Author Topic: New Interview With James LaBrie  (Read 5641 times)

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
New Interview With James LaBrie
« on: September 16, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »
Hey all!
A few short hours ago I had the tremendous pleasure of chatting to JLB over the phone  ;D
The PR specified that the interview had to be mostly about Images and Words, because as we know they're touring in celebration of it's 25th anniversary. As a result I couldn't press the legendary pirate :yarr  for any new info on the next album or anything like that, but it turned out to be an awesome nostalgic conversation about the band's past! And some interesting information about the present and future did make appearances as well!  :metal
Read and listen here:

https://overdrive-mag.com/2017/09/17/listen-interview-dream-theaters-james-labrie/

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated!

We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline MirrorMask

Re: New Interview With James LaBrie
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
Read it! Yeah, you were guided into doing a pretty "safe" interview, but still it's nice to read James reminiscing about it. I like how they have already an idea about the next album, maybe that will keep the songwriting focused and oriented, and they will take their time to come out with something really nice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »
Nice interview, cool words from JLB for ending. Of course there is no doubt that Images & Words made DT big and worldwide known band, for many of us it's their best album up to date. For me for example ;) Thanks for sharing an interview  :yarr

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
Good interview! Some interesting comments about the new album. It makes me think that maybe the next one won't be an all out, heavy, ToT style album.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
Cool interview.  I don't think I heard before that Wait For Sleep was one take.  Also enjoyed the other parts.  I'd be interested to hear more about what their families thought. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 07:53:15 PM »
Great interview!  :metal

So James basically confirmed my suspicions about DT14 probably being released in 2019. That's a very long wait  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
They've been releasing albums every two years for a very long time. Three years per album wouldn't be too bad now.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »
And maybe this will happen just because TA was a double album and DT toured almost 2 years after its release.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
Really cool interview. I'm bringing my daughter to the show, who is significantly younger than 15 (she's 9). I can only bring her to specific shows that I know are seated, or at least fairly calm, crowd-wise. But she asked me to go because she loves Images and Words, and JLB's singing (no offense JLB, she asked if you were a girl - lol). She can't wait. She has Setlist Scotty's 25th Anniversary of Dream Theater poster framed and hanging in her bedroom.

Gonna be a great night for my wife and I to share an album that we both love (not to mention ACOS) with our kid. Gonna be fun. Hoping to find JLB at some point and see if we can get a picture. :) Probably a slim chance, but it would be pretty awesome.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
Best luck on that!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 01:19:14 AM »
They've been releasing albums every two years for a very long time. Three years per album wouldn't be too bad now.
The problem is that this time we won't have a DVD or a live version in the middle to wait for the next release...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:07 AM »
The problem is that this time we won't have a DVD or a live version in the middle to wait for the next release...

It's going to be a long long wait. JP has just been confirmed for a G3 tour in Jan-Feb, so they'll most likely enter the studio in mid 2018, for a possible late 2018/early 2019 release  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline LPMX

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:55 AM »

It's going to be a long long wait. JP has just been confirmed for a G3 tour in Jan-Feb, so they'll most likely enter the studio in mid 2018, for a possible late 2018/early 2019 release  :'(
Maybe we'll get a new JP solo album... One can hope... :|

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »

Maybe we'll get a new JP solo album... One can hope... :|

I think JP is trying to compete with Tool on which album takes more time to be released, he's been talking about it since 2010 iirc  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 06:59:18 AM »
I really hope SA gets a follow up from JP because of this G3 tour. He already has several songs written that he performed last time around with G3, I'd love another solo album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
I really hope SA gets a follow up from JP because of this G3 tour. He already has several songs written that he performed last time around with G3, I'd love another solo album.

I remember an interview with JP where he said he already has all the songs written for his solo album, he just hasn't recorded them yet  :huh:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

I remember an interview with JP where he said he already has all the songs written for his solo album, he just hasn't recorded them yet  :huh:

:lol Yea... he should do that...

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »

"We all long for a better life DT14"  :angel:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »

"We all long for a better life DT14"  :angel:

Nailed it!  :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
Release date: Far in the distant future
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
Release date: Far in the distant future

:rollin

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
Good interview! Some interesting comments about the new album. It makes me think that maybe the next one won't be an all out, heavy, ToT style album.

I missed that part. What did LaBrie say about the direction of the new album?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
That's the point, he deliberately said nothing. It seems they have already an idea about the direction, but they don't want to say it or hint about it yet.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
Yeah, he didn't say anything explicitly, but he was talking about the reaction they were getting from people, and then he said:

It also creates our conversation, obviously in 2018 I think our focus will be solely on recording a new album, writing a new album and then 2019 coming out with a new album and a new world tour. But it also kind of lends itself to the reaction that we’re seeing from people, that leads us to where we wanna go with new album.

Maybe I picked it up wrong, but it seemed to me that because of the reaction they've received to the I&W / ACoS songs, they might do something more in that vein.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
Awesome read!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Yeah, he didn't say anything explicitly, but he was talking about the reaction they were getting from people, and then he said:

It also creates our conversation, obviously in 2018 I think our focus will be solely on recording a new album, writing a new album and then 2019 coming out with a new album and a new world tour. But it also kind of lends itself to the reaction that we’re seeing from people, that leads us to where we wanna go with new album.

Maybe I picked it up wrong, but it seemed to me that because of the reaction they've received to the I&W / ACoS songs, they might do something more in that vein.

I see now. That makes sense. But I thought Petrucci said in the interview with The Captain that the album would be heavy.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
I remember JP making those sort of noises in that interview too.

I suppose it's best not to read too much into any of these throwaway interview comments.

Offline Evai

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
They already tried to recreate I&W with ADToE though
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:00 AM »
Great Interview, I honestly could handle it if they kept touring older albums. SFAM in Australia..  :)
I feel like James cops a bit of flak, I heard it in Sydney .. though he was talking of jet lag a bit during the concert.
But seeing him after the show talking to a singer about different exercises he could do to warm up his vocals was really nice.
They are really great down to earth people. So it is nice they take the time out to do interviews such as this and the JP one.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 08:52:17 AM »
They already tried to recreate I&W with ADToE though

See what you did there!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Evai

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:48 AM »
I mean... It's not a joke, it's just what they did  :D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »
Should have asked him if he pulled the Napalm Death T-shirt out of mothballs for the tour.  :justjen
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »
I feel like James cops a bit of flak, I heard it in Sydney .. though he was talking of jet lag a bit during the concert.

"Well fuck you, you just came from Korea"
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
I mean... It's not a joke, it's just what they did  :D

Not really.

Offline Evai