Author Topic: Question About Acoustic Guitar String Height  (Read 1241 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Question About Acoustic Guitar String Height
« on: September 05, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
Hey All. I have an acoustic guitar that I love but I feel the strings are too high off the fret board. Is this just something I'm stuck with based on my guitar, or can I lower by buying a smaller saddle? Was just curious to see if there's anything cheaper I can do than buying a new guitar. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Question About Acoustic Guitar String Height
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 12:03:45 AM »
You can lower the stings in multiple ways, though I'd advise you to have it done by a professional. Trying to do it yourself can lead to damage and may likely get your guitar intonated wrongly. The string height can be adjusted in three different places: the bridge saddle, the nut at the head and by adjusting the truss-rod (if your guitar has one; it's a metal pin that runs through the neck, stabilising the entire wooden neck).

Usually the best way to go about this is to adjust the truss-rod so that the neck is straight (it might simply be curved slightly, thus increasing the action on the strings) and if that doesn't yield (enough) results, you can resort to filing out the bridge saddle and/or the nut. Again, I'd advise you to have a professional do this if you have no idea where to start. It's not really a difficult operation, so this can't be expensive. You definitely don't have to get a new guitar!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey