Author Topic: 17 Years Ago Today...  (Read 4174 times)

Offline cfmoran13

17 Years Ago Today...
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
... was the awesome Roseland Ballroom performance of Scenes From A Memory that was recorded for Live Scenes From New York.  This was such a phenomenal show to have gotten to witness live. 

Who else was there?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: 17 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »
That's awesome! I did not even become a fan till 2005. That had to be great!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
Over 3 hours of DT.  I loved that show!  My personal highlights were "The Spirit Carries On" and "A Change Of Seasons".

I remember my wife and I complaining our backs were killing us from standing for so long when it was over.  And, they played this video during intermission made up of all these scenes of disturbing imagery.  We were standing to the right of the stage underneath the VIP area where all the families were seated.  MP's wife was directly above us. 

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
"Sorry for the short set!"
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »
... was the awesome Roseland Ballroom performance of Scenes From A Memory that was recorded for Live Scenes From New York.  This was such a phenomenal show to have gotten to witness live. 

Who else was there?

I like the Score show better, but at that time it might have been the best Dream Theater show I'd see.

One of the things I remember was waiting in line and seeing Chris Noth walk by, stop and ask who the line was for. He had no idea when we told him and he just continued walking.

As great as it was, that show was an endurance test.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
I remember the band in one of the commentaries talking about how hot it was in the venue for the concert. How bad was it?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:10:24 AM »
I remember the band in one of the commentaries talking about how hot it was in the venue for the concert. How bad was it?
Looking back, I don't really remember anything about how hot it was.  All I can remember is constantly trying to stretch out my back to keep from tightening up.  It was a great show.  But, it was loooong!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
I'm sure it was a lot hotter on stage with the stage lights than it was in the crowd.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
Especially with the incandescent halogen stage lights back then. Those things blast out infrared, especially the PAR floodlights they loved to use for metal bands. That infrared basically turns the stage into a large microwave oven, and it gets hot.

Only the ETC Source Four spotlights seemed to be the only fixtures actually designed with the performers in mind. Before anybody else could follow suit the whole industry moved to LEDs and the point became moot.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Apparently, this happened during that show according to wiki.  I can believe that given the long set they did.

"Mike Portnoy collapsed after the show was over. The official statement on his FAQ reads: I collapsed due to over-exhaustion, dehydration, stress, too little food and nutrition, too many Red Bulls, etc. It took me several hours of throwing up, being wrapped in blankets and laying down before I was carried out of the venue hours after the show."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
Ugh. Mangini probably even wouldn't pass out from all of that for us. That's proof that MM loves the fans less.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:31:44 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grizz

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
robots can't love nor can they pass out
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »

It's was pretty hot. Sucked up a couple of liter bottles of Evian on the way back to the Path station

Much worse on stage I'm sure though.