Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36360 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: ProgPower USA XIX, Sept 5-8 2018 - SoA,Tarja,Redemption,Voyager,Vuur++
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
Is there a listing of the 2019 bands already?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »

Wednesday, Day 1:

Pretty Maids (Denmark) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Insomnium (Finland)
Secret Sphere (Italy) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Iron Mask (Multi-national) *US EXCLUSIVE*

Thursday, Day 2:

Evergrey (Sweden)
Galneryus (Japan) *US EXCLUSIVE*
MaYaN (Multi-national)
Tomorrow’s Eve (German) *US EXCLUSIVE*

Friday, Day 3:

Seventh Wonder (Sweden)
ORDEN OGAN (Germany)
Psychotic Waltz (USA)
Barren Earth (Finland)
Subsignal (Germany)
Wind Rose (Italy)

Saturday, Day 4:

Demons & Wizards (Multi-national)
Threshold (UK)
Poets of the Fall (Finland)
Caligula’s Horse (Australia)
Jag Panzer (USA)
Sorcerer (Sweden)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
Damn, Friday and Saturday. I need that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
My biggest issue is that some of my big hitters are spread out. I could potentially do Friday/Saturday next year, but we'll see. The two bands I haven't seen that are huge on this list are Secret Sphere and Subsignal. The former I can forget about now unless there are some dropout/replacement issues that make Wed/Thu more appealing. Psychotic Waltz I'm not familiar with, but given how much I enjoy Deadsoul Tribe they would certainly be great to see. And day four has Threshold, which will be fantastic, but I did just see them twice. Then there is a large slot of bands I'd likely enjoy, but have no burning desire to see such as Demons and Wizards and Caligula's Horse.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 5-8 2019 -
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
I'm with ya there Nick.  There's 1 band on 3/4 days that I'm super interested in; with 2 bands super appealing on Friday (Subsignal and SW).  The rest fall between meh, and never heard of them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

confused by Poets of the Fall getting an invite, not sure how they fit in.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
confused by Poets of the Fall getting an invite, not sure how they fit in.
No kidding, they're an alt rock band.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
how can this festival have their line-up complete for the next year already?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
how can this festival have their line-up complete for the next year already?

I mean it's not like this is the first time it's been done (as far as I know, they have at least been doing it since last year), they have to plan this well in advance.

Poets of the Fall doesn't do much for me but this year kinda rekindled my love for power metal as well so I'm super stoked for next year's lineup. Every day has something great for me and Demons & Wizards and Seventh Wonder is enough to justify the trip for me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I don't think I've heard of a single band on the bill for next year, so not thinking that I'll be popping my ProgPower cherry in 2019 :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have heard of two of them outside of Evergrey.  But even then, I haven't heard any of their music and don't really have any desire to.  So, yeah, I am not foreseeing a trip to this either.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Next year is not very interesting for me as well.  Seventh Wonder would be awesome, but as it stands now, I won't be attending next year.  Having said that, I'd bet I'd like a lot of these bands and the atmosphere alone is worth the trip for anyone on the fence. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Sorry to say, I'm not even in the same neighborhood as the fence right now.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry to say, I'm not even in the same neighborhood as the fence right now.  :lol

Oh me neither, not without knowing more of these bands, just saying for anyone else  :lol  I've got a year to possibly get into some of these bands and do it, but I just think it's unlikely.  Maybe PP is an every other year thing for me. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Very unlikely that I'll get to go, but Saturday would be the day I'd like the most. Caligua's Horse, Demons and Wizards, Threshold...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Damn noobs. :lol

Every year for at least, like 10 or so years now the festival has announced the lineup for the next year during the current festival.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Would definitely like to check it out one year just because of the atmosphere and whatnot, but if I'm gonna pay for airfare in addition to the concerts there's gotta be at least a couple bands who are draws for me. Only reason I'm doing ProgStock this year is because it's practically in my backyard.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Would definitely like to check it out one year just because of the atmosphere and whatnot, but if I'm gonna pay for airfare in addition to the concerts there's gotta be at least a couple bands who are draws for me. Only reason I'm doing ProgStock this year is because it's practically in my backyard.

And to grope me.  Admit it.  You want to squeeze the Charmin.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

And to grope me.  Admit it.  You want to squeeze the Charmin.

It's going to be a cuddle puddle of epic proportions.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
*squealing like a teenage girl*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nvandyk1

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »
Apparently Redemption performed their set list for the cameras before the doors opened yesterday.  And of course filmed the actual show too, but I guess their blu-ray will be a lot of the footage from before the real show and then cut into the crowd shots.  Kind of sucks when I heard that, but I guess it's a one time thing and they wanted to make sure it was right (especially the history of mics not working from the first 2 days).

Also, Chris Poland coming out was sick.  That was a nice surprise and I'm definitely surprised that their cover of Peace Sells is going to be on their video.

Most of the footage will be from Friday night; we did a song Thursday morning that we did not do Friday night in order to make room for Peace Sells, and we did Threads with Tom singing, so those will be used from the morning show.

Peace Sells will be on the audio CD that comes out but not on video. Different economics to play music that is sync’d to video versus just audio. So that was indeed a special moment reserved for those st the show.

And yes, it was sick! :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »

Wednesday, Day 1:

Pretty Maids (Denmark) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Insomnium (Finland)
Secret Sphere (Italy) *US EXCLUSIVE*
Iron Mask (Multi-national) *US EXCLUSIVE*

Thursday, Day 2:

Evergrey (Sweden)
Galneryus (Japan) *US EXCLUSIVE*
MaYaN (Multi-national)
Tomorrow’s Eve (German) *US EXCLUSIVE*

Friday, Day 3:

Seventh Wonder (Sweden)
ORDEN OGAN (Germany)
Psychotic Waltz (USA)
Barren Earth (Finland)
Subsignal (Germany)
Wind Rose (Italy)

Saturday, Day 4:

Demons & Wizards (Multi-national)
Threshold (UK)
Poets of the Fall (Finland)
Caligula’s Horse (Australia)
Jag Panzer (USA)
Sorcerer (Sweden)

Add "Rainbow" or "Kiss" to that, and that could be any roulette I've ever played in here.  I haven't heard of one of those bands. 

Offline Anguyen92

The only band I recognized from the 2019 line-up is Poets of the Fall and they are a damn good band to me.  I just think it's a bloody shame they are not big enough to do more touring outside of their home country of Finland.  I don't know if ProgPower will be that outlet to get them to do more touring in the states (since as mentioned, they are not a prog-ish band, but more of an alternative rock band that does create some pretty vibrant lyrics more than their tag would imply).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2018, 07:29:00 PM »
Apparently Redemption performed their set list for the cameras before the doors opened yesterday.  And of course filmed the actual show too, but I guess their blu-ray will be a lot of the footage from before the real show and then cut into the crowd shots.  Kind of sucks when I heard that, but I guess it's a one time thing and they wanted to make sure it was right (especially the history of mics not working from the first 2 days).

Also, Chris Poland coming out was sick.  That was a nice surprise and I'm definitely surprised that their cover of Peace Sells is going to be on their video.

Most of the footage will be from Friday night; we did a song Thursday morning that we did not do Friday night in order to make room for Peace Sells, and we did Threads with Tom singing, so those will be used from the morning show.

Peace Sells will be on the audio CD that comes out but not on video. Different economics to play music that is sync’d to video versus just audio. So that was indeed a special moment reserved for those st the show.

Ray and the Peace Sells cover with Poland made your set even way better. Tom did excellent too, also glad to have heard Black and White World live finally.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »

:metal thanks for clarifying, glad to have been apart of the special show  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
People haven't heard of Pretty Maids? Evergrey? Demons & Wizards (Iced Earth + Blind Guardian you faux-metalheads/old people!)? Threshold? Seventh Wonder? You all disappoint me. Next year's lineup is just fine. Who cares if you don't know them... you have a whole fucking year to sample them FFS  :lol

Stadler, get out of your rocking chair and go listen to Pretty Maids, I can't believe you've never heard of them. They're a hard rock band from 1981 you old fart  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2018, 01:45:39 AM »
Psychotic Waltz I'm not familiar with, but given how much I enjoy Deadsoul Tribe they would certainly be great to see.

Then you definitely need to check out PW. They're a fantastic band, technical with great guitar harmonies, but heavy. I was happy to see them a couple of years ago when they re-united in the original line-up. They're working on a new album, as well.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
People haven't heard of Pretty Maids? Evergrey? Demons & Wizards (Iced Earth + Blind Guardian you faux-metalheads/old people!)? Threshold? Seventh Wonder? You all disappoint me. Next year's lineup is just fine. Who cares if you don't know them... you have a whole fucking year to sample them FFS  :lol

Stadler, get out of your rocking chair and go listen to Pretty Maids, I can't believe you've never heard of them. They're a hard rock band from 1981 you old fart  :lol

He's heard of, and HEARD, them.  I sent Pandemonium to him in his roulette.  Bill... it was the song with the Obama clips as the intro.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Automatic purchase.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

He's heard of, and HEARD, them.  I sent Pandemonium to him in his roulette.  Bill... it was the song with the Obama clips as the intro.

No, I remember.   I didn't get past 0:40 seconds.    No, I'm kidding, I thought it was good.   I don't remember the score, but the music was awesome; I remember the vocals a little generic on the verses, but the chorus was catchy and overall, I'd give an album a listen.   I thought they were good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pretty Maids had a song on MTV in the mid to late 80's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

I would still give Poets of the Fall a recommendation to listen to.  They are most known for the song "Late Goodbye" that was in the video game Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne.  The first album, Signs of Life, is really good especially Illusion & Dream.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just my two cents: I don't think Tom Englund is a good frontman, at least not from that Redemption set. Disclaimer: I've never seen him live before, even in videos, but I was told he plays guitar as well, and this was his first show with the band (second if you count the special set). He was trudging around the stage looking bored out of his mind and his singing had zero energy and emotion. Not sure what's up but it was just boring to watch considering the high energy of almost every other band (a few guys around me agreed). The rest of the band was heavy, tight as hell, the lights and production were great, and Vikram defines what an energetic keyboardist should look like on stage, what a delight he was to watch. Very nice guy too and a joy to talk to.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:15:56 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Just my two cents: I don't think Tom Englund is a good frontman, at least not from that Redemption set. Disclaimer: I've never seen him live before, even in videos, but I was told he plays guitar as well, and this was his first show with the band (second if you count the special set). He was trudging around the stage looking bored out of his mind and his singing had zero energy and emotion. Not sure what's up but it was just boring to watch considering the high energy of almost every other band (a few guys around me agreed). They're simply not for me, but at least the rest of the band was heavy, tight as hell, the lights and production were great, and Vikram defines what an energetic keyboardist should look like on stage, what a delight he was to watch. Very nice guy too and a joy to talk to.

Vik is indeed a great addition and a wonderful person. More important for Tom I think, other than being "just a singer" in Redemption is this is really the first time he's spending a whole show singing somebody else's lyrics, their vocal melodies, over their music. Tom is great at writing for himself, and his singing with Evergrey is top notch, especially if you go back and listen to the emotion oozing from an album like In Search of Truth. That said I still believe that he isn't quite the right fit for Redemption. That said I enjoyed the hell out of their set.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just my two cents: I don't think Tom Englund is a good frontman, at least not from that Redemption set. Disclaimer: I've never seen him live before, even in videos, but I was told he plays guitar as well, and this was his first show with the band (second if you count the special set). He was trudging around the stage looking bored out of his mind and his singing had zero energy and emotion. Not sure what's up but it was just boring to watch considering the high energy of almost every other band (a few guys around me agreed). They're simply not for me, but at least the rest of the band was heavy, tight as hell, the lights and production were great, and Vikram defines what an energetic keyboardist should look like on stage, what a delight he was to watch. Very nice guy too and a joy to talk to.

Vik is indeed a great addition and a wonderful person. More important for Tom I think, other than being "just a singer" in Redemption is this is really the first time he's spending a whole show singing somebody else's lyrics, their vocal melodies, over their music. Tom is great at writing for himself, and his singing with Evergrey is top notch, especially if you go back and listen to the emotion oozing from an album like In Search of Truth. That said I still believe that he isn't quite the right fit for Redemption. That said I enjoyed the hell out of their set.

Yeah, I was disappointed having just a few weeks ago gotten into Evergrey in a big way. His singing was a big part of why I enjoy the Evergrey albums that I am familiar with so much (Recreation Day and Solitude Dominance Tragedy specifically, incredible albums, ISOT is also good but I need to play it more to get familiar with it). I also know those albums were a long time ago but I guess I couldn't temper my expectations very well. I did meet him in the courtyard later and although he looked, uh... hammered, he was nice for the few seconds I talked to him.