Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36601 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've been watching a lot of Galneryus concerts on youtube, it seems a bunch of their live DVDs are fully up there and they are just splendid to watch.  I think they are becoming my main band for day 2 over Evergrey (who I saw over the Winter which maybe takes some of the hype away from them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjhMFs9xjKg this ones great because it starts off with the entire Under the Force of Courage album and then I guess goes into a bunch of other songs, almost 2.5 hours so its a long concert.  I've had it going on in the background at work a few times this week.

I love Epica, but I've not been able to get into Mayan.  Mark's growls have gotten so much better over the years, but I've just yet to hear anything I really like from this band though.

I don't think I've listened to any Tomorrow's End actually.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Galneryus and Demons & Wizards are the two bands I'm most psyched for. Galneryus is going to blow the roof off the joint and imo should be headlining that night. I'm SO excited for their set.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Galneryus and Demons & Wizards are the two bands I'm most psyched for. Galneryus is going to blow the roof off the joint and imo should be headlining that night. I'm SO excited for their set.

Do you have any idea what they'll play?  They have a lot of music.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Do you have any idea what they'll play?  They have a lot of music.

I can make some safe guesses, like Destiny and Angel of Salvation. I'd be surprised if those aren't played. Beyond that, honestly, your guess is as good as mine. Something like 14 albums, and their first US set ever, who knows what they'll do. I've spent the past year trying to get familiar with their discography, and it's a problem I have with every band that sings in a foreign language: I love the music but it's so hard to tell songs apart from one another when you don't know the words. But I love all of their albums. Haven't heard anything I dislike, so that's good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, I browsed setlist.fm and looked at their live videos on youtube to try and get an idea of their setlists so I could sharpen my focus a bit since I've digested only two albums and doubt I'll get more than one in if at all before the festival.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Wouldn't they likely lean towards their English lyric songs/albums?  So far, I've only listened to the Ironhearted Flag albums, and it's 100% English.  Looks like their recent output is majority Japanese, but older output is majority English.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wouldn't they likely lean towards their English lyric songs/albums?  So far, I've only listened to the Ironhearted Flag albums, and it's 100% English.  Looks like their recent output is majority Japanese, but older output is majority English.

I didn't even know this.  The music I know is kind of a mix, even within songs, so while dominantly Japanese from what I heard, there's lots of english too.  I don't really understand this at all, but maybe thats a good point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I recall correctly, I was told the two singers they've had have different levels of English proficiency, which is the main reason for the shift.

Now I'm gonna load up their latest record on Spotify for the highway. :2metal:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.  Dark Lyrics and Metal-Archives as my point of reference

Masatoshi Ono   Vocals (2010-present)

The Flag of Punishment - 2003   
Advance to the Fall - 2005
Beyond the End of Despair... - 2006   
One for All - All for One - 2007
Reincarnation -2008
<insert new vocalist>
Resurrection - 2010
Phoenix Rising - 2011
Angel of Salvation - 2012
The IronHearted Flag, Vol. 1: Regeneration    2013   
The IronHearted Flag, Vol. 2: Reformation    2013   
Vetelgyus   - 2014   
Under the Force of Courage- 2015
Ultimate Sacrifice- 2017

According to Dark Lyrics, the last three appear to be mostly Japanese; IronHearted albums are mostly English (only a couple tracks on Vol 2 are Japanese), Angel and Phoenix Rising look to be about 50/50, and Resurrection is mostly English.

So, I'm hoping they lean towards the mostly English stuff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Continuing on with my listens of bands I don't know.

Barren Earth - ugh... more death/doom/growlie metal.  The recent album was pretty decent musically, but too heavy on the growls.  This might be my opportunity to scour the merch room.
Psychotic Waltz - meh. Decent musically; good vocally; the one album I listened to had a terrible hollow sound to it.  I'll give one or two more albums a run.
Caligula's Horse - sounds a shit-ton like Haken.  And for me, that's not a good thing.
Jag Panzer - Greatest hits didn't impress me.  2017 release was easy on the ears.
Poets of the Fall - Nice vibe.  Mellow and soothing.  I can dig this.
Orden Ogan - Giddy up.  Nice Power Metal, with some decent variety
Demons and Wizards - 2 albums, and this is the headline act?  Are they gonna do BG and IE material too?  I dig Hansi as a vocalist, but musically it was just 'ok'.

Just have Wind Rose to give a go.  I did spin 1/2 of one album a week ago, but got distracted with work during it.  Need to give them better attention.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

Demons and Wizards - 2 albums, and this is the headline act?  Are they gonna do BG and IE material too?  I dig Hansi as a vocalist, but musically it was just 'ok'.

Yes...their headline sets have included 2 Iced Earth and 2 Blind Guardian songs. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I really liked Barren Earth's last album after a few spins. Thanks Luoto for that discovery.

Regarding D&W: our 2 hours gig (non-festival, one opening band) had 2 BG and 2 IE songs. And honestly they're way better live, if you dig Hansi as a singer, you're going to have a blast with that one. I was meh on the albums too not counting a few songs, but they absolutely slayed live.

Wind Rose: I reviewed their first two albums and they're nothing special. Alright power metal, but I never wanted to go back and listen to them after I finished the reviews. There were some alright tunes though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's odd. I don't hear any Haken at all in CH.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
That's odd. I don't hear any Haken at all in CH.

I kinda get why they're associated with Haken, like Leprous gets associated with Haken. The music is very different but they all are those modern progressive metal bands that somewhat try to break a new ground a little bit I guess? At least that's the association I have in my head.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
By 'like Haken', what I mean is super talented prog-metal outfit that gets all wanky and technical just because they can, the writing is bland an uninspiring, and vocally can't say much more than "it doesn't suck so bad".  I mean, the vocals are better than Voyager, but that's the nicest thing I can say.  :neverusethis:

That's just me though.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't say it's bland and uninspiring, it's more like it takes more than a few listens to get into it for me. Took me a few weeks to get into Bloom. I haven't even tried In Contact or The River, The Tide and the Fish (I don't remember the album name) yet.

To each their own of course (although for the life of me I don't understand how anyone can call Haken's songwriting bland and uninspiring but that's for another thread I suppose)

Honestly the lineup sounds great, even with the bands I'm not a fan of. I wish we had something like that here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
By 'like Haken', what I mean is super talented prog-metal outfit that gets all wanky and technical just because they can, the writing is bland an uninspiring, and vocally can't say much more than "it doesn't suck so bad".  I mean, the vocals are better than Voyager, but that's the nicest thing I can say.  :neverusethis:

That's just me though.

Damn that hurts to read.  :lol

That's interesting. I've never associated 'wanky and technical' with CH, just djenty riffs and a lot of chunk. Have you heard 'Graves' by them? My god that's a tune.

But I totally agree if we direct those comments towards Haken.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I get the Caligula's Horse to Haken comparison, actually there is one song I had playing and I thought to myself "I never heard this Haken song before"  :lol but I really really like In Contact and Bloom and I don't relaly think the two bands sound alike that much but there's enough similarity with being a newer prog band to make the comparison.  Also, I don't think they are very wanky at all.  Very melodic and emotional music.  They are one of my top bands to see I think. 

Chad, I'm glad you like Orden Ogan, I think their last album is really good.  Mike, you like them?  I don't think you've talked about them and they are power metal so I'm guessing you don't and I can probably guess why.  They are kind of standard power metal.  I don't think they are doing anything new or different, but the songs are damn catchy and the riffs are great.   My only real issue with them, the live songs I've watched on youtube, the singer doesn't have that same power and voice live.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
You nailed it, Marc. I don't think they're bad, but all I've heard from them has just been 'good' - nothing that has blown me away or begged me to come back for more. I'm looking forward to their set more than a lot of the other bands though, because I'm sure it'll be fun and full of strong hooks. The production on the studio music is really 'off' to me and I'm interested to hear their sound live. Your comments about the singer have me worried though because even on record it sounds like the backing vox are bolstering his leads.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think they will be really fun live regardless of the vocals, it's just that it's kind of holding me back from liking them more than I already do.  We will see for ourselves soon enough.

Psychotic Waltz - meh. Decent musically; good vocally; the one album I listened to had a terrible hollow sound to it.  I'll give one or two more albums a run.

I listened to one album awhile ago and felt the same.  Musically I thought it was alright but the album sounded like such shit that I didn't care to go back.  I put one on just now (maybe the same one, I dont even remember) and yeah, I think this band might be really cool live but its kind of hard to listen to this album just from the sound of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, you guys convinced me to give Caligula's Horse another shot.  But the intent of sampling them all was so that I could prune some of them off the playlist for the next 5 weeks.  20 bands in all, and 13 of them I was unfamiliar with.

On the trash heap for sure:
Sanctuary
Insomnium

Dangerously close to getting cut:
Jag Panzer
Psychotic Waltz
Barren Earth
Caligula's Horse

Definitely getting repeat listens:
MaYaN
Demons and Wizards
Poets of the Fall

Loving the fuck out of 'em:
Sorcerer (love Anders Hedberg's voice)
Orden Ogan
Galynerus

TBD
Wind Rose

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Out of these, considering I saw Demons and Wizards a few months ago, Insomnium, Barren Earth and Caligula's Horse are my biggest draws from this one. :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chad, for CH, I'm not sure what you heard, but here is the full Bloom album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoIOobEZ_P4  The first two songs you should check out and then literally check out if its not for you.  I absolutely love how this album starts (not a bad track on this album either but it starts so strong). 

I actually think I've only heard a couple Sorcerer songs and thought they were solid, I should listen to them more.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't stand doom metal but I love what I've heard of Sorcerer (their latest album). That's one I definitely want to pick up, and I look forward to their set.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know Sorcerer at all. Any particular tracks I should listen to?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Can't recommend individual tracks as I'm not familiar enough, but I'd say just check out The Crowning of the Fire King (their latest record). I put it on and didn't pay attention to the tracks by name but boy did I have fun with it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just put that album on from youtube  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, for CH, I'm not sure what you heard,

I played In Contact

The Crowning of the Fire King was in Brent's Top 40 podcast - I think it was in his Top 5 of the year actually.  I also spun In the Shadow of the Inverted Cross, and enjoyed that plenty.  You'd recognize Anders Engberg (got it wrong last post) as the vocalist from Speaking to Stones (and Section A, but I don't think many know them).  I really have no idea why they're labeled as "Doom Metal".

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, I'll check out The Crowning. Speaking to Stones's Elements is alright, yeah.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I really have no idea why they're labeled as "Doom Metal".

I believe you mean "epic doom metal" as I just read their brief wikipedia page  :lol  The singer sounds super familiar but I never heard of the other bands he was in.  I thought he might have been the singer of Dream Evil, sounds very similar.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely NOT Dream Evil.  According to Metal Archives:

Anders Engberg   Vocals (1989-1992, 2010-present)
See also: ex-Dreams Fall, ex-Twilight, ex-220 Volt, ex-Book of Reflections, ex-Lion's Share, ex-Section A, ex-Therion (live), ex-Tony Martin (live)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Are they not doom metal? That could explain why I like them. All I know about doom metal is Candlemass and they're nothing more than a joke imo.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know what Doom Metal is, but Sorcerer is not what I would classify as Doom.  It's slower pace and plodding at times, and guitar-heavy.  Does that = "doom"?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The band certainly has doom metal elements but yeah...........a more melodic and upbeat version which manages to get yours truly on board.  I would equate them to some of the slower material from Tony Martin era Sabbath.

And yeah...............#1 in my Top 40.   Just a class album all the way and a refreshing level of originality that can be hard to find in the older styles of metal these days.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sigh... Wind Rose canceled. Replacement to be announced in a few hours... fingers crossed for Paladin, or maybe Theocracy, but I hope Paladin.