Author Topic: Having a cougar as a pet  (Read 3085 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: Having a cougar as a pet
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
uh, none of that in any way negates the fact that there is a MASSIVE difference between a domesticated pet and a wild animal, but ok
Good. It wasn't intended to. The point was that those two cougars in the video are essentially domesticated pets.

No, they are NOT domesticated AT ALL.  They're wild animals that were brought up as domesticated pets.  Again, MASSIVE fucking difference.  Domesticated animals have had hundreds, in some cases thousands of years of selective breeding to enhance the best traits and subdue the less desirable ones.

These animals have undergone no such selective breeding.  They could turn on their owner for the most innocuous things. 

Don't take my word for it, just watch an episode or two of Tiger King for chrissakes.  You cannot consider an animal like this domesticated because they've undergone no selective breeding or extremely limited selective breeding.  At best they might be two or three generations removed from actual wild animals.  In other words, they're still wild animals.  Completely unpredictable and very, very dangerous.

Correct. Those animals are not domesticated. They have been conditioned. Completely different. You can condition a wild animal. You can beat the shit out of a bear until it will pedal a bicycle around in a circus for decades. But it is still a wild animal. Always capable of doing what it is genetically designed to do.

It would be like if you had a wife with Borderline Personality Disorder. You may learn to believe she is quite stable all of the time, but at any moment you might come home and find her banging your friends. That butterfly tattoo will always make her unpredictable. (It's a joke guys. just a joke....settle down.  :biggrin:)
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »
No it's not.  ;)  :) :)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 02:48:40 PM »
It would be like if you had a wife with Borderline Personality Disorder. You may learn to believe she is quite stable all of the time, but at any moment you might come home and find her banging your friends. That butterfly tattoo will always make her unpredictable. (It's a joke guys. just a joke....settle down.  :biggrin:)

Maybe not banging my bros, but ripping me a new one for asking what she wants for dinner, then getting the silent treatment for 3 days - which ain't always a bad thing.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:39 AM »
Any pet would have to be a step up from a dog.