Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 37566 times)

Offline Lethean

OK, so here are my thoughts on the bands - overall I thought this was a good year.  Wednesday/Thursday not super great, but I had fun and Evergrey was there and it was all good.  I only skipped one band the whole weekend, and even then I heard a tiny bit of their set.

Wednesday:
While Heaven Wept - they were a little rusty and I think it showed, but I didn't mind at all.  I'm glad they were able to fill in on such short notice, and I enjoyed their set.  Particularly the Vast Oceans Lachrymose portion.  It would be cool if they reformed and came back with another album.  Moody, kind of dreamy - I like their vibe and liked them the last time they played.

Theocracy - not really my thing.  At the beginning of the set I thought the singer was great, but after a couple songs he started to bother me.  I stuck around for about half the set, then headed out to the lobby to chat with some friends.  While we were talking I could hear the beginning of Time by Angra (which is a fantastic song), and headed right back inside to watch.  I certainly never expected to hear an Angra cover, pretty much ever, and it was nice that they did it as a tribute to Andre Matos.

Sanctuary - I liked them way more than I thought I would.  I didn't care for them so much last time - possibly because I was used to Warrel with Nevermore and didn't care for his vocal style with Sanctuary nearly as much.  Not being familiar with Sanctuary probably worked in my favor this time around, because I wasn't comparing their new singer to Warrel and thought he sounded great.

Insomnium - ehhh - didn't do much for me.  I think I gave them about 25 minutes to make sure, and then headed out.  There was nothing wrong with them, I just wasn't feeling it.

Thursday:
Tomorrow's Eve - enjoyable set; good singer.  I listened to their latest album just a week before, and recognized a song or two in their set.  Nice way to start the day.

Mayan - no thank you.  This is the only band I didn't really give much of a chance; I popped in for less than a minute, was reminded of why I didn't like them last time, and walked right back out.  Spent the set chatting with Kattelox most of the time.

Galneryus - I listened to one of their albums and thought it was possible that I could dig their set.  The album was a little more varied than I'd expected.  But live, it just wasn't the case.  I gave them a full hour because I know how much Kattelox likes them and it didn't kill me, but it was just too speedy and the vocals and I didn't get along too well.

Evergrey - hands down the best band of the festival up to that point.  I've seen Evergrey a lot, with all of the times they've been to ProgPower as well as some headline tours, and this was one of my favorites.  Tom sounded awesome.  They were really intense, heavy, and tight.  I couldn't care less that they didn't play much old stuff.  They played In Search of Truth in its entirety one year, so I was fine with it not having representation this time.  They've been on a strong run since Jonas and Henrik rejoined the band and all of those songs were great live.

Friday:
Paladin - not bad, just not really my thing.  I stuck around for most of the set until they started passing out plastic swords, and took that as my cue to leave. :)

Subsignal - awesome. :)  I've been a fan since the Sieges Even Art of Navigating by the Stars album.  All 5 Subsignal albums are really good, and I was looking forward to this set a lot.  I was not disappointed.  The band was on point, singer was great, they played from all 5 albums, and it was a joy to finally see them.  Their hour set went by in the blink of an eye.  I did have to laugh at the stage banter though - "we don't have much time so I'm not going to talk much."  Shortly after, he proceeds to talk too much. :P  Not enough that they could have played another song though, so it's all good.

Barren Earth - I gave them a song, found them kind of annoying, and went to the lobby to sit down for a bit.  I could actually hear them quite well from there, and it sounded better than inside. :P

Psychotic Waltz - kind of weird, but in a good way.  I liked some of what I heard in preparation, but I do wish I had been a little more familiar with them.  Either way, it was a good set and Devon Graves is a really entertaining front man.  They seemed to have a dedicated following of fans who were super excited to get to see them.

Orden Ogan - Cheers to them for pulling off such a great set while having to make last minute adjustments.  They've been playing with backing tracks for the bass over the last year - their singer/guitar player broke his thumb, so the bass player switched to guitar to play the singers parts, and they made do with backing tracks for bass while trying to find someone.  They wouldn't have been able to in time for ProgPower, so it was going to be the singer in the center, guitarists on the left and right, piped in bass.  But then their lead guitar player was unable to attend at the last minute, so the singer had to play, but not his own parts, because those were the parts the bass player had learned. He had to learn the parts of the guy who couldn't make it, and said he had about 12 hours to do it.  I guess they thought it would just be too weird with only two guys on stage besides the drummer, so their lighting guy learned the bass parts in those 12 hours as well.  The show came off really well despite all that, they were energetic, the crowd was into it and they were certainly my favorite power metal set to that point.  They're a little heavier than some of the other bands but less speedy, and that works so much better for me.

Seventh Wonder - I really should like this band more than I do.  Something just isn't there for me.  I did watch the whole thing though, enjoyed some songs, thought Tommy sounded good, thought the bass player was really good, as always.  Great set, wouldn't skip them... but was also ready for them to be done when it was time.

Saturday:
Sorcerer - maybe the surprise of the weekend for me.  I didn't think I'd dislike them; just wasn't sure.  Their set was killer.  Great vocals, backing vocals, good guitar players.  I'll be checking them out to see how I like their studio albums.

Jag Panzer - not bad.  Singer was good, good set, no real complaints.  I watched about half and was satisfied with that.

Caligula's Horse - unbelievable.  When I started listening to them a few months ago, I was wondering why no one sent them to me in my roulette.  I read a comment that people were expecting them to be a sleepy prog band live - I didn't expect that at all.  I thought they'd be good, or even great.  Nonetheless, I still wasn't prepared for them to be as good as they were. They were on fire, the crowd was nuts, and it was just intense.  Heavy parts, emotional parts, they had everything.  I really hope they do come back and sooner rather than later.

Poets of the Fall - enjoyable.  I don't know their song titles well enough, but I do know they didn't play anything from the album I liked most (Clearview).  But they were good; I was maybe restless towards the end but it was nice to sit back and watch them in between Caligula's Horse and Threshold.

Threshold - I felt like the happiest person on the planet during their set.  I can't even explain how much I love that band.  I sponsored them, which I've never done before.  It meant I got to watch their whole set in front of the barrier.  You also get to watch 2 songs from every other band up there.  I did it for Subsignal and the sound was so bad that I was kind of relieved that I had to leave.  So for Threshold, I wanted to be up close but wanted to be able to hear them even more.  I decided to go up there, see how it went, and I'd probably go back to the soundboard after a while.  No.  Once I was there, I didn't move.  I took my earplugs out and decided to just deal with it.  After a bit I didn't notice or care.  They sounded fantastic.  Glynn sounded fantastic.  Johanne is awesome and is entertaining even when he's not playing - acting out the intros of songs and stuff like that.  I think I sang every word except when I was smiling so hard I was almost laughing because it was so good.  I was so close I could have tied Karl's shoes for him when he came to the front of the stage.  Legends of the Shires is one of my favorite Threshold albums, one of my favorite albums period, and they played a lot from it and it was incredible.  Afterwards, I got to do the meet and greet and it was really cool.  At first it was stressful because the crew told us we had to be done by 10 (and the show ended at 9:45) because no one could be around when Demons and Wizards came through; but Threshold barely got to their dressing room and had time to change before it was 10.  Thankfully, they kind of discarded that notion and let everyone meet the band and talk with them.  I'd met them before, and as always, they were really nice, laid back, and humble.  It was pretty much perfect.  On a side note - I had a text from Kattelox which he sent in the middle of their set talking about how he was having fun - it was well after Slipstream and well before Small Dark Lines, so I imagine he liked at least 3 songs. :P

Demons and Wizards - great, great set.  I'm way more of a Blind Guardian fan than Iced Earth, but have no issues with this project.  Hansi's one of a kind and that was just a really fun set.  I did see that Kattelox texted me about his promised drink during the middle of it; I don't usually look at my phone while I'm enjoying a set, but I did check during Valhalla and thought I could get him one while the crowd sang for 20 minutes. :P  No luck, so we'll have to do it next time.  And we will.  It's too bad you couldn't get back stage Katt, because I would have given you 3 or 4 drink tickets.

I had a blast this year and it was cool meeting cramx and jingle.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
What's this "sponsoring" thing I keep hearing about?  Is that like a GoFundMe for the band or something?  Where instead of funding the event through tickets (or in addition to it) you pledge some money to a specific band? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I'll let Lethean spill the details on that 'cause he's actually done it and I haven't. I totally plan on doing it next year for the Quest though.

@Lethean: I'm really happy you gave Galneryus a fair shot (even moreso in hindsight after watching Threshold  :lol). They're a very niche taste, but the following they do have is diehard, and I'm so proud of the audience for giving them the energy they deserved. (And for the drink, there was no freaking way I was leaving the chamber during D&W - especially during Valhalla!!)

I can also confirm that of all the times I've hung out with Lethean in person I have never seen him close to being that happy after a set. I could see his aura.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
What's this "sponsoring" thing I keep hearing about?  Is that like a GoFundMe for the band or something?  Where instead of funding the event through tickets (or in addition to it) you pledge some money to a specific band?

Exactly.  I've never attended the fest, but I've followed it for a long time.  Glenn allows individuals to sponsor a specific band or sometimes maybe even the general fest for $500, paid up front and non-refundable.  That gets you extra special perks.  In the past, it was a private meet & greet with the band(s) as their sponsor and being in front of the rail for the set of the band that you sponsored.  In the years where photography was bannned, it may have even included being able to take pictures of that band.  Not sure if any of that has changed.  Attendees would post a list of bands they would be willing to sponsor and if he booked a band from your list, you were then on the hook for the $500. 

It was a way to enhance the budget or bring a special band or performance to the fest.  If band X costs too much money for his budget, he can open it up to sponsors to make up the difference.  Or he'd post online saying "hey, if I get X number of sponsors, I'll book a surprise band/set"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
What happens if the band cancels or has problems with visas? Are you royally screwed out of five hundred bucks?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
What happens if the band cancels or has problems with visas? Are you royally screwed out of five hundred bucks?

You can pass it on to another band at the fest, or 'pay it forward' so to speak for a band that will play the next year. It's not refundable though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

@Lethean: I'm really happy you gave Galneryus a fair shot (even moreso in hindsight after watching Threshold  :lol). They're a very niche taste, but the following they do have is diehard, and I'm so proud of the audience for giving them the energy they deserved. (And for the drink, there was no freaking way I was leaving the chamber during D&W - especially during Valhalla!!)

Yeah, I knew that they had a following from some of the comments leading up to the event, and I was really happy for their fans who finally got to see them.  They had a great crowd reaction, so I think they were probably glad they came as well.  I will say though that I was *not* surprised that they weren't responsible for a sell out.  I read so many comments from people who didn't understand why it didn't sell out based on Galneryus alone, and I think those people overestimated the band's reach.  I bet there were indeed some people who bought a ticket they otherwise wouldn't have because of them, but for the most part, I think those excited to see them were coming for ProgPower anyway.  Which isn't a criticism, just the way it is.  For me, I have give them another look, especially if you have some less speedy recommendations. :)

Valhalla - no biggie. :)  The sing-along wasn't as long as it's been for BG, so it's probably for the best we didn't try to duck out then.

Offline Lethean

You can pass it on to another band at the fest, or 'pay it forward' so to speak for a band that will play the next year. It's not refundable though.

I didn't know you could roll it to the next year.  I assumed you would just have to choose a different band on the roster.

Grappler pretty much has it right as far as the details go.  The main perks are getting a meet and greet with your band and getting watch the whole set in front of the barrier.  You can also choose to watch the 1st two songs of all bands in front.  You get drink tickets for the backstage bar.  If you really want to meet a different band in addition to the one you sponsored, I think they try to make that happen too.  It was a cool experience.  Sponsorships for days 3 and 4 are pretty much closed though.  If you're interested in sponsoring a day 1 or 2 band, there are posts on the ProgPower facebook page for who to contact.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's what Nathan/Milton told me, anyway. Although I'm still unclear about next year, if I sponsor day 1, do I get a day 2 ticket since Milton and Nathan are doing split days? I asked Milton last night but it didn't totally clear it up since Nathan said a day 1 sponsorship includes both days. I'm gonna follow up with Nathan  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Valhalla - no biggie. :)  The sing-along wasn't as long as it's been for BG, so it's probably for the best we didn't try to duck out then.

I was here for BG a few years ago, my first PP, but that was before I ever went to the Artmore after parties, that year though did the sing along go long into the night/morning?   :lol Also, loved reading your write up today on the beach, also Kat's I read yesterday.  I've got to do one as well, I mean to just been busy. 

Offline Lethean

I was here for BG a few years ago, my first PP, but that was before I ever went to the Artmore after parties, that year though did the sing along go long into the night/morning?   :lol Also, loved reading your write up today on the beach, also Kat's I read yesterday.  I've got to do one as well, I mean to just been busy.

No no - I was just referring to the standard Valhalla sing along during a standard BG set.  Sometimes it feels like it goes on forever, and there's time to get a drink or go to the bathroom and not miss anything. :)  Glad you enjoyed the write up - I totally wish I could have been writing from the beach.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
My turn now ...

Wednesday:
While Heaven Wept - I dug their sound as I was sampling their stuff leading up to the festival, and they put on a really enjoyable set.  Can't really say much more than that, as it was just a precursor to the next set.

Theocracy - TOTALLY my thing!  Top 3 set of the festival for me.  Matt Smith is my new vocal male crush.  I always loved his sound, and live, he just absolutely slayed it.  I was mesmerized the whole set.  It certainly helps that I was hoping for three specific songs, and they did all three - Ghost Ship, Master Storyteller, and I Am.  I was totally expecting the vocal speed lines in the middle of I Am to be sampled in, but Matt actually doing them live was impressive as shit.  I caught the drummer in the lobby afterwards, and had a quick chat. 

Sanctuary - I was barely on the fence about these guys leading up to the festival.  Old school 'thrash' metal bands were never my thing.  I stuck around for 1/2 of it, but the while the scream-o vocals were pretty impressive, they got very tiresome very fast.

Insomnium - They were a hard 'no' for me before I even arrived in Atlanta.  I was totally intending to go back to the suite and load up my Pretty Maids DVD, but low and behold, my roommates all came back for some drinks, and also never saw any of this set - so I never did get to watch it (until Saturday).

Thursday:
Tomorrow's Eve - I completely echo Lethean's comments.  Their vocalist is a middle-of-the-road sound for me.  Nothing that wows me, but nothing bad.  Very narrow range, but pretty consistent.  Their music isn't bad, but it also doesn't wow me.  They were enjoyable enough.

Mayan - Someone described them as Death-Metal Avantasia.  Fairly accurate - 5 instrumentalists; 5 vocalists (2 sopranos; 2 harsh; 1 male clean).  I like their quasi symphonic sound well enough that I could tolerate the growls.  They did a great job giving all 5 vocalists an appropriate amount to shine.

Galneryus - of all the bands I that I didn't already know going in, they were the ones I spent the most time with before the festival.  Really good stuff.  They were energetic as hell, and the crowd was totally in to it.  Fan base was quite extreme - lots loved them and thought they walked on water, or were God's gift to power metal or something.  They were cool ... the new song they did was great.  Cram and I had a great vantage spot to take in the set, and the floor crowd.

Evergrey - I've seen Evergrey 2 or 3 times before, and they are a top-10 prog-metal band for me.  Loading up the set on the last three albums was just fine, and it was a heavy-af set.  All 5 of them were on point - Tom sounded great, and is a terrific front-man.  2nd best set of the show, imo.  And I'm sure Henrik did get paid in pussy at some point.  He was hitting on a bunch of ladies at the Artmore (as usual).

Friday:
Paladin - I was intrigued by them.  They were clearly having a ball, and doing everything they could to put on a good show.  I just didn't know their music well enough (played the album 3-4 times I think) to really appreciate them.

Subsignal - they were indeed awesome.  I ended up right behind Matt Smith on the rail - it's so cool to see the bands taking in other acts as fans.  They were so tight and clean.  Really good set, but unlike Theocracy, they did none of the songs I was hoping to hear.  C'est la vie.  Still a very good set - probably the least metal act of the whole show, but that was just fine with me.  I love all 5 of their albums, and Arno sounded phenomenal on the mic - except when it crapped out on him.

Barren Earth - This was my opportunity to go get some dinner.

Psychotic Waltz - Cram and I gave them 4-5 songs before pulling the ripcord.  As much as I liked Devon Graves on The Human Equation, and as good as I liked a couple of their studio albums, they weren't clicking for me live.

Orden Ogan - I'll echo what Lethean said - very impressive to lose their lead guitarist (personal issue, he had to fly home) 12 hours before the set, and to re-jig the lineup and put on as good of a show as they did.  I was VERY in to their music (had never heard of them before PPUSA, but did a LOT of listening to them).  Right up my alley, and they nailed everything live - except when all of the instruments went dead for about 30 seconds!  The floor crowd was absolutely nuts!  They had bigger crowd participation than Galneryus.  Ended up buying 3 of their albums the very next morning.

Seventh Wonder - Cram is gonna rage at me for this, but they were my biggest disappointment - probably because I had such high expectations.  It wasn't a bad set by any means, but I gotta air my grievances - and there are a few.  First, they sampled in Tommy's backing vocals, and at times it was as prominent in the mix as his lead line was.  On MORE than a few occasions, he was holding the mic down at his side, and his (backing) vocal line was coming in loud and clear. It was tantamount to lip-sync'g, and very off putting.  Next, as the headline act for day 3, you'd think they'd put on a longer set than 90 minutes.  There was no need for the keyboard/drum jam.  Why not give us The Great Escape in full?  Where were songs like Victorious or Funeral Pyres?  Those would have been PERFECT songs for the PPUSA crowd.  The setlist was rather disappointing, tbh.  Lastly, Tommy's vocal was way down in the mix, at least from where I was standing on the floor - about 4 rows from the rail, right side of the floor.  There were many times I had trouble actually hearing him over the music.

But other than that, they were great!!   :lol

Saturday:
Sorcerer - I love Anders Engberg's voice - though, from Speaking to Stones and Section A.  So, hearing him in "Doom Metal" was a bit of a twist - though, in listening thru their studio compilations, I wasn't sure why they're classified as 'doom'.  After hearing their set in Atlanta, 'doom' it is.  It wasn't bad, but I was starting to feel the effects of the bug that I picked up, and spent a lot of their set shivering in my seat.

Jag Panzer - I had planned to check out a bit of them, but I was dyin, and headed back to my room for a nap.

Caligula's Horse - still napping.... though I hadn't planned to watch them.  Like Lethean and Seventh Wonder, I should like these guys, but something doesn't click.

Poets of the Fall - having recovered with some rest and some dinner, I was ready for the rest of the evening.  Rivalling Subsignal for the least-heavy set of the show, this was a lot of fun, and much more up my alley then most of the other bands on Day 4.  Thoroughly enjoyed them.

Threshold - Set of the show for me.  Love Threshold (though clearly not as much as Lethean… who I could tell was on cloud 9 being just a little off to my right inside the rails).  The setlist was awesome, though it was mildly unsettling not hearing Mac’s voice on Mac-era songs.  Glynn did a fine job on them, but Mac is just so unique, it took a little getting used to.  Johanne is a show in and of himself.  I probably spent the most time watching him - whether drumming, or just being a character in the mellow moments.  I love Legends of the Shire, so doing 8 tracks from that was just fine by me… but I would’ve been ok if they had dropped one of the 10+ minute tracks for a couple of others from their library.  Considering I’m a Damian fanboy, I was hoping for some of those tunes, but wasn’t at all surprised that there weren’t any to be heard.

Demons and Wizards -  honestly, 10lbs of meh in a 5lb bucket.  I’m a middle-of-the-road BG fan, and not a fan of IE at all.  I enjoyed listening to the D&W albums leading up to the fest, but live … Jesus H Christ … the rhythm section was the epitome of ‘brick walled’.  It’s like the sound engineer just pushed all the levers to the top of the board, and delivered a tsunami of bass and drums.  It probably wouldn’t have mattered who was playing, anything was going to be a let down after that Threshold set.  It’s ironic how they closing - and best - song is their least heavy.  Fiddler on the Green was a great way to end it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Demons and Wizards -  honestly, 10lbs of meh in a 5lb bucket.  I’m a middle-of-the-road BG fan, and not a fan of IE at all.  I enjoyed listening to the D&W albums leading up to the fest, but live … Jesus H Christ … the rhythm section was the epitome of ‘brick walled’.  It’s like the sound engineer just pushed all the levers to the top of the board, and delivered a tsunami of bass and drums.  It probably wouldn’t have mattered who was playing, anything was going to be a let down after that Threshold set.  It’s ironic how they closing - and best - song is their least heavy.  Fiddler on the Green was a great way to end it.

no u

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes!  Me!!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Seventh Wonder - Cram is gonna rage at me for this, but they were my biggest disappointment - probably because I had such high expectations.  It wasn't a bad set by any means, but I gotta air my grievances - and there are a few.  First, they sampled in Tommy's backing vocals, and at times it was as prominent in the mix as his lead line was.  On MORE than a few occasions, he was holding the mic down at his side, and his (backing) vocal line was coming in loud and clear. It was tantamount to lip-sync'g, and very off putting.  Next, as the headline act for day 3, you'd think they'd put on a longer set than 90 minutes.  There was no need for the keyboard/drum jam.  Why not give us The Great Escape in full?  Where were songs like Victorious or Funeral Pyres?  Those would have been PERFECT songs for the PPUSA crowd.  The setlist was rather disappointing, tbh.  Lastly, Tommy's vocal was way down in the mix, at least from where I was standing on the floor - about 4 rows from the rail, right side of the floor.  There were many times I had trouble actually hearing him over the music.

They may have been my #1 set, but they had some noticeable mishaps, and I agree Tommy was not loud enough.  They did an old song instead of a new song for the surprise, I wish it was Pyres...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I simply cannot get into Seventh Wonder.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Clearly D&W is so heavy Chad can't lift it. Stick to the lighter stuff like Threshold  ;) :lol

Offline Lethean

My turn now ...

Evergrey - I've seen Evergrey 2 or 3 times before, and they are a top-10 prog-metal band for me.  Loading up the set on the last three albums was just fine, and it was a heavy-af set.  All 5 of them were on point - Tom sounded great, and is a terrific front-man.

Yes indeed.  :metal

Subsignal - they were indeed awesome.  I ended up right behind Matt Smith on the rail - it's so cool to see the bands taking in other acts as fans.  They were so tight and clean.  Really good set, but unlike Theocracy, they did none of the songs I was hoping to hear.  C'est la vie.  Still a very good set - probably the least metal act of the whole show, but that was just fine with me.  I love all 5 of their albums, and Arno sounded phenomenal on the mic - except when it crapped out on him.
This year went really well as far as mic problems - only one time during the whole weekend (unless it happened during Mayan or something).  There was a song or two I would have liked added to their set, but I was down for anything and it was all good for me.  Walking with Ghosts seemed like an odd choice at first, but it turned out really well.

But other than that, they were great!!   :lol
Interesting.... so maybe I just wasn't that into them because they kinda sucked...  ;)  Actually I thought they were way better than the last time they played.

Caligula's Horse - still napping.... though I hadn't planned to watch them.  Like Lethean and Seventh Wonder, I should like these guys, but something doesn't click.
That's too bad - I was really curious about how you would like them live.  Quite a few people said they weren't expecting to like them, thought they'd only stay for a song or two, and wound up staying for the whole set.  They were intense.

Threshold - Set of the show for me.  Love Threshold (though clearly not as much as Lethean… who I could tell was on cloud 9 being just a little off to my right inside the rails).  The setlist was awesome, though it was mildly unsettling not hearing Mac’s voice on Mac-era songs.  Glynn did a fine job on them, but Mac is just so unique, it took a little getting used to.  Johanne is a show in and of himself.  I probably spent the most time watching him - whether drumming, or just being a character in the mellow moments.  I love Legends of the Shire, so doing 8 tracks from that was just fine by me… but I would’ve been ok if they had dropped one of the 10+ minute tracks for a couple of others from their library.  Considering I’m a Damian fanboy, I was hoping for some of those tunes, but wasn’t at all surprised that there weren’t any to be heard.

:metal :metal  So glad you liked them so much. :) :)  I'd love for them to start working a few Damian songs into their set again, but I think they'll have to make some accommodations for Glynn's voice if they do.  I want to hear some more Mac stuff eventually too.  As awesome as Damian is (and he really is), he couldn't quite do the Mac songs justice, and I think Glynn does.  It's not the same of course, but I've heard him a few times on those songs now and have really come to enjoy his take on them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Clearly D&W is so heavy Chad can't lift it. Stick to the lighter stuff like Threshold  ;) :lol

Just because Threshold is clean (er than D&W) doesn't mean they aren't heavy.  Same with Evergrey - who were just as heavy as D&W, just not in a 'brickwalled' way. You don't need a wall/wave of sound to be heavy  :-*

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Just because Threshold is clean (er than D&W) doesn't mean they aren't heavy.  Same with Evergrey - who were just as heavy as D&W, just not in a 'brickwalled' way. You don't need a wall/wave of sound to be heavy  :-*

I'm not sure where you were for the set but I was right up on the stage to the right for the whole show (and in front of the barricade for the first 2 songs) and I thought the sound was fantastic. I've not had good experiences with the sound on the left side of the room, but on the right side this year it sounded excellent to me. I could hear everything clearly anyway.

In all seriousness though yeah the rhythm section is pretty loud but I like it that way personally. And Jon Schaffer is the world's tightest rhythm guitarist. That guy is just insane. Friend of mine said he got carpal tunnel just watching him pick  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

I'm not sure where you were for the set but I was right up on the stage to the right for the whole show (and in front of the barricade for the first 2 songs) and I thought the sound was fantastic. I've not had good experiences with the sound on the left side of the room, but on the right side this year it sounded excellent to me. I could hear everything clearly anyway.

In all seriousness though yeah the rhythm section is pretty loud but I like it that way personally. And Jon Schaffer is the world's tightest rhythm guitarist. That guy is just insane. Friend of mine said he got carpal tunnel just watching him pick :lol

HAHA, that's a great line.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

In all seriousness though yeah the rhythm section is pretty loud but I like it that way personally. And Jon Schaffer is the world's tightest rhythm guitarist. That guy is just insane. Friend of mine said he got carpal tunnel just watching him pick :lol

HAHA, that's a great line.

If you have time, check out the D&W song "Crimson King" and tell me that rhythm guitar line isn't a recipe for wrist damage.

Offline Lethean

I think PP often has problems with the bass and drums being too loud, often at the expense of the guitar.  And I say this as someone who really wants the bass to be audible.  I think Angra usually has a good balance; you can hear the guitar players just fine and the bass is loud enough so you can hear all the intricate stuff Felipe is doing.  Some other bands, and sometimes at PP, the bass has that fuzzy sound and it overruns everything else.

I didn't have a particular problem with D&W, but you know I was just so happy after that Threshold set that nothing seemed like a problem at all.  I watched some of D&W from the floor, some from the seats, and just had fun.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I was indeed on the left side of the bowl right on the stairway between the last 2 sections ... so yeah, maybe that had something to do with it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was indeed on the left side of the bowl right on the stairway between the last 2 sections ... so yeah, maybe that had something to do with it.

I've heard lots of people they say they have problems hearing vocals particularly on that side of the pit unfortunately.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Crawl out of whatever hole you dragged yourself into by October 12th, and make sure you squeeze your wallet and score your tickets before they vanish into thin air, leaving your repented metal-head soul screaming in pain...

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/progpower-usa-xxi-lineup-announced/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Got home from Aruba and figured I'd start writing out my feelings and thoughts from this year's ProgPower... I only wrote up the first two days and I am feeling pretty exhausted, but here's what I got for now:

Progpower thoughts

So it's been a week (almost) since ProgPower 20 and I haven't had a chance to write out my thoughts of feelings yet since as soon as I got home, I changed pace and caught a local reggae show (UB40) before catching another flight out to Aruba for some R&R.  It did give me a lot of time to reflect and watch all of my own videos I from the festival.  Anyway, let's get going with my full review...

Day 1:

The festival started with a workout with Chad and Mike after arriving early Wednesday afternoon.  We had a really nice airbnb with a perfect location just a 5 minute walk away from the awesome Center Stage.  But before the fest, we needed to stock the place up with booze.  So we grabbed an awesome and super filling lunch at the Vortex before hitting up the booze store nearby, catching an uber back without stock.  How fun is this already and the music hasn't even started?
This day was my least anticipated of the four since it had so many line up changes, I never really got to sink my teeth into some of these bands.  It started with While Heaven Wept and without ever hearing anything before from them, I enjoyed it.  It wasn't all my thing, but they hit a few spots that I really enjoy.  Their show was DARK, hard to see them on stage, but this was a solid way to open the fest.

Next was Theocracy, and this is what I meant when I say there wasn't enough time for me to dig my teeth into these bands.  I thought they blew the roof off Center Stage.  Easily the best band of the night for me, and I only wish I knew their music more because it seemed right up my ally.  They did an Angra cover that was really sweet too.  I started this one in the seats and ended up dead center in the pit with a big smile on my face.  To me, this is what ProgPower has been about, discovering new bands. 

Then came Sanctuary, and I really did enjoy their guitar work.  I've always loved those thrashy guitar riffs and they delivered.  Vocally, I don't think they were my thing though, a bit too much of the high notes and while I was rocking out on the floor for a bit, I wasn't fully captivated by them.  It's just not exactly my music, but they were enjoyable for sure. 

The night ended with Insomnium, and man they are just so heavy and yet so beautiful.  I didn't know pretty much anything they played.  Now, I can't blame a schedule for that, it's just that I only had one album (WInters Gate, which I love).  I did leave early though, went back to the room and boozed with the guys before heading out to the Artmore after party.  I called it an early night though around 1am and went to bed knowing this was only an appetizer before a 3 course meal.

Day 2:

Man this was a good day for me.  Day started with a bike ride before taking a dip in the pool at the airbnb and another delicious lunch with the guys.  The show started with Tomorrow's Ever but they were the first band I missed completely as I just got right on line for Galneryus' signing session since it was a strict 30 minute limit.  Meeting them was sooooo cool and worth it.  For one, they spoke more english than I realized so I was able to talk to them all, second they all shook my hand (they reached out first) and I found that super cool for them to want to interact in that way.  Apparently I heard from someone else that people in Japan were super jealous of this signing session here in the US.  I also picked up their only item for sale, which was a special event tshirt and it sold out so I'm glad I got that.

The first band I saw was the next one, Mayan.  Now Mayan are maybe a bit too heavy for me.  I do really like Epica, but I feel like this is a more hardcore Epica and that does have some positives to it.   I felt thier live show was very theatrical with all the singers, and that made me really enjoy it.  Seeing all these different and awesome singers come and go throughout the songs kept me on the egde of my seat.  Also, this band has lots of members I really like, such as Merel (who not left Delain), Arien and Mark from Epica, Marcela from Stream of Passion (and other Aryeon projects), George who did work with Delain and Within Temptation... and man they were awesome.  I really wanted to go to their signing session but I got there just too late... but they stuck around for pictures and I managed to get one with the entire band (and I held Merel so tight) Man, that's probably my favorite pic from the festival!
Then came Galneryus, WOW.  I knew the first and last two songs, none of the rest, but it was all played flawlessly with such precision and mastership.  Other than the keyboardist having a small amount of technical difficulties in the beginning, they just slaughetered Center Stage.  This is annother set where I started in my seat and ended on the floor in the center of the pit.  I wanted to get a lot of video of them, I did, and then I went out and had a blast down front.  The band seemed so into it and smiles all around.  They seemed to enjoy the US crowd who really loved them back.  Also, managed to get a Syu guitar pic!  My most prized of my PP20 loot.

The evening ended with ProgPower super alums Evergrey.  I caught them earlier in the year in the Netherlands opening for Kamelot, so I wasn't quite as hyped as I was initially, but they certainly delivered.  Chad and I were close up in the pit for this set.  They sounded soooo heavy and tight.  They were awesome!  Really really enjoyed them more than I expected.  I was hoping they'd do something interesting for the festival, but they did not.  Just their normal headline show, which was fine. 
I think this night I was the drunkest, we all got really toasty and went out to the artmore after.  This was easily the most fun I had, I chilled inside by the bar and just watched as Tom from Evergrey and Nick from Redemption came in, and took the corner of the bar with people all surrounding them (including myself, I was already there but now I wasn't moving).  Asked Tom if he wanted a drink, he then said he was good with his wine but his buddy, Jonas (the drummer of Evergrey) would like one.... and so Jonas and I drank together for a bit.  Bought two rounds for us, he drank wiskey and I drank Vodka.  I was pretty toasted by this point, can hardly recall what we talked about, just being from Sweden and how they had to get back on the tour bus in a few hours to leave for the next show.  Just an awesome experience.  After leaving the bar, I saw Merel and Arien.  Of course I got selfies with both of them.  Man was I sooooo happy getting into bed this night.  THIS IS PROGPOWER is how I felt.

^ I HATE how those selfies came out blurry, I guess we all had the beer goggles on at that point

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
omg I can't tell if that's a bigger burn on me or poor adorable Merel  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Considering I have no idea who Merel is... :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Considering I have no idea who Merel is... :lol

She's in MaYaN. Until recently was one of the guitarists for Delain. She's a year younger than me and a total babe and I walked right past her a few times but couldn't work up the courage to say hi which is funny because I'm like a foot taller than her at least :lol

Offline Lethean

Threshold - The setlist was awesome, though it was mildly unsettling not hearing Mac’s voice on Mac-era songs.  Glynn did a fine job on them, but Mac is just so unique, it took a little getting used to.

So, today I reread something I wrote after seeing them with for the first time with Glynn last year in Canada.  For pretty much every Mac track I said Glynn sounded great and was better suited than Damian had been, but I missed Mac's voice.  The very next show (the next day), I was already more settled and more able to take it in and just enjoy.  By now, I'm totally down with it.  Of course I still miss Mac's voice and it's still in the back of my mind, but now I can just genuinely connect with Glynn's performance of these songs and (mostly) stop comparing.  I suppose Pressure might still be a bit of an exception - I don't know if it's me or if Glynn hasn't locked into it as much as the others. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I truly lost interest after Mac left. I am really not a fan of Damian's voice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did any of you guys that met Matt Smith ask about a new Theocracy album?

Offline Lethean

I truly lost interest after Mac left. I am really not a fan of Damian's voice.

I get that, though I am a fan of Damian, just not like I was for Mac.  Did you ever listen to the new one?