Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 37601 times)

Offline Lethean

Good thing jingle saved them for last. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good thing jingle saved them for last. :)

I never even got to them

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Sigh... Wind Rose canceled. Replacement to be announced in a few hours... fingers crossed for Paladin, or maybe Theocracy, but I hope Paladin.

I'd vote for Theocracy!  Don't know Paladin. 

Glad I hadn't started my Wind Rose listening just yet.   :lol

That's three down now.  :-\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's three down now.  :-\

Not a single one bothered me though, I know I'm only speaking for myself but after losing JLB last year, this year seems perfectly fine with me.  Looking forward to the announcement but I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be a band I'm not familiar with, which is fine, but I think the suspense of the replacement band is always kind of fun for what it is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Chad, you should give Paladin a shot (especially if they get announced). Their latest album came out in spring and it's like aggressive thrashy power metal (with some growls) and it's super energetic. Also might have my favorite album art of the year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, you should give Paladin a shot (especially if they get announced). Their latest album came out in spring and it's like aggressive thrashy power metal (with some growls) and it's super energetic. Also might have my favorite album art of the year.

I do have them on the 'list' of 2019 releases to check out - which is about a dozen albums deep at this moment.  If they are announced, they'll jump to the top of the list.  If not, they'll have to wait until September 8th.  90% of my listening for the next 5 weeks is going to be PPUSA bands.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can get a sneak peak right now with Demons and Wizards live stream from Wacken https://www.magenta-musik-360.de/wacken-livestream-2019

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
IT'S HAPPENING!!! Paladin to replace Wind Rose!!! Get listening, Chad :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

They only have one album?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

They only have one album?

Yup. It's made a splash in the US power metal community so far, so this couldn't be better timing for them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll have to check it out too

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's definitely worth checking out.

It was produced my Matt Smith and recorded in his studio.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
First listen of the song PP shared Shoot for the Sun and it gives me Hit the Lights vibes from Metallica  :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
While cleaning the house, I made a playlist of Demons and Wizards setlist from Wacken (minus the BG and IE songs).  ABout 60 minutes in length, so fucking good.  Had two listened while cleaning (2 hours scrubbing the house down) and really like them.  I've said before it feels very similar to BG, but it's more metal I think.  This is just a good collection of songs. One month from today we will be back home depressed about how last weekend was so damn awesome  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
While cleaning the house, I made a playlist of Demons and Wizards setlist from Wacken (minus the BG and IE songs).  ABout 60 minutes in length, so fucking good.  Had two listened while cleaning (2 hours scrubbing the house down) and really like them.  I've said before it feels very similar to BG, but it's more metal I think.  This is just a good collection of songs. One month from today we will be back home depressed about how last weekend was so damn awesome  :metal

I'm sooo hyped. Can't wait. I am worried about next year's day 1 and 2 festivities, and whether or not the courtyard party will happen at all this year. But that means I'll have to enjoy this year even more.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, this last week was harsh for the festival. I never quite understood the two separate events/promoters thing nor why people would sell out days 3/4 and not buy 1/2.  Like, if you are going to travel there, make the most of it.  But that's just me.  I feel days 1/2 have really good bands, it's not like it's lesser than days 3/4 other than 4 vs 6 bands per day.

Offline Lethean

Personally, I think days 3 and 4 blow days 1 and 2 away this particular year.  But aside from that, it makes sense to me why days 3 and 4 do better.  If you're short on vacation time, you only have to take one day off work. If you don't have paid time off at all, then you only have one unpaid day. If you have kids, they're probably just starting school, it may be harder to take the full week. I know someone who's a teacher, and he can never come for the whole time, if he can come at all. Plus, for those watching their finances, just going to two of the days means it only costs about half as much. So I totally get it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm excited for next year regardless, especially if certain plans follow through, and I won't be robbed of my tax return so I'll have plenty more fun money to play with :) I only get one week off a year at my job, but I use it for ProgPower, so I don't complain. Personally if I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go to every day.

Although Galneryus and Demons & Wizards are my 2 big draws, Subsignal has quickly become one of my most anticipated sets. They're going to rock. What a great vibe that band has.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I too fail to understand why people wouldn't book all four days, but to each their own.  With flights as a fixed cost, the incremental lodging and ticket costs blend out the days, and make a full four-day 'festival' still very affordable.  I get some might not have sufficient time off, but people traveling in are gonna need to take at least 1 or 2 days off.

:dunno:

Maybe they need to limit the number of international acts - if the cost of visas has been a huge drain on them, then only sign 2 or 3 international acts, and 5-6 domestic ones.  It's not like there's a lack of them.  Question would be, are they still out of pocket for Wind Rose and Pretty Maids visa fees?  If so, then while I feel bad, those are the risks you take as a promoter.  While I'm on one hand sorry for the situation they are in, on the other hand, no one put them there but themselves.  If the acts aren't enough of a draw to generate sufficient ticket sales, whose fault is that?  Not mine.  Also not my fault that visa fees/processing times are ridiculous.  Solve that problem by booking US acts.

You can't please all the people, all the time.  Frankly, with the loss of PM, Day 1 is 50% tripe for me now.  I honestly don't think I'm sticking around after Secret Sphere.  Day 2, better, but the first 2 acts are just ok.

What's the deal with the courtyard party?  Is the Artmore getting bitchy about it?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I guess because the Artmore didn't sell out, they're not allowing the party to go on unmitigated like it used to? Frankly I find that weird. If they weren't charging an arm and leg I'd love to stay there but apparently they don't even have microwaves (at least my friends who stayed there last year didn't have one). I just hope we get a few hours to hang out there after the shows are done. Outside of that (they haven't announced the party hours yet), they're only letting Artmore guests into the yard. I suppose they're waiting to see if ticket sales increase in the last few days before canning 1 and 2 next year...

Although I don't have much of a problem with the roster I do think it's an unfortunate (and unpredictable) combination of bands that I guess a lot of people just aren't rushing to see, and people who just can't come for life reasons. I think the combination of bands on days 1 and 2 is odd but I thought it would sell as well as last year's opening days did.

I agree with you Chad that they probably need to book more domestic acts than international for days 1 and 2. For starters it would give a big boost to local bands - Paladin ended up taking Wind Rose's spot at the last minute, and they're based in Atlanta to boot - and it would save them Visa issues big time.

Offline Lethean

I don't know.  If you look at the past few years for days 1 and 2, they're a lot stronger than this year was.  But that's just my feeling, and I don't know whether or not the lineup is a main factor for this year's sales.

As for visa issues, they might be able to get started on it earlier and avoid the premium price.  It seems this year the delays caught them off guard and maybe in the future they can expect it.  I don't know.  I wouldn't mind paying a little more to continue getting international acts - especially those who don't tour the US.  But I get it if they have to cut back for days 1 and 2.  I wouldn't mind them going back to just having Thursday, and making it really strong, and having Wednesday be more low key - alternate sets for bands already playing one of the other nights.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's a cool idea, I was thinking similar, just cut day 1, make day 2 be 6 bands similar to day 2/3.  Make it a 3 day festival (not 2 seperate 2 day festivals). So that's two less bands overall and one less day for everyone to take off / pay for hotel, making it much more affordable without gutting it all completely. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't mind them going back to just having Thursday, and making it really strong, and having Wednesday be more low key - alternate sets for bands already playing one of the other nights.

Yeah, like acoustic sets, or - like Seventh Wonder did a few years back - a special set (eg, Mercy Falls), then a regular set on another day.

Truthfully, I could totally dig an acoustic set by Evergrey, and/or Threshold.  The two of them certainly have a deep enough discography to pull it off.

Offline Lethean

Evergrey did an acoustic set one Wednesday and that's exactly what I was thinking of.  One year had a really good Queensryche tribute band up in the loft.  I'm in for all four days if they can make it work, but if not, I'd love to see Wednesday go back to being more laid back.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
3 weeks left! So I'm about to check out the table signing times, hopefully they don't interfere with the roster. More or less my final thoughts going in:

Wednesday: Ancient Bards -> Secret Sphere -> Sanctuary -> Insomnium

Not an Ancient Bards fan, but I'm interested to hear them live and see how they've evolved since their first album which I thought was dreadful. Secret Sphere, I'm mostly in for the Luppi, but I want to hear some A Time Never Come songs, at the very least Legend. Sanctuary, I like the album they're playing in full, although it sounds dated, but that will be fun. Insomnium will rock the house. Jani L! :2metal:

Thursday: Tomorrow's Eve -> MaYaN -> Galneryus -> Evergrey

Tomorrow's Eve might be the band I know the least about. For months I was confusing them with Poets of the Fall. MaYaN I simply do not like and will probably tap out for their set. Galneryus I think should be headlining for numerous reasons but they're one of my most anticipated sets so I will be going nuts during that set. Evergrey, I'll check out, but I think I'll have a hard time sitting through the whole thing.

Friday: Paladin -> Subsignal -> Barren Earth -> Psychotic Waltz -> Orden Ogan -> Seventh Wonder

Okay, here we go. Basically there's nothing I dislike here, but my favorites are at the start, with Paladin and Subsignal. Barren Earth I last heard in 2010 and they reminded me of Opeth big time. Psychotic Waltz, the recordings aren't doing much for me but they sound interesting and I love the band name so the set should be fun. Orden Ogan is kind of bland power metal but I still expect them to rock the house. Seventh Wonder comes close to soap opera levels of drama so I hope their set is filled with more fun, catchy rockers, but it'll be nice to FINALLY see them live.

Saturday: Sorcerer -> Jag Panzer -> Caligula's Horse -> Poets of the Fall -> Threshold -> Demons & Wizards

What a day. Sorcerer's gonna be a great way to kick that day off. Jag Panzer I've never been big on but I'll stick around for a few songs. I'm super hyped for Caligula's Horse even though I don't know all their albums. Poets of the Fall will be interesting, don't love or hate 'em, they're just there. Threshold - I have a short list of songs I want to hear from them, so I really hope they play them (Pilot in the Sky of Dreams probably isn't likely, but Small Dark Lines, Stars & Satellites, maybe some other Dead Reckoning tracks, I don't know). D&W is a big mood and my hype is through the roof for them.

Overall, I think day 1 and 2 this year are weaker than last year (hard to top Voyager and Angra), but days 3 and 4 are much stronger. I cannot wait to bleed my bank account all over Center Stage.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My friend had been talking about that Secret Sphere live in Tokyo album so I finally got it (I also had been watching their youtube videos from it which I enjoyed) but am yet to listen.

The only thing that sucks about the being only 3 weeks out... I don't have enough time to dig into some more music I want to listen to before the show. 

At this point, I am no longer attempting to listen to the following bands:
Tomorrow's Eve (really never gave them a shot)
Subsignal (really never gave them a shot)
Barren Earth
Psychotic Waltz
Jag Panzer
Sanctuary (they are the easiest since I can just stream that album, so they are most likely in this list to get more listens)

Bands I want to listen to more but have A LOT of listening to do that I likely won't get to do much more (in order by how well I know them, least first):
Paladin
Ancient Bards
Sorcerer
Mayan
Poets of the Fall
Evergrey

Bands I am sinking my teeth into new or have been and will continue to:
Insomnium (just listened to Winters Gate again this morning  :metal)
Demons and Wizards (listened to their self titled before Insomnium  :metal)
Secret Sphere (that live album I just got)
Galneryus (I'm trying to explore youtube videos of their music outside the stuff I know, they just have so much music out there)
Orden Ogan (I love Gunman, been listening to this for a long time and still come back to it)

and then there's Seventh Wonder, the only band of the whole festival that I actually knew well and loved going in so I actually have hardly been listening to them and probably won't.  They are my favorite band here and don't need the prep work like the others do/did.

Sadly, things like Kiss, Alice Cooper, Slipknot, and Gojira are currently keeping me from totally dedicating myself to Progpower since I am trying to do my prep work before I see them too (all within the next couple weeks).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Paladin only has the one album, so you should definitely give that a go before the fest is possible! Really good workout tunes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Katt... you and I are almost polar opposites.

Wednesday: Ancient Bards -> Secret Sphere -> Sanctuary -> Insomnium

I actually quite dig Ancient Bards, and am stunned to hear they aren't up your alley.  Their 2019 release was particularly nice (which is a Part 2 to their 2010 (debut?) album).  Secret Sphere... love their new material; old stuff is hit and miss.  The last two acts, there's a solid likelihood I'm probably pulling the ripcord.  I might stick around for Sanctuary, but Insomnium is a hard 'no' for me.  I'll just go back and weep in the room longing for Pretty Maids.

Thursday: Tomorrow's Eve -> MaYaN -> Galneryus -> Evergrey

Tomorrow's Eve is servicable.  MaYaN, love the music, not so much of a fan of the growlies.  Too many guest and missing vocalists from the studio albums to know what they'll really be like in Atlanta.  Galneryus - very pleasant surprise.  Evergrey... will be my 3rd time seeing them.  Love 'em

Friday: Paladin -> Subsignal -> Barren Earth -> Psychotic Waltz -> Orden Ogan -> Seventh Wonder

Lets see: Enjoyable enough ->Schwing! ->bucket of meh -> nope -> right up my alley -> God Tier

Saturday: Sorcerer -> Jag Panzer -> Caligula's Horse -> Poets of the Fall -> Threshold -> Demons & Wizards

Sorcerer will be great, Jag Panzer will be a great opportunity to get lunch.  The Verdict is still out on Caligula's Horse.  Poets of the Fall was a very pleasant surprise.  Not sure how the PPUSA crowd will take to them, they're about as far away from Insomnium as you can get.  Threshold - God Tier.  I'm sure they'll lean heavily on Psychedelicatessen and Legends, but fully expect some of the 'hits' from the Mac and Damian era albums.  D&W ... looking forward to it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Paladin only has the one album, so you should definitely give that a go before the fest is possible! Really good workout tunes.

I enjoyed the one single, but maybe I should up them on my list just because of this reason alone.

Chad, I saw for Mayan that Marcela Bovio had her Visa approved so she will be with them, not sure who else though. I've actually been digging their singles quite a bit lately, really didnt stick with me at all when I've tried but last week they started clicking. Sadly, time is just running low here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chad, it's okay to be that wrong because we share a love for Subsignal. :hug: Ancient Bards is serviceable symphonic power metal but I think the #1 reason I cannot dig them is that they lack identity to me. We'll see how their stage presence is :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Completed my ProgPower 19 re-edit down to four individual videos based on day (not one super crazy long full video since youtube took it down).  I kept it pretty much as is divded by day, added an intro title for each day and then I did a massive cut on SOA's set.  I had to make it so it doesn't trigger another block of my video but I didn't want to just cut them out, so their part of the video is pretty shitty since it has like very little of the 15-20 minutes I filmed of their set  :angry: but hopefully it doesn't get triggered and can stay up without me just cutting them out completely. 

I plan on making the same style video this year so you'll see me on my laptop after each day "going to work" as I call it, when I do my youtubing shit. (just uploading full songs, the huge edit Ill do when I get back home).

Also, looks like I've got my last summer concert at my local shed the day we fly home (Sunday) as a very late announcement.  I think I'll see UB40 with Shaggy  :lol for a nice change of pace slow peaceful sunday concert (assuming my flight lands on time, should be able to watch Giants vs Cowboys as I unpack and unwind, then go to the reggae show).  Red red wiiiiiinnee

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you're doing it for this year too!! But as long as the Artmore parties happen, I ain't seeing shit in the room. I'll be wasted with everyone in the yard  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you're doing it for this year too!! But as long as the Artmore parties happen, I ain't seeing shit in the room. I'll be wasted with everyone in the yard  :lol

:lol well, whenever I am ready to call it a night is work time.   I don't want to miss out on the fun

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I too fail to understand why people wouldn't book all four days, but to each their own.  With flights as a fixed cost, the incremental lodging and ticket costs blend out the days, and make a full four-day 'festival' still very affordable.  I get some might not have sufficient time off, but people traveling in are gonna need to take at least 1 or 2 days off.

:dunno:

Maybe they need to limit the number of international acts - if the cost of visas has been a huge drain on them, then only sign 2 or 3 international acts, and 5-6 domestic ones.  It's not like there's a lack of them.  Question would be, are they still out of pocket for Wind Rose and Pretty Maids visa fees?  If so, then while I feel bad, those are the risks you take as a promoter.  While I'm on one hand sorry for the situation they are in, on the other hand, no one put them there but themselves.  If the acts aren't enough of a draw to generate sufficient ticket sales, whose fault is that?  Not mine.  Also not my fault that visa fees/processing times are ridiculous.  Solve that problem by booking US acts.

You can't please all the people, all the time.  Frankly, with the loss of PM, Day 1 is 50% tripe for me now.  I honestly don't think I'm sticking around after Secret Sphere.  Day 2, better, but the first 2 acts are just ok.

What's the deal with the courtyard party?  Is the Artmore getting bitchy about it?

Maybe thats why JLB cancelled last year. Visas and the promoters not accomidating.

Spa were ok.  But I feel bad for JSS because they had to fly to Japan right after their set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Word from certain reliable birdies is that James dropped at the last minute because he "wasn't getting enough money" to play. Whether that was his words or his agent/manager's, I dunno, but that was the reason given. Let's just say James is on PP's permanent shitlist.