Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36595 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Likelihood of me being there is increasing.  Got the  :tup with Mrs.jingle; got 1 of my ITEC Live tickets sold.  Now I just need to get a hold of a Day 3/4 ticket, and figure out rooming scenario.  Any of you buggers want/need to split a hotel room?  Air BnB?  What's everyone's accommodation plan?

DOOD! I'm rooming with a buddy of mine but we're all about saving as much money as possible so if you want to room with me and him (cram, you're welcome too!) I'd be down. Just waiting for him to finalize things before I book; otherwise we're just gonna grab a 2 bed room at America's Best Value Inn (currently that is looking like about $294 total for each of us). Either way, if you come to ProgPower that'll make things so much more fun!!

EDIT: I'm picturing me, jingle, cram, and my buddy all rooming together and just getting into musical disagreements  :lol
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:17:07 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Okily dokily... I got both my ITEC Live tix sold, so as soon as I can nail down a day 3/4 ticket I can buy a day 1/2 ticket.

Who's on the roll-call again?

Katt
Lethean
Cram

Anyone else?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
So excited. There are a lot of people who I've known online for many years who I met for the first time at ProgPower last year and I cannot wait to see them again. It'll be nice to not be the ProgPower virgin - my buddy who's coming with me is, though :) I'm so stoked to see Galneryus and Demons & Wizards. Those are the two big draws for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline senecadawg2

Wish i could be there--Ive loved it in the past.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just announced that Pretty Maids has been forced to cancel due to a last minute band member change (the replacement's visa won't be obtainable in time for the show). Curious to know who will take their spot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just announced that Pretty Maids has been forced to cancel due to a last minute band member change (the replacement's visa won't be obtainable in time for the show). Curious to know who will take their spot.

Same, got to set realistic expectations but my first thought was, how about Kamelot?  Tommy will be there for 7th wonder and their full tour kicks in right after that.  Only issue is, they have an atlanta tour date a month later.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Same, got to set realistic expectations but my first thought was, how about Kamelot?  Tommy will be there for 7th wonder and their full tour kicks in right after that.  Only issue is, they have an atlanta tour date a month later.

I'm setting expectations much lower than Kamelot. The band Paladin has been making waves recently and would be awesome, and they live in Atlanta. Visigoth is from out west but I was thinking they'd be a good cheap get.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh yea, Kamelot is a high expectation, but its a headliner so the bands you just named would be disappointments from that perspective.  SOA was able to fill in last year so they managed to get a big enough band to fill a headliner spot.  I wonder if they have that same magic this year.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's definitely a good guess - I'm just curious if that counts for an 'international' band since it has a few international members but is technically based out of Florida. If they headlined, holy crap, that would be so clutch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well if a band was named in that thread on facebook, its not happening and Kamelot was named.  I thought that was "too high" of a choice really but thought maybe it could work given the timing.  And it seems like changing like for like may not be an option so maybe they will get a prog band in that spot

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well if a band was named in that thread on facebook, its not happening and Kamelot was named.  I thought that was "too high" of a choice really but thought maybe it could work given the timing.  And it seems like changing like for like may not be an option so maybe they will get a prog band in that spot

I would say Evership! But they would probably have to rearrange the order of bands for them, and they're looking for a guitarist... drat :(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn. Pretty Maids was won of the big draws for me.  :sad:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Anyone attending the Wednesday show of Progpower just got an upgrade, in my opinion:

We’re excited to share with you the replacement for Pretty Maids for this year’s ProgPower’s Day 1.

Insomnium has moved up to the headliner slot on Wednesday. Given their track record in both sales and touring, it’s a no-brainer of a decision. The band will now get a 90min set and present material from their career. Their new album drops in October, and perhaps a sold-out show can convince them to do one or two live debuts. 😉

We also welcome the return of American metal staple Sanctuary to perform their classic album “Refuge Denied” in its entirety. We expect nothing but a crushing set by them. The band worked hard to make this happen quickly, and thus have our gratitude.

Thanks to all of you for the support and understanding of our cancellation circumstances. As Glenn said, we’ve been put behind the eight ball, but we’re confident this change in plans delivers it at the same level.

Now let’s sell the fuck out of this show.

-Milton & Nathan

Joseph Michael absolutely killed it with Sanctuary when I saw them, and to see them do Refuge in full would be killer!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never listened to Sanctuary but since they're playing an entire album that makes it way easier to get into them. I'll check it out and expect a killer show.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never listened to Sanctuary but since they're playing an entire album that makes it way easier to get into them. I'll check it out and expect a killer show.  :metal

I'm listening to it now.  I've heard of them and thought they were Thrash (which they seem to be) so that's kind of cool as it's a bit different than the prog/power.  Reminds me of them swapping Dream Evil with Doro last year.  Also Insomnium getting a headline set is fine with me, Winters Gate is fucking awesome so I hope they play the whole thing now.

Offline Grappler

I'm listening to it now.  I've heard of them and thought they were Thrash (which they seem to be) so that's kind of cool as it's a bit different than the prog/power.

Sanctuary headlined the main show before, right around when they reunited and after Nevermore went kaput. 

This is the band that was the precursor to Nevermore, with Warrel Dane singing.  Refuge Denied is classic/traditional metal in the vein of older Queensryche, complete with insane high notes.  Their second album (Into the Mirror Black) is a bit heavier and thrashier and very much sounds like early Nevermore.   Assuming a 60 minute set, you get Refuge and then 20 mintues of other songs - one or two from Mirror Black and one or two from The Year the Sun Died - their extra-heavy reunion album from 2015.

Joseph Michael (of Witherfall) joined Sanctuary after Warrel died.  He absolutely nails the songs, both vocally and in his performance by channeling the vibe and spirit of Warrel Dane. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for the info, just finished my first listen of Refuge Denied.  I don't love it.  Specifically those insane high vocals.  Musically it's fantastic metal though.  I'm sure they will be fun live.  I'll listen to the album more for sure, but initially I like it, don't love it.  Sadly I think I like Pretty Maids more so I'm not sure this is an upgrade, but this isn't a bad swap either.  Makes me feel like Doro, I was happy to see her set and she rocked live but I don't love her music.  It was a nice replacement and I commend the festival for being able to make these changes so quick and to deliver something cool.  It'll be an even better swap if Insomnium now plays At Winters Gate and/or live debut new music though.

Offline Grappler

Awesome.  If the vocals turn you off, give Into the Mirror Black or The Year the Sun Died a try.  Those feature much less of Warrel's high notes, especially the latter. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
So after reading cram's thoughts I put on Refuge Denied as I cut grass (not a pun this time). I had an especially large amount of grass to cut so I got to spin the album almost 3 times in a row. It's extremely 80s. If I was born in the early 70s my teenage self would probably be enamored with this. Gives me a King Diamond vibe at times because of the singing, but then it has that other side of the 80s metal sound, with the slow beats and those reverb, doomy guitar parts. I liked it a bit more by the third time round. Not something I'm crazy about but this will be fun to watch live. If they're selling it, I'll buy it. :2metal: (I don't listen to Nevermore either but I like a few songs)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Like Marc, I'm a big PM fan, so losing them is a big downgrade. Hey we're top 5 (probably top 3) most anticipated act for my tastes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Like Marc, I'm a big PM fan, so losing them is a big downgrade. Hey we're top 5 (probably top 3) most anticipated act for my tastes.

I wouldn't call myself a big PM fan.  I only have their newest release but I did enjoy it and wanted to dig in more, but I probably won't (at least not in the near future).

There's still a handful of bands between all 4 days that I haven't even checked out yet like Barren Earth.  I don't think I've listened to a single song by them.  Secret Sphere I watched a music video or two, same with a few other bands.  I know nothing of Ancient Bards too.  So I still have a bit of homework to do.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Secret Sphere's album A Time Never Come is good. I prefer the original version but the rerecording with Michele Luppi is worth hearing. I bet they'll play a couple from that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Secret Sphere's album A Time Never Come is good. I prefer the original version but the rerecording with Michele Luppi is worth hearing. I bet they'll play a couple from that.

Oh he's in Secret Sphere?  The same guy who plays keys for Whitesnake now?  That's pretty cool

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
For Secret Sphere, I'd recommend Portrait of a Dying Heart.  Also, their recent live DVD - One Night in Tokyo - is a pretty good watch/listen.  I'm actually not overly fond of their early stuff, but the last few releases have brought a smile to my ears.

Now that I'm 100% confirmed, I need to start lining up my listening habits accordingly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I found A Time Never Come on youtube and listening now.  Maybe I should check out the live DVD though, I am interested in what I am likely to see and if they have a recent DVD out, then I'd imagine it might be similar.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
SS is a band I tried getting into when I was a kid, and I was bored by them back then. But Lethean is the one who actually convinced me to check them out again (sent me ATNC in my album roulette) and that piqued my interest. I'm still sorely behind on catching up with them, but I really like that album. I'll check out Portrait of a Dying Heart.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Funny, my one IRL friend who likes a lot of the same music as me messaged me out of the blue saying he was listening to a band he discovered called Secret Sphere's Live album from Tokyo and that it was really good  :lol funny timing, I had a few songs from it playing on youtube earlier and it sounded pretty good. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just built my playlists for the bands I don't know.  Shit I got a lot of listening to do!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Listened to Sanctuary and Insomnium over the weekend.  Nope.  Not for me.

Now I'm REALLY pissed that Pretty Maids bailed.  For my tastes, Sactuary + more Insomnium is a big downgrade.  I just might go back to the condo after Secret Sphere and watch Pretty Maids / It Comes Alive: Maid in Switzerland.  :biggrin:

Do we know the order on Day 1 - is it Ancient Bards / Sanctuary / Secret Sphere / Insomnium?  Or is Sanctuary after Secret Sphere?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If you go back it better be because you're getting cheaper drinks  :metal :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
If you go back it better be because you're getting cheaper drinks  :metal :lol

Oh yea, definitely looking forward to taking advantage of this.  I don't really plan on missing any bands honestly.  Maybe some of their sets, but I know I want to at least check everyone out.  Sanctuary probably aren't my thing, but they could be cool live I think.  I really like Insomnium's At Winter's Gate.  I'd say they aren't really my music, but that album is really strong so I should probably listen to more of them. 

It seems day 1 will be:

Ancient Bards
Secret Sphere
Sanctuary
Insomnium

and honestly, this is easily the least interesting days for me.  I've been listening to some Secret Sphere lately and they are cool so at least there's some music I am interested in seeing, but the festival only gets better from there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems Day 1 we have different interests.  I sampled Ancient Bards after Sara (lead singer) guested on The Theory of Everything, and really liked them.  Secret Sphere... really like their new output - older stuff I can take/leave.

If this is indeed the order, I doubt I'll be sticking around for very much of Insomnium.  Sanctuary might be worth hanging out for, but after that, my level of excitement plummets.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey, at least it's just day 1. I like Winter's Gate but I'm indifferent towards Insomnium otherwise; Jani Liimatainen is the draw for me because it's Jani freaking L  :metal

Secret Sphere will be cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ancient Bards I haven't listened to much besides one or two of their singles on youtube and they sounded like they had some potential, I still need to check them out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Continuing my run through....

MaYaN... I listened to Quarterpast, which is probably a bad idea.  Because I LOVED the guest (and clean) vocalists.  Jansen's growls?  I tolerated them.  Musically, it's really nice.  I gotta try a couple more of their albums, because it's unlikely they'll play much (if any) from that album given it's 100% guest vocalists on the non-growlies.

Tomorrow's End ... heard a bit of them before.  Middle-of-the-road prog-metal.  Not wow'd by them, but not put off either.  Somewhere between solid and meh.  I listened to the first 2 parts of Mirror of Creation.  I remember sampling part 3 last year when it came out, and mostly liking it.

Galneryus - two songs in with Ironhearted Flag Vol 1, and so far this is the closest to my alley.  Diggin this so far.