Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36535 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I watched some videos of Redemption's set on youtube and while I noticed some of the same (and have read similar comments on Facebook about the show), I'd give Tom a giant break on that.  it was his first shows with the band and probably his first time as a frontman without having a guitar that he can hide behind when he's not singing.  I'm sure it takes some time to become comfortable with that, and some comments echo it, where they've said that he looked more relaxed later on in the set. 

He's always been amazing in Evergrey.   :metal
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:31:04 AM by Grappler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didnt really have any issue with Tom.  He was cool when I chatted with him, as well as Vikram too.

Offline Lethean

I watched some videos of Redemption's set on youtube and while I noticed some of the same (and have read similar comments on Facebook about the show), I'd give Tom a giant break on that.  it was his first shows with the band and probably his first time as a frontman without having a guitar that he can hide behind when he's not singing.  I'm sure it takes some time to become comfortable with that, and some comments echo it, where they've said that he looked more relaxed later on in the set. 

He's always been amazing in Evergrey.   :metal

I give Tom a break on that as well.  I wish he'd learned the lyrics a little better, but it makes sense that he's going to need to find out what works for him as a front man without a guitar.  Plus, when he wasn't singing you could just watch the rest of the band.  It was very nice to see them on stage again and to see Simone with them too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I didn't mind, it is his first show with the band. Its also likely they didn't have much rehearsal time, hence the ipad for the lyrics. I thought he did great, he hit his groove on Someone Else's Problem and kicked but after. Him singing Walls sounded great as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Obviously, not having been there, I can't really speak to Tom's performance on that specific set.  But all the things Grap mentions are spot-on.  I would guess that being on stage for an entire set without a guitar, for someone that is used to having one and playing all the time, would feel really awkward at first.  And that is especially true when you take into account that Redemption has long instrumental passages where there is nothing really for a singer to do.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was a big part of it.  Yeah, it can suck for a fan when it feels like all or part of a band might unintentionally (or intentionally) give the impression that they aren't into it.  But I think a guy with Tom's background who hasn't even really performed with the band before should be given a huge amount of slack. 

In any case, what I can say is that I love Tom's vocals on the album itself, and I am hoping for an opportunity to catch the band at some point.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:10:00 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

I've seen Evergrey several times now and trust me, Tom gives it all whenever he is on stage. The last time I saw them, Evergrey played in San Antonio and unfortunately it coincided with a local NBA playoff game. Less than 100 people showed up (about 20 for the meet and greet). The band gave it all. Played with the same intensity when I saw them a couple of years before in the same venue (about 400 at that time, probably more).

I think as previously stated, it was more of an adjustment period since he is ALWAYS playing guitar and singing. And Evergrey's songs usually don't have long instrumental passages like Redemption. I really want to go to the Whiskey gig. Not sure if I'm going to be able to pull it off though.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Would definitely like to check it out one year just because of the atmosphere and whatnot, but if I'm gonna pay for airfare in addition to the concerts there's gotta be at least a couple bands who are draws for me. Only reason I'm doing ProgStock this year is because it's practically in my backyard.

And to grope me.  Admit it.  You want to squeeze the Charmin.

Guilty as charged :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Just saw the video for Peace Sells.  Awesome!  And I love the projection up on the screen.  :metalol:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Lots of Doro videos up on YouTube as well!  :hearts:

Good to see she is still playing the OLD stuff:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms55a7WgAUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B9ya_TabzM

Can anyone who was there verify that this setlist is correct?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/doro/2018/center-stage-atlanta-ga-63e85a7b.html

If so, that's a pretty good set for her, although VERY heavy on the nostalgia stuff and no emphasis on more recent material at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Set list is correct

and as for her song choice, she performed with a new guitarist who had to learn the songs, so I'm guessing they made some song choices based around that?  Just guessing.  She was fantastic live, a true metal front woman. I didn't do her meet and greet, but I walked by and saw her smiling with the fans and just looking like a really happy and cool person to be around.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Yeah, I agree with cram, she was brimming with joy and was an utter delight to watch on stage, super passionate and energetic and happy to be playing there. I know nothing about Doro's music but her set was fun as hell.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I know nothing about Doro's music but her set was fun as hell.

My experience began WAY back in 1987.  A friend of mine at work loaned me Warlock's Triumph and Agony album.  My first listen:
-Me:  :omg:  That dude can WAIL!
-Me flipping through the liner notes:  :omg:  That dude isn't a dude!
:lol  I then convinced Bill to trade it to me for my GNR Appetite for Destruction tape.

Bought her solo albums through the '90s.  In the early '00s, I kind of lost interest because, while her rockers tended to be awesome, the albums grew more and more ballad-heavy.  But I never lost my love of the early stuff.  I've never seen her live, but judging from those videos, she still really brings it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Warlock was awesome, and tops my list of underappreciated bands. I'm guilty myself.

I did see them open for Megadeth in 1988, with Sanctuary 3rd on the bill.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
:lol  Just realized this is one of Cram's videos:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnD3zYi4_2k

I did see them open for Megadeth in 1988, with Sanctuary 3rd on the bill.

Wow, that would have been a cool bill.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey, I found myself at 5:00 in that vid up front  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
:lol  Just realized this is one of Cram's videos:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnD3zYi4_2k

Cram's video's come up on my feed. I'm subscribed!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Cram's video's come up on my feed. I'm subscribed!

You know how to do that? I'm impressed!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I had my son do it. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline CrimsonE

This was my sixth PPUSA fest (actually 5 1/2 since I only attended the Saturday show in 2013, back when you could get single-day tickets), and they keep getting better and better. 

In brief, here are the highlights, IMO:

Gloryhammer (Wednesday):  Incredibly fun cheesey Euro power metal that didn't take itself too seriously
Doro (Thursday):  Good old-school metal, although from where I was sitting the guitars seemed buried in the mix
Angra (Thursday):  Very fine set with their new album Omni played in its entirety.  The highlight was when Doro joined them for a song
Redemption (Friday):  Amazing on all levels.  Yes, Tom was a bit tentative early on, but they made me a fan when I knew almost nothing about them going in.
Sons of Apollo (Friday):  As you would expect with an MP project, this was outstanding, as he delivered a killer set for the second PPUSA in a row.  The only disappointing thing was that they didn't really do anything special for the festival, but instead played their standard tour setlist, which they had already done when they played Atlanta in February
Vuur:  Annika is an amazing vocalist and one of the festival's highlights
Alestorm:  Pure goofy fun with a shark and a duck and plenty of cosplayers in the audience.  KILL THE DUCK!!!  IMO the best act of the weekend
Tarja:  Amazing live singer, but I got distracted by the keyboarist's ongoing issues with the sound, as well as Tarja's outfit where it looked like she was always about to fall out of the top.

In addition to the great music the festival is known for the community spirit, with autograph sessions for nearly all the bands.  I didn't go to every single session particularly SOA and Tarja whom had very long lines.  But the bands were very gracious and willing to talk for the brief time they had before we moved on.

As for next year, it looks to be another stellar lineup, especially Saturday with Jag Panzer, Threshold and Demons & Wizards.  ANd there are some interesting bands I'm not that familiar with now, including Seventh Wonder (whom I saw at the 2014 iteration) and Caligula's Horse. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
"So why don't you all pretend you're zombies and kill the duck? KILL IT! Eat its brains! ... Jesus Christ that's terrifying!" as the duck immediately sinks into the horde of metal fans  :lol

Highlight of the Redemption set to me was Chris f'ing Poland coming out and then playing Peace Sells. That was SO fun.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea last two posts spot on for the weekend.  The video of the duck kill is so fucking awesome.  And I was right in front of Chris Poland, I was thinking it would have been cooler to be more center stage, but when he came out right in front of me all was right in the world  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Also, someone farted so fucking hard they got half a dozen people to back away from the barricade during Angra. Truly heinous, but I can't stop laughing thinking about it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol someone definitely farted near me in the seats, I forget during who's set, but it was awful and everyone seemed to just kind of sit in it, including myself

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't get the duck jokes.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
LOL cram. At least when you're standing you can move around!

I don't get the duck jokes.

Alestorm had a giant rubber duck on stage. Then it got tossed into the audience. Someone snapped an amazing shot (see the pic I posted) of the duck with that great lighting. And the memes just came from that. Release the quacken!!  :lol It's also kinda funny considering the tradition of bringing rubber ducks to put in the fountain at the Artmore Hotel. They also put some ducks on stage for one of the bands, I can't remember which, some guy was moving around me setting them up haha.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So that's an actual photo, not a photoshop?

Do you know which song it was where the duck was...unleashed?  I want to search a video of it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
So that's an actual photo, not a photoshop?

Oh yeah, completely real. That's what makes it so magical  :lol

The song was Drink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZpgjIsltQ

EDIT: cram is right; actually that video has the death too. Go to 4:30  :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
oh shit thats the best video ive seen so far, and it was during the song Drink and killed before wenches and mead  :yarr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
:rollin  That is amazing.

EDIT:  I'm not sure which is more amusing--the fact that the duck is real, or the fact that that band is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:57:16 PM by bosk1 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can clearly be spotted with my camera on the killing (my necklase even reflects in the camera from the light  :lol) which didn't even come out cause that set was so fucking wild and i fucked it up so badly  :lol so epic, I'm glad someone captured this in HQ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol I'm kinda glad I wasn't on video for any of this, I wasn't even in the chamber at the time of killing.

bosk, they've been around for ages! Last time I saw them was in 2011 but this was by far the most entertaining of their live shows I've ever seen. Not fond of listening to them much on my own time but I still have a fond appreciation for their early works and that was pretty fun.

Chris came up to us after the night was over and said, "So, yeah, there was a bus here a few minutes ago?" Missed it and had to start walking  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
 DRINK....DRINK....DRINK...DRINK... :yarr

I was in the middle when that happened. At least I touched the duck...being short and all, had to jump high just to hit it.

:rollin  That is amazing.

EDIT:  I'm not sure which is more amusing--the fact that the duck is real, or the fact that that band is.

I've heard of the band name (due to this forum) but never heard any of their music until this show. Cram and Lox both told me about them, once I walked through those doors and saw DUCKY! I said to myself "This is gonna be fun."

I've never had so much fun for a band, ever.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD