Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36614 times)

Offline CrimsonE

Other highlights of Alestorm:

At one point, several fans got down on the floor and pantomimed rowing a kayak. 

There was also a singer dressed as a shark during one of their songs (Hangover, I believe it was). 

Finally, their closing song was Fucked by an Anchor. 

Just a truly wonderfully demented band. 

In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

There was also a singer dressed as a shark during one of their songs (Hangover, I believe it was). 

Yes the rowing was great....also the shark. I'm still wondering who that was.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yea, there was a lot of talk of doing the row in the pit beforehand that I saw on facebook.  I saw that for the first time at Sabaton in Boston and was truly amazed.  It was a bit smaller of a row at PP, but still very much awesome and definitely an oversight with the Duck as well as the rest of your points.

Offline Ben_Jamin

It still amazes me that after 4 days since the show, and everyone is still talking about DUCKY. I really picked a good one for my first ProgPower.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
It still amazes me that after 4 days since the show, and everyone is still talking about DUCKY. I really picked a good one for my first ProgPower.

Yeah, you and I both! What a good time!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If you ever come out to my neck of the woods, remind me to buy you each a duck.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hey, I didn't get a duck..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

You guys playing with fire with the keyboard and the word “duck”.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
As long as bosk puts his shopping cart away I'll gladly take a duck from him.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity

Tarja:  Amazing live singer, but I got distracted by the keyboarist's ongoing issues with the sound, as well as Tarja's outfit where it looked like she was always about to fall out of the top.

And that was somehow a problem?   ???

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Certainly what my eyes were on  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

Coincidentally, I receieved some ducks for my Secret Santa here...Might've been my first time doing it too. Haha.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Hey, I didn't get a duck..

You didn't ask.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Be honest.  Did you have to get your son to post that GIF for you?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

No, he was in school, but he left me very detailed instructions.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry if this was shared already by someone else but today I uploaded Anneke paying tribute to Chris Cornell with her beautiful rendition of Like A Stone. Sorry I missed most of the first verse but I got the rest. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRbZ5Dm-HeU

Offline Ben_Jamin

Sorry if this was shared already by someone else but today I uploaded Anneke paying tribute to Chris Cornell with her beautiful rendition of Like A Stone. Sorry I missed most of the first verse but I got the rest. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRbZ5Dm-HeU

Funny, cause on my phone I only got the first verse.

That was a surprising song choice. And a really great rendition of it.

Glad you got the vid of it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Ben! That was my favorite part of the Vuur set because it was just her and a guitar. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Thanks Ben! That was my favorite part of the Vuur set because it was just her and a guitar. :biggrin:

On the ProgNation at Sea cruise, she did a whole set of covers acoustically with Danny Cavanagh.  It was glorious.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
HUGE fan of Anneke.   Musically, and otherwise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
She is extremely pretty.

Chad, that sounds amazing. Wow, I'd pay good money to see that.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
She is extremely pretty.

Chad, that sounds amazing. Wow, I'd pay good money to see that.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anneke-van-giersbergen/2014/norwegian-pearl-miami-fl-73c56679.html

Jolene was the highlight, imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
+100 for the Anneke love, she is performing solo next year as the opener for Delain and Amorphis in NYC.  I've gotten to see The Gentle Storm, DTP with Anneke, and VUUR.  Next year time to see her solo.   :yarr

Offline Ben_Jamin

I really enjoy her solo album Drive.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Definitely need to dig into her own catalog of music after that set. I can't get this damn Cornell tribute out of my head. The way she sings the melody is haunting me  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

Definitely need to dig into her own catalog of music after that set. I can't get this damn Cornell tribute out of my head. The way she sings the melody is haunting me  :lol

I think you might enjoy My Mother Said. Thats a good song that showcases her vocals.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I think you might enjoy My Mother Said. Thats a good song that showcases her vocals.

Wow, thanks for the suggestion dude. Played it last night and immediately fell in love, now I'm listening to the whole album and it's lovely. Great stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Wonderful video of Anneke there....

In just two weeks I will be seeing Anneke both solo and with VUUR  on the Progressive Circus 2018 show in Malmö.
Also iamthemorning, Promise and the Monster and Merit Hemmingsson.

Can't wait.....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
At least with that, you'll get lots of VUUR music.  I thought the only thing about VUUR's set at PP that wasn't cool was that it was only half VUUR music, and the rest cover songs or Anneke solo.  I saw their written setlist had two more VUUR songs though, which I would have really liked to have seen. Not complaining about the other songs, they were great, but felt like it was an Anneke set not a VUUR setlist.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
So is anyone going to PP20? 

I told myself initially that I probably won't, but today I've been listening to Demons & Wizards for the first time and really loving it, as well as already loving Seventh Wonder.  I'm a big Blind Guardian fan so I figured I would like D&W but just never actually listened, and yea, this is good power metal ala Blind Guardian.  I figure the rest of the line up I would probably really like anyway if I just dig into it. Tickets go on sale in a few weeks so I am really putting some thoughts into actually making this happen again next year.

I've been spending time in the evenings this week going through the 60GB of video I got and it's just bringing up good memories, not just of the music, but of the atmosphere too.  I am still in disbelief that the festival is long past already and all those memories are just that, memories.  I am hoping by next week to have my full PP19 video completed featuring every band except Persefone (only band I did not see) and then time to look forward and figuring out if I am going to go to this again next year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I mean, I was already a likely no, but that has become a highly likely no given some recent events.

I've now committed to Cruise to the Edge (full week commitment), and RoSfest (four day weekend commitment), and all signs point to Arjen announcing Electric Castle live shows for next year, so I expect to spend at least a week in the Netherlands. With all that said and done there is not really time left for anything other than maybe ProgStock, simply because it's local and convenient.

As much as I hate to say it I can pretty much rule out both ProgPower and Morsefest for 2019.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was 110% set on going as soon as I finished day 1 of PP2018. :) The lineup for next year is sooooo good.