Author Topic: Magma  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
Magma
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:20:22 AM »
Anyone check this band out?  They were a progressive rock band in the 70s generally credited with starting the subgenre "Zeuhl".  I've checked out Mekanik Destrutkiw Kommandoh and it's both bizarre and incredibly epic, and I'm really liking it.  Apparently all of their albums follow a central concept (sort of like what Coheed and Cambria are doing nowadays) but are actually performed in a language completely invented by the drummer.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Magma
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »
I had sampled a couple of things by Magma, and they were definitely out there.  I guess I was under the wrong impression that they were singing in French or German.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »
Nope.  The language is called "Kobaian" and it was made up by the drummer, Christian Vander.  Their music definitely fits the term "progressive" better than most bands given that label around here.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
I'm reviving this thread to say Magma is one of the greatest bands out there. Such an amazing idea for music. Most people wouldn't like it because it's so different, but really their music is something special.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
It’s quite possible that I might win for biggest bump in dream theater forum history....but I got to do some digging tonight into the history of National Lampoon...and it somehow led me on a trail to this band who recorded a song for a silly adult cartoon parody of Tarzan that came out in the 70s (the US version of which was voiced by Bill Murray, Christopher Guest and John Belushi).

But it took me to Wikipedia (and subsequently YouTube) to check out this odd band that were WAAAAAY ahead of their time.

Anyone listen to these guys?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Bentower

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:20:19 AM »
A top-/god-tier band for me. One of Earth's finest and word has it it's the same on Kobaïa as well!  :biggrin:

Their 2001 DVD Theusz Hamtaahk - Trilogie Au Trianon was my introduction. Being a proper jump in at the deep end it took me some time to digest and appreciate. The intensity of the performance was downright frightening at first, but little by little I came upon its deeper layers of ecstatic bliss and otherworldly beauty. I believe it's the way Christian Vander has channeled his singular vision into the music for 50 years that sets them apart from all the others. That man is truly a force of nature!

I'm fortunate enough to have seen them live four times since 2013. If I were to single out the band's most amazing works, I'd go with Köhntarkösz, Ẁurdah Ïtah and De Futura.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.