Author Topic: Greg Howe  (Read 733 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Greg Howe
« on: September 08, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
 I assume that most of you know this amazing guitar player. I've been a fan since the early 90's, and had the chance to interview him recently!!! Here's the link to the interview: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/greg-howe/

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Greg Howe
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
I've only heard his debut album and it's great as do most of those 80s guitar Shrapnel albums

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
I've only heard his debut album and it's great as do most of those 80s guitar Shrapnel albums

He' done amazing albums since then, and even played with Michael Jackson. For DT fans, I think his only neoclassical album called "Ascend", will be the one that interests you the most. We spoke about it in the interview - he hated the end result.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 12:35:36 AM »
Good job on the interview!

He's selling himself short with regards to High Definition and Ascend; I get that it wasn't where his heart was at, but IMO he outdid himself on those two playing-wise and his progressive, fusiony approach to the neo-classical style was a breath of fresh air.

I was never a fan of that one, mostly due to the offensively trebly production. His playing and songwriting were still embryonic compared to what he'd achieve from Introspection on as well. Actually, I recommend giving that one a listen, it ought to knock your socks right off.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 12:39:45 AM »
He's actually one shredder I never really got into, no reason why.  From what I've seen he rips it up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:34:37 AM »
I didn't like his early Shrapnel albums - that tone was too fizzy for me, but his later fusion stuff is incredible. I have Wheelhouse and Introspection and a couple of albums with Richie Kotzen, another player who I didn't really like the early stuff of for the same reason.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:27:15 AM by Lowdz »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 05:37:47 AM »
I came to hear of him by way of some of Simon Phillips' solo albums, liked him on these. (and btw, the first time I heard him I thought: ah, is he related to Steve Howe? (because of his last name :D Musically, he is different of course, as I know now.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:51:32 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:14:46 AM »
I am not familiar with his discography, but I really like the album he recorded with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chamber, "Extration". Great album for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf4Yyh5VO-U

Closing track of the album
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
Good job on the interview!

He's selling himself short with regards to High Definition and Ascend; I get that it wasn't where his heart was at, but IMO he outdid himself on those two playing-wise and his progressive, fusiony approach to the neo-classical style was a breath of fresh air.

I was never a fan of that one, mostly due to the offensively trebly production. His playing and songwriting were still embryonic compared to what he'd achieve from Introspection on as well. Actually, I recommend giving that one a listen, it ought to knock your socks right off.

I'm with you. I think Ascend is amazing, and it goes to show how professional he is. He didn't appreciate that style, but did the album anyway, and it sounds incredible!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 09:20:31 AM »
Introspection was the album I listened to most for some reason - not my normal style but enjoyed it.   If you don't mind his brother's voice there's some good hard rock songs on the Howe II albums.  (High Gear and Now Hear This).
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »
Introspection was the album I listened to most for some reason - not my normal style but enjoyed it.   If you don't mind his brother's voice there's some good hard rock songs on the Howe II albums.  (High Gear and Now Hear This).

His brother sounds a lot like David Lee Roth. I have zero issues with his voice. But the mix in those old albums is far from the best.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 09:38:09 AM »
Pretty much all the Shrapnel stuff sounded like shit  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bentower

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
Hyperacuity was the first one that sounded alright across the board, but I did like Greg's tone starting with Introspection. The acoustic piezo sound à la Five however...
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
Picked up Ascend and Introspection for a dollar each here at the local Movie Trading Company.  :) Phenomenal player. Always love listening to his soloing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 12:08:51 AM »
I am not familiar with his discography, but I really like the album he recorded with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chamber, "Extration". Great album for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf4Yyh5VO-U

Closing track of the album

I’ve played that on YouTube. Very good album.

I never liked Howe II. That fizzy tone and thought it lacked any decent songs. Years since I played it though and I’ve changed my mind about a lot of albums in recent times.