Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 37211 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Stadler, I've met Firewings and have now met two members of DTF but *someone* from the MP forum remains elusive....

It'll happen.  We were close with that... was it Angra?   Based on the feedback, it'd be cool to go to ProgPower next year; problem is, I'm not sure I've ever heard of even one band. 

Offline Lethean

Stadler, I've met Firewings and have now met two members of DTF but *someone* from the MP forum remains elusive....

It'll happen.  We were close with that... was it Angra?   Based on the feedback, it'd be cool to go to ProgPower next year; problem is, I'm not sure I've ever heard of even one band.

Well, you've heard of Queen... :neverusethis:

You've heard of Rhapsody if you've ever read one of Firewings' posts...

I have a lot of homework to do myself with this lineup, but I know there will be bands I enjoy as I discover them.  I am very excited about Conception though.

I hope you're planning to see DT on their second leg. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
DT is 60-40 at this point.

Yeah, I like, no I LOVE, Queen, I'm not sure I like JSS singing it, though.  I have a Queen tribute album and he's on three songs on there, and it's... average.   I don't say that to be negative, or to say that's the only reason I would/would not go, but... it's more my frustration with the SoA sitch. 

Offline Lethean

Oh no I get you on that.  The first thing I said when it was announced is "how is he going to pull off a whole set of that?"  I'm not even a Queen fan (no hate, I just never really explored them and what I do know is hit or miss for me).

I will say he was great at PP with his solo stuff... Maybe he'll rearrange some vocal parts and it'll sound OK.  I bet his band will be able to sing too. They were great with backing vocals during his solo set.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know more of the bands for next year than I did last, but none of them are "need to be there" bands for me, yet.  Got a year to discovery and learn their music.  As of now, I expect to be back.  The only negative thing I can say is that I'm not a huge fan of The Gathering, but I do love Anneke's vocals so even then, they will still be a pleasure to watch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I would go just to hear Anneke sing.

Offline Lethean

As far as I know (which isn't much!) Silje is still in The Gathering and will be there next year.  Someone on the FB announcement post suggested seeing Anneke on tour this year if you want to see her; ProgPower hasn't contradicted that.  Of course it's possible they could still be working out the details.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didnt even think they were still a band at all anymore and assumed it would be Anneke since she has history with the festival. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

Get your ass to ProgPower so we can hang out :2metal: People on the Facebook group make playlists of every band, if you'd be interested in listening, I can send you a Spotify link.

So, ProgPower this year was INCREDIBLE, but the journey back was a fucking nightmare (car blowing fuses and the engine turning off every 15 minutes on the road, then driving 2 hours through the dark with no dash or tail or brake lights, only to finally get stopped - TWICE - by cops in my home town, right next to where I live) and I am officially going to fly next year instead. I barely made it there this year and I'm pretty much "BROKE AF" as the kids say right now, and I don't want to spend 13 hours on the road again. (Thankfully the cops let me go and were extremely cool, and just told me to 'get it fixed ASAP')

Might post pics later... or this weekend... I'm just napping and cleaning up for now and organizing photos. The people at ProgPower are my absolute best friends and despite all the shit I've had to deal with it's been the best week of my life, no exaggeration.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Time to get over your fears and hit the air

I've spent my entire day going through my videos.  Finished editting 3 days and will do day 4 later but my eyes/ears need a break.  I think everything from last week caught up with me today (I did go to a concert here last night too, but that was a chill reggae night, not a killer night like the past) but both my leg muscles are practically dead and my stomach has been really upset plus a light headache.  Not as bad as Chad, but a day of rest home was exactly what I needed today.

Must say I'm not pleased with my days 1 and 3 videos, really didn't capture as much or anything of high quality.  Day 2 however is fantastic and I got maybe my favorite clip of the entire festival which was a brief 3 second chat between Jingle and Tom during Evergrey's set  :rollin I'm not sure I want to spoil what he says but it's so funny and innapropriate plus Tom's quick non reaction  :rollin

I'll upload Day 1 later, and then follow up with each day this week another day while I'm on the beach in Aruba.  I need a nap now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Day 2 however is fantastic and I got maybe my favorite clip of the entire festival which was a brief 3 second chat between Jingle and Tom during Evergrey's set  :rollin I'm not sure I want to spoil what he says but it's so funny and innapropriate plus Tom's quick non reaction  :rollin

Oh fuck... you got that!?!?!   :rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I'm definitely intrigued now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
My thoughts on each band this year:

While Heaven Wept: Not my thing but they were fun to watch. Didn't catch the whole set, just the last few songs. They sounded good.
Theocracy: Awesome set, one of my favorites of the festival, definitely my day 1 highlight. Put on a quality power metal show including a tribute to Andre Matos with the song "Time" - excellent show.
Sanctuary - One of my friends is all pissy about how Sanctuary shouldn't even be a thing because Warrel Dane isn't here anymore, but Joseph Michael did an awesome job, caught about half the set and it was awesome, so much heavier and fun than the original recording, and Joseph Michael himself is really cool.
Insomnium - didn't watch, only thought about watching because of Jani Liimatainen, but it's not a big loss for me.

Tomorrow's Eve - Okay day 2 was a real snoozefest for me to be honest. Didn't watch Tomorrow's Eve much, I caught some songs but they didn't leave an impression on me.
MaYaN - This was the only band of the festival that I simply cannot stand, so I didn't watch them. Stayed out in the lobby for them.
Galneryus - FAVORITE SET OF THE FESTIVAL and one of the two bands that instantly sold me on PPUSA 2019. Audience's energy was electric and they brought the house down. Most of my friends (who lean toward power metal over prog, mind) agree this was their favorite set as well.
Evergrey - Dullsville, didn't watch. "Hi I'm Tom Englund and I'm a sad boi listen to my angst" no thank you

Paladin - Awesome set, they had a big ol' crane there filming the whole show and they ripped. Super cool guys off stage too. That night Taylor and I found ourselves playing with cats.  :lol They also covered Lost Horizon's "Perfect Warrior" which was really cool.
Subsignal - Another favorite band of the set and the bassist and keyboardist fully acknowledged my enthusiasm especially when they played my favorite song "Even Though The Stars Don't Shine." Their sound in particular was one of the best of the fest imo - everything was crystal clear and warm.
Barren Earth - Didn't watch, not interested
Psychotic Waltz - Wanted to catch at least a few songs but got caught up with a friend I had not seen all festival and by the time I walked in to watch the set they literally played for about 10 seconds before wrapping up.  :facepalm: Oh well  :lol
Orden Ogan - This was a fun set, although I didn't stay for all of it. I watched a few songs and they sounded really good live but their whole schtick isn't my cup of tea. Went back, took a shower, came back for a couple songs and left again.
Seventh Wonder - I've always said the only song I wanted to hear them play was Not An Angel but they haven't played that in 10 years or something. So when I dipped out to party at the Artmore and got a text from a friend saying "Dude, Not An Angel." I about launched my phone across the courtyard. Oh well...  :lol

Sorcerer - I listened to The Crowning of the Fire King earlier this year and it was dope but I never revisited it. This band KILLED IT live and I'm definitely looking into them more despite not considering myself a fan of much doom. But this? This set was amazing. What an evil, cool sound they have. My buddy Carl got to sing on stage with them.  :lol
Jag Panzer - Never considered myself a fan of Jag Panzer... until now. Harry Conklin's voice live is everything. Absolute beast of a frontman and even at the age of 57 he was hitting jaw-dropping high notes effortlessly, and his stage presence was enthralling. Caught the setlist and had them sign it. WOW, what a show.
Caligula's Horse - Between the lights, the band's stage presence, and the singer's voice, this band blew my mind away. And they played "Graves" which made me choke up and shed a tear. LOVE this band, they've grown on me so much since I was sent them last year in my roulette.
Poets of the Fall - Nothing against Poets, I just had zero interest in watching them. They're not bad music, I just didn't care. Opted to drink whiskey in preparation for D&W later that night.
Threshold - I have put more effort into showing that I have given this band a fair shot than any other band I can think of. I just don't like them. I sat through the whole set because Lethean promised me a drink and I never got it because he was backstage with Threshold after their set, so that'll be saved for next year I guess  :rollin At least they played Slipstream and Small Dark Lines but everything in between just bored me. Good performers though, the drummer is really fun to watch.
Demons & Wizards - The crowd made Hansi feel like a god more than any other crowd I've seen. And Hansi taking it all in stride walking slowly around just observing the audience was so cool. He's just the best. And I've never heard him sing as intensely as he did that night. The last couple Blind Guardian shows I thought he was phoning in several parts, but he screamed his heart out and between the Iced Earth and Blind Guardian covers, seeing my all-time favorite D&W song (Crimson King) and the electric performance of everyone in the band, this was easily one of my favorites of the whole week. Brilliant choice to end the festival, because this had to be the most fired up crowd of the week.

Now I'm sad because I won't see my friends for another year.

Oh also fuck whoever set Demons & Wizards' shirts at $40 a pop. Ridiculous.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm with ya on some of those reviews, not with you on a few, and  :lol at the epic fail on at least a couple.   ;) :P

I'll post my own thoughts (and epic fails) later.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chad's favorite band was Toilet Hugger. They played all Saturday night.  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Tl;dr on Katt's post:

Missed almost all the best bands of the festival and happy about it.

:biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only skipped the boring ones.

Y'all are mad haterish not appreciating the gravity of Galneryus's set. One of the most electrified audiences I saw the whole week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've still got to do my own review but i just got to Aruba so that's on hold for now

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Day 1 is up which isn't one of my best videos, but here's my Day 2 video which I really think came out well to capture everything including the intro Galneryus signing part and the keeping of my ticket stub (plus friday evening atlanta traffic). 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
After watching next year's video, Day 3 is what I'm more excited for. I'll probably check out the JSS set but might leave and eat then.

I'm planning to attend. And will buy my ticket once they go on sale.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

Im not familiar with most of the bands next year, but i think im going to plan on going as well. Its been a few years since i last went and i think it would be hella fun to see some of the dtf folks  :metal
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
:2metal:

We need more people to flip the bird at the camera!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, as it stands right now, Day 1/2 is gonna have to be hella good to get me there.  Day 4 is only almost a total dud for me (Arion is the only one that I have any interest in).

Offline Lethean

Day 1 is up which isn't one of my best videos, but here's my Day 2 video which I really think came out well to capture everything including the intro Galneryus signing part and the keeping of my ticket stub (plus friday evening atlanta traffic).

Wow, I can't believe so spend so much time on Tomorrow's Eve... :P

Offline Lethean

Well, as it stands right now, Day 1/2 is gonna have to be hella good to get me there.  Day 4 is only almost a total dud for me (Arion is the only one that I have any interest in).

Maybe you'll learn some of the other stuff and like it.  You've got a year.  Plus, didn't you send me Rhapsody in my roulette?  Fabio will be there, Luca will be there - at the very least the vocals will be great.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Turilli/Lione Rhapsody is nothing like old school Rhapsody - I think Chad sent Dawn of Victory, which is unlike anything Luca's done after he left the original group. Sorry, I'm that guy. Had to.  :lol

But I do think there's a LOT of great stuff on both of days. Plenty of time to find something to like in them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Wow, I can't believe so spend so much time on Tomorrow's Eve... :P

:lol konichiwa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is next year's lineup?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Ihsahn  :omg:

Nah, but i hear what youre saying. Hopefully days 1 and 2 will have something neat to draw you. When are those supposed to be announced?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
What is next year's lineup?

They haven't announced days 1 and 2 yet. But day 1 has Power Quest playing Magic Never Dies, in full, for the first and only time ever, and I am ALL ABOUT THAT and gonna sponsor them  :heart

Offline Lethean

Turilli/Lione Rhapsody is nothing like old school Rhapsody - I think Chad sent Dawn of Victory, which is unlike anything Luca's done after he left the original group. Sorry, I'm that guy. Had to.  :lol

Well, it still has Fabio. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well, it still has Fabio. :P

I know! He's so dreamy.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, Witherfall, and Shattered Skies would be awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I haven't heard Isahn or the many forms of Rhapsody. I've heard a couple of the Rhapsodys but don't remember what song or which version.

Will check those 2 out more as they're closing the fest.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, Witherfall, and Shattered Skies would be awesome!

A friend of mine plays keyboards in Witherfall and I'm SO happy he's going to get to play the stage next year!