Author Topic: MP forum Roll Call  (Read 23895 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: MP forum Roll Call
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
I think I was Images and Memory over there. Thus continuing my bad combo of album mashup usernames. I joined both MP's and this forum just to ask what everyone else's tracking numbers said for the BC&SL boxset
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
:JayOctavarium:

:NataliePortman:

(One day )
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
Making my name into a Deadpool emoticon would be the best birthday present that no one gave me (or remembered from last week).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Making my name into a Deadpool emoticon would be the best birthday present that no one gave me (or remembered from last week).

Happy belated birthday
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline toky_world

• MP.COM Refugee
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Same username that I used in DT.net in early 00s and on MP.COM 03 to this date. I'll quote what I posted on the SoA thread:

part 2 of my rant.

I was part of the DT.net boards 2001/02. I remember that there was a lot of trolling that got out of hand in late 03 that got dt.net shutdown. I remember Mark Bredius was the admin, so he kept only website for promotion purposes. So I migrated to mp.com. A lot of cool people over there and relatively safe space to discuss TOT album. And I stuck there through many shutdowns and bans. Then Mike quit the band, and I thought that was it for the site, as well as my loyalty to Mike. I was so angry that he left the way he did. Selfish, heartless, cold.

Fast forward 7 years DT has released ADTOE, DT, TA. No album has really clicked for me. While Flying Colors and Winery Dogs did. That's why I stayed away from this place (as you can tell bc I joined here in 2011). I didnt want to shit on your parade.

This seems like a cool place to discuss music. Hopefully we can get past DT and maybe you guys can introduce me to new music.  :hat

Anyway looking forward to be part of this community.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 11:15:21 PM »
It is 100% ok to say any DT material doesn't click with you. It isn't a full-on lovefest here. There is a fair share of DT criticism here, and it is largely done with respect to the band. After all, we are, or were, all fans of DT at some point.

The General Music forum is a great place to learn about new bands, or discuss old, longtime favorites.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »
It is 100% ok to say any DT material doesn't click with you. It isn't a full-on lovefest here. There is a fair share of DT criticism here, and it is largely done with respect to the band.
Just to highlight this important point - we're all free to express our opinions and constructive criticism is welcome, but do so respectfully to the band (current and former members) and to other DTFers.

Anyway, warm welcome to anyone who has recently joined us!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »
Here!  MP.com member since before the crash, frequent poster in the past, not so much lately except for the infamous FLAC thread.

Someone needs to get glassdream over here :omg: :facepalm: :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 12:38:32 AM »

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2017, 04:44:34 AM »
Even though I hardly posted last couple, years I have  been an everyday active reader and lurker since I joined in 2004 and even before. ...facepalm thread,  just thinking, seventh son, and long ago with ghaal and octobarns and so on,   I was there, I was there lol.

Sad to see it end like that but it was just a vehicle for us. You guys will make this here a home.

Ironic "is dtf a thing" is directly now a much bigger thing because of MP shutting down.

Cheeers, now back to lurking lol. 

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2017, 05:30:22 AM »
I was a semi-regular at the MP forums till the end. Same handle. I signed up here when he quit DT.
I haven't posted here in a while because frankly, it seemed a little "cliquey". (Don't want to open a can of worms with that comment.)

I'm trying to participate again.

Offline Cable

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
---

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:02 AM »
I was a semi-regular at the MP forums till the end. Same handle. I signed up here when he quit DT.
I haven't posted here in a while because frankly, it seemed a little "cliquey". (Don't want to open a can of worms with that comment.)

I agree with that. However, I think it's the same for newcomers on pretty much any established forum unless you're a boisterous extraverted type ;D
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
I looked back at my post history and saw this thread was created right when MP split from DT and there was a swathe of people rushing in this place
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17325.msg620970

That thread had my first post. Same username on both forums, in fact, I think every forum I register I use the same name. Can't believe how fast time passes by sometimes. That thread I linked was about 7 years ago.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 06:53:36 AM »

When was your birthday?   If it makes you feel better, no one remembered mine either (on the 10th).   Though I did get a nice vacation for a present.  :) ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
Here!  MP.com member since before the crash, frequent poster in the past, not so much lately except for the infamous FLAC thread.

In which you delivered, if I remember correctly.   Someone else came in with some touchy-feely pseudo science, and I think I learned 98% of my digital copy reproduction knowledge from your reply.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:30 AM »

Ah, the fella who would critique the aural abilities of a bat. I actually really liked that dude, despite almost never understanding a word he wrote. I picture him listening to music wearing a lab coat and sterilized gloves.

Glad to see some more MP Forum flotsam washing up on these shores. I'm dave_manchester from there of course, nice to see the old faces and meet some new ones. Now if someone could just convince The Fish to haul his fin on over here we'll have almost all the regulars.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
I kinda liked him, too, mostly because he just kept bouncing back up like a six month old retriever despite the endless slap downs. I don't think I've ever known anyone stick so doggedly to their own interpretation of science in the face of so much fact-based evidence to the contrary.

On another subject, has Bails made it over?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline romdrums

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »
I kinda liked him, too, mostly because he just kept bouncing back up like a six month old retriever despite the endless slap downs. I don't think I've ever known anyone stick so doggedly to their own interpretation of science in the face of so much fact-based evidence to the contrary.

For some reason, I always pictured Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punch Out when I would see a GlassDream post.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
Yeah, where is Bails anyway?

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »

For some reason, I always pictured Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punch Out when I would see a GlassDream post.

After a while I started reading his posts in the voice of Professor Frink from The Simpsons. "....dropping the tracks' upper peak limit down -6db's, so when I create the new peaks and dynamics, they will reach as high as -4db's, but never past -3db's, boo HEY boo HEY!!!"

As for Bails, he lurks here but I don't know if he has an account yet.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »

After a while I started reading his posts in the voice of Professor Frink from The Simpsons. "....dropping the tracks' upper peak limit down -6db's, so when I create the new peaks and dynamics, they will reach as high as -4db's, but never past -3db's, boo HEY boo HEY!!!"

That's hilarious!   :rollin
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
Glad to see some more MP Forum flotsam washing up on these shores. I'm dave_manchester from there of course, nice to see the old faces and meet some new ones. Now if someone could just convince The Fish to haul his fin on over here we'll have almost all the regulars.
I sent him a PM about it a few days ago. To quote Martok, "what could be better? An ally and an enemy both telling him the same thing."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I just read page 1 of that FLAC thread for s & g.  Nice job, Chris Hinton.  Not that I have the background to judge, but your replies contained more actual content than the other guy.  I too am/was mostly ignorant of compression, and didn't understand how the term "lossless compression" wasn't inherently contradictory.  But since smarter people than I have created it, I trust that it is not.  Reading your replies made me understand that the algorithm can reconstruct the "missing" bits, thus perfectly recreating the source string.

He seemed to backpedal his argument to say that the decompression algorithm can theoretically stumble in is function, producing inaccuracies in the output, but that's pretty weak.  Anything like that which may happen must be so far below the noise level of all the other parts of the system.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
To  weigh one's heart against the oncoming dark... :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
:NataliePortman:

(One day )

Remove the caps.

Code: [Select]
:adami:

Well then....that is interesting.

Well, at the time I uploaded that, you had jokingly insisted you were a terrorist, so...  But it doesn't really fit anymore, so I just changed it.  We already have a basic Deadpool one (I forget the code and can't be bothered to look it up right now), but this one seems appropriate for you, so there you go.

:adami:

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
Awesome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
:zydar:

:zydarscouch:

:riskybiz:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »

In which you delivered, if I remember correctly.   Someone else came in with some touchy-feely pseudo science, and I think I learned 98% of my digital copy reproduction knowledge from your reply.

A few of us delivered (portnoy311, gborland, et al).  Those are the threads I go for anyway -- science, nerdy, and geeky.  Who remembers the Moon Landing threads?  That guy pissed me off to no end.

Offline Cable

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »

A few of us delivered (portnoy311, gborland, et al).  Those are the threads I go for anyway -- science, nerdy, and geeky.  Who remembers the Moon Landing threads?  That guy pissed me off to no end.

I remember that one. Cannot recall his avatar or name off the top, but if you said it I'd be like oh yeah him! That was hilarious in that at every single turn, he was refuted yet kept going. That is a thread that would end up in the P/R section here I reckon.
---

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
Hold up a second. Is SeventhSon here under a different name? This is important to know. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »
Checking in here as well...gotta get my Avatar up and running now!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
I don't need an avatar... (Or more accurately, was too lazy to do one for the MP forum, and probably here.)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
What up.

This literally made me LOL!

I say this endearingly Stadler, but this might be the fewest words I've ever see associated with one of your posts!