Author Topic: Formula One anybody?  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Formula One anybody?
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 05:52:25 AM »
Valentino Rossi is my current favorite motorcycle racer.

Change current with all time and it makes two of us *wink*

The man is a freak of nature.

Hell yeah. The dude is superhuman.  :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 06:22:38 AM »
Valentino Rossi is my current favorite motorcycle racer.

Change current with all time and it makes two of us *wink*

The man is a freak of nature.

Hell yeah. The dude is superhuman.  :metal
Valentino is awesome but if he's a freak of nature then I don't wanna know what John McGuiness and the guys in Isle of Man TT are?  :P Valentino even said it's too dangerous.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 07:32:55 AM »
Isle of man is insanity. Very unique, one of a kind course, but I'll just stick to riding on dedicated racetracks. Too many true pros get into issues on isle of man.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »
Sainz takes Alonso's spot at McLaren.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138057/sainz-secures-alonso-mclaren-seat-for-2019

Musical chairs this season.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
I know there was lots of complaining about the halos this year, but it looks like they saved Charles LeClerc's life yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6ZcYfH7FQ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
Yes, that accident was super scary. Don't think the teams or drivers can complain about this anymore. I'm sure the halo can be improved to fit the aerodynamic needs of the cars, but it shouldn't be removed.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »
The halo is here to stay at this point. Hulkenberg's super license should be revoked.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Today's race at Monza is the first one since I started watching last season where I found every lap to be interesting.  Very entertaining race.  Crushing for Ferrari (especially Kimi!) fans, but I don't really have any favorites.  I would only pick Ferrari because they are down and have a chance to pick off Merc, but it's harder and harder every week.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2018, 03:48:07 AM »
I'm out of objects to throw at the TV in rage.

Ferrari is wasting opportunity after opportunity with a superior car this year. Vettel - psychologically dominated by Hamilton - just can't understand you don't win races in the first lap but you can definitely lose them. While the engineering section has concocted a wonderful car, team management is simply amateurish, falling for every Mercedes feint.

Championship's gone, I am focking livid.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:57:51 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2018, 06:12:51 AM »
The last couple of years Vettel has shown that he is not as good a driver as everyone thinks he is. He has 4 titles because that Red Bull he drove was ridiculously superior to the rest of the cars. I watched just part of the race yesterday and I found it very interesting compared to past years in Monza and I certainly would have liked for Kimi to win. As much as I despise Ferrari I do have a fondness for him from his time at McLaren.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2018, 06:18:37 AM »
The last couple of years Vettel has shown that he is not as good a driver as everyone thinks he is. He has 4 titles because that Red Bull he drove was ridiculously superior to the rest of the cars.

Completely agreed, and even during those winning years he struggled like a bitch whenever he couldn't start from grid 1.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
As a longtime Ferrari supporter it's good to see either of the guys regularly on the podium this year, and a good chunck of last season. But with regard to Vettel, I think he makes to many mistakes (some even border-line rookie mistakes) to win the championship. The way he spun out on Monza last sunday could perhaps be excused as a race incident if done by any other driver, but a driver with that amount of experience shouldn't do things like that. Had he kept it cool he should have entered P3 behind Hamilton into Turn 4 and tried to overtake him before Parabolica perhaps, with a good line through Variante Ascari. 

Side note: Been a F1 since 1999. And considering that amounts to 19 of the 28 1/2 years I've lived so far I would call that longtime in my case.  :biggrin:
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2018, 04:57:38 AM »
Just saw Sophia Flörsch crash, damn that was horrible.  :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2018, 06:16:37 AM »
That crash was gnarly!

The first F1 race I watched was US Grand Prix. It's been cool to watch some form of racing again. I used to be big into MotoGP until Marco Simoncelli...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 05:06:17 AM »
Saw that the other day. That was horrific to say the least.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2018, 12:55:54 PM »
Went to my first ever GP race last summer in Montreal.  Fantastic ambiance, great view.  Unfortunately it was one of the worst and most boring race of the year.  Overall, there has been many good races.  The boring ones are about the same each year.  Some circuits are simply useless to F1.  About Sophia Flörsch crash, it looks like she went over and got flying by hitting a rear wheel.  She must have been coming way too fast before that corner.  Breaks problem, a driver mistake?  I don't know but never saw someone fly like that.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline jasc15

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »
I never saw Alonso in his prime, but reading about recent F1 history, he has become my favorite driver.  It always hurts me more to see him retire a race than other drivers.  So it was great to see Lewis and Sebastian drive with him on the cool down lap and join each other for doughnuts afterward.  Nice to see him part of the post race interviews, too.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »
Alonso has always been my favorite driver.  Too bad he lost his time the past 5 years or so driving for backmarkers.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »
He probably still is the best driver in F1, however he always generated political issues in the teams he was in which is why he wasn't at the top. As one ex-ferrari guy said, had Alonso been in Ferrari this year he would be the champion.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »
Best driver of his generation.

His radio-com during the last lap is priceless, and classic proud warrior Alonso:

Team (failing to provide a decent car in 5 years): "Push for overtaking 10th position, we gotta take that 1 point!"

Alonso (two times world champion): "I have gained more than 1800 points in my career, thank you"

Offline jasc15

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »
Yeah that was great, but there was no way he was taking 10th with only a few laps to go.  Even his time penalty for bypassing the chicane cost him nothing effectively.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »
I'm going to the Canadian Grand Prix!  Leaving NJ early Friday morning, but we'll miss FP1.  There are a bunch of support races which should provide plenty to watch.  One is Ferrari challenge, which is basically concierge racing for rich people.  There is also a Porsche gt3 cup and f1600.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
I'm going to the Canadian Grand Prix!  Leaving NJ early Friday morning, but we'll miss FP1.  There are a bunch of support races which should provide plenty to watch.  One is Ferrari challenge, which is basically concierge racing for rich people.  There is also a Porsche gt3 cup and f1600.

How did you enjoy the weekend? It looked like a fantastic area to be in. I could go either way with that penalty call...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »
Yeah, that penalty call was "complicated". Either way, Seb showed once again that he cracks under pressure, and that his 4 titles were exclusively due to him having a superior car.