Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36507 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Marc, this is the title track from their last album, Ghostship from 2016. Can't believe it's been 3 years.

Features Bosk on bass!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fpNQ67SaE

Mirror Of Souls is an amazing album. The title track is one of the best songs I have ever heard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
It's definitely not better than what's in my top 50 :tup but that is the record I tell everyone to start with so yeah :metardica:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

All of the bands that dropped off because of visa issues were from Italy, unless I'm forgetting someone.  I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if there's something going on there. Either way, it really sucks. I don't know much about Theocracy, but While Heaven Wept was very good when they played ProgPower in the past.  I know it's a bummer but I would certainly recommend checking them out - at least their set even if you don't want to listen to head of time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:46:50 AM by Lethean »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's definitely not better than what's in my top 50 :tup but that is the record I tell everyone to start with so yeah :metardica:

wel of course you would say that, I don't recall Theocracy on the list  :lol I just think based on the two songs (I listened to Tim's as well) they are a bit more of what I enjoy in power metal vs. what it seems like you enjoy (and obviously there is overlap).  I'll probably move them up my list of bands to check out more in the next two weeks.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
While Heaven Wept is :metal you guys. Vast Oceans Lachrymose is the album that I spin quite often, and just bought Fear of Infinity and Suspended at Aphelion last week.

Honestly, Theocracy and WHW is much better line up than Ancient Bards and Secret Sphere, in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

wel of course you would say that, I don't recall Theocracy on the list  :lol I just think based on the two songs (I listened to Tim's as well) they are a bit more of what I enjoy in power metal vs. what it seems like you enjoy (and obviously there is overlap).  I'll probably move them up my list of bands to check out more in the next two weeks.

:lol Honestly it just depends. I don't really care about other Theocracy albums but that album in particular tickles my power metal fancy. On Eagles' Wings, Absolution Day, Laying The Demon To Rest, A Tower of Ashes... absolutely perfect power metal. And I generally don't listen to Christian-themed music.

Also I agree with Lethean. :hifive:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Honestly, Theocracy and WHW is much better line up than Ancient Bards and Secret Sphere, in my opinion.

Easily.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
All of the bands that dropped off because of visa issues were from Italy, unless I'm forgetting someone.  I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if there's something going on there.

Interesting observation.  hhhmmmm... What did Italy ever do to you guys?

I'm four tracks in to Suspended at Aphelion, and am digging it - other than the gratuitous screaming in the 2nd track.

@ Ruslan... I'll put Vast Oceans on next.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
And this is why I can't ever see myself buying ProgPower tickets far in advance. You never know if the lineup that's announced is going to resemble the lineup that plays. I know it's not easy, and I know they obviously would like more than anyone to not have this happen, but of any festival I've ever been to ProgPower has far and away the worst time with bands dropping and needing replaced.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
And this is why I can't ever see myself buying ProgPower tickets far in advance. You never know if the lineup that's announced is going to resemble the lineup that plays. I know it's not easy, and I know they obviously would like more than anyone to not have this happen, but of any festival I've ever been to ProgPower has far and away the worst time with bands dropping and needing replaced.

Agreed.  It doesn't help when some cancellations are for BS reasons (looking at JLB and Pretty Maids).  And given the plethora of people trying to unload tix cuz it turns out they can't make it, it's quite easy to pick up tickets within a month or so of the festival.  I'm honestly surprised it constantly sells out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

I'm really not surprised that it sells out (the Friday/Saturday).  For a bunch of reasons. For one, it's an incredible festival and a great experience.  A lot of people go year after year; some people go as many years as they can.  I don't know how many people that is, but I think it's a significant amount.  So there's that.  Then there's the number of bands on the roster.  If you truly one want to see one specific band and don't care about the rest, you're not going to go to ProgPower unless that's the only place in the country that the band is going to play.  So those "one band" people probably buy the ticket right away because they're desperate to see that band.  If the band pulls out, they can always try to sell them.  Then then you have the people in between - they don't go each year, but they're probably interested in several bands on the line up.  Changes are, all of those bands aren't going to drop off, and they'll still be happy seeing some great performances. 

This year was really bad for days 1-2, but sometimes it happens that way. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
  A lot of people go year after year; some people go as many years as they can.  I don't know how many people that is, but I think it's a significant amount.

I think that's it.  It seems the festival has a built in community that buys and attends every year, regardless.  I may have become one of those given that I initially didn't think Id be going to this year's festival, but bought tickets immediately and obviously I am going. 

I'm not entirely sure why that hasn't turned into the same for days 1 and 2, it seems it's only a small subset of that  group must be also going to days 1 and 2 regardless.  To me, if I have to fly and take one day off already, adding two more is worth it.  Being the same week as Labor Day (not sure if that's historically how it's been) also makes it easier to just take the whole week off. 

Having said all that, I understand the real issue is the costs to attend a niche festival.  I think it was like $450 for 4 day tickets.  I think that's a fine price tag for 4 days of music, but it's a large amount of money, then add in travel costs which can be a lot since Atlanta is a big city, but it's not a New York City or Los Angeles that's going to draw a ton of locals.  Essentially, it's not very affordable for a lot of people to attend. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Nothing will beat Ducky (RIP) though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
True, Ducky will be hard to beat (and I literally beat it, well more stomped)

I got my redone Progpower 2018 Day 1 video up now which features Ross the Boss, Gloryhammer, Nocturnal Rites, and Voyager.  Looking back, that's a super strong line up for day 1. Man, what a good time that night was.   :metal :metal

ProgPower XIX Day 1

I did all the processing for the remaining 3 day videos so I'm planning on putting them up as we get closer, spacing them out from my current videos to keep content coming out on my channel.  Already planning, mentally, how I am going to do my videos this year.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Gonna put that video on tonight, Marc - it'll be nice to relive the show a little bit before next week.

I'm sooo freaking psyched. Half for the bands but half just to see friends I'll only get to see in Atlanta. My favorite time of the year is almost here! Also I only get one week of vacation, but I didn't even realize I timed it so that I'm actually getting 10 days off in a row (counting weekends + Labor Day). Awesome  :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, we are getting close and I'm getting pretty excited.  I don't have quite as many PP friends, but I'm looking forward to making new ones and hanging with you all as well and seeing who else from the bands may be roaming the venue/area. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Your diet be damned, we gotta get lunch at The Vortex.  :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yea, I'm down.  I went my first time in 2016 (actually went on a tinder date with a local who took me there, well hardly a date since we went under the premise of friends).  I won't be getting that crazy burger though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yea, I'm down.  I went my first time in 2016 (actually went on a tinder date with a local who took me there, well hardly a date since we went under the premise of friends).  I won't be getting that crazy burger though.

Good - you won't let off a gas bomb that will gross out everyone like what happened last year  :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol 

Signing sessions for all days:

Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2019
Sanctuary  5:00pm
Insomnium  6:30pm
While Heaven Wept, **Tomorrow’s Eve  8:15pm

Thursday, Sept. 5 2019
Galneryus  5:00pm
Evergrey  6:30pm
Theocracy, **MaYaN  8:15pm

Friday, Sept. 6, 2019   
Orden Ogan   3:00pm
Seventh Wonder   4:30pm
Threshold   6:00pm
Barren Earth, **Subsignal  7:45pm

Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019   
Poets of the Fall  3:00pm
Jag Panzer, **Paladin  4:30pm
Psychotic Waltz, **Sorcerer  6:00pm
Demons & Wizards  7:45pm
Caligula's Horse   9:45pm

I think the bands I want to meet the most are on during bands I want to see  :| But realistically, I really want to meet Tommy from Seventh Wonder, Hansi from Demons and Wizards, Jim from Caligulas Horse and Marcela from Mayan the most.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Good - you won't let off a gas bomb that will gross out everyone like what happened last year  :rollin

Haha what day was that? I remember hearing about it. Don't think i was there at that time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It was during Angra's set, Ben  :lol

Looks like I'll be able to meet the bands I want to see. Theocracy's signing comes at the end of Galneryu's set and there's no way I am missing a second of that, but hopefully I can get in line right when Galneryus wraps up. Demons & Wizards, Galneryus, and Subsignal should also be easy to make. Caligula's Horse too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

I'm bummed I'm going to miss Seventh Wonder and Demons and Wizards. Even if I had got a ticket, I would've had to sell it. Have to help out with my cousins wedding which is the 3rd Day.

Sounds like this one is going to be more Heavier than last years. So have a blast guys. I know I would've tore it up. And looking forward to Next year's Line-up announcement. Don't forget to post them once you see the vids.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
True, Ducky will be hard to beat (and I literally beat it, well more stomped)

I got my redone Progpower 2018 Day 1 video up now which features Ross the Boss, Gloryhammer, Nocturnal Rites, and Voyager.  Looking back, that's a super strong line up for day 1. Man, what a good time that night was.   :metal :metal

ProgPower XIX Day 1

I did all the processing for the remaining 3 day videos so I'm planning on putting them up as we get closer, spacing them out from my current videos to keep content coming out on my channel.  Already planning, mentally, how I am going to do my videos this year.

It's fun to watch this knowing where I am in each set. I forgot how good Ross the Boss's singer was at those high notes. Great way to open the fest, I had a Jack n Coke in each hand off to the right on the floor and it was just fun heavy metal. I've watched the whole Voyager set again at least once, too. That medley :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol it's funny when I get comments on youtube saying at #:## you can see me in the crowd!  I love how people do that, including myself.  Still waiting for that Redemption live video for cramx3 spottings. 

Honestly was not into Ross the Boss, and thought those high notes were maybe... too high for me  :lol but they were a solid opening band for the fest

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh man Nocturnal Rites - I was headbanging so much during this set that I don't even remember much of it.  :lol So much footage, this is awesome.

My buddy TJ is gonna have an awesome time, I just know it. His first ProgPower has Demons & Wizards and Galneryus and I know he's psyched as hell about them especially.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nocturnal were my #1 band to see that time around, I wanted to record a lot for my buddy who couldn't make it (and likely never will to a PP).  I was greatly upset though that the singer's voice was shot.  I also thought other than the guitarist from Scar Symmetry, the rest of the band weren't very on point either.  My friend was really upset watching my NR footage and sadly, I hardly ever watch it either.  I do however watch the Voyager and Gloryhammer parts on occasion. Two of the surprise bands that year for me, which made night 1 so much more fun than I expected it to be. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
One week from right now Sanctuary will have just finished and we'll either be ready to rock n roll for Insomnium or going to bed watching Pretty Maid videos  :lol Either way, officially less than a week away from the start of this thing and with my vacation just about to begin, I couldn't be anymore excited  :yarr

But for now, here's last year's Day 2 video featuring Cellar Darling, Oceans of Slumber, Doro, and Angra  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oceans of Slumber was almost painful to sit through. Dreadfully boring, not fun at all to watch, they're like statues. Put a real damper on that day. Doro I was mostly there for Bill Hudson, I was up close to him. And Angra, my god. What a show! That's my friend Kristin who sang opera when Fabio gave her the mic. She just sang on the new Twilight Force record. :)

Ya'll should stay for Insomnium. I can introduce you to cool people  :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just watched the part with the girl singing the italian opera with Fabio  :metal

Oceans of Slumber, yea, meant for slumber.  Not for me really.  Doro were a lot of fun, I'm not totally into them, but she really brought the energy and performed well, it was fun.  And I got the most footage of Angra because well, they were awesome that night.  19:17 in this video for between Doro and Angra when Benjamin got bit by an ant  :rollin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol That swarm creeps me out...

I like how the Angra 'fan's choice set' was basically just the same old hits they always play  :lol But hearing all of OMNI rocked so much. Fabio  :heart :heart :heart

EDIT: Adrienne from Seven Spires is so sweet. Just a really nice person. She joined my friend and I for dinner down the street at an Italian place and was so cool!

Offline Ben_Jamin

I just watched the part with the girl singing the italian opera with Fabio  :metal

Oceans of Slumber, yea, meant for slumber.  Not for me really.  Doro were a lot of fun, I'm not totally into them, but she really brought the energy and performed well, it was fun.  And I got the most footage of Angra because well, they were awesome that night.  19:17 in this video for between Doro and Angra when Benjamin got bit by an ant  :rollin

Haha OMG. Can't believe I didnt see that at all.

Offline Lethean

I liked Oceans of Slumber well enough; didn't love them, but enjoyed it.  And they played the song I got in my roulette too, which was cool :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Haha OMG. Can't believe I didnt see that at all.

:rollin I was laughing so hard at that, and then I felt bad for ruining the ant hill