but he did.

I hopped over here and registered....and have been here ever since.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2021, 03:28:30 AM »
I was a regular over there until an especially awful relapse back into drinking that led to a blackout in which I posted a bunch of really stupid shit and got banned.  I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since.  I think it's been around 10 years now, I don't maintain a "sobriety date" because I smoke more pot than Cheech and Chong.  :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2021, 07:53:48 AM »
I was a regular over there until an especially awful relapse back into drinking that led to a blackout in which I posted a bunch of really stupid shit and got banned.  I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since.  I think it's been around 10 years now, I don't maintain a "sobriety date" because I smoke more pot than Cheech and Chong.  :lol

I remember that. I'm happy to hear you're on the other side of it.

For what it's worth, your old Avatar brought a thousand smiles to my face...I never got tired of seeing that awesome picture of Kirk!

Offline frogprog

« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2021, 08:03:06 AM »
I was a member for quite a long time and it was my on-line home. Although I didn't post much (still don't) I followed along daily in most conversations. I discovered an awful lot of great music there that I would have never been exposed to. I also met my bass player who became one of my best friends. He wasn't a member but his buddy Dave Neff (RIP) was Nerf.
Sometimes I wonder what became of some of the members that I don't see here. The was a fellow-can't remember his name, that was in every thread. I don't think I ever met him in real life but I know he lived right around me here in Glenside PA local to the Keswick theater? I believe he was also active at the Spocks Beard forum but I could be wrong about that.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »

Wow. I remember you going off on MP on 5/8, I think it was, as well as at MP.com at the time of the split. It didn't add up at the time, really out of character, and I've occasionally wondered about it when reading your posts here. Just goes to show you never know what's going on in someone's life when you read their posts. Really good to hear you're doing better now.

Edit: just read why this thread was bumped. What a shame the forums have gone for good :'(
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2021, 08:41:04 AM »
I was a member for quite a long time and it was my on-line home. Although I didn't post much (still don't) I followed along daily in most conversations. I discovered an awful lot of great music there that I would have never been exposed to. I also met my bass player who became one of my best friends. He wasn't a member but his buddy Dave Neff (RIP) was Nerf.
Sometimes I wonder what became of some of the members that I don't see here. The was a fellow-can't remember his name, that was in every thread. I don't think I ever met him in real life but I know he lived right around me here in Glenside PA local to the Keswick theater? I believe he was also active at the Spocks Beard forum but I could be wrong about that.

I used to live on Two Street in Queen's Village in Philly.   The Prog Nation show at the Tower Theater was my first DT show (I know, I know; for all the times they played Toad's in New Haven, that's embarrassing).  Saw Fish at the TLA, too.   There were a couple of Philly area people on the board.  I remember having a convo with a dude out in front of my house - block party - and I remember getting vibes like he was on the board, but I felt stupid asking him. :)    Another guy is a friend, and I still keep in touch via text, but we met up for the Marillion show at the Keswick (met Mark Kelly out front on the sidewalk, too!).