Author Topic: 2017-09-20 Palais Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia  (Read 7400 times)

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
2017-09-20 Palais Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
Anyone else going to the Melbourne show?
And are you going to the Meet and Greet as well?

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017-09-20 Palais Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
Well looks like I was the only one off the boards to go ...   ::)

So I was able to check in at my hotel just after 2pm, so I was glad about that after flying in from seeing the Sydney show the night before.
(I live in Melbourne, I just live over an hour away from the venue)

We had to get to the meet and greet at 5pm, so I decided to wander over just after 4.30pm, as I exit the lift, I hear a voice... I know that voice ... It was JR chatting to a couple.
I leave them and wander over. Chat to a few guys outside, one guy from Melbourne, two from Perth and one from Brisbane.
I could guess there were probably just under 100 of us there, I came with extra photo's, my Systematic Chaos programme from 2008, then realized I forgot the CD sleeves of An evening with JP and JR and JP's Suspended Animation .. I wasn't going back they said 5 sharp, if you are late you miss out.
So wouldn't you know it started after 5.15pm .. we went through like cattle for the photo, then the signings, I can't speak for everyone who goes to these events but I feel a mixture of shy, nervous, rushed and I'm not worthy all at once .. so I had photos of different members, JP signed a couple of extra and each person signed the programme except MM who I had sign Steve Vai Fire Garden  and Ultra Zone  programmes from when he was playing with Vai, they were all great, but I feel like I just was ordering sign this, sign that and you come away thinking shit, I barely spoke to them. They really need to include a 20 minute Q and A, after the signings when peoples nerves have calmed. But hey done now.  :)

So I had Row C Orchestra which is pretty good, if I say so myself but ..... front row in front of JP never turned up. 4 empty seats... who know what happened, but their loss is my gain.
Mine and the guy I sold the other ticket to, we said if it is empty when the lights go down, they're ours.
It was amazing, yes loud again, my ears are still buzzing, but even more amazing than Sydney....the seats would have something to do with it. Being short no one in front of you is amazing.
Set list the same, JLB sounded great, JP Spectacular. Everyone was at their best MM, JR and JMX. You can't beat JP standing almost in front of you playing a solo. I even managed to get a Pic from him at the end of the night, he seemed to toss a few to the front row. Hells' Kitchen AMAZING! I would have loved them to play a second encore and repeat that, but that may have been just me wishing that.
I was just sorry it had to end, and we would be waiting at least a couple more years for the next.

So went back to the hotel and the guy from Brisbane, sorry forgetting names, was already waiting, we decided to see who would come back. Within minutes JP flew by, JLB stayed to chat for a few minutes while waiting for a fork, MM flew by, JR flew by after quick hello's, and we figure JMX was in Ninja mode, we never even saw him.
Manny, JP's guitar tech was amazing, he stayed to chat for a while, he explained how logistically Australia is a nightmare to tour, we agreed, we understand, but we still love them to.
That capped off a fantastic couple of days.

Then I see JP is playing G3 with Joe Satriani and Phil Collen in the US while I am there, without hesitation (and maybe still on a high from these last two concerts) I book Philly! Can't wait!  :tup

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:07:46 PM by lucky7 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »
JLB stayed to chat for a few minutes while waiting for a fork
You meant forklift, right?

When I met the guys after the Vienna show in 2015, JM was also a ninja. Everybody except for him exited the venue and chatted before going into the bus, and then the bus left, leaving us thinking what kind of magic did JM apply.  :lol

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:39 AM »
^^No, it was most definitely a fork for his salad.  :angel:

JM may have snuck out as everyone is trying to exit the venue, I know from front row, it took about another ten minutes to get out.
At least he has a lot of side doors from back stage.

I feel sorry for anyone who had After show passes for Melbourne, as it looks like if they stuck around it was for only a short time.