Author Topic: Sean Spicer's appearance at the Emmys - harmless fun, or "enabling"?  (Read 843 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

I read the headline of this article and prepared to roll my eyes a lot (who cares who or what Hollywood chooses to validate, much less when CNN picks and chooses when to promote it), but it's actually a well-argued case for why they were misguided in inviting Spicer onto the stage:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/18/politics/spicer-emmys-speech/index.html

Between Harvard, his appearance on Kimmel, and now the Emmys, Spicer is going through a carefully managed re-branding process now, and that's fair enough, money is at stake and he needs to keep one eye on his speaking fees. But were the Emmys right to invite him? The writer of the article argues that this is a guy who knowingly lied on behalf of the president, berated the free press and labelled them dishonest (when often they turned out to be right), and contributed to a climate of antagonism towards the media and other characteristic institutions of a democracy.

That's the case against him, and in my opinion it's a strong one.

In his defense is that all Press Secretaries mislead the public and the press (although clearly not to such an aggressive degree, and not on such surreally insignificant issues as crowd sizes). He was thrown into a situation which nobody - not even the most expert commentators on political presentation - has yet figured out how else to go about being the Press Secretary of such an unusual and apparently unmanageable President.

My own contribution to the question is that 'Hollywood' (as I'll generally call them) is doing the 'right' thing ('right' I mean in the context of their agenda) from a strategic point of view. More than anyone else from the Admin, Spicer is associated in the public mind with Trump. Mock him - and have him mock himself - and vicariously you're laughing at Trump. Get Spicer to lampoon his own absurd performances when he was defending Trump (as he did last night at the Emmys), and you're ridiculing Trump too.

Does Spicer deserve a 'chance' to 'rehabilitate' his image? I'd say yes, because I'm keen to hear his side of the story. I don't agree with the article that the Emmys 'enabled' him; I think they shone a light on the absurdity of his performance as Press Secretary. However a lot of commentators are saying Spicer is culpable for a lot of the nastiness that took place shortly after January and shouldn't be let off the hook so easily.

Interested in any thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:46:35 PM by Dave_Manchester »
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Sean Spicer's appearance at the Emmys - harmless fun, or "enabling"?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
My take on Spicer changed when they shit on him with the whole papal visit thing. That made it pretty clear that he wasn't one of the team, and makes him more deserving of some slack in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
My take on Spicer changed when they shit on him with the whole papal visit thing. That made it pretty clear that he wasn't one of the team, and makes him more deserving of some slack in my book.

Yeah, that was a petty move to exclude him. He got to meet the Pope in the end though...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41099540

...and I'm sure it meant more to him to do it that way ('privately', and with a chance for a quick chat), rather than on the Trump undercard. It worked out well for him in the end.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L.Mencken, 26th July 1920.

Offline Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
They shouldn't have let him on because my Facebook feed is now full of liberal outrage because Spicer was on an awards show, and they're the same people that will bitch about the award winners not being diverse enough, blah blah blah.

In all seriousness, they probably should've not done it because it's sugarcoating a very serious issue (lying to the American public in a serious situation, delivering important information to the American public), but whatever, man. It's the Emmys.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »
I guess my wife and I are considered liberal, and we thought it was funny as sh*t, and a good move on his part.
'Discretionary posting is the better part of valor.'  Falstaff

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:10:42 PM »
Just watched it.

Thought it was awesome. Turns out being a human being and being able to make fun of yourself is an endearing quality. Who knew?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53:30 AM »
It was funny. I have no use for the Emmys (I haven't had a proper TV cable set up in going on 4 years), but it got me to watch a clip, so I guess it was good for everyone. Melissa McCarthy's portrayal of him was great, and it seems he kind of tapped into that.

Took balls for him to go through with it knowing there were likely few people in the audience who would be on his side politically (especially to appear next to Colbert), but then again that guy not having guts was never the issue.

All in all, it was good. I'm sure there were plenty of potshots all night at Trump's expense, might as well let someone like Spicy have some fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »
What are the Emmy's?  Who's this Stephen Colbert character? 

I wasn't having any part of that.  Hollywood loves a redemption story almost as much as it loves tearing down their own.   This was about as scripted and calculated as your average "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" and so for me, it's meaningless in terms of my assessment of him or his abilities.

Sean Spicer is not and never will be a leader.  He will be a great "Yes Man" for someone in some capacity somewhere.   My kids will not know who Sean Spicer is, short of some massive meltdown later in life.